Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nihilumbra is a good game and very much worth it at 70% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

older games (<2005 or so) are very tough for me to put up with anymore but system shock 2 felt like it held up very well for its age. it definitely acts like the 1999 game that it is with some of the content in the back half of the game that goes on for too long, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed it & it’s probably the oldest game I’ve actually managed to finish in the last decade or so. but IMO, if you’re not enjoying the first three levels then you should drop it since I think it overstays its welcome and if you’re not enjoying it now, that’s probably not about to change.

Thanks for this. I like classic games despite their clunkiness sometimes, and I'd read a lot about how much this game holds up. It feels pretty drat clunky in the beginning, but I like the UI and the sound effects. Today is a new day and I'm in the mood to give it one more go. I used an OS upgrade to boost my speed and zooming around has actually made it more fun so far.

CLARPUS fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 24, 2020

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.
Snakebird was cool but hard, so Snakebird Primer became a thing. This is good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Idle thoughts: what's the largest ARPG? In the sense of maps, or places to explore. I expect it's Path of Exile, but with how Van Helsing final cut is three games that could be it.

Does anyone know for sure?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Maybe Grim Dawn, honestly, especially in that it's largely one single, contiguous map.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

StrixNebulosa posted:

Idle thoughts: what's the largest ARPG? In the sense of maps, or places to explore. I expect it's Path of Exile, but with how Van Helsing final cut is three games that could be it.

Does anyone know for sure?
Not really my favorite genre but I'd guess Sacred 2.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Alright time to check my queue, see if anything interesting pops up.

Oh for gently caress's sake, Steam. Why is this even in my queue!? :psyduck:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm guessing it's because this doesn't have the anime tag which you probably have blocked?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Adult only content is one of the very few things that Steam lets you keep out of your queue. Change your settings.

You're still going to see a lot of crap because almost nothing gets tagged as adult only, but it still helps.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I have the 'hentai' tag blocked, which apparently this game doesn't have somehow. I've left 'adult only' on in case something comes up to my taste but that's never going to happen, it's all gross weeb trash.

I never blocked 'anime' or 'sexual content' either because of games like the Atelier series which people keep trolling by tagging it as 'sexual content', and Steam still hasn't removed those tags months after I flagged them. It's infuriating.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The Joe Man posted:

Sacred 2 really is insanely huge (and in one piece!). Maybe Titan Quest at this point, considering it was never small and it's now got 3 (?) expansions.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Serephina posted:

Yea, no boss ever showed any resilience from what I recall. The chinese evil lady was more notable for having that dungeon prior to her than her fight itself, where she probably just got gunned down like everybody else. Also if your flamethrower isn't automauling everything you might wanna check your files, cuz that's just not right.

Same experience, i think I cheated past her as well.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

For those who might be interested, there's a demo for the English version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 up on Steam.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nuramor posted:

But then how would you know who made the game, who published it and what its name is?
Clearly you need to be reminded of these things every time you want to start playing. You could have forgotten.

At obscenely loud volume because they link system settings to your savefile and one isn't loaded yet.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

atholbrose posted:

For those who might be interested, there's a demo for the English version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 up on Steam.

I guess people shouldn't sit on this, since uh, they're taking the demo down in a month? What a pointless thing to do. I don't understand the reasoning behind time limited demos like that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Van Helsing: Final Cut: so that was exactly the kind of colorful nonsense I want out of this genre. First boss of the game, a werewolf pack and their leader. You beat him once, he takes you to magical spirit world where you have to destroy five summoning totems, beat him again...and it's gorgeous. Pure neon nonsense that looks great in motion, with lots of setting detail.

That said, argh! I installed this as a podcast game but the writing and dialogue is actually good enough to want to read and hear everything. The interplay between Helsing and his ghost friend is great, and I'm having so much fun. But... my poor neglected podcasts...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Joe Man posted:

Oh, duh, I always forget about Sacred. Never actually got far in either game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You just need to watch the in-game metal concert featuring Blind Guardian and that's the full Sacred 2 experience.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Mischievous Mink posted:

I guess people shouldn't sit on this, since uh, they're taking the demo down in a month? What a pointless thing to do. I don't understand the reasoning behind time limited demos like that.

