Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The only thing you really NEED is to make sure to have is that at least half of your idiots are decent (5+) at medicine, and that you have a builder (construction passion), a farmer (growing passion) and a cook (5+). Artist and researcher passions are nice, but you can make due without them until you capture/rescue/join someone for that role. Oh, and purge those who are incapable of dumb labor. Because gently caress 'em.

Some people swear by prepare carefully, but I'm not as taken with it.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Thx. Is there a good video of what to look for that's fairly recent as well?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Cooks aren't even a landing necessity if you're not doing tribal. Paste dispensers are more than good enough early on; not only are they cheap and nutrient-efficient, they also free up what would be a huge timesink for a colonist.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Keeshhound posted:

The only thing you really NEED is to make sure to have is that at least half of your idiots are decent (5+) at medicine, and that you have a builder (construction passion), a farmer (growing passion) and a cook (5+). Artist and researcher passions are nice, but you can make due without them until you capture/rescue/join someone for that role. Oh, and purge those who are incapable of dumb labor. Because gently caress 'em.

Dumb labor, arsonists and chemical fascination for me are the disqualifiers. Won't even look at someone with them. Creepy breathing depressed pawn? Could be fun, will probably snap and wander off into a blizzard or something. Some rear end in a top hat that won't obey restrictions and gets himself turbo space cancer from all the weed before setting my everything on fire? Get the gently caress out of here.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Kanos posted:

Cooks aren't even a landing necessity if you're not doing tribal. Paste dispensers are more than good enough early on; not only are they cheap and nutrient-efficient, they also free up what would be a huge timesink for a colonist.

I maintain that paste is the ideal food source regardless due to not having a food poisoning chance, and that it forces everyone to eat in the dining room instead of eating off the ground and getting all sad about it. I just run 100% tribal so it slipped my mind that you can start out with it.

There are definitely other traits that people will find disqualifying, but especially for starting out, not having enough haulers is crippling.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 24, 2020

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Doing a fully vanilla run and it took far too long to realize what my crafter pawns were doing and to go change, "Drop on Floor" in the work tab.

I miss my mini fridges SO MUCH.

Also I've got 6 colonists and nobody is fighting with anyone, what is this (missing Psychology and Rumor Has It).

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't run Prepare Carefully either, that short but crucial period of time at the beginning of any given colony where you're trying to manage who's good at what and make due with lackluster or problem colonists is an important aspect of the game imo

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Is there a way to make presets for the work priorities?

I need a couple so that they can go into cleaning mode then to chop tree mode to build mode effortlessly.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Hihohe posted:

Is there a way to make presets for the work priorities?

I need a couple so that they can go into cleaning mode then to chop tree mode to build mode effortlessly.

The simplest way to handle this is just to use manual priorities and keep everything at priority 2 or lower, so that you can quickly reassign (shift-left clicking a work category increments all, shift-right click deincrements all) whatever you're proritizing to priority 1.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Keeshhound posted:

I maintain that paste is the ideal food source regardless due to not having a good poisoning chance, and that it forces everyone to eat in the dining room instead of eating off the ground and getting all sad about it. I just run 100% tribal so it slipped my mind that you can start out with it.

There are definitely other traits that people will find disqualifying, but especially for starting out, not having enough haulers is crippling.

There's an argument to be made that actual meal prep can be worthwhile for the mood benefits when you're in that semi-awkward midpoint where you've lost your "we live in a shithole so our expectations are low" bonuses but aren't quite at the point where you can give everyone solid gold furniture and 10 sculptures to keep them happy, but paste is hard to beat most of the time, yeah.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Well you would presumably not include any of the art or actual descriptive poo poo, but the framework would be there.

So, yes you would be able to write a mod that does all the DLC poo poo if you rewrote all the content and art but that would be the kind of thing that would get shut down.

The alternative is that you can't use any of the framework changes you develop for the expansion pack to develop any other expansion packs because it would create dependency issues, which seems odd?

