Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The UK does this with their plate numbering system, the first two letters being the area of the country the plate was first registered. I guess it's done more as a record keeping thing, since the plate stays with the car there, and used cars get moved around the country, and "personal" plates that vaguely allude to spelling something amusing get bought and sold and attached to cars that weren't originally registered in that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

xzzy posted:

Yes, originally Iowa gave each county a number (sorted alphabetically) and stamped it onto the license plates. Now they just print the county's name at lower center.

Montana encodes the county into their license plates too, as far as I can tell it's only used to sneer at bad drivers that don't "belong" in your area.

Yeah, the old Hoosier state would do that, just "stamp it in". You would know "out of the 6 counties" close by where they were from from your area.

Then they went to printing it in the corner. Problem is when a new register sticker would come in they would peel and cover it over that as opposed to the other corner. And yeah, I understand the confusion.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, I guess I just don't see the point. Do you get new plates if you move?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Uthor posted:

Yeah, I guess I just don't see the point. Do you get new plates if you move?

At least in Indiana, if you change your legal address, you will get sent a new plate when registration time comes around again.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Then they went to printing it in the corner. Problem is when a new register sticker would come in they would peel and cover it over that as opposed to the other corner. And yeah, I understand the confusion.

I've seen a ton where they have done exactly this.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Alabama starts with a number from 1 to 63 then an A, each number corresponding to a county. Mobile is 2A. Baldwin County, the lovely parasitic racist exurb Klavern, is 5A.

Guess how cops know how to pull over “don’t belong” types.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

stevewm posted:

I've seen a ton where they have done exactly this.

The funny thing is it isn't nefarious. It's like a "poo poo hosed up'ed moment" but can't remove the sticker.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

xzzy posted:

Montana encodes the county into their license plates too, as far as I can tell it's only used to sneer at bad drivers that don't "belong" in your area.

It's based on the population of each county at a certain time in the past, which was probably some kind of big dick swinging from Butte/Silverbow County, because they had the biggest population at the time. It doesn't really seem to serve much purpose anymore, except yeah, it's a good way to get your rear end kicked if you drive into a hostile area. There's a reason why I keep an axe handle and a hunting knife in my my center console.

Idaho also marks their counties. I think it's an alphanumeric? I remember being at a gas station in the panhandle once with my roommate, and a stranger asked her something hyper specific about the town she was from and they explained how the code worked. I just didn't really pay attention.

I've gotta scan some stuff, but I've got an effortpost about the history of MT license plates in the works. Grandpa was the tag plant supervisor as a prison warden back at the Territorial Prison, and I ended up with a bunch of family heirlooms related to license plates. And like...so many plates. SO MANY. I don't even really do much with them (except a couple of rare one-offs that came straight from the prison's offices that I have hung up at work), but somehow people noticed I had a pile of discarded plates and started giving me more. I should use them for an art project sometime.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Would love to take sheets of stitched-together license plates and have them pressed into reproduction door skins, fenders, hoods & tailgates, and just set every automated plate-reading device on fire as I pass through.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It's based on the population of each county at a certain time in the past, which was probably some kind of big dick swinging from Butte/Silverbow County, because they had the biggest population at the time. It doesn't really seem to serve much purpose anymore, except yeah, it's a good way to get your rear end kicked if you drive into a hostile area. There's a reason why I keep an axe handle and a hunting knife in my my center console.

What hosed up third world shithole do you live in. That's fucken munted.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

ili posted:

What hosed up third world shithole do you live in. That's fucken munted.

It's a big state with a lot of varied territory and not a lot of people, so there's a fair to middling chance any time you get off the highway, you're going into sov cit/Native American/meth cooker/otherwise hostile separatist type areas. I mean, you're not dodging bullets on a daily basis by any means, but it's still risky if you're far from a population center.

And the wildlife also wants you dead, so that's doubly fun if you like driving offroad or doing nature photography or whatever other hobby puts you in places where "walnut farmers" open carry AKs and will only warn you once.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Montana is a weird shithole for sure, but it's an interesting one. I'd love to read that effortpost when you get around to making it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is that the new strategy for scaring away Californians? Make up stories about a shooter behind every tree? :v:

I've been all over that state and never had anyone be anything but polite. Obviously there are going to be some lovely people but that's true everywhere. Just make sure you're on public land and no one's gonna give a gently caress.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

There's a reason why I keep an axe handle and a hunting knife in my my center console.

Did the phrase "bringing a knife to a gun fight" not make it as far as Montana? :cheeky:
That's the only state I'd assume had more guns per capita than Texas!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Counterpoint:

Too bad that one is actually a VW bug.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ahh yes the FordFordFordFordFordFord F-150F-150F-150F-150F-150F-150

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Memento posted:

You forgot TexasEdition TexasEditionTexasEditionTexasEdition
TexasEditionTexasEditionTexasEdition

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If those are legit factory badges they are probably worth 1/3 of the MSRP of that truck.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

GD_American posted:

Alabama starts with a number from 1 to 63 then an A, each number corresponding to a county. Mobile is 2A. Baldwin County, the lovely parasitic racist exurb Klavern, is 5A.

