Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DapperDon posted:

FREE AGONY AUNT! NO LIES WERE TOLD IN THIS POST!

Must admit, was completely bamboozled by that. I was scratching my old nogging over the probation there.

Maybe the moderator misread something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

What's up? Get out of bed on the wrong side?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Songbearer posted:

Do we have any good video compliations of hilarious bugs and glitches, old and new? I just can't get enough of of watching this gaming pratfall

:pgabz: Dancey Cat's whole youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc-3D3ojGZ2EC_Bk8MRgcFQ

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWeTw2DXfUE

edit: holy poo poo, that video is 4 years old :aaaaa:

Quavers fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 25, 2020

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

Must admit, was completely bamboozled by that. I was scratching my old nogging over the probation there.

Maybe the moderator misread something.

It was the use of the r word pretty sure. It’s an ableist slur and definitely should fade from casual usage.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some fun reads over on the SC sub.

From the highly upvoted give gameplay one, i like this quote:

> People have funded this game into the ground.

A citizen isn't happy with the calls for CIG to focus on adding gameplay.

Stop it with the “make gameplay not ships”

Apparently this because CIG have already explained why they can pump out ships but not gameplay or something. This apparently means people are wrong for wanting gameplay.

Also replies with people thinking the complaints come because people think the whole team is working on ships. No you derps, people don't think the whole of CIG is working on ships, but they certainly don't appear to be working on gameplay either.

GOONFEAR in a thread about getting new moderators for the sub!

quote:

Back in 2015 around July there was a massive split in the community - CIG was going through a soft reboot of the game and it's production people were being laid off or quitting - Derek was stoking fires everywhere and you had some really active SA-Goons enjoying the fallout.

There are now nearly 5 year old sockpuppets on Reddit that can easily be resurrected for applications to moderate this subreddit. back in I want to say 2017 there were efforts to get the moderation team to change or allow vocal critics to be a part of the moderation team for balance and fairness.

Don't get me wrong I know maintaining a sockpuppet for several years just to get into a position of power is actually insane - but then you read stories of people in EVE online who spent years playing a long con just to destroy a guild. So that level of insanity exists and I wouldn't put it beyond the ream of possibility that in the millions of people around the world who followed Star Citizen's development either as a backer or as a critic there would absolutely be at least 1 person insane enough to do it in their spare time.

Yes indeed, our time is nigh! Time to reactivate all our discarded alts to apply for SC sub moderator positions! Once in power we will bend the sub to our will! Muhwahahahaha!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Goons are already on the mod team tho

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Super-Id posted:

It was the use of the r word pretty sure. It’s an ableist slur and definitely should fade from casual usage.

The word retarded isn't allowed on the SA forums? As long as it isn't directed at another user i can't see anything in the rules that would suggest that. Furthermore, i said that nobody could be that retarded.

Now, while maybe you have a point, i mean, where do we draw the line. If retarded isn't allowed, can we say dumb? Isn't that a slight against people who are disabled and can't speak? What about stupid? Isn't that a slight against people with low intelligence, through no fault of their own?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

Goons are already on the mod team tho

Ssshhhhh!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
There aren't explicit rules about words on SA, a lot of it comes down to context. The rule of thumb is don't be an rear end and don't use slurs, the r word is a slur even if it used to be something people said all the time.

If you wouldn't say it to someone in person that's a pretty good starting point. SA for all it's sordid past has for a lack of a better term "matured" in recent years at least in aspects regarding language use and it's a better place for it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

By and large the forums have been moving away from the r word and a bunch of other stuff that used to get posted all the time, yeah. The running rule used to be that you take your chances posting slurs - you might get by if it's funny, but if it's not you might get smacked - but it's been becoming less acceptable for a while.

I have faith in all of your abilities to come up with funny new ways to insult people though.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

The word retarded isn't allowed on the SA forums? As long as it isn't directed at another user i can't see anything in the rules that would suggest that. Furthermore, i said that nobody could be that retarded.