Some executive somewhere said "It'll cut into our bottom line and damage game sales for the long term if we're giving away a version of the game for free!"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A new Sacred but this time with actually good combat would be neat tho...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Too Shy Guy posted:

Disco Elysium is up in the Weeklong Deals if you've foolishly not grabbed it yet, along with gems like Noita, SYNTHETIK, and Sundered. I got a big roundup list right here for ya.

Disco obviously everybody should get but just adding on to Too Shy Guy's recommendation of Noita, which is goddamn great.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

ErrEff posted:

Some executive somewhere said "It'll cut into our bottom line and damage game sales for the long term if we're giving away a version of the game for free!"

Which is hilarious considering "give away a part of our game" was literally the business model of PC games. Imagine Id decided not to do Episode 1 of Doom shareware.

They replaced Demos, a proven concept, with "spend as much as the entire budget of the game again on marketing" and called it good.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I have the 'hentai' tag blocked, which apparently this game doesn't have somehow. I've left 'adult only' on in case something comes up to my taste but that's never going to happen, it's all gross weeb trash.

I never blocked 'anime' or 'sexual content' either because of games like the Atelier series which people keep trolling by tagging it as 'sexual content', and Steam still hasn't removed those tags months after I flagged them. It's infuriating.

If the ESRB is any indication, a woman's bare midriff is sexual content and partial nudity.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Happy to report that I can play Sacred 2 for the first time ever since the community patch makes it actually work with Windows 10. I installed the game, installed the patch, and now it runs fine.

As for the game itself, I can play as a robot doggie

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Sacred 1 and 2 were neat, mostly in part because they had some real crazy classes to play, a kind of insanity not seen in any others. a weird flawed euro-janky game though. i wouldn't replay them today though, too many good games. shame Ascaron never really succeeded and lol sacred 3

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Xaris posted:

Sacred 1 and 2 were neat, mostly in part because they had some real crazy classes to play, a kind of insanity not seen in any others. a weird flawed euro-janky game though. i wouldn't replay them today though, too many good games. shame Ascaron never really succeeded and lol sacred 3

I mean, the real shame is that the ex-devs trying to do the spiritual successor folded when one of their key programmers died. That was a long depressing rabbit hole to chase one night.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

classes include: a literal angel, a kind of Egyptian anubis robot with a megaman arm???

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Xaris posted:

I mean, what's good in the ARPG genre today? Path of Exile, Titan Quest+Grim Dawn, Van Helsing Final Cut, Soldak's weirdo games, maybe Book of Demons, How to Survive 1+2, Torchlight (ehhh), and Victor Vran.

Maybe Diablo 3 but I can't justify buying it. Maybe the new 40k ARPG by the Helsing people. Apparently Wolcen sucks?

So while there are clearly better choices, there aren't enough of them to write off the early Sacreds forever. As far as I know it's a weird tiny genre.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

"strix, does this new interest in ARPGs mean you're done with zombies" nah, it just means I need a podcast game!

also I was playing Project Zomboid this morning and dad walked in mid-combat and I had to pause and listen to him tell a dad joke and by the time I unpaused I'd lost the tempo of combat and got bitten and there went that run.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

StrixNebulosa posted:

I mean, what's good in the ARPG genre today? Path of Exile, Titan Quest+Grim Dawn, Van Helsing Final Cut, Soldak's weirdo games, maybe Book of Demons, How to Survive 1+2, Torchlight (ehhh), and Victor Vran.

Maybe Diablo 3 but I can't justify buying it. Maybe the new 40k ARPG by the Helsing people. Apparently Wolcen sucks?

So while there are clearly better choices, there aren't enough of them to write off the early Sacreds forever. As far as I know it's a weird tiny genre.