Guess how cops know how to pull over “don’t belong” types.

You solve that problem by getting any of the other tags that don't have county identifiers on them.

Unless you have a HBCU plate. A great way to get pulled over in places where you "don't belong."

Memento posted:

So..................are you gonna be found at fault for the other driver eating a telephone pole because you blinded the hell out of them?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Meanwhile somewhere in Dallas...

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
https://twitter.com/ShittyMods/status/1232181301345759232?s=09

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Memento posted:

Witnessed

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

STR posted:

Meanwhile somewhere in Dallas...

This seems cooler once you realise it’s American bosozoku

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

GD_American posted:

Except it's not.

*edit: Bosozoku started out as a biker gang and then some of them moved onto cars, styling them like 80s silhouette racers.

There are other Japanese car styling types, I'd put this as more SUV version of Dekatora except poo poo. (officially I'd say it was an art car though)

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 25, 2020

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

It's a big state with a lot of varied territory and not a lot of people, so there's a fair to middling chance any time you get off the highway, you're going into sov cit/Native American/meth cooker/otherwise hostile separatist type areas. I mean, you're not dodging bullets on a daily basis by any means, but it's still risky if you're far from a population center.

And the wildlife also wants you dead, so that's doubly fun if you like driving offroad or doing nature photography or whatever other hobby puts you in places where "walnut farmers" open carry AKs and will only warn you once.

These are the rural “values” that the GOP wants to maintain at any cost.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

This sounds like paranoia. Rural Idaho and Montana can have some creeps but I’ve never felt the need to be strapped or anything there, whether by the Canadian border or by Wyoming.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 25, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GD_American posted:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Except it's not.

*edit: Bosozoku started out as a biker gang and then some of them moved onto cars, styling them like 80s silhouette racers.

There are other Japanese car styling types, I'd put this as more SUV version of Dekatora except poo poo. (officially I'd say it was an art car though)

Personally, I'd call it mental illness, but "Art Car" pretty much covers that.

edit: I'd say the main difference between.... that.. and Dekotora is that Dekotora is done with something resembling a plan, care, and a modicum of precision with regard to placement, alignment, etc. That poo poo there is just slapped on where it sort of might fit, straightness and alignment be damned.

edit2: Also, odds are good that all the "Ford", "F150" and "Texas Edition" badges on that first one were just pried off of other guys trucks in random parking lots. As noted, that's a fortune in badging if bought at the dealer.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 25, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Personally, I'd call it mental illness, but "Art Car" pretty much covers that.

edit: I'd say the main difference between.... that.. and Dekotora is that Dekotora is done with something resembling a plan, care, and a modicum of precision with regard to placement, alignment, etc. That poo poo there is just slapped on where it sort of might fit, straightness and alignment be damned.

Yeah hence why I went with art car, I just wanted to make the point that it's definitely not bosozoku.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
if the poo poo glued on wasnt a sign of mental illness, its the POWMIA flags in 20 goddamned 20

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

super late to the party, and I know it's a sin to paint those, but I actually think this looks pretty good

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

tuo posted:

super late to the party, and I know it's a sin to paint those, but I actually think this looks pretty good

Yeah, it does. I like the official line of how to clean the car. Basically break out a brillo pad where there are issues.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Darchangel posted:

All custom cars can be divided into VW bug or Fiero. No exceptions.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BraveUlysses posted:

if the poo poo glued on wasnt a sign of mental illness, its the POWMIA flags in 20 goddamned 20

Filing bankruptcy after maxing out your credit card on Pep Boys and Autozone stick on chrome poo poo is a good sign too.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

I mean there’s definitely no POWs but repatriating the remains of the missing gives closure to the families. I will agree that there is a big overlap between the nutters and the guys who fly that flat though.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Darchangel posted:

I heard about that years ago and imagined it was an oversimplification. I expected that underneath were the wildest sand rail parts from the back pages of VW Trends. But now I'm seeing it for the first time and it really is just a Beetle. The steering looks stock.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vipershark
Nov 13, 2010

tuo posted:

unpopular car opinion: deloreans look better painted than they do stock

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Speaking of shiddy Deloreans...

It's poo poo because it's too busy but I will say the rear light setup is pretty hard.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
gently caress it's so close to getting it right. Quiet the whole thing down, ffs, does it need triple ducts in front of the rear wheels?

A couple of clean up passes on design and that would be :krad:

Oh, if it also wasn't a delorean I guess.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Reminds me of an Alfa 155 from the front.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Speaking of shiddy Deloreans...

It's poo poo because it's too busy but I will say the rear light setup is pretty hard.

"Make me a Mustang, but... dumber"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's Wil.I.Am's concept that West Coast Customs built.