Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm going to laugh in 3 years when the average modern deck costs three thousand dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I'm going to laugh in 3 years when the average modern deck costs three thousand dollars.

So when Pioneer decks cost as much as Modern decks do in 2019.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Star Man posted:

So when Pioneer decks cost as much as Modern decks do in 2019.

Arent there some decks already more expensive then modern decks?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Arent there some decks already more expensive then modern decks?

Anything 3 colors with piles of walkers will likely cost more than cheaper modern decks.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Legacy isn't dead, people always overreact to this stuff, other groups will step up and run events.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

Legacy isn't dead, people always overreact to this stuff, other groups will step up and run events.

I mean it depends on your definition of "dead" - Legacy has arguably been "dead" as a major tournament format for years now and is now even deader than it was before. Sure, there will still be some events going on in the world, but it's no longer supported by Wizards/CFB at the PT/GP level, nor by the dominant US circuit (StarCityGames), and whoever "steps up" is going to be small potatoes compared to either of those (for the US market, at least). Sure, some people will still be able to play it at their LGS, but it used to have a presence on the big stage and that's no longer the case.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

W6 banned in legacy

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
A friend of mine just prized a recent f2f event with this absolute pile https://www.topdecked.me/decks/6f7da0cf-25a7-4785-b912-f2353f8a3df3

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

A friend of mine just prized a recent f2f event with this absolute pile https://www.topdecked.me/decks/6f7da0cf-25a7-4785-b912-f2353f8a3df3

Well that is a pile and I am shocked, shocked to see broken cards somehow winning despite of themselves

edit: deck looks fun and I would try out some kind of 4c snow pile as well. Seems rad

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 27, 2019

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

as garfield intended

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Full video link?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
after spending days yelling about the idiot whales who will buy lairs and the ongoing Pokemonification of magic, I realized that the faerie in Bitterblossom is holding an opium poppy and so of course now I have to go be an idiot whale and get the playset, because if there's one thing I take more seriously than making GBS threads on Hasbro it's ethnobotanical references in pop media

also the flavor of losing life every turn to an opioid addiction is great. Given the current US political climate and opiate crisis, I am going with "Hasbro censors don't know what an opium poppy looks like" on this one.

:drugnerd: never a more apt use of this emote :drugnerd:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Top 16’d the modern face to face event with bant spirits. Went 5-2 for 14th place. Not bad.

I have a tournament report if anyone is interested

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Top 16’d the modern face to face event with bant spirits. Went 5-2 for 14th place. Not bad.

I have a tournament report if anyone is interested

Spirits is good, post away friend

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Spirits is good, post away friend

MARVEL AS I GO 0/7 on die rolls.

F2F tournament report

Creature (30)
4 Drogskol Captain
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Noble Hierarch
1 Phantasmal Image
1 Rattlechains
2 Deputy of Detention
2 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
4 Supreme Phantom
3 unsettled mariner
1 Kira, Great Glass Spinner

Instant (6)
4 Collected Company
2 Path to Exile

Artifact (2)
2 Aether Vial
1 teferi, time raveler

Land (21)
2 Botanical Sanctum
1 Breeding Pool
1 Cavern of Souls
3 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Moorland Haunt
1 Plains
1 Temple Garden
2 Windswept Heath
1 Waterlogged Grove
60 Cards

Sideboard (15)
2 Geist of Saint Traft
2 Knight of Autumn
2 Rest in Peace
1 Collector Ouphe
1 stony silence
1 Settle The Wreckage
2 Damping Sphere
2 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Worship
1 Aven mindcensor

R1 vs mono red hollow Phoenix
Lose die roll
Win 2-1

G1: my opponent keeps a 1-lander and I play a T2 mariner and my opponent never draws a second land

G2: I get absolutely destroyed by blood moon as will happen.

G3: I fetch basics t1 and t2 and curve wanderer into mariner into eidolon into captain and my opponent cannot play phoenixes or hollow ones that are clogging up his hand.

