Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Since the expansion's systems are built into the base game so I don't need it for any mods that use it... meh. As something that's basically a faction pack with some music I think it's about double the price it's worth. I'm going to hold off and see how this expansion thing develops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I guess I will buy this since I want to keep playing the game with mods. Hopefully it is also good on top of the that tax.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Ended up buying it. I dont mind the noble system too much because it gives you something to do during those hurry up and wait times. You can also join the rebels or whatever and bypass the royalty system and still get that sweet loot.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall that the nobles in DF were an impediment and essentially the solution most people took to them was ignoring them or outright isolating them away from the community.

Though this addition does make me wonder what the Dwarven Economy system in Rimworld would look like.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SkySteak posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall that the nobles in DF were an impediment and essentially the solution most people took to them was ignoring them or outright isolating them away from the community.

Though this addition does make me wonder what the Dwarven Economy system in Rimworld would look like.

you're wrong, people typically murder the nobles with hilarious rube goldberg devices rather than ignore the problem

because they're loving obnoxious

e: if you try to play with nobles "properly," you will inevitably get a mandate for something you can't produce, you will fail it, and one of your best workers will get beaten to death by the hammerer. if you dump them into a volcano, however, you can actually just ignore the problem because they're dead and can't give you stupid mandates.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Does fulfilling mandates even give you anything in DF?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
More mandates.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If I liked Prison Architect will I like this? I was actually surprised to see they're from different devs, they have very similar aesthetics.

Is there any sort of deluxe version with dlc, or are they just going to sell them all separately? I like having a complete package but the game + the one released dlc is already pushing $60...

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tynan doesn't believe in discounts no.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

So far having a noble seems to be something you strive for, unlike DF. You dont get nobles who just seem to show up, I think you have to upgrade your current pawns to a noble. It also seems that the empire only allows nobles to use psionic abilities. You can get some randos psionic but if they dont have the proper authority theres a chance the empire will crack down on that and I guess eventually they'll become hostile.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

If I liked Prison Architect will I like this? I was actually surprised to see they're from different devs, they have very similar aesthetics.

absolutely nothing alike

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also is there any working mod right now for 1.1 that unlocks the speed options during events/combat?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Tried out the new DLC, first event was a coward knight being chased by a monkey.

Usually I follow the old Polish proverb, but in this case I let him hide in my shack with my two pawns who were dying of malaria.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

boar guy posted:

absolutely nothing alike

Both were going through crowdfunding and Tynan asked if he could use the weeble set, and the PA guys said yes. It was a pretty nice example of cooperation, tbh. That was back when we had gibbet cages and the aesthetic was more Mad Max.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So one thing that I noticed when I was screwing around in DLC that was barely mentioned in the description and is a pretty big deal (at least for me) is that the DLC significantly increases number and type of vanilla prosthetic. In-fact there is around two dozen new implants (there can be even more that you can get only through quests) that you can research and craft and most of them are pretty exotic. You got things like venom fangs, elbow blades, knee spikes, armored skin (three variants, each giving the pawn progressively more armor, while making him/her more and more ugly), drill arms, beautification implants and aesthetic noses (makes pawn more beautiful), nuclear stomach (pawn got nuclear reactor instead of stomach, so they need almost no food, but also have high risk of developing carcinomas, because again, they have nuclear reactor instead of stomach :v:) and more.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Anyone know of a mod that gives more options for world generation, so I'm not stuck choosing between 5%, 30%,50% and 100%? I'd love to be able to generate a 10 or 15% world, but all my searches just lead to map size mods and not world size.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Taeke posted:

Anyone know of a mod that gives more options for world generation, so I'm not stuck choosing between 5%, 30%,50% and 100%? I'd love to be able to generate a 10 or 15% world, but all my searches just lead to map size mods and not world size.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1571623829

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Perfect, thanks!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also recommend the axial tilt option for making hilariously varied seasons.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Boy naked brutality start in a boreal forest is no joke. There's not a single berry on the map so I'm hunting hares with a wooden club trying to live long enough to get my crafting up to 2 so I can make a bow. Every hare bite is a potentially game-ending infection. 3 more days until the rice comes in!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

so this is one of the ways the royal content manifests itself:

the first quest is always some minor animal that you have to slay for a royal who will stay with you for a few days, then you get your first psychic power and royal title. you'll get events to protect people from other clans, or build monuments to them, for example. as you gain titles, you also gain psychic powers, the two of which i've seen so far slow the attacker down by half and another that bonds two pawns so they share psychic affinities.

the undignified bedroom modifier is because the floor isn't fully tiled. have to build a throne room now too, probably just go 15*15 because as he gains titles he's gonna want more and bigger stuff i think

also i was just wondering if the new music completely overwrote the old since i played for a few hours last night and never heard the old music but now i guess it's looped back around because the old tunes are playing again also

edit: it's neat. i like the new win condition and it reminds me vaguely of building a throne room in Civ 2 or 3

boar guy fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 25, 2020

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Simple Sidearms and Realistic Rooms have now been updated for more of that sweet sweet QoL mods