It's a fair point that it's pretty limited, but ARPGs are already in themselves like 400 hr behemoths if you want them to be, especially PoE; and there are lots of other non-arpg spectacular games out there as well. I would recommend D3+RoS if you haven't though, i think it goes on sale pretty cheap. I'm actually lukewarm on it and even after they "fixed it" i still didn't like it that much, but it's still a good modern and simple one that it would be remiss to miss

im playing through Grim Dawn+DLC with a friend and it's a drat good game if you haven't played that either. I usually put a TV show or podcast on my second monitor and play through it just fine

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'll stan for Wolcen. It's got great underlying combat mechanics and is easily the prettiest ARPG around, but it's buggy and unbalanced as all hell. It's pretty obvious the studio ran out of money and released it as is, but it sold a shitload and if they keep working on it I'd recommend it wholeheartedly. I don't usually get far into engame stuff, but if they fix what's broke, then it's good for a few campaign runthroughs if nothing else. Otherwise Grim Dawn's definitely my favourite game in the genre, probably of all time. D2's got some sick mods also.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Xaris posted:

It's a fair point that it's pretty limited, but ARPGs are already in themselves like 400 hr behemoths if you want them to be, especially PoE; and there are lots of other non-arpg spectacular games out there as well. I would recommend D3+RoS if you haven't though, i think it goes on sale pretty cheap. I'm actually lukewarm on it and even after they "fixed it" i still didn't like it that much, but it's still a good modern and simple one that it would be remiss to miss

im playing through Grim Dawn+DLC with a friend and it's a drat good game if you haven't played that either. I usually put a TV show or podcast on my second monitor and play through it just fine

I cannot give money to Blizzard currently, but if it ever turns up in a bundle I'll give D3 a go.

As for Grim Dawn I'm struggling to find a groove in it. I've put four hours into it over the last few years and it just hasn't clicked. Might be the build, might be me. I'll give it more time tomorrow.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

StrixNebulosa posted:

Apparently Wolcen sucks?
i keep putting off writing a big review about it and maybe that itself is the review.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

What I know about Wolcen: it was missing like 75% of its content until the 1.0 release, the release dropped, and now it has mixed reviews on steam, and the general tone of those reviews are "I want to love this game but"

Which is to say I'd be up for buying it in a few months, maybe years, but certainly not now.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

StrixNebulosa posted:

I cannot give money to Blizzard currently, but if it ever turns up in a bundle I'll give D3 a go.

As for Grim Dawn I'm struggling to find a groove in it. I've put four hours into it over the last few years and it just hasn't clicked. Might be the build, might be me. I'll give it more time tomorrow.
yeah fair enough; i'm pretty much not buying anything new-blizz. I initially bounced off GD but trying it again got me into it, but also helped I've been playing with a friend and sharing loot makes it a lot better. Seems to have pretty functional public multiplayer

Also yeah Wolcen is "bad", I bought it and refunded it. It has too many structural issues to probably fix but worth a check out at the end of the year for winter sale if it's $15. it ain't worth $40 at all though and needs some serious time in the oven because it was totally rushed as hell. I mean it has some good parts, it's general moment-gameplay stuff (if you don't fall through a floor or off the map) is really good, but everything else is a real mess and itemization is horrendously bad.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
You definitely want that auto-attack/spell skill that's satisfying to you in grim dawn early on. And then cheat yourself super speed after 3 dozen hours.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Wolcen is still very very much in early access, don't be fooled by the release moniker. The good news about it is that the game looks good, and the combat feels good. The bad news is that it is buggy and unbalanced as all hell. Half of the passive tree nodes don't even work. Some of the skills are doing orders of magnitude more damage than others. There have been some seriously nasty progression being lost or not registered properly kind of bugs, online stash tabs disappearing, and so on. Not sure how many of those have been fixed by now, but still worth noting. I would say give it another 6-12 months or so and then take another look and see how much they've fixed it up. It has a lot of potential if they keep working on it.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
wolcen makes a pretty strong impression in the first 2-3 hours and seems like it has a lot of promise, then quickly unravels and reveals itself to be an unfinished, buggy bad game

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

please don't buy Wolcen before waiting a few more weeks to see how it pans out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

oh yeah, that reminds me of one of my biggest complaints where i took a talent that poisoned everyone in a 10 yard radius every 2 seconds and others that boosted my damage to poisoned enemies. except the former talent gets turned off in cut scenes, presumably so it doesn't kill people and break them, and doesn't get turned back on after so i had to struggle through every single boss fight doing much less damage than i should have been and constantly exiting the game to reactivate my build.

the pinwheel tree is a cool gimmick though.