Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Delthalaz posted:

Do they sell any of those intubation machines on Amazon? Wanna stock up

heads up, costco have a 5 unit per customer limit on ecmo machines. had to take a bunch of them out my cart when I got to the till, boy was I embarrassed. still, got enough for myself and to hand out to family so it's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1231959925040939009?s=19

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Polo-Rican posted:

worth nothing that swine flu was 2009. america in 2020 is such a fuckin weird place, where we face insane horrors every day and just tweet "lol" about them, that i have no idea what to expect

self preservation is also a motivating factor. Not every boss is suicidally devoted to their job and plenty of people will willingly send their employees home to not get sick themselves.

What will drive this is govt orders to stay homeonce that happens, even the most stringent employers relent because it causes half the workers to stop going, and no one actually wants to try and hire new people during a pandemic.

but you are right that its 2020 and who fuckin knows lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Polo-Rican posted:

worth nothing that swine flu was 2009. america in 2020 is such a fuckin weird place, where we face insane horrors every day and just tweet "lol" about them, that i have no idea what to expect

I feel like in 2009, thinks weren't as hosed so we could muster more than a lol

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

it should be a goatse with a coronavirus covering the bung

Calm.jpg with the virus in the vagina

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

LOL this post alone will scare the US goons shitless. Why I am quoting it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

triple sulk posted:

i already posted this one!!

Yes you did! But it was 3 days ago, it's now more accurate than ever

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Once it hits the US, I'm guessing the Boomer panic will be epic once people realize it's really just a killer of old people.

Excuse me, old people and poor people.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/KQED/status/1232031893454913536?s=20

hmmm

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
When your landlord comes to drag our your half dead bulk and evict you, make sure to cough everywhere, especially the parasite's face :angel:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Start summarily executing people who eat anything other than beef, chicken, pork, veggies

sorry libs

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nonsense posted:

Start summarily executing people who eat anything other than beef, chicken, pork, veggies

sorry libs

Avian flu and swine flu are bad too, so we should all go vegan. PETA is right.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Are they saying we need to find better ways to make sure bat rear end is good for consumption?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

TODD BONZALEZ posted:

heads up, costco have a 5 unit per customer limit on ecmo machines. had to take a bunch of them out my cart when I got to the till, boy was I embarrassed. still, got enough for myself and to hand out to family so it's all good.

intubation is done unconscious and the ecmo machines are like hundreds of thousands to millions usd a pop

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nonsense posted:

sorry libs

What about french fries? :ohdear:

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

hahahahahaa :stoked:

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/1232033479925301248

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
we're so hosed lmao

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

vyst posted:

Calm.jpg with the virus in the vagina

vagirus

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
am i correct that the only major bad news today is that the virus is popping up in new middle eastern countries. like iraq and bahrain have maybe a couple of cases each

all in all an improvement to the weekend with 500 cases in south korea and 200 in italy out of nowhere

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/PaulBisceglio/status/1231987889858400256

quote:

The Harvard epidemiology professor Marc Lipsitch is exacting in his diction, even for an epidemiologist. Twice in our conversation he started to say something, then paused and said, “Actually, let me start again.” So it’s striking when one of the points he wanted to get exactly right was this: “I think the likely outcome is that it will ultimately not be containable.”

quote:

Lipsitch predicts that, within the coming year, some 40 to 70 percent of people around the world will be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. But, he clarifies emphatically, this does not mean that all will have severe illnesses. “It’s likely that many will have mild disease, or may be asymptomatic,” he said. As with influenza, which is often life-threatening to people with chronic health conditions and of older age, most cases pass without medical care. (Overall, around 14 percent of people with influenza have no symptoms.)

quote:

Overall, if all pieces fell into place, Hatchett guesses it would be 12 to 18 months before an initial product could be deemed safe and effective. That timeline represents “a vast acceleration compared with the history of vaccine development,” he told me. But it’s also unprecedentedly ambitious. “Even to propose such a timeline at this point must be regarded as hugely aspirational,” he added.

Even if that idyllic year-long projection were realized, the novel product would still require manufacturing and distribution. “An important consideration is whether the underlying approach can then be scaled to produce millions or even billions of doses in coming years,” Hatchett said. Especially in an ongoing emergency, if borders closed and supply chains broke, distribution and production could prove difficult purely as a matter of logistics.

