Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah its good for people who dont want that stuff, but if ur going in expecting that.... ahh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Barudak posted:

Yeah, thats why I ended up pleasantly surprised and liking it

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I don't have any intention of playing it, but it looks by far the most appealing of the non-core SMT games.

SMT5 info one day, I'm sure.

Other than DDS and Raidou.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I played some of FE# on Wii U and was excited to get the port on Switch but I feel like I want to support the homies at Platinum and haven't given Vanquish much of a play so I think I'm leaning towards that

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello, I stumbled across this book expansion for the official my little pony tabletop rpg.

Really I just want to show everyone that fish.

Look at that loving fish.

Look at it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zushio posted:

I don't have any intention of playing it, but it looks by far the most appealing of the non-core SMT games.

SMT5 info one day, I'm sure.

Other than DDS and Raidou.

if you like the core smt games and dds and raidou you probably wont like tms, its more stripped back than persona. the setting and everything is fine but the weakness system for it is extremely broken and there is 0 collecting/fusing/whatever else, theres just some pretty much linear paths that you have to back out to a room to do because smt, but operate much closer to just a regular levelling system which makes the jumping back and forth just to get your next level of unlocks annoying.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

As someone who loves both SMT and Fire Emblem, I think #FE is really really boring and doesn't do a good job of incorporating material from either of its inspirations. The constant backtracking in and out of dungeons to get your upgrades is also incredibly annoying and drags exploring out significantly. I got my WiiU out and started it back up but I didn't even beat the second dungeon this time around before getting bored and dropping it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

As someone who loves both SMT and Fire Emblem, I think #FE is really really boring and doesn't do a good job of incorporating material from either of its inspirations. The constant backtracking in and out of dungeons to get your upgrades is also incredibly annoying and drags exploring out significantly. I got my WiiU out and started it back up but I didn't even beat the second dungeon this time around before getting bored and dropping it.

its a shame because the characters are good, the setting is fun. if it had just a bit more smt, just having some form of fusion or skill collecting or anything that was more freeform, and a slight bump to hard difficulty, i probably wouldve been happy enough to play through the whole thing. i like the idea of how the game handles weaknesses but in execution its so ridiculously powerful it loses the challenge even something like persona has, and it doesnt have the collecting and customising stuff from that to help it along.

edit: also probably didnt help and is my own fault, but in my head i had assumed smt x fe ok so im collecting fe's right and using them like demons or something and i still really dont understand why that isnt what it is

Stux fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 25, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Either that or just cut ties with both series entirely because the expectations of both of the series do nothing but lead to disappointment. If anything, the game reminded me much more of Cyber Sleuth than SMT

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Looper posted:

what are you expecting to see?

they hardly sell games outside of pre-orders anymore and employees are forced to never leave you alone or they get written up for not meeting quotas mandated by out of touch executives

I mean I just go in for pre-orders and if I need quick cash on a game I have sitting around so :v:

Iunno, just never really seemed like the workers there are stressed and haven't really been harassed about subscribing or anything like that at mine so it just seems very normal for a game store. Hearing 'it's going to die any day now' just comes off as strange to me with how 'normal' things are.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
EA announced it's pulling out of GDC so they won't be doing any of their patented "well we just spent more money than any one person in this room right now will ever see on their life developing it" talks

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Was cyber sleuth good?

Would a person mostly unfamiliar with digimon get any enjoyment out of it or is it something that is pretty much just for digimon fans?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

SeXReX posted:

EA announced it's pulling out of GDC so they won't be doing any of their patented "well we just spent more money than any one person in this room right now will ever see on their life developing it" talks

Also Capcom and Square-Enix are nixing their PAX East events.

Aside from NOA showing off Animal Crossing with just a big demo area no panels or anything I don't exactly know what companies are showing up at PAX this weekend.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

:same:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

dont go into #fe expecting it to be very fire emblem, all that stuff is extremely cut back on the gameplay side

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

Was cyber sleuth good?