Now, while maybe you have a point, i mean, where do we draw the line. If retarded isn't allowed, can we say dumb? Isn't that a slight against people who are disabled and can't speak? What about stupid? Isn't that a slight against people with low intelligence, through no fault of their own?

Popete said it best. And really, retarded people aren't necessarily stupid at all, they just have a thing, so it's not fair to lump them in with backers. What we're seeing with Star Citizen is a complex combination of mental malfunctions that dip into stupidity on one side of the spectrum, but on the other side you see things like sunk cost fallacy, which isn't stupidity but a deadly combination of weakness and ego.

I get it that sometimes when we see people acting like this, the words we used to use, and felt apt, are being nixed, and we're running out of descriptive terms. But we can always create new ones. It's a weird time - I'm not sure myself what term to use to describe people who live with a non-stop barrage of cognitive misfires. I know people, otherwise intelligent, who follow some kind of script from nowhere concerning certain topics and lead themselves right off a cliff. I think the central conceit all these people have in common is the belief that they're too intelligent to be wrong.

Archaic terms for people like that were colorful things like "too clever by half" and such. So I guess we've had people like this forever really.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

Retarded originated as a clinical term about people with certain mental disabilities. I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily the same as using the word gay as a pejorative, but it comes close. Basically, do not use groups of people who are already othered in a way which further indicates them as something weird or undesirable.

You are right that dumb also had clinical origins, but I can’t ever recall anyone (in recent history) using it in a mocking way which ever referenced being unable to speak. I can definitely recall the word retarded being used along with hand gestures and mocking speech in a way which clearly mocked people with actual disabilities. I realize you didn’t do that or intend to, but also you could have picked lots of other words which would have worked fine and not continued the use of a word as a pejorative which others a group of people with a disability.

Anyway, I’m not trying to police anything, I leave that to the mods. But I do personally feel there is a difference between that word and dumb or stupid, and I do think we owe it to people who are different through no fault of their own to try and be inclusive and not other them.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Seemed appropriate for this thread.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

By and large the forums have been moving away from the r word and a bunch of other stuff that used to get posted all the time, yeah. The running rule used to be that you take your chances posting slurs - you might get by if it's funny, but if it's not you might get smacked - but it's been becoming less acceptable for a while.

I have faith in all of your abilities to come up with funny new ways to insult people though.

Chris Roberts is a poopiehead

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well dayum.

Ok, let me rephrase then.

I don't believe even the most ardent backers could be that gloopixie!

You know, its missing a certain something.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

Chris Roberts is a poopiehead

Please do not insult people with poop on their heads by comparing them to Chris Roberts.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Agony Aunt posted:

Well dayum.

Ok, let me rephrase then.

I don't believe even the most ardent backers could be that gloopixie!

You know, its missing a certain something.

I use SBS (Smooth Brain Syndrome) as my term of derision over the immense stupidity of backers.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

monkeytek posted:

I use SBS (Smooth Brain Syndrome) as my term of derision over the immense stupidity of backers.

People on here also are not happy with the term smooth brain either :shrug:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Agony Aunt posted:

Some fun reads over on the SC sub.

From the highly upvoted give gameplay one, i like this quote:

> People have funded this game into the ground.

A citizen isn't happy with the calls for CIG to focus on adding gameplay.

Stop it with the “make gameplay not ships”

Apparently this because CIG have already explained why they can pump out ships but not gameplay or something. This apparently means people are wrong for wanting gameplay.

Also replies with people thinking the complaints come because people think the whole team is working on ships. No you derps, people don't think the whole of CIG is working on ships, but they certainly don't appear to be working on gameplay either.

GOONFEAR in a thread about getting new moderators for the sub!

Yes indeed, our time is nigh! Time to reactivate all our discarded alts to apply for SC sub moderator positions! Once in power we will bend the sub to our will! Muhwahahahaha!