Basically this. In this case, the C# that handles the actual game mechanics would come with the 1.1 update, but since nothing in the base game actually uses that code, it just gets to sit there idle until either an enterprising modder decides to bolt their mod to it, or you buy the expansion, which has the art assets and XML files that actually utilize the code.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Pyro, chemical interest/fascination and gourmet are my "get the gently caress out" traits. For the simple reason that they will randomly make the colonist have a break and be completely useless for a day while pissing away resources. Maybe they wouldn't be so bad if, in the case of everything not pyro, they just did the extra stuff on the sly while still being functional instead of randomly breaking and bringing attention to it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I've had a gourmand throw a critically injured colonist on the floor to bleed to death and just gently caress off to gorge themselves.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

One of my recently recruited ex-tribals had a tantrum breakdown and threw my emergency stack of 25 glitterworld medicine to the incinerator before I noticed what he was about to do. (I would have arrested and/or beaten the poo poo of that dude with steel maces had I intervened in time.)

Guess whose new combat assignment is the "front melee blocker" and herbal medicine only? IDGAF that he is *much* better shooter than fighter. Maybe lose a limb or three and then we'll consider the rest of the repayment options.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Ah a new expansion. Guess I will on principle never do a favorable thing for them ever, and every game's goal will be to murder via fire and bullet every single royalist worthless scum I see.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

I don't mind if they have certain labours removed as long as they have a useful one (plants, cooking, construction, research) enabled. Once the colony has started up I'd even take the social only bad ones as with the razzle dazzle mod so they could perform plays.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Does muffalo meat cause gutworm or something? They eat a LOT of muffalo meat meals and everyone has what seems to be a chronic case of gutworm. Not great for my 'sickly' colonist who now pukes 24/7.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

AndrewP posted:

Does muffalo meat cause gutworm or something? They eat a LOT of muffalo meat meals and everyone has what seems to be a chronic case of gutworm. Not great for my 'sickly' colonist who now pukes 24/7.

sounds like a dirty cooking area to me. make sure you split up carcasses/raw meat/everything else so they're not touching or sharing storage space. build sterile floors in your kitchen and slaughterhouse which should definitely be separate rooms

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I thought diseases in vanilla were dictated only by the biome (and attributes specific to your pawns), not anything like food prep or coming in contact with people with disease?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Food sickness is usually sufficient to get your dudes dead because of dumb poo poo. They move so slow and interrupt actions frequently enough that they're basically dead weight for the entire spell. If it's an essential person, like a doctor or a cook, things aren't gonna be good.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Unless things have changed in 1.1, the only thing you can prevent by sanitation is food poisoning. Gut worms is just a random event that gets thrown at your people. You cannot catch it from another colonist (no disease is infectious in this way), nor is it related to your diet in any way.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you prevent infections with sanitation as well (it's just a clean bandaging area rather than a clean cooking area) but yeah, gut worms is a random event that happens in temperate and hot biomes.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
I'll buy the expansion without complaint if modders end up building on it and it becomes necessary for a lot of stuff, but I have less than zero interest in any of the content I've seen so far. My colony is an impregnable post-scarcity utopia and my colonists are perfect immortal cyborgs with their consciousnesses backed up to a mainframe on an orbiting space station, so whiny-rear end Space Hapsburgs can gently caress right off unless you can fight them instead of placating them.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tiny Bug Child posted:

unless you can fight them instead of placating them.

you can indeed do this

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I imagine the new content is more interesting if you start a new game.

Haven't played in awhile and had no idea DLC was coming out. Pretty hype to play this tonight.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Thanks for the help everyone. I am sad to say, however, that my colony looks like it's about done for. I set up a killbox completely wrong, so raids now just blow holes in my walls and walk through, or destroy doors leading outside my base. I've tried a few attempts now, but I easily lose some or even all of my pawns because the enemy is rocking the same weapons I am, but there's substantially more of them. In the end, my pawns get massacred. Raids are also starting to include things like rocket launchers, which flat out murder my pawns in one shot.

