Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hodgepodge posted:

addiction is a consequence of our brain's reward function, which is activated by important rewards such as success and power, and especially money. gambling is well recognized as addictive, and our economy is currently organized as a form of gambling for the elite

so you're basically barely even making an analogy here. we've successfully transitioned to an aristocracy of gambling addicts

Didn't a fuckload of the actual aristocracy lose all their money in gambling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

hell yeah, whist and horses. the original equalizers

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

JudgeX posted:

i'm less disagreeing with you and more trying to on that the alienation of the classes from one another IS a good sign it's not enough, only organization will destroy class hegemony

i think it itself creates the room needed for organization. people will accept and even defend a system which is working, even at their own overall expense.

i recently learned that even the bible of all things has a part where israel keeps asking god to appoint a king and god keeps trying to explain that kings are awful. in an analogy with idolatry (a sin which carried the death penalty) israel wants one because other nations have them, and they're very effective at amassing and deploying military power.

people will demand to be exploited if they believe it facilitates the overall survival of the system, even if god tries to tell them it's a bad idea

but they will come together and try to figure out what is wrong with a system which is obviously malfunctioning. changing or replacing it become undenial necessities for more and more people and organization becomes something people actively seek out.

okay i think i started fantasizing there but you get the idea

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't a fuckload of the actual aristocracy lose all their money in gambling

yeah, it' a common feature of most aristocracies

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Isn't that why most wealthy families leave their inheritance to their offspring through trusts.

Not just for the tax avoidance benefits, but also prevents a degenerate child wasting the accumulated wealth through gambling or other excessive vices.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
That and plenty of them like to be controlling assholes even in death

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

lancemantis posted:

That and plenty of them like to be controlling assholes even in death

Very much this and putting all assets in a trust lets people effectively disown one or more of their children even in jurisdictions where the law doesn't allow for it.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

years ago I found the c-spammiest milk crates in an alley and took them (not my picture, but the ones I have are identical)

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

:eyepop:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Did the book or the farm come first? This is important.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Marenghi posted:

https://twitter.com/ichhdublin/status/1231386516888465410?s=21

95% of new built apartments last year in Ireland were bought by investment funds.

Our neoliberal government encouraged this market led housing solution by giving the same investment funds 100% tax breaks on rental income from newly constructed residential properties.

And yet hundreds of them are unoccupied, some high profile luxury developments not even 50% occupied. They aren’t affordable due to being rented at amounts that would cost the entire salary of a single person on the average wage of a full time worker.

New Zealand recently had two high profile reports released that suggested our housing crisis was driven by investors and cheaply available credit, both recommending a capital gains tax on residential housing (NZ has no CGT at all) among other things like income:debt caps. But holy poo poo you could hear the screams of rage and fear rising up from around the country when the news broke of these reports.

Apparently they are ignorant and our housing issue is just a problem of supply. Never mind that there are 40,000 empty houses in Auckland, or that only 30% of homeowners in NZ only own a single home, and the other 70% of houses are owned by people who own multiple houses.

It drives me insane but there's literally nothing that can be done about it because any government that even HINTS at disrupting this system will be totally unable to win an election. Our current PM dropped almost 10% in polls before the last election because she wouldn't rule out a CGT on house sales other than the primary dwelling. She eventually had to firmly rule out any CGT, and went on to only narrowly win the election.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Inceltown posted:

Did the book or the farm come first? This is important.

lol the farm's been around since the 30s-

looking around on google, most of their crates say "Turner Dairy Farms" so I'm guessing this got slipped in by someone for a while before the higher-ups got embarrassed by it

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Peanut Butler posted:

years ago I found the c-spammiest milk crates in an alley and took them (not my picture, but the ones I have are identical)

Lmao

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

bike tory posted:

New Zealand recently had two high profile reports released that suggested our housing crisis was driven by investors and cheaply available credit, both recommending a capital gains tax on residential housing (NZ has no CGT at all) among other things like income:debt caps. But holy poo poo you could hear the screams of rage and fear rising up from around the country when the news broke of these reports.

Apparently they are ignorant and our housing issue is just a problem of supply. Never mind that there are 40,000 empty houses in Auckland, or that only 30% of homeowners in NZ only own a single home, and the other 70% of houses are owned by people who own multiple houses.

It drives me insane but there's literally nothing that can be done about it because any government that even HINTS at disrupting this system will be totally unable to win an election. Our current PM dropped almost 10% in polls before the last election because she wouldn't rule out a CGT on house sales other than the primary dwelling. She eventually had to firmly rule out any CGT, and went on to only narrowly win the election.

Interesting, would you have the links to those reports?

I haven't looked into the New Zealand housing crisis before but it sounds very similar to ours. So many people living in overcrowded accommodation paying amounts that used to get your own apartment. People living in cars and vans. People homeless being homed in hotels and B&B's at taxpayer expense, costing many times over what it would cost to build social housing and house the people directly.

