Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

gently caress, wish I waited. I bought this at launch and haven't played through the games yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ah gently caress it I had a rewards cert ready so the game was $11.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Not worth it.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
It doesn't have Secret of Evermore so eh

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Leal posted:

First Nintendo doesn't put all 900 pokemon in sword and shield and now they won't even put kappa in animal crossing when will this attack against consumers end?

well, as a dying company that my uncle at nintendo told me is closing tomorrow, theres limited resources

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

ChocNitty posted:

Out of the hundreds of games i've played since I was a kid, less than 10 of them had story/writing I thought was good. Witcher 3 was one of them. History nerds can tell that the books its based on was written by someone who has a good understanding of medieval european life. And I love how you go into a quest thinking you're helping someone who's been victimized, but then you find out they're full of crap, much like real life. More games are starting to adopt this notion of there being two sides to every story.

:yeah: agreed

its still ultimately stuck in the confines of a game but I've gotten more fun and sense of actually causing things mattering because in large part the game is super smart in how it does present game world things in relation to the game's fundamental design along with knowing when to throw in lofty decisions given conditions like a) enough player resonance has been built up and b) how it it relates to other quest lines going on at the time and c) etc

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

during a buncha deciding moments theres often two main npc characters that one needs to side with, one of them being extremely duplicitous acting but sometimes in the end isn't but instead just shady by nature but honest

jukes future expectations

i dunno!

also been playing more and more dark souls. I'm understanding the dark soulsiness :hmmyes:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the side quests that involve gwent cards often involve murdering rivals and that seems kinda suspicious about the card collecting game player's writer's soul :thunk:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

But that's the only good part of any card collecting game?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

its been a total mess of hours since the witcher 3 patch happened and when i posted about not having any crashes since but remained wary

I've still had zero crashes :woop:

revelatory thanks to no longer being suspicious of doing quests centered around resource intensive areas because it might mean needing to manually regularly due to a software error closing the game screen

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I picked up botw and upon starting realised I should have grabbed it immediately when I got the switch. drat it's good.

Having to retrain my RPG brain. Keep busting out the big weapons all the time and then tell myself no, I don't need this flaming sword to dispatch these crappy little goblin dudes, just use a lovely stick spear. Does feel great when one is about to break so you just hurl it into their face

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

el dingo posted:

I picked up botw and upon starting realised I should have grabbed it immediately when I got the switch. drat it's good.

Having to retrain my RPG brain. Keep busting out the big weapons all the time and then tell myself no, I don't need this flaming sword to dispatch these crappy little goblin dudes, just use a lovely stick spear. Does feel great when one is about to break so you just hurl it into their face

absolutely. besides maybe keeping an elemental sword on hand (like flame one to stay warm while in the colder places etc) the system in that game works so nice for encouraging the player to go with the flow and break blades while breaking faces

I've been playing witcher 3 after first playing botw and this garbage about needing to applying foe specific oils alongside using repair kits on swords is trash :barf:

launching a weapon into a things face knowing it will hit with double damage and then you go steal their club or whatever is right :radcat:

not that i dont like witcher but i understand why people on a PC use mods

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Does the new Miku game have a US release date yet?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
My son has asked for a Pokemon game for his 6th birthday. Despite being a Mario/Zelda fanboy I have no interest in or knowledge of Pokemon. My son also has no experience with them apart from a bit of Pokemon GO on my wife's phone.

It appears the choice is between one of the Let's Go games and the new Sword/Shield games. From a bit of reading it appears that Let's Go might be more appropriate for younger players - simpler mechanics, less text and the option for co-op if his older sister wants to play or I want to jump in and help.

Is this the right decision given the above? If so, is there any difference between the two Let's Go games?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Yes a Pokémon for a six year old who is graduating from Pokémon Go would be Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, the Let's Go! games are 100% supposed to be Baby's First Pokemon for players coming off Pokemon Go.

Generally the differences between Pokemon versions are deliberately minor, and easy enough to pick literally based on which critter on the box you like better.