R2 vs a teammate on eldrazi tron
Lose die roll
Lose 1-2

G1: I curve out and my opponent can’t keep up with the flyers

G2: my opponent has T3 tron and I draw several lands in a row despite cracking both horizon lands

G3: I deputy my opponents map on T2 (but he has another one because of course they do) I have them on a clock and need them to not have T3 all is dust AND natural tron because I don’t have a wanderer. They have both *sad trombone*

R3 vs jeskai saheeli
Lose die roll
Win 2-0

G1: mull to 5 and keep 2 land hierarch 2 queller. Queller 2 saheeli, let cat resolve. Beat in the air

G2: mull to 6 and flash in Aven mindcensor in response to a fetch; it eats a path which is working as intended. Opponent plays a blood moon and eventually I vial in a deputy for blood moon which lets me fetch, sac canopy, and coco with queller backup. And it’s all over from there.

R4 vs grixis deaths shadow
Lose die roll
Lose 0-2

G1 I mull to 5 and my opponent goes inquisition into thoughtseize and then has the shadow with stub backup for path.

G2 I mull to 6 and make a game of it getting my opponent to 4 and we are both top decking. Except my opponent lands plague engineer into Gurkha and I draw land for 6 turns, no creatures no coco’s

R5 vs 4c shadow
Lose die roll
Win 2-1

G1: I mull to 5 and my opponent tears my hand apart

G2: I keep a 7 with unsettled mariner and spell queller some key spells. Also Rest In Peace

G3: Rest In Peace into Aven mindcensor shuts off a fetch for the 4 color deck and then I land a teferi, bounce a grafdiggers cage, and coco

R6 vs jund
Lose die roll
Win 2-1

G1: I mull to 6 and my hand gets destroyed by discard

G2: Rest In Peace and Aven mindcensor stop the goyfs and fetches

G3: opponent mulls to 5 and I finally keep a 7 of all beaters and interaction.

R7 vs eldrazi tron
Lose die roll
Win 2-1

G1: opponent mulls to 4 and has t3 tron but no follow ups so I just beat in forever until the game is over

G2: I make a huge misplay by confusing warping wail with spatial distortion and it costs me the game lmao

G3: T1 hierarch, t2 Captain, T3 phantasmal captain selfless spirit, t4 coco into supreme phantom gg

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Your opponent brought Grafdigger's Cage in against you

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah I'm not following what that would do against spirits

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

It prevents collected company from doing anything and that's it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Fingers McLongDong posted:

It prevents collected company from doing anything and that's it.

It did prevent me from casting the 2x collected company I had in hand until I bounced the cage with t3feri

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ilmucche posted:

It turns off Company in the exceedingly rare situations where you are able to cast and resolve a 4 mana spell that is still in your hand.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

not sure what the shadow player's 75 looks like, but cage seems like an upgrade to the stubborn denials you're looking to cut

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Cage against spirits (or any deck where it only hits company) is like pithing needle on liliana against jund. It stops them from playing their best card, but you have to spend a card and they might not even draw it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

little munchkin posted:

not sure what the shadow player's 75 looks like, but cage seems like an upgrade to the stubborn denials you're looking to cut

A 1 mana card that occasionally shuts off certain cards they might not even draw is not better than a 1 mana Negate against the deck that has Path, RIP, Company, and possibly Settle at a minimum.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Haven't played in a few years. Keep eyeing my modern decks every so often contemplating playing again. Has pioneer surplanted modern though or do they kind of co-exist now?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Depends entirely where you are I reckon. Some people are saying modern has died for pioneer, others pioneer never took hold. Here people seem to be split and people have decks for both. Best to scope out your local scene and see what people are playing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

MARVEL AS I GO 0/7 on die rolls.

I've seen a number of Spirits lists online dropping Aether Vial entirely for OuaT, with the goal of giving themselves the best chance at a turn 1 Noble Hierarch. Have you tested this out at all?

Mef989 posted:

Haven't played in a few years. Keep eyeing my modern decks every so often contemplating playing again. Has pioneer surplanted modern though or do they kind of co-exist now?

From the people I've talked to it seems to be really case-by-case. For example the smaller LGS here has been alternating Modern and Pioneer FNMs and getting roughly equivalent crowds for both. Meanwhile the larger LGS here, which was pulling in 30-40 people for weekly Modern FNMs, very quickly moved to weekly Pioneer FNMs and moved Modern to Mondays.