Would a person mostly unfamiliar with digimon get any enjoyment out of it or is it something that is pretty much just for digimon fans?

So despite an incredibly long lifespan, there's basically no Digimon "canon" to worry about in terms of not knowing what's going on. My biggest hesitation for a recommendation is that it's maybe one of the most poorly balanced RPGs Ive played in my whole life and if you're not super into JRPGs and grinding and stuff like that, the story and extraneous components won't keep you sucked in because the game's translation is also so bad that at times sentences are totally incomprehensible. Normal is significantly less bad though, so for a casual romp through the series, it might be an alright time. I'd honestly recommend you play Digimon World 3 on an emulator instead though, and if you like that maybe come back to Cyber Sleuth

to summarize, Cyber Sleuth is an objectively bad game but some parts of it are fun enough that I was willing to spend enough time to beat it.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 25, 2020

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
At this point the ESA could just cancel the E3 Expo itself this June instead of having whatever they're trying to do that got Geoff to drop them blow up in their faces.

Especially since their plans seem to revolve around "Gamers and Influencers from around the world congregate HERE at our expo!!" so it seems like they want to be...a worse version of PAX and Gamescom.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So despite an incredibly long lifespan, there's basically no Digimon "canon" to worry about in terms of not knowing what's going on. My biggest hesitation for a recommendation is that it's maybe one of the most poorly balanced RPGs Ive played in my whole life and if you're not super into JRPGs and grinding and stuff like that, the story and extraneous components won't keep you sucked in because the game's translation is also so bad that at times sentences are totally incomprehensible. Normal is significantly less bad though, so for a casual romp through the series, it might be an alright time. I'd honestly recommend you play Digimon World 3 on an emulator instead though, and if you like that maybe come back to Cyber Sleuth

to summarize, Cyber Sleuth is an objectively bad game but some parts of it are fun enough that I was willing to spend enough time to beat it.

Does that apply for the complete edition too?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1042550/Digimon_Story_Cyber_Sleuth_Complete_Edition/

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Especially since their plans seem to revolve around "Gamers and Influencers from around the world congregate HERE at our expo!!" so it seems like they want to be...a worse version of PAX and Gamescom.

This is basically exactly what they're trying to be. They want to do that thing where they got Snoop Dog and the high school musical guy to smoke weed and play Battlefield, except on a bigger scale. The hilarious buzz word they've been touting in all their industry pitches to companies they're begging to participate is "activations," as in how many times people interact with a brand

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So to be clear, I played on Hard, which just straight-up multiplies enemy stats by 2. There were times when, if I had a party who couldn't use speed buffs or lower enemy speed, it was impossible to win fights. Bosses would start going four times in a row and would continually speed boost themselves until they would go 30 times in a row. Also, certain enemies have a tons of defense which also gets multiplied, so if you don't have a Digimon with a defense-piercing skill you're hosed. Which Digimon have those skills? Guess you better look at a FAQ! Like I said, Normal mode is better, but this game is janky as gently caress. And the complete edition translation isn't touched at all, so that will always be an issue. Knowing more things about Digimon won't actually help you though because all this game's mechanics are unique to it - there's no insider Digimon info that would let you know which ones have defense-piercing moves or whatever. In that sense, the game is kind of lame because it focuses very heavily around which Digimon are objectively good because you NEED good Digimon, as opposed to something like Digimon World Re:Digitize where you can kind of just roll with whatever you've got and that surprise of not knowing exactly which Digimon you'll get is part of the fun.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dischorr_N posted:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is brilliant. Lara the world-famous archaeologist is more than happy to break down walls and murals and destroy entire tombs to get some silver trinkets, that's old news and a game about cleaning pottery shards with toothbrushes sounds boring. But she's also more than happy to rob an entire village blind to restock her inventory. Why not, let's go ahead and take that skin being dried on a rack in someone's hut, I'm sure they're not using it.