Star Citizen: People have funded this game into the ground

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Can we still gang up on coprophiles, or is that poo poo talking?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
People with actual cognitive disabilities would not be likely to be gullible enough to spend thousands on jpgs and think it was a game. That is the wheelhouse of cognitively average (or slightly below average) people who think they’re waaaay smarter than they are. Buffoons. Nincompoops. Dunderheads. Chumps. Suckers.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Popete posted:

Please do not insult people with poop on their heads by comparing them to Chris Roberts.

Thank you for defending my honour.

As a person with poop on my head, I already feel picked on by others without having to be likend to Chris Roberts.

I may look weird and smell but these are my beliefs. I in no way intend to get other people to give me their money base on a promise, that I am incapable of keeping and prepared to absolve myself of, while enriching myself, my family and close friends.

I have poop on my head, I also have respect.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

Look at you, trying to figure out the logic in the lowtax-needs-a-spinotron. Just don't post bad posts.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MarcusSA posted:

Ah really? That's one of my favorites. That's a bummer. I mean I can see why they'd be mad about it, but I like to think it's abstract enough to pass the smell test.

I am frequently wrong, though.

Hav posted:

No that's a... it's different.

:thejoke:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hav posted:

Well, taking into account that SA created a legion of them it's the least we could do.

:metis:

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
I like Scruffy's term: brainworms. An acute space brainworm infection is a clinical diagnosis, is factually accurate as applied to cultists, and is all the more hilarious because it is self-inflicted. Fun science fact: the brainworms look like tiny sandworms!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Brainworms is good. I'm also fond of "holes in your brain so big you could park a zeppelin in"

That one may or may not be problematic depending on whether you clarify that the holes were chewed by the brainworms, idk

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

These backers are complete mung beans.

I have seen higher mental functions in most lemons.

I refuse to accept that some one who is capable of using a keyboard could be so corn crobbled they think this is normal. This cannot be a natural phenomena.

I must conclude CIGs primary product is "tier 0" chat bots.

You can hire one of CIG's shell companies to generate a horde of loyal bots that will support your product even if it's bad or you dont have one.

Star citizen is just an add for this service.

It's just dawned on me I know nothing about bot development....

Oh god I am the lemon?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

DigitalPenny posted:

corncrobbled

mother of god, it's beautiful

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

DigitalPenny posted:

I refuse to accept that some one who is capable of using a keyboard could be so corncrobbled they think this is normal. This cannot be a natural phenomena.
:five::discourse:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Regrettable posted:

Seemed appropriate for this thread.

chris roberts should have watched this. he thought that in zero gravity you move by doing swimming motions iirc.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Donkey brains

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Boy remember how the old gang of original Devs were just so golly gee good. They tried to Croberts their own game and failed hard. Tried to blame the Publisher was so evil and bad and keeping their game from releasing. Publisher reveals Little Orbit is full of baby crobears trying to rob them. Good times. I’m sure Star Citizen will NOT go this way at all.

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-messy-legal-dispute-puts-the-descent-reboot-in-peril/

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 25, 2020

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

That sounds like it's no joke.

No joke, but still pretty amusing

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

MarcusSA posted:

This made me Google it to learn the etymology, and, huh. I had no idea there was an actual medical condition that gives you a smooth brain.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lobsterminator posted:

Well, technically the whole universe is underwater in SC.

I wouldn't be surprised if CIG's financials are also underwater

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

Agony Aunt posted:

Context matters. Audience matters. Paywalls matter.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

The Super-Id posted:

I am the impertinent dead comedy forum that's now oversensitive about "ableist" terms.

I am SA in 2020.

How long until we trash-bin this very thread for hurting the valid feelings of citizens?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
I feel wronged just being here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

People grow, forums grow, we're mostly in our 30s and not teenagers anymore. There are plenty of things you can call citizens that dont involve disparaging other people.