Bulgakov posted:

the side quests that involve gwent cards often involve murdering rivals and that seems kinda suspicious about the card collecting game player's writer's soul :thunk:

Have you not seen the card game documentary Yu-Gi-Oh!

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Nice one - thanks both.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/KGXHWQw.gifv

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgACcUDttQ0

Better with sound.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As much fun as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is, disappointing we haven't seen any more content. As long as they're turning it into a minor Smash Bros, a proper Splatoon racing track would be kickass. Especially if they have an Octo Expansion styled one.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Need to get rid of the voices and just have the sound effects.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

el dingo posted:

Having to retrain my RPG brain. Keep busting out the big weapons all the time and then tell myself no, I don't need this flaming sword to dispatch these crappy little goblin dudes, just use a lovely stick spear.

You and I are very different people. In games with weapon durability I never want to use my good stuff because I always feel like I might need it later. It's the same instinct that leads to hoarding dozens and dozens of elixers I never use in every Final Fantasy game.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Costco Members can get the Animal Crossing SE Switch, Aloha Carrying Case, & 12 months of Family NSO for $329.99.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

el dingo posted:

one hit obliterator and never look back

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

2002 called, it wants it's edgy sprite animations back.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

:tipshat:

if this shows up in store (assumed it won't i didn't expect this system version to exist on shelves) and i catch it and feel in the mood to sell my original hackable version to pay it all off...

yes

Bulgakov fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 24, 2020

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Detective No. 27 posted:

2002 called, it wants it's edgy sprite animations back.

well you can tell 2002 to gently caress right off why should they get to have all the fun

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Counterpoint: it's cool and good and scratches a nostalgic itch. The first 2 games are short and pretty and have good music.

The game play is old but again, its short.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

they should release animal crossing right now instead of next month, in my opinion

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same, but also Doom Eternal and Half Life Alyx

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

romanowski posted:

they should release animal crossing right now instead of next month, in my opinion

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I demand a two month delay in order for Nintendo to add more KK Slider songs.

However many there are now isn't enough, and the game is incomplete.

cats
May 11, 2009

Business posted:

I heard the mario party game isn't that good BUT would love a chill, easy to pick up 4 player type game. Anything other than Mario Kart that comes to mind?

I only saw one person mention this but the Jackbox Party Packs are great, they have ~5 different games in each one. Idk which pack is considered the best one but as far as the individual games go, we like Drawful and Fibbage. Most games support 4-8 players, although everyone needs their own smartphone. Also, may not always be child-appropriate, if that's a concern.

Re: Mario Party, I think it's a fine game. I bust it out with my boyfriend and his kids once a month or so and it hasn't gotten stale yet. It does feel a little light on content but we just started branching out into the river rafting game and the rhythm games, and that's plenty to keep us going. Works for all ages and all levels of gamer-ness.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Nice one - thanks both.

However, if you respect his intelligence get sword/shield.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Someday, maybe we'll get the Watcher update for Slay the Spire.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
OK yeah, now that I am a while more into BotW, it is a really amazing game.

I went ahead and bought the DLC for it because I am that kind of a nerd but ... Is the DLC any good? I suppose I should have asked first, but :shrug:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m playing the DLC now and I’m enjoying it. It’s giving me more to do while I put off killing Ganon

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

OK yeah, now that I am a while more into BotW, it is a really amazing game.

I went ahead and bought the DLC for it because I am that kind of a nerd but ... Is the DLC any good? I suppose I should have asked first, but :shrug:

BOTW has been growing on me the more I've played and I spent the better part of this weekend just running around trying to unlock towers and find shrines.

gently caress Akala Tower but also I took out my first 2 guardians there so :black101:

Game rules even though weapons breaking has lead me to running around with nothing but a torch because I'm an idiot.

Also gently caress thunderstorms.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

joylessdivision posted:

Also gently caress thunderstorms.

Take off your metal armor and stow your metal weapons!

e: I feel like this is one of the first big ones a lot of people encounter when they go a little galaxy-brain over "oh wow, that actually DOES that?" And there are a LOT more of these in your future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

King Crab posted:

It doesn't have Mystic Quest so eh