Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
He was a wacko daredevil in the middle of the desert who wanted to build rockets. That's about it. The flat-earth thing entered into it because he ran out of money and flat-earthers offered him funding to go up and prove their theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

For a return to true aeronautical insanity, 'Mad Mike' Hughes died today. If you guessed his steam powered rocket's parachute came off during launch and he hit the ground at a speed incompatible with survival, you win the jackpot.

E: god drat. Everything showed up as 'read', figured I was first to post

Quelle surprise that cospiracies from the already conspiracy loving nutjobs are starting, but this comment sums it up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The Deep State Lizard People killed him. :tinfoil:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

They'll say Big Round Earth killed him, and in a way they're right. He was killed by impact with a big, round earth.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
How high was he planning on getting anyway, seeing how previous attempts hadn’t cleared 2k feet or so I read.

High enough for terminal velocity I suppose.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

priznat posted:

How high was he planning on getting anyway, seeing how previous attempts hadn’t cleared 2k feet or so I read.

I don't think planning entered into it. At least with that trajectory he probably wasn't aware enough from the initial acceleration to know when he face planted. Bit pissed off some emergency responder is going to have to dig all that poo poo out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

For a return to true aeronautical insanity, 'Mad Mike' Hughes died today. If you guessed his steam powered rocket's parachute came off during launch and he hit the ground at a speed incompatible with survival, you win the jackpot.

E: god drat. Everything showed up as 'read', figured I was first to post

“Category: Entertainment”, real classy YouTube.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I am half convinced that parachutes are more complicated than rockets.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

OddObserver posted:

All my tiny little model rockets taught me that is truth.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

5000 feet. Yup. Coulda caught any old plane.

But as mentioned, he was seeking flat earther funding to help his hobby, so you can't just take any old flight as the windows in planes make the horizon curved.

Even a skydiving plane with an open door can go much higher and let you see.

Anyway, the Darwin award has been wrapped up early this year.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

OddObserver posted:

rockets predate parachutes by 500 years

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Deep State Lizard People killed him. :tinfoil:

God-drat NASA Ice-Wall guards strike again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It feels like foul play conspiracy theories are kinda putting a hat on a hat at this point.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Dude, it‘s loving scary to watch that parachute come off during launch. I don’t know how to describe what I’m feeling: knowing the dude will die but he doesn’t know it yet.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
In the end, he got the attention he wanted. Mission Accomplished.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bob A Feet posted:

Dude, it‘s loving scary to watch that parachute come off during launch. I don’t know how to describe what I’m feeling: knowing the dude will die but he doesn’t know it yet.

Bemused horror? The chute deploying at the absolute wrong time is almost comical, like watching a KSP video. But then the rocket just keeps going on its merry way with a man inside and you know he’s going to die. What really hit me was watching the camera guy in frame slowly panic, know he could do nothing, and then collapse to the ground after the rocket falls.

Dude died doing a stupid thing for stupid people but once the dark comedy wears off its loving brutal. I can’t imagine watching a friend tumble to their death from a distance.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/dex_eve/status/1230985738168094720

Current mood is a cross between 🤔 and :stonk:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

battlestar galactica fanart looking p deece

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Landing that loving thing would've been interesting. I'd imagine if you'd expended all the rounds for the GAU-8, your CG would be hosed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it looks like it's probably designed to put the ammo drum right on the CG actually

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

holy poo poo that looks awesome

marumaru
May 20, 2013

we were robbed of this

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

But Wait! There's More!
It's Also a Parasite Fighter!

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
The B-N Trislander is already fairly insane; "We need to make the Islander carry more stuff. What if we made a DC-10 but with piston engines?"

But then they decided to try the same concept with a bigger version of the BN-3 Nymph (which was their idea for a sorta C172 but optimised for rough-country flying in the Third World - it didn't happen and neither did the Twin Nymph)

Centre-line twin with both the engines facing forward!

Apparently at the same time they were working on an Islander variant that was even bigger than the Trislander, called the BN-4 Mainlander which was one with four wing-mounted Lycoming O-540s:

That didn't happen.

AND they were working on a turboprop powered Islander with retractable undercarriage for sale as a COIN aircraft:

This didn't happen either.

AND they were designing commercial hovercraft for cargo and passenger work in bits of the developing world where the terrain was too boggy/inhospitable even for an Islander. Which didn't happen.

Unsurprisingly with all these projects kicking around that never came to anything B-N went bust!

Should probably say that the paintings are by Ivan Berryman (http://www.ivanberrymandirect.com/blog_archive.htm) whose father was B-N's chief engineer for all these never-were projects.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Kobe Bryant’s widow sues helicopter operator for deaths: https://apnews.com/574018915e32e3e7e7be208c409596fd

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the trislander is fuckin ace I really want to ride in one

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They did put a GAU-8 on the F-16.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The previous concept is more like trying to put an F-16 onto a GAU-8.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The Marine idea of mounting them on LCACs is utterly wild.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

They did put a GAU-8 on the F-16.

I swear a read an article a few years ago probably linked from here that went over how complicated a self contained GAU-8 was and not building a plane around it...

Maybe it was youtube

e: Apparently the video is gone but I'm going to guess it was from this:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/18569/ge-really-wants-to-sell-you-a-30mm-cannon-pod-in-this-classic-marketing-reel

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 25, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

The Marine idea of mounting them on LCACs is utterly wild.

They wouldn't have been full-barreled GAU-8s, they'd have been a shorter-barreled version along the lines of the Goalkeeper CIWS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goalkeeper_CIWS

Sounds the same, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP-TWxnIN_I

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 25, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anybody want to report a Twitter profile to try and get them banned?

https://twitter.com/ScottsdaleNoise

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

e.pilot posted:

This one seems kind of like a threat:

https://twitter.com/ScottsdaleNoise/status/1228806477940289536

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Yeah so does telling someone to drink bleach in earnest.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

The "drink bleach" one too. His Facebook page has already been closed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The way twitter goes I’m surprised he doesn’t have a blue check mark.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

BalloonFish posted:

The B-N Trislander is already fairly insane; "We need to make the Islander carry more stuff. What if we made a DC-10 but with piston engines?"

Saw one of these for the first time in a video about one of those wacky short island runways (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7uBjRKkdnk Los Roques, off Venezuela); I knew about the Islanders, seems the B-Ns are slowly being phased out in favour of newer planes with less expensive maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

e.pilot posted:

Lol they took the profile private