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

boar guy posted:

edit: it's neat. i like the new win condition
?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

If you get enough Royal Favor with the new Empire faction and promote one of your colonists into a bigwig noble, you can host a diplomatic arrangement where some even biggerwig noble and their bodyguards come to stay at your colony for 15 days and you have to satisfy their outrageous demands to keep their happiness up, while their political enemies launch raids on your colony. If you succeed the empire grants you a position at court and sends an imperial starship to pick you up and bring you to your new life of luxury in imperial noble politics. It's pretty funny and very thematic for the theme of the DLC.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

it's in the trailer. if you royal up a guy enough they'll come rescue you

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Work Tab and Research Tree have been updated to 1.1. They haven't been pushed to the workshop yet.

https://github.com/fluffy-mods/

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Put in a few hours last night. Highlights:
- Got noble title for rescuing a nobleman from the vicious hare that was pursuing him. One of my pawns immediately started a social fight and knocked him out because she was in a bad mood. Shoveled him into the shuttle and got the reward anyway.
- Count asked me to guard his 6 pet thrumbos for a couple weeks. I "guarded" them by allowing them to horribly maul anyone who approached the gates. Then received a suspiciously well-timed trade request from a neighbor: give two thrumbo horns in exchange for some kind of fancy psychic shirt. I declined.
- Got male recruit who was fleeing some kind of AI, and the AI nuked my female pawn's consciousness stat for a few days in retaliation. Even AIs get jealous I guess.

Game still good

deathrat
May 25, 2010
If anyone else has been sadly playing without Allow Tool, I just finished getting it to stop throwing errors in 1.1, but I haven't tested it much yet. If anyone wants to help me test it you can grab it here.

deathrat fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 26, 2020

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Is there a point where I should be going out and exploring, or does the content sort of come to you?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Is there a point where I should be going out and exploring, or does the content sort of come to you?

the latter, for the most part, if you're trying to "win"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I really like the idea of nobility because it gives me an excuse to build big giant hubris rooms with uses again. Not having a reason to make an enormous overly lavish church was the hardest part about removing the cults mod

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Picked up Royalty and sat down to play the tutorial. I can see this game being extremely my poo poo. I know the new version just came out and probably broke a lot of mods, but are there any quality of life mods for 1.1 that you guys suggest aside from Prepare Carefully and RimHUD? I'm not really looking to change the experience of vanilla too much since I am just starting.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Rimworld is perfectly playable without any mods, and right now all the mods are in flux since people are updating for the new patch that came along with the DLC.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Play vanilla while learning the game - not only will it give you a more balanced and consistent experience, it will also remove the problem that you're going to have right now of mods not being updated or necessarily compatible for a bit.

After a week or so when all the mods are updated you can assemble your 160 mod megapack. :getin:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It'll also give you some experience so you know what mods you'll want to try out.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just finished with my vanilla run. The amount of space vanilla requires is BANANAS after living the Deep Storage / OgreStack life. Holyshit pawn, 5X5 is your base line for your bedroom?! Ahhhhhh, I mined this wall of components and it just gave me TWO?!?

It was enlightening, like going camping with rental gear. I now fully appreciate the changes I made when I complied my mod megapack.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Leal posted:

It'll also give you some experience so you know what mods you'll want to try out.
Yeah, this is a big thing. Rimworld is so moddable that there's a billion different things to pick, and having some experience makes it a lot easier to know what you want. Did something annoy you or seem fiddly? Grab QOL patch for that. Did you have trouble finding information? Grab a related UI mod. Want more variety? Grab a content expansion or whatever.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Also a lot of gameplay that is fiddly can be sidestepped by the scenario editor. Don't like bug invasions, exclude the event. Don't like not having power, add a BioFuel generator and battery to your start. Don't like recruitment phase, fuckin start with 150 pawns.

But you'll never know what you like or don't like until you engage with it the first time.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

Just finished with my vanilla run. The amount of space vanilla requires is BANANAS after living the Deep Storage / OgreStack life. Holyshit pawn, 5X5 is your base line for your bedroom?! Ahhhhhh, I mined this wall of components and it just gave me TWO?!?

It was enlightening, like going camping with rental gear. I now fully appreciate the changes I made when I complied my mod megapack.

OgreStack got updated, but I haven't seen Deep Storage yet. Haven't played in a bit, so I'm waiting out the delay until at least QEE and EvolvedOrgansRedux get updated, along with stuff like allow tool. Seems like a lot of QoL stuff is getting handled pretty quickly, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Just yolo it and subscribe to the top 100 mods.

don't actually do this