New Zealand has been brought up in discussions over our housing crisis, mostly by pro-government free market types who point to it as another failure of regulation. That if they, and we got rid of building regulations the market would supply enough homes for us all to be back paying less than half our income on rent. I'm guessing they were talking shite as it sounds like NZ is another Neo-liberal hole.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The past two pages were great. Two questions:
Burger King as a brand seems to have been flailing around these past few years. Does anyone know why?

and

Can someone confirm that the last mayor of Vancouver ran out on his wife with a Chinese starlet and gave her Oligarch father giant real estate deals? What the Hell is going on in municipal or provincial politics out there?

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Frosted Flake posted:

Burger King as a brand seems to have been flailing around these past few years. Does anyone know why?

30yr old ceo, dumbass gently caress (no idea about actual intelligence, just guessing)

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't know if anyone knows if he was drinking during the experiment but he admitted to a serious drinking problem. Going cold turkey for a month could explain some of his issues and the alcohol is a far better answer as to why he had the liver of an alcoholic than McDonald's.

Oh he was totally drinking while filming. IIRC his doctors begged him to stop eating McDonald's because his liver enzymes were that of a "heavy drinker" :ironicat:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Marenghi posted:

Interesting, would you have the links to those reports?

I haven't looked into the New Zealand housing crisis before but it sounds very similar to ours. So many people living in overcrowded accommodation paying amounts that used to get your own apartment. People living in cars and vans. People homeless being homed in hotels and B&B's at taxpayer expense, costing many times over what it would cost to build social housing and house the people directly.

New Zealand has been brought up in discussions over our housing crisis, mostly by pro-government free market types who point to it as another failure of regulation. That if they, and we got rid of building regulations the market would supply enough homes for us all to be back paying less than half our income on rent. I'm guessing they were talking shite as it sounds like NZ is another Neo-liberal hole.

UN Special Rapporteur on Housing: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/409900/un-special-rapporteur-calls-on-nz-for-bold-human-rights-approach-to-housing-crisis

Much more detailed report: https://helenclark.foundation/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/somewhere-to-live_the-helen-clark-foundation-min.pdf

NZ is very neolib, we were like a testing ground for lovely neoliberal ideas in the early 90s. In housing it meant basically removing all regulation, which lead to a whole bunch of incredibly cheap and poorly designed construction, most of which now has terrible issues with water ingress and weather tightness now. Basically no one wants to buy houses built between like 1995 and 2005 because you might end up with $150000 worth of work needed to keep the place from rotting away around you.

The current government got elected on a platform of building 100,000 "affordable" houses over 10 years (for a population just under 5 mil, that's a lot), but tried to do it in the most ridiculously Third Way possible by offering private developers guaranteed loans and fast-tracked consents and poo poo if they'd agree to sell some of the homes below market rates. This is at a time with record low interest rates and record high returns on property. Unsurprisingly the scheme ended up building like... 20 houses, total, before the government admitted it was a failure and scrapped it. The government also commissioned a big review of our tax system and one of the primary recommendations was a capital gains tax (which has been the recommendation of every group to review our tax system in the last 30 years), but the govt won't do that.

So yeah our centre-left government seems to have given up on any meaningful changes to the housing market because when they try, their polling numbers loving tank and our PM is apparently very risk-averse. Meanwhile the Right in NZ is typically obsessed with helping out the developers by slashing red tape as if they've forgotten what that resulted in only like 20 years ago. They bang on about housing supply being the only problem for obvious reasons, and complain about anything that prevents people from building houses (like pesky zoning laws that stop developers from doing things like draining our few remaining wetlands, or from buying up some of the most fertile land in the country to continue with massive cut+paste 1-storey suburban sprawl an hour's drive from the city centre). Meanwhile the Left has been looking at slightly more realistic solutions, there was a big battle won recently in Auckland over height restrictions that got rid of a near city-wide ban on anything over two storeys. So there are certainly some problems with red tape, but at this point they're mostly bureaucratic and at a local govt level - it can take months for local councils to turn around building consents or to complete final inspections, for example.

About the only thing our govt HAS been doing well is building state housing at the highest rate in like 60 years. Although this is after the previous government did a massive sell-off of state housing and our former PM came right out and said he didn't think the state had any role in housing people. Unfortunately the wait list for state housing is like 15,000 people and growing, so they're playing an impossible game of catch up there. They've also introduced some minimum standards for rental properties (very common sense poo poo like full insulation, fixed heating in the main living area, thermal curtains or double glazed windows, an window in every bedroom equal in size to a minimum of 5% of the floor area and that opens to the outside, etc etc).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Frosted Flake posted:

Can someone confirm that the last mayor of Vancouver ran out on his wife with a Chinese starlet and gave her Oligarch father giant real estate deals? What the Hell is going on in municipal or provincial politics out there?

Yep, incredibly handsome mayor ran on progressive policies and promised to end homelessness etc but all he did was sell the city to China/developers and add a bunch of bike lanes in a city that's cold, rainy and mountainous.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

rump buttman posted:

30yr old ceo, dumbass gently caress (no idea about actual intelligence, just guessing)

Frosted Flake posted:

and

BK seems like an aimless company. New sandwiches every few months tell me they don’t have solid sales and are trying to drum up business with gimmicks. They’re getting clobbered in the LA market at least because I’ve known of like 4 that got sold to Starbucks.