In addition to scouting out your scene beforehand, I would also take a look at your collection and try to figure out what Pioneer deck(s) you could build without shoving a bunch of money into the format sight unseen. I personally have been enjoying Pioneer quite a bit but not everyone has.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

I've seen a number of Spirits lists online dropping Aether Vial entirely for OuaT, with the goal of giving themselves the best chance at a turn 1 Noble Hierarch. Have you tested this out at all?

I have absolutely seen this list and strongly considered it but have been too lazy to buy once upon a times

I think it’s fine tech though. Aether vial is my least favorite card in the deck

Edit: ordered the OUAT’s will test with 20 land and see what happens

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 25, 2020

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

C-Euro posted:

From the people I've talked to it seems to be really case-by-case. For example the smaller LGS here has been alternating Modern and Pioneer FNMs and getting roughly equivalent crowds for both. Meanwhile the larger LGS here, which was pulling in 30-40 people for weekly Modern FNMs, very quickly moved to weekly Pioneer FNMs and moved Modern to Mondays.

In addition to scouting out your scene beforehand, I would also take a look at your collection and try to figure out what Pioneer deck(s) you could build without shoving a bunch of money into the format sight unseen. I personally have been enjoying Pioneer quite a bit but not everyone has.

Closest store to me runs pioneer Tues/Sat, and Modern FNM

Last I played was right around Kaladesh.

I have UW control built for modern, but it's old (pre-JTMS unban). I own a playset of Mind Sculpters, but none of the Teferi or Narsets which it currently runs. It looks like the Pioneer UW control deck runs the Narsets and Teferi too though, so I'm probably purchasing them either way. Fortunately I already own a playset of Supreme Verdict, several detention spheres, and most of the other RTR block staples. Looking at decks on MTGoldfish, this looks like the best choice to convert over. Is it good though in pioneer? Looks like some UB deck has the highest meta percent.

I also own Grixis Deathshadow which appears mostly unchanged barring a few cards, and Merfolk which appears to be a worse spirits now (which I find hilarious since spirits was a worse Merfolk last I played).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mef989 posted:

Closest store to me runs pioneer Tues/Sat, and Modern FNM

Last I played was right around Kaladesh.

I have UW control built for modern, but it's old (pre-JTMS unban). I own a playset of Mind Sculpters, but none of the Teferi or Narsets which it currently runs. It looks like the Pioneer UW control deck runs the Narsets and Teferi too though, so I'm probably purchasing them either way. Fortunately I already own a playset of Supreme Verdict, several detention spheres, and most of the other RTR block staples. Looking at decks on MTGoldfish, this looks like the best choice to convert over. Is it good though in pioneer? Looks like some UB deck has the highest meta percent.

I also own Grixis Deathshadow which appears mostly unchanged barring a few cards, and Merfolk which appears to be a worse spirits now (which I find hilarious since spirits was a worse Merfolk last I played).

Sounds like you're in pretty good shape then, UW Control is perfectly playable in Pioneer if a little unpopular right now, and GDS is still totally viable in Modern. The UB deck at the top of the Pioneer is probably going to get a piece banned before too long, so I wouldn't try to build it right now.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I’m here to keep this dead gay thread alive.

A friend of mine took down the modern event I prized by brewing Czech pile in modern. Here’s the article: http://magic.facetofacegames.com/jozef-telecki-goes-back-to-back-in-lethbridge/

And here’s the list:

First Place, Four-Colour Snow

Creatures (9)
4 Ice-Fang Coatl
2 Snapcaster Mage
2 Uro, Titan of Nature’s Wrath
1 Abominable Treefolk
Spells (28)
4 Arcum’s Astrolabe
4 Assassin’s Trophy
4 Drown in the Loch
4 Wrenn and Six
4 Dead of Winter
3 Force of Negation
1 Kologhan’s Command
1 The Royal Scions
1 Cryptic Command
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Lands (23)
4 Fabled Passage
4 Field of Ruin
1 Lonely Sandbar
4 Prismatic Vista
3 Snow-covered Forest
4 Snow-covered Island
1 Snow-covered Mountain
2 Snow-covered Swamp
Sideboard (15)
3 Fatal Push
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Weather the Storm
2 Ashiok, Dream Render
1 Force of Negation
1 Maelstrom Pulse
4 Leyline of the Void

Thoughts? Guys been slamming this list for Mo this and tweaking it as sets come out, he loves it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

I’m here to keep this dead gay thread alive.

