Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Facebook Aunt posted:

King may be a solid exception to the rule that the books are better than the movie. His books are an absolute slog where nothing happens in the first 100 pages. A decent screenwriter cuts it all down to a solid 90-120 minutes of good times.

Hell, as bad as "Secret Window" was, even it was better than the novella, mostly due to the ending. While the bad guy winning and getting away with it is a lame ending, it's still magnitudes better than an insurance claims investigator (who was only in one scene previously in the whole story) showing up out of nowhere to save the day and explaining everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

dee eight posted:

The best ever book/movie match is "Dark Star". The film came first and the book is pretty much a mirror of the movie with filigreed bits in the paragraphs. Both are entertaining as heck and well worth the bother to both watch and read at least once.

If you're unfamiliar, then I feel a slight sense of pity for you. Cheesy sci-fi, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy.

2001 is an interesting book/movie pair, both were developed collaboratively and in tandem. Kubrick deviated from some of Clark's ideas that he had felt strongly about (like the dimensions of the monolith, Clark wanted it to be a perfect 1x4x9, Kubrick changed that so it would look more dramatic. Kubrick also moved the last monolith from Iapetus' north pole to being in orbit around Jupiter because he couldn't make it work visually within his budget).

The fun thing is when Clark wrote sequels he based them on Kubrick's version, not his own.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The Godfather breaks two rules, the sequel (2, not three ugh) is better than the original, and it's better than the book.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dee eight posted:

The best ever book/movie match is "Dark Star". The film came first and the book is pretty much a mirror of the movie with filigreed bits in the paragraphs. Both are entertaining as heck and well worth the bother to both watch and read at least once.

If you're unfamiliar, then I feel a slight sense of pity for you. Cheesy sci-fi, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy.

Dark Star is one of my favorite films.

And "Benson, Arizona" is a very catchy song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wbzJxXxhIQ&t=47s

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I don't feel like "The book is better" is such a truism at all. Obviously a blockbuster risk averse movie based on an excellent book is never going to be as good as the book, but there's plenty of examples of excellent movies based on good but not great books and also a lot of movies where the book is mediocre but a filmmaker was able to pick out the good parts and make a great movie out of it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

if a supercriticality of roller derbyists dwell within the same area, it becomes by default a Burlesque House.

Elviscat posted:

Mods? Name change pl.... wait never mind.

I've been inclined to grant these "mods please" wishes lately, to the extent that I can (which is to say, title/av changes) so y'all are warned

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
How prevalent was that argument about books always being better than the movie before the 80s? I wonder if it was just Shining backlash that made that a cliche.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Burlesque is one of those things that everyone's forgotten the original associations of aside from being old-timey and generically racy and thus ends up attracting the terminally twee. Like with steampunk.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

dee eight posted:

The majority of Dark Star is a straight lift from a Ray Bradbury story called Kaleidoscope. Dan O'Bannon just added a bunch of comedy to it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

How prevalent was that argument about books always being better than the movie before the 80s?

Very but just because books are inherently better than movies and also they let coloured folks in the movie threatres!!!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Pastry of the Year posted:

so y'all are warned

Mods, name change pls

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Chichevache posted:

Mods, name change pls

God dammit

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
On the subject of raising Quail and their proclivities towards sudden (often self-inflicted) death;

hallelujah posted:

when this all started, about six years ago now, my intention was to "tame" a colony of japanese quail. at the time, i had little to no experience with birds of any kind and i was picturing them like sitting on my shoulder and following me around in a line like ducklings. now i've realised that when these things are "tame", which means 100% acclimatized to humans and happy to go about normal life routines in their company, they revert to their natural status, which is wandering holy fool spreading the love from town to town, meadow to meadow

hallelujah posted:

they don't actually want to die. they're quite upset when it happens. that's what makes them such awful, inadvisable, existential despair type pets

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

I've been inclined to grant these "mods please" wishes lately, to the extent that I can (which is to say, title/av changes) so y'all are warned

Pastry of the Year, I request you have a cool day.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Pastry of the Year, I request that you find inner peace and happiness.

Also, i would love a name change to y'all are warned but I suspect the single quote/italics combo might be the last straw for the forums code. Mods?

thepopmonster has a new favorite as of 17:08 on Feb 24, 2020

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mods please give me a billion dollars and a small private island off the coast of Greece.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

From what I can gather he lived alone in a dilapidated doublewide with just a bunch of cats for company. He had a small garage where he worked on his latest project until sundown every day because the lights in the garage didn't work. He had to run a long line of extension cords from his house if he wanted to use power tools.