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba

skooma512 posted:

BK seems like an aimless company. New sandwiches every few months tell me they don’t have solid sales and are trying to drum up business with gimmicks. They’re getting clobbered in the LA market at least because I’ve known of like 4 that got sold to Starbucks.

which is too bad that spicy chikkie jr is dope

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

daughter's hospital bill came to 26k which through some miracle of not getting hosed over for once is only going to cost us $350 out of pocket

in sum:

ambulance ride: $1300 of which we are on the hook for $700 but the school district is covering that since they called the ambulance, not us
1 night hospital stay including a CT scan, MRI, a shot of sedative, an overnight EEG study and consult with neuro, some other small tests, 2 meals, a visit from mickey mouse and a dog: $26,000 of which we are on the hook for $350

i can't loving believe our luck

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
when we formed babby most recently they dragged me down to the intake office to settle the bill immediately on the day we were released

"just bill us" was most emphatically not an option, they wanted cash on the barrel for that copay

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

skooma512 posted:

my local BK is a place where after they close the inside part, you can roll up to the drive thru and have about a 50% chance of someone taking your order

the letterboard by the sign is advertising a meal special 1/3rd of the time, looking for managers 2/3rds of the time

it's been this way for years, they did a whole thing where they tore down the old decrepit BK and built a new one, going 'hey come check out the new burger king' and it's the same

one time I sat at the drive thru speaker going 'hi?? hello????' for a few minutes before someone came on and said 'uh, yeah, uh- system's down.' and I went 'oh cool, have a good one' and meant it, hell yeah smoke in the walk-in all shift and get paid for it

i'm guessing, from this anecdotal experience, that a huge problem is that they let franchisees treat workers like hot lovely garbage instead of other places that walk the thin line of just treating them like regular garbage

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1232051743938224132

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

help i think im havign a strok

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Interesting avoidance of name of the buyer, Intuit

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Well gently caress

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
if you want an image of the american populace, imagine goatse.jpg, forever

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
as a tax accountant lol at you if you can’t fill out forms that the government already has all the answers to and could do for you with almost no effort

pro tip: if you just don’t file your taxes the government will do it for you for a small convenience fee.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
But I've been doing for zero fee using Credit Karma. They already have all my financial information so I'm not giving up any new data. gently caress Intuit, though.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like that since the trump tax cuts I can't use turbo tax's free version anymore because stuff like student loan interest isn't part of the standard form anymore.

Also my and everyone I know's taxes went up an enormous amount. Thanks for the tax cut!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Sounds like you're tired of winning.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Sounds like you're poor.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Have you tried not being poor?

I just didn't claim my student loan interest deduction because the savings was far less than the TurboTax prep cost for the non-free version.

I still got hosed, but in the manner of my choosing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I can't even remember the last time I've actually had to "do taxes" but then I live in 2020 and not 1970 like America.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
edit: nm trump must've got rid of it :sad:

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 14:54 on Feb 25, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Peanut President posted:

edit: nm trump must've got rid of it :sad:

I assume you posted about the 1040EZ, Trump got rid of it because of course he did. Remember Republicans love to make taxes more difficult and obfuscated so that you hate the IRS and want to elect more republicans to dismantle it.

I have no real complications, just income, so the 1040EZ was just what I did, but because it went away last year, I had to fill out the new 1040, and somehow hosed it up and thought I owed ~$2000, instead of ~$200 (because he also hosed around with deductions for reasons, the year before I owed $13). The IRS did refund me my over-payment a couple months later, with interest, which I now get to report on this year's taxes :negative:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I assume you posted about the 1040EZ, Trump got rid of it because of course he did. Remember Republicans love to make taxes more difficult and obfuscated so that you hate the IRS and want to elect more republicans to dismantle it.

I have no real complications, just income, so the 1040EZ was just what I did, but because it went away last year, I had to fill out the new 1040, and somehow hosed it up and thought I owed ~$2000, instead of ~$200 (because he also hosed around with deductions for reasons, the year before I owed $13). The IRS did refund me my over-payment a couple months later, with interest, which I now get to report on this year's taxes :negative:

I'm sorry I think you mean republicans love to make taxes easier, look at how small the form is now! Please ignore all the other forms you have to include too, look at the main form, so small!! How could this possibly be easier?

What do you mean "the IRS has repeatedly proposed to not even have people file taxes because they already have all the data and it's pointless for 95% of people but congress prevented them from doing it", that sounds like socialism to me comrade :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

I like that since the trump tax cuts I can't use turbo tax's free version anymore because stuff like student loan interest isn't part of the standard form anymore.

Also my and everyone I know's taxes went up an enormous amount. Thanks for the tax cut!

did they go up or is it more that they completely screwed up withholding to both maximize peoples anger with taxes and give the appearance of a tax cut?