A friend of mine took down the modern event I prized by brewing Czech pile in modern. Here’s the article: http://magic.facetofacegames.com/jozef-telecki-goes-back-to-back-in-lethbridge/

And here’s the list:

First Place, Four-Colour Snow

Creatures (9)
4 Ice-Fang Coatl
2 Snapcaster Mage
2 Uro, Titan of Nature’s Wrath
1 Abominable Treefolk
Spells (28)
4 Arcum’s Astrolabe
4 Assassin’s Trophy
4 Drown in the Loch
4 Wrenn and Six
4 Dead of Winter
3 Force of Negation
1 Kologhan’s Command
1 The Royal Scions
1 Cryptic Command
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Lands (23)
4 Fabled Passage
4 Field of Ruin
1 Lonely Sandbar
4 Prismatic Vista
3 Snow-covered Forest
4 Snow-covered Island
1 Snow-covered Mountain
2 Snow-covered Swamp
Sideboard (15)
3 Fatal Push
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Weather the Storm
2 Ashiok, Dream Render
1 Force of Negation
1 Maelstrom Pulse
4 Leyline of the Void

Thoughts? Guys been slamming this list for Mo this and tweaking it as sets come out, he loves it.

Have you not signed up for the goon MtG Discord? https://discord.gg/x6Yabq

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Have you not signed up for the goon MtG Discord? https://discord.gg/x6Yabq

I have never in my life used discord and pretty much only post from my phone.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

I have never in my life used discord and pretty much only post from my phone.

Good news, Discord has a mobile app! :v:

As for the list, I don't have much to say other than it supports my theory of "WotC wants Modern to become Legacy without the Reserve List". Also did your friend and the 4th place intentionally bring the same deck?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 28, 2020

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Good news, Discord has a mobile app! :v:

As for the list, I don't have much to say other than it supports my theory of "WotC wants Modern to become Legacy without the Reserve List". Also did your friend and the 4th place intentionally bring the same deck?

The players in 1st and 4th are teammates who workshop the deck together. I don’t know the second guy though.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Just won my local paper pioneer league.

Tournament report: local paper pioneer league.
Decklists were required right before the triple pioneer pro tours, so almost all of the lists were untuned in some way.

Pioneer league tournament report

R1 vs uw control
Win die roll
Win 2-0

G1 we play a game of “who gets to have a 3 mana teferi” I play one and then my opponent plays one, and then I deputy his teferi so he supreme verdicts to get teferi back so I deputy it again so he supremes again, so I just swing into it and kill it and then I have the teferi and he doesn’t so I win.

G2 is similar to the first game because I curve wanderer into two drop into teferi and that’s good against control. I also get to queller a supreme verdict and then bounce the queller with teferi post combat. Feels good man

R2 vs bant spirits
Lose die roll
Win 2-1

G1: opponent is on a version of the deck that runs 24 creatures and significantly more countermagic. Game one my collected company’s see better creatures than his.

G2: is a real house of a game opponent has a good board state but I bait him into tapping out on his turn and then I double deputy to hit 6 of his cards and I think I’m going to win. Unfortunately he gets a coco of his own off and hits nebelghast + his own deputy, hits both my deputies and swings for lethal lmao.

G3: I land a tamiyo and she fogs for two turns and draws me six cards before finally dying which puts me way ahead and let’s me find more lords. Dec in stone also an all star in this game.

R3 vs abzan midrange
No idea how the die roll went
Win 2-1

G1: opponent is ok classic talkie era abzan midrange with the heliod ballista combo thrown in. I out value and swing in the air, and dodge my opponent seeing wingmate roc

G2: I can’t remember what happens but I lose so I probably played bad and my opponent probably played skillfully.

G3: I have flyer and bounce my opponents things the. Swing with flyers for lethal, A+ strategy would suggest

R4 vs mono white
Win die roll
Win 2-1

G1: I keep a 2 lander and never see land #3. Almost win anyways because this game is a knife fight where we are both swinging. I still don’t see land 3 with 3 eagle in hand so I die.

G2: I curve out and have coco and my opponent has 1 drops and Marshall, as a result of this, I win.