He died alone, confused, isolated from the world by the crazy conspiracy theories he'd built around himself and which placed him way way beyond any possible help. Those around him could do nothing but stand and watch as he fell ridiculously short of his goal and his dumb luck finally ran out. He didn't have a two way radio or even a steering wheel in the rocket because once it took off there was nothing left to say and no point in trying to deviate from his path, once it left the ground his fate was already decided. Physics and common sense told the rest of the world that a crash was inevitable, Mike 100% believed the rest of the world was wrong.

He died exactly the way he lived.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Are the cats OK?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

haveblue posted:

Are the cats OK?

I'm not sure. Maybe we can raise awareness and get them adopted. Celebrity cats, very exclusive

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

hockey jockey posted:

This snake I can respect. He is determined to guard those condiments to the last drop of poison in his fangs. Duck toilet paper holder has no dignity.

LifeSunDeath posted:

DON'T SEASON ON ME!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Yes, we know it's for white people.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Presented without context:

Dungeon Ecology posted:

hahahah of course yospos is trying to calculate the optimal pants-change:fart-filtration ratio
god bless

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
If someone makes a gif of the Mods?! button being clicked like :five:, I'll buy it as a smiley. Don't obscure the text.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
On the subject of Mad Mike Hughes:

Azhais posted:

Parachutes are hard, even Boeing can't get them right

poisonpill posted:

Not true. Boeing’s exiting executives all have fully functional golden ones.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Jedit posted:

The majority of Dark Star is a straight lift from a Ray Bradbury story called Kaleidoscope. Dan O'Bannon just added a bunch of comedy to it.

No poo poo? I was in a play of Kaleidoscope in high school. I was about 25 minutes into Dark Star when I turned it off. I had no idea it was gonna go that route.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dark Star is so loving great. you goddamn heathens

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

Same. (fans only: Be sure to catch Let There Be Light: The Odyssey of Dark Star documentary, it's on Youtube.)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Syd Midnight posted:

Same. (fans only: Be sure to catch Let There Be Light: The Odyssey of Dark Star documentary, it's on Youtube.)

It's on the BluRay also.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

luxury handset posted:

i mildly hosed up with my new boss, an older man, when he came in one day wearing a brimmed hat and trench coat and i said "ah, the detective is here to make me answer for my crimes" but later that day he compared my appearance to an npc vendor in world of warcraft so i feel like i came out the worse in that exchange

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pick posted:

Don't call me a loving heathen, I've stanned for Memoirs of an Invisible Man. You say Jesus was a carpenter; I say Carpenter is my Jesus. :black101:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

I highly recommend everyone watch the Mad Mike launch video for the comedic effect of his parachute deploying on launch and a lady going “uh oh”

https://www.tmz.com/2020/02/22/daredevil-mad-mike-hughes-dead-dies-rocket-crash-land/

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

so is there a way where you could change someone's name and automatically send a password reset email, which would contain the user's new username?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

so is there a way where you could change someone's name and automatically send a password reset email, which would contain the user's new username?

Only admins can change usernames and I'm given to understand that that is not something done lightly.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Every single time I have cried mods I was completely serious, because my current username is a shame to me

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
oh yeah, had i actually read your whole post or paid the least bit of attention i would have noticed that. huh.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

oh yeah, had i actually read your whole post or paid the least bit of attention i would have noticed that. huh.

Whoever redtexts PHIZ please include a link to the post that you're quoting.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
AFAIK an admin name change does not generate any kind of notification to the user. So if you're logged out at the time you won't be able to get back in until you figure out what your new name is (and that your name being changed is the reason you can't log in in the first place). I'm not sure if it will immediately invalidate your session if you are logged in, the last time I had it done to me was long, long ago.

I have only ever seen it done either in response to an entirely unambiguous request (e.g. posting in a namechange thread) or as a big gently caress you to perennial problem posters.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Whoever redtexts PHIZ please include a link to the post that you're quoting.

I wanted to on that one but I had to pare it down enough as it is, it’s from the r/relationships thread though.

E:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910844&perpage=40&pagenumber=32#post501755619

It’s hard to get a full post link into the 300 character text limit with all the other formatting.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Feb 25, 2020

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I usually find redtexts to be obnoxious but those are pretty endearing.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

RandomFerret posted:

Every single time I have cried mods I was completely serious, because my current username is a shame to me

I vote it gets changed to SpecificFerret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I usually find redtexts to be obnoxious but those are pretty endearing.

PHIZ KALIFA has a way of using some turns of phrase that are so good it’s worth using the 10 bucks to enshrine them next to all his posts for a few months.