She could, I suppose, use all those carefully placed hiding walls and extra paths to sneak around and kill cultists quietly one by one (or maybe just go by and not kill people?) - or, well, they have bows and arrows and she has an assault rifle, so that sounds easier. At least death cults are always a safe choice for being killed.

I'm not sure what else I was expecting, really.
I mean, she's a tomb raider, not an archaeologist. She breaks poo poo and steals stuff and murders dudes who get in her way. Raiders are not very nice people.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The United States posted:

I mean, she's a tomb raider, not an archaeologist. She breaks poo poo and steals stuff and murders dudes who get in her way. Raiders are not very nice people.

This is something I liked about the new series. In the first game Lara occasionally talks about the wonderful ancient history of the island as you wander (and murder) through its setpieces, but by the time of Shadow she really couldn't care less anymore. "Rise of the Tomb Raider" was literally that: The rise of the tomb raider within Lara Croft and the sinking of the person she used to be before the first game's events.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Social media influencers are the absolute worst pieces of poo poo on the planet so my interest in E3 shriveled up real quick when they announced they'd be leaning into that.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
OTOH it would be perfectly fine if a bunch of social media influencers caught the corona virus by attending E3 even when several larger organizations are smart enough to avoid it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Social Media Influencer is like being in a MLM scheme except you don't even get paid for being at the bottom of the pyramid lol

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

You can also do poo poo like taking 3 Diaboromons minmaxed for speed into PVP and laugh as every normal attack you throw out has a 30% chance of just instantly killing someone, so I love Cyber Sleuth even if it gets confused and obsesses over a Bakemon every now and then.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If only there was some way to announce your upcoming games without having to hold a terrible live event at a convention center.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Social media influencers are the absolute worst pieces of poo poo on the planet so my interest in E3 shriveled up real quick when they announced they'd be leaning into that.

It's a shame E3 2020 is gonna be companies doing their own spin on the Nintendo Direct, so we won't get cringe gems like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8h-whICKo&t=22s

Loves watchin me a train-wreck

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

On the flipside loves me some wtf E3 moments, like Dan Rykert learning what pirates actually are. :allears:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GUI posted:

The Scarface game was much better than it had any right to be.

It had three things that every GTA-like should have incorporated going forward:

-on-demand vehicle delivery for anything in your garage
-a dedicated "insult bystander" button
-enemy nutsacks as targetable body parts

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I can't watch gaming expos like E3, they are just so unbearably cringy and "hello fellow kids", and they hardly ever actually reveal substantial information about anything

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNGdiTmvAj4

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (2019)
https://twitter.com/SluggoIsLit/status/1231849031464341504

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My Spider-man art print arrived and it's delightful

Print is dooooope.

CJacobs posted:

I can't watch gaming expos like E3, they are just so unbearably cringy and "hello fellow kids", and they hardly ever actually reveal substantial information about anything

Nintendo E3 Directs are a yearly ray of sunshine, and I can't wait to see what this years brings because like.. everythings out. Maybe we'll see Metroid Prime 4 this year :nyoron:

E3 is good for seeing how full of poo poo some developers are. Like EA came out and TALKED about Anthem for like 30 goddamn minutes before actually showing ANY footage, which was great because you knew the game was going to be garbage if all they could do was talk about how great their game was going to be
(Show don't tell)

Hoping we see a bunch of PS5 info soon, seeing how Sony aren't doing E3 this year.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1231376300708892672?s=20

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Give me a release date Atlus, I'm probably not going to play through all of P5 again but I will play a new game even if it's a weird musou thing
https://twitter.com/anity_pya/status/1231617350002073600

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Legit cannot understand why Persona 5 Royale wasn't announced for the Switch, I've been holding off purchasing it on the outside hope it will.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
https://twitter.com/IndieAlpaca/status/1232041915970969601?s=19

Rude to everyone who isn't going to pax

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

man gently caress that boss

that bastard was the last one i fought before quitting the game; got a decent ways into the next area and then just never finished it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
if it helps i think you got to all the good parts then