G3: I have collected company, settle the wreckage, and a timely dec in stone to get me through this.

R5 vs gb delirium
Lose die roll
Lose 0-2

G1: this match is against the local jund/rock guy who had probably the most tuned list out of the whole league. Anyways game one is a knife fight and we get to the point where I have a turn to top deck any creature and I wind but instead I topdeck a land lmao.

G2: i see zero rattlechains, quellers or coco’s and I get picked apart easily against the mono removal deck that always has T3 Liliana.

Good enough for second place in the Swiss on to top 8!

Top 8 r1 vs grixis trade binder
I’m the higher see so I am on the play
Win 2-1

G1: I get my opponent to 6 and then they land bone crusher giant into Kalitas into glorybringer and I have lands.

G2: opponent plays tap land into tap land and I curve out just fine, quelling an anger of the gods

G3: opponent has tap land into tap land into tap land and but has triple discard spell. I play out triple rattlechains to try drain my opponents removal. We both enter top deck mode and I land a tamiyo which draws me two cards. My opponent hits an anger which clears my board of triple mausoleum wanderer. Then we both proceed to draw land for 4 turns until I get tamiyo to 8, ult her, draw 3, find some creatures and slowly hack away with triple disdainful stroke in hand. On the upside tamiyo ultimate is achievement unlocked.

Top 8 R2 vs Esper doom foretold
I’m still the higher seed so I’m on the play
Win 2-0

G1: this is a bad matchup for the esper player. They hatchet their own life total with thoughtseize and treacherous blessing and I stretch the removal they have very thin. Game one they never get to 4 mana after keeping 2 land birth of meletis

G2: I curve creatures and my opponent is stuck on a single white. Eventually they get to 4 life and draw a second white source but it’s a tapped manland and that does nothing for the supreme verdict they had in hand.

Top 8 R3 finals vs bant spirits (same player as R2)
I’m still the higher seed

G1: teferi is the difference maker here as I can play at instant speed and they cannot

G2: opponent has the nebelghast heralds (why the gently caress did I not register those?) and some timely disputes (including paying full rate for one against my settle the wreckage) also opponent has more lords

G3: this was a really fun game and I think I played it pretty tight. Usually against the mirror I would shave on mausoleum wanderers but instead I shaved on spectral sailors because I know my opponent plays a lot of countermagic. Also I mull to 5. I land an early wanderer into supreme and my opponent has rattlechains into supreme. We play back and forth for a bit with my opponent quellering a wanderer. We make it to the later game and my opponent plays a lord and passes with 3 mana up, I absolutely use a coco to bait out the queller I assume they have in hand (I’m right) so I untap and dec in stone the two quellers to put 3 creatures into play. Opponent crack both clues, plays two creatures, and I still have lethal on board so that’s all she wrote.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I saw your belt on FB, nice work!

Have you been liking Teferi? I thought most Bant players had moved away from him.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

I saw your belt on FB, nice work!

Have you been liking Teferi? I thought most Bant players had moved away from him.

Hey thanks for being on the Facebook page!

Like I said the decklists were locked in before the triple pro tour so most of the lists were not fully tuned.

That being said, I would probably drop teferi to a 2 of in the main because he is a house (but you can’t hit it with coco.)

I would probably adjust my list to have disputes, and permeating mass in the board. Move the deputies from the main to the side (even though they are great) and run 3 nebelghast in the main.

I would also like to experiment with 22 land.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Hey give me the link to the mtg goon discord thing, that one's expired. Man i just love the UG urza deck, it's really fun and also very powerful, has game against anything and is not so easy to hate out because it attacks from multiple angles. If anyone needs a modern deck to pick up, i highly recommend it. Here's my decklist currently, been having great success with it: https://deckstats.net/deck-21142329-1057053a1b86fac6796031cd9c33b4ad.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mox Hombre posted:

Hey give me the link to the mtg goon discord thing, that one's expired. Man i just love the UG urza deck, it's really fun and also very powerful, has game against anything and is not so easy to hate out because it attacks from multiple angles. If anyone needs a modern deck to pick up, i highly recommend it. Here's my decklist currently, been having great success with it: https://deckstats.net/deck-21142329-1057053a1b86fac6796031cd9c33b4ad.html

https://discord.gg/SpSPkk