In good news, the 1.1 update sounds like it's coming down the pipe if it isn't here already, so my colony dying seems like a good time to go out. I'll say goodbye for now, but I don't think I'll try another tribal start. I'm also a little sad that apparently you can't grow/craft the high end items in the game like synthweave or drugs like luciferum. I also was never able to figure out things like how to grow sugar cane, despite being able to mill it into sugar (I had to resort to sugar beets).

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Sounds like you don't have a clear, open path to the center of your base. No doors (or ones held open might work, I don't know), because they'll take the path of least resistance.

Unless you're dealing with sappers. gently caress sappers.

1.1 dropped along with DLC, so now is a good time to start a new colony anyway.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I do, but they will bash down the first door they see instead. I've also had a guy with molotovs just burn down a wooden wall and waltz into my base.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I started a new colony then i got a quest. A noble was being chased and charged me with protecting him. From a rabid guinea pig. I come out and shoot it once with a charge rifle and it dies instantly. The noble was so thankful he rewards me with being named a yeoman and also a psionic enhancer. They then jump in a shuttle and fly off.

I think this dlc is pretty fun.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Haha
Bought royalty. New vanilla run while mods update and I want to see what's new.

Tropical jungle.
Hot.
Randy.

I have a brother and sister plus a young lass who arts and cooks.
Start up is hard, wood buildings, deconstruction some ruins, make a fridge. Clear land for a windmill and pave the area.
Get my first quest. Save a colonist from a tribal scrub. Yay. I need the extra hands and they're a 'Logger' very helpful in this bushland.
+accept+

Randy sends me a pyro, gourmand, depressive with 6 in plants and basically nothing else. Chased by a naked tribal with a club.

Yeah you are useless so give me your lung, kidney and liver and I might be able to sell them.

Everyone now sad that we organ harvested a useless pawn noone knows.
The sister gets attacked by a jaguar and loses an eye, flips out due to sadness over our cruelty and goes on a rampage. We don't have a jail as I barely have three beds. Her brother shoots her which takes out her kidney. Shoots her a few more times before getting his legs beaten. Thwack in the head. He's super sad he maimed his sister. He is the only one with 5 medicine who can replace a kidney so bruised and beaten he patches up his sister before collapsing on a bed himself. The artcook puts some tape on his bruises using the last of our civilised medicine and goes to bed.

During the night he contracts plague.
A few days later he dies due to lack of treatment.

Royalty a++
Would die of plague in the jungle again.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Hmmm. I... accept your challenge.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

20 bucks is a bit steep but I'm more excited about the new music than anything. Quests sound pretty fun too, I dig random poo poo happening to my colony. Any other first impressions?

Twist my arm, I guess I'll reinstall.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

The duck attacked and i shot it once and it died. This was clearly worth 2000$ worth of things .

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
That empire mod looks pretty dope and exactly what I wanted as a mod paired with the expansion.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008

It was in fact a house cat and not a trick to watch my one day old colony get destroyed by a tiger.

New content is what this game thrives on and it seems like everything is built for modders to take advantage of and build upon, exactly the reason I've spent hundreds of hours with this game and its amazing mod support. And having spent so much time with the base game already I don't really feel bad throwing $20 to the dev even if the new additions are incremental rather than revolutionary. That being said it seems good so far and the new music is great

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Telsa Cola posted:

That empire mod looks pretty dope and exactly what I wanted as a mod paired with the expansion.

Woah yeah, that does look really neat.

Mod in question.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

These examples of quests are exactly what I hoped they'd be.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I assume everyone gets a "cowardly xxx" quest in the first few days just to get them established at court. Mine was a manhunting pug that somehow died before it reached my base, maybe from a nearby warg.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Anno posted:

I assume everyone gets a "cowardly xxx" quest in the first few days just to get them established at court. Mine was a manhunting pug that somehow died before it reached my base, maybe from a nearby warg.

There's a chance it's a goose and I want that chance to be 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

did we really need nobles from DF to be a thing in rimworld

:cripes:

seriously lol that of all the things this is what he brought over. it's so quintessentially Tynan