Governments are unable to respond to this crisis for the exact same reason that capitalist governments are unable to respond effectively to the climate emergency. This could be tackled and addressed with an comparatively minuscule amount of money and effort, compared to what we spend on imperialism and doodads and enriching the billionaires. It won't be.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ShutteredIn posted:

we're so hosed lmao

:woop:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What's the active SA population? I already know the age split is 60% 40-49 and 40% over 50, so I I just need the goon size to calculate the dead count.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

stephenthinkpad posted:

LOL this post alone will scare the US goons shitless. Why I am quoting it.

If you're broke+uninsured and have a ludicrous ER bill it's probably a good idea to go to the hospital's billing department ASAP and try talking to something that looks relatively human; explain that you are unable to pay and if they do send collectors or sue you, all that will happen is you're forced to declare bankruptcy... which is a situation where everyone loses.

Since for-profit businesses generally prefer getting $something vs getting $0 and generating bad PR, there's a chance they'll be willing to look for an alternative. And if they say "lolno gently caress you" you're no worse off than you were before.

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes you did! But it was 3 days ago, it's now more accurate than ever

some jokes get better when repeated. like these:

Mayor Dave posted:

Trump will definitely not stop holding rallies lmao

Bip Roberts posted:

it should be a goatse with a coronavirus covering the bung

Are funnier today than they were when I made them days ago :v:

twoday
May 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

sorry libs

lol if you didn't already panickedly pack your freezer full of horse meat

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

silentsnack posted:

If you're broke+uninsured and have a ludicrous ER bill it's probably a good idea to go to the hospital's billing department ASAP and try talking to something that looks relatively human; explain that you are unable to pay and if they do send collectors or sue you, all that will happen is you're forced to declare bankruptcy... which is a situation where everyone loses.

Since for-profit businesses generally prefer getting $something vs getting $0 and generating bad PR, there's a chance they'll be willing to look for an alternative. And if they say "lolno gently caress you" you're no worse off than you were before.
Just make a deal where you promise to convince two other people that they need to get tested.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

this gang tag owns, hell yeah

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

poty posted:

am i correct that the only major bad news today is that the virus is popping up in new middle eastern countries. like iraq and bahrain have maybe a couple of cases each

all in all an improvement to the weekend with 500 cases in south korea and 200 in italy out of nowhere

its true, this whole thing should be over any day now

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lmfao the government doesn't have arcgis licenses??? Very doubtful

twoday
May 4, 2005

Several recent studies of Chinese COVID patient groups seemed to show that only very few were smokers and while tweeting at an epidemiologist from Harvard he tacitly admitted that he suspects that smoking might protect people from coronavirus in a yet-unknown manner

https://twitter.com/onionweigher/status/1231994917859315713?s=19

https://twitter.com/Ed_Goldstein/status/1232003986624012288?s=19

twoday fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 24, 2020

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

twoday posted:

Several recent studies of Chinese COVID patient groups seemed to show that only very few were smokers and while tweeting at an epidemiologist from Harvard he tacitly admitted that he suspects that smoking seems to protect people from coronavirus in a yet-unknown manner

https://twitter.com/onionweigher/status/1231994917859315713?s=19

https://twitter.com/Ed_Goldstein/status/1232003986624012288?s=19

gently caress yeah, smoking weed to build up that sweet, sweet plague immunity

e: aw poo poo it's just with nicotine. BORING

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

is posting corona-chan anime allowed in this thread

twoday
May 4, 2005

Do not start smoking!! Even if this is true, smoking damages your lungs and heart and rewires your ACE2 receptors in a way that makes you much more susceptible to the virus

And don't start vaping either, that will make you more susceptible to lipidol pneumonia

Nicotine is bad and harmful, and even if being a smoker does protect you somehow (which is uncertain) you would have had to have started doing so years ago in order to gently caress up your genetic expression of ACE2 receptors so badly that it would make a difference right now

It's pretty much the military strategy of burning your capital to the ground so that an invading army can't capture it, but then with your lungs

twoday fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 24, 2020

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

triple sulk posted:

everybody is saying it's encouraged

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

We are so hosed

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

This is the first gang tag i've ever wanted.

BNO isn't reporting the 50 people dead in iran on its main COVID19 page. I wonder if that means they aren't sure if it was right or not.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Can I just smoke weed and chew on Nicorette gum all day and get the best of both worlds?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

twoday posted:

Do not start smoking!! Even if this is true, smoking rewires your ACE2 receptors in a way that makes you much more susceptible to the virus

yes but just think of the commercials branding cigarettes as an immune system booster

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

triple sulk posted:

embedding NWS images in [spoiler] tags invigorates the posting immune system

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

laughing insanely over this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

triple sulk posted: