Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I keep my vodka under the sink personally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
In a big friendly bleach canister, to scare away thieves

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Nurge posted:

We know the population lethality rates for flu, instead of transmission lethality rates. We know neither for coronavirus. Hence, the numbers are smaller than the ones reported. This is not rocket science.

e: Let me make this even simpler. Case fatality rate is the absolute upper bound of what population fatality rate can be. It will be much lower than that.

I got a strong feeling you don't work in the medical field or in statistics.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Colonel Cancer posted:

In a big friendly bleach canister, to scare away thieves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DGUDC_hbWk

mindstorm
Jan 28, 2011

Smellrose
I appreciate the non-scaremongering posts. Sounds like china didn't realize they were hosed until they were hosed (for whatever reason) and i can only hope if it spreads in the US it spares my parents. And me too, at that rate. But yea, bat flu ain't nothin to gently caress with.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mindstorm posted:

I appreciate the non-scaremongering posts. Sounds like china didn't realize they were hosed until they were hosed (for whatever reason) and i can only hope if it spreads in the US it spares my parents. And me too, at that rate. But yea, bat flu ain't nothin to gently caress with.

The big question for us here in the US, and the world in general, is whether this thing will survive well enough through warm weather that it can come back big next winter. Even if there are hidden infected people in the US right now, just waiting for the 2 weeks incubation to set things off, the rate of doubling wouldn't be hitting tons of people before May and the normal end of cold & flu season. Your parents are gonna be ok, for now.

SARS was sufficiently hampered by warm weather that the first summer pretty much killed it, there was too small a reservoir before it was winter again. Covid is way more infectious than SARS to start, but if it also happens to really hate summers that would be really helpful for us. OTOH if it can keep that R-value close enough to 1 to persist like normal cold viruses then it's gonna be tough 9 months from now.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

here's the deal. 10,000 people in serious condition in any locality will completely and comprehensively overwhelm any health system anywhere.

That's true, and it has also been true throughout China's effected areas. It's not like Hubei has had a ton of available respirators. So it's not really relevant to the statistics, as that is already baked in

And if you are in one of the demographics with a 0.3% chance of needing ICU care then there's a 99.7% chance that your case fatality rate won't be impacted at all by overcrowded hospitals.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

QuarkJets posted:

That's true, and it has also been true throughout China's effected areas. It's not like Hubei has had a ton of available respirators. So it's not really relevant to the statistics, as that is already baked in

And if you are in one of the demographics with a 0.3% chance of needing ICU care then there's a 99.7% chance that your case fatality rate won't be impacted at all by overcrowded hospitals.

The rate of cases ranked as severe is closer to 19-20%. Most of these people don't need an ICU but need oxygen.
How many of those do we have? How many of those people will die without the oxygen supply?

How many more will die from secondary complications as their immune system is overwhelmed by Covid-19?
Looking at the fatality rate alone is a completely pointless and idiotic exercise if you want any outlook on real world mortality.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1231959925040939009

(i did not bother to double-check this)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

VomitOnLino posted:

Looking at the fatality rate alone is a completely pointless and idiotic exercise if you want any outlook on real world mortality.

Wasn't there a quote several pages back from a biostatistician who said that the numbers being released by the Chinese fit the curve too perfectly, and there's no chance that they're accurate numbers?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Klyith posted:

The big question for us here in the US, and the world in general, is whether this thing will survive well enough through warm weather that it can come back big next winter. Even if there are hidden infected people in the US right now, just waiting for the 2 weeks incubation to set things off, the rate of doubling wouldn't be hitting tons of people before May and the normal end of cold & flu season. Your parents are gonna be ok, for now.

SARS was sufficiently hampered by warm weather that the first summer pretty much killed it, there was too small a reservoir before it was winter again. Covid is way more infectious than SARS to start, but if it also happens to really hate summers that would be really helpful for us. OTOH if it can keep that R-value close enough to 1 to persist like normal cold viruses then it's gonna be tough 9 months from now.

What does warm weather have to do with disease spread?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK222258/

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wasn't there a quote several pages back from a biostatistician who said that the numbers being released by the Chinese fit the curve too perfectly, and there's no chance that they're accurate numbers?

They didn't fit anywhere close to perfectly. What the people making those predictions did was generate a logistics curve (which can easily be matched to virus activity) that looked ok and fit the data they had, then gave the data really broad bars so you couldn't easily tell how far off it really was.

Basically: Find a statistician friend and have them tell you how dumb that claim is.

E: Oh yeah, last time i saw that claim they also had played with the scale of the graph to hide how rough the actual data was.

Honestly, instead of trying to find conspiracy stories y'all should be worried about how hosed up and 100% unprepared the US healthcare is for such an event and how that's entirely down to US culture being incredible inhuman.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 25, 2020

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
ty for such an excellent informative link

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mithaldu posted:

Honestly, instead of trying to find conspiracy stories y'all should be worried about how hosed up and 100% unprepared the US healthcare is for such an event and how that's entirely down to US culture being incredible inhuman.
I'm a multitasker; I can worry about multiple things at the same time. Like, the flu is bad and coronavirus is also bad and the Trump administration is also also bad and ...

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
What's the fatality rate without any treatment?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

"The peak number of reported cases averaged over five seasons from 1994 to 1999 occurred in mid-December through February. It is reasonable to assume that the disease transmission cycle is influenced by climate, but the actual driving mechanisms are not well understood and have been the subject of few quantitative studies. Annual influenza outbreaks do not appear to correlate with mean winter or monthly temperature (Langford and Bentham, 1995). The interannual variability in the virulence of influenza strains makes interpretation of the relevant data difficult"

Cool, seems like the spreading of viruses likely doesn't have much to do with temperature according to your link?

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

human garbage bag posted:

This is the true question as the real problem is the health infrastructure being overwhelmed, which may be the main problem in China. It would be great to compare that to flu mortality without treatment.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The average virus is a fragile bit of RNA goo held in a weak molecular shell. They fall apart on their own from exposure to oxygen, sunlight, and mild chemicals like soap. When it's cool and dry that slows down the degrading forces, so they can last longer.

tl;dr a virus is a cadbury egg except not delicious, and they melt in the summer

Other diseases are different; bacteria are much better put-together, and anything that wants a mosquito or tick or whatnot to carry it between people will obviously prefer whatever time of year their carrier enjoys.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

mindstorm posted:

China didn't realize because the information was actively kept from the top levels of leadership because of the policies and culture top leadership set up. Having things in your province or district go less than ideally means your career is done. Toast. So if you have a mysterious illness you don't try to investigate it or look around or do anything that might bring it to peoples attention because if its NOT a mysterious new illness and just the regular old flu you just flushed your career down the toilet for "starting rumors" or "spreading panic". It happens in almost every authoritarian regime. Inevitably you get hosed up because the people on the ground are telling you want to hear instead of what you need to hear out of pure self-preservation.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this is probably whats happening in every other chinese province btw

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

People entering the ICU (e.g. developing serious symptoms) in China have had about a 50% chance of death. So multiply any demographic cfr by 2 for a rough estimate of the death rate without treatment. But also, mostly it's older people who have needed serious treatment, so this is going to overestimate the death rate for younger demographics

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

This will all become academic once Bernie is elected and makes sweeping changes to our healthcare system with zero obstruction by either party.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

It's a flat 69%.

(I'm guessing not far from the reported 0.2%-3.6%, age bracket depending.)

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

frogge posted:

It's a flat 69%.

(I'm guessing not far from the reported 0.2%-3.6%, age bracket depending.)

Isn't that the same mortality rate as treated Ebola?

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Klyith posted:

That may explain how the Australian cases haven't spread outside of people living in the same household. Unfortunately we are getting towards the end of our Summer and given the :mediocre: at best response from the government we will probably provide a good case study for the US.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
We'll be saved from the virus by... global warming?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

uvar posted:

We'll be saved from the virus by... global warming?

And the virus will save us from global warming. Win Win!!!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

WalletBeef posted:

I'm curious, whats the fatality rate in China vs the rest of the world?
3.369% Worldwide
3.429% in China
3.956% in Wuhan

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

QuarkJets posted:

People entering the ICU (e.g. developing serious symptoms) in China have had about a 50% chance of death. So multiply any demographic cfr by 2 for a rough estimate of the death rate without treatment. But also, mostly it's older people who have needed serious treatment, so this is going to overestimate the death rate for younger demographics

Wuhan undercounted the dead body a lot in Jan. A lot of people died without confirming the virus in their bodies. The government has an idea how many people died thru the cremation data. However wuhan also severely undercounted the light patients and asymptomatic infected. They can't get a number unless they do large scale antibody test on the whole city.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just saw this. Wasn't this guy at a summit with other EU leaders recently? :thunk:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-slovakia-election-primeminister/slovak-pm-pellegrini-cancels-schedule-due-to-illness-idUSKCN20H0A9

quote:

Slovak PM Pellegrini cancels schedule due to illness

PRAGUE (Reuters) - Slovak Prime Minister Peter Pellegrini canceled his agenda because of sudden illness, his office said on Sunday, just one week ahead of a parliamentary election in which his party might lose power.

Pellegrini was due to appear in a televised debate later on Sunday with leaders of all other parties taking part in the European Union member country’s Feb. 29 vote.

“Prime Minister Peter Pellegrini was hospitalized yesterday night due to acute upper respiratory tract infection accompanied with high temperature. Due to his condition, he is cancelling his entire schedule temporarily,” Pellegrini’s office said in a statement.

Final opinion polls last week showed a group of five to six opposition parties ranging from progressives to conservatives may try to join forces to oust Pellegrini’s Smer from power, with anti-graft movement Ordinary People and Independent Personalities (OLANO) closing in on Smer.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

"The peak number of reported cases averaged over five seasons from 1994 to 1999 occurred in mid-December through February. It is reasonable to assume that the disease transmission cycle is influenced by climate, but the actual driving mechanisms are not well understood and have been the subject of few quantitative studies. Annual influenza outbreaks do not appear to correlate with mean winter or monthly temperature (Langford and Bentham, 1995). The interannual variability in the virulence of influenza strains makes interpretation of the relevant data difficult"

Cool, seems like the spreading of viruses likely doesn't have much to do with temperature according to your link?

I mean, there's an outbreak in Iran and that's not a particularly chilly place.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Necrothatcher posted:

I mean, there's an outbreak in Iran and that's not a particularly chilly place.

There was loving snow in the streets a week ago

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

So this is happening.

https://twitter.com/ChinaUncensored/status/1231934927370903552?s=19

Which is a goddamn shame because dude is pretty informative. Youtube has been demonetizing his videos for a long time because he constantly talks poo poo about China.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Oh no worries, can't have a discussion if we just flame each other over our opinions.

I think Chappell (the guy that runs China Uncensored and America Uncensored) leans a bit more into sarcasm to get his points across. He's not interested in toe-ing the CCP line and generally harps at poo poo that doesn't make the 24hr news cycle. I'll grant that I don't watch a lot about China in the first place, but his channel offers a glimpse outside of the typical centrist and right wing news haphazardly throwing meat at the wolves.

As far as Shapiro, I have no idea why he'd follow that tool aside from a "friends close, enemies closer" angle. It may be that, connection of convenience. I'm not going to defend that, because it's a terrible reason to be friendly to nazis.
China Uncensored and America Uncensored are both operations from New Tang Dynasty Television, which is the Falun Gong's media company. Facebook cracked down on them recently:

https://twitter.com/BrandyZadrozny/status/1164693990714806273

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Tang_Dynasty_Television

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
o_o

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1232276183305400320?s=20

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Save that face for when it turns out the Slovak PM has it and gave it to half the EU leaders.

Chemtrail
Dec 29, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

China Uncensored and America Uncensored are both operations from New Tang Dynasty Television, which is the Falun Gong's media company. Facebook cracked down on them recently:

So who are the good guys here? I need to pick a side.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

https://twitter.com/BrandyZadrozny/status/1164693990714806273

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Tang_Dynasty_Television

So I guess keep making up poo poo about China year in and year out is okay, but trying to get their hands in the American politic finally did themselves in.

I am curious has Scientology ever tried to blatantly push the political agenda like that before?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Scientology is probably quite content sitting on their tons of land they own and millions of Dollars, no reason to rock the boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Great, two cases in Austria, exactly where my parents went on vacation. Can't wait to get this poo poo. Yay.