Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

They better not take my inverse power curve from me, becoming all powerful and stomping the aliens is my reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah it owns

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I want even more modding tools and options

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have an alien panic meter that goes up the better you perform. Instead of it being a victory/loss condition, it’s a gauge of how willing the aliens are to go “gently caress!!!” and disregard collateral damage. Unlock abilities for them like calling in danger close artillery on a 1-turn delay or hot-dropping pods from orbit full of crazed shock troops that can’t tell friend from foe. Something that increases the difficulty while also making it feel like you’re a badass that has them fretting.

:agreed: more devs should take a lesson on interesting enemy dynamics from AI War:Fleet Command

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

If you are going to gently caress over the player you need to make sure they know exactly how and why

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I haven't played XCom 2 since vanilla release (sank a lot of hours into it) but I'm needing a fix and have some time to kill before animal crossing comes out in a month so I took advantage of the steam sale and purchased all of the DLC for it to give it another go round.

I just went through the OP and from what I gather, the recommended play through is War of the Chosen, but with the Alien Hunters DLC un-installed? Is that right? I plan to also use the bronze-man mode as well. Hope to start my playthrough tonight, so thanks in advance for the help!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

That’s generally correct. And you have to actually uninstall the DLC, not just turn it off in game. Otherwise they’re in there just in a different mode.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I haven't played XCom 2 since vanilla release (sank a lot of hours into it) but I'm needing a fix and have some time to kill before animal crossing comes out in a month so I took advantage of the steam sale and purchased all of the DLC for it to give it another go round.

I just went through the OP and from what I gather, the recommended play through is War of the Chosen, but with the Alien Hunters DLC un-installed? Is that right? I plan to also use the bronze-man mode as well. Hope to start my playthrough tonight, so thanks in advance for the help!

War of the Chosen for sure, and then you can't really go wrong. If you haven't played the Alien Hunters DLC before, I'd suggest enabling it. Same with the Shen's Gift DLC and Lost and Abandoned. The reason being that when they are enabled you play the special missions that are associated with each of them. And they're fun missions that are worth playing, especially the first time you're being introduced to their mechanics. On subsequent playthroughs I disable them because I already know how they're going to play out, I prefer the variability, and the game is probably better-balanced without them.

Getting rid of Alien Hunters altogether seems unnecessary to me. They're certainly a different feel from the other enemies, but that's sort of the point. I'm glad there's only three, but by the time you're fighting them you're already well on your way to beating the game. Defeating them is mostly a matter of figuring out how they work - and they go down to a repeater the same as any alien.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 24, 2020

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

I want even more modding tools and options

absolutely

I really hope it's taking them so long to make XCom 3 because they're making more robust SDK and tools

and a more stable engine in general.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Enable Alien Hunters you cowards.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Chairchucker posted:

Enable Alien Hunters you cowards.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

NEVERS!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Anyone made the plunge on Broken Lines?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Man I'm tryin Legend for the first time and I keep running out of time on missions. It's so hard to be fast enough!

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
XCOM3 should close the hanging plot thread about Vahlen, where she is , why the commander was so important to keeping her sane and where she got the money to make the ruler aliens. Was she secretly behind EXALT? Did she interrogate all the aliens? Did she ever find enough MELD?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I will let Vahlen do whatever she wants so long as I get jumpy legs back.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Look the point here really is that we require more murderwaifu and that is not arguable

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It was a small touch in EU/EW, but after she did an interrogation an extra corpse would pop up in inventory. It's the little things that make you recoil in terror :3:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I mostly thought "oh nice, something to sell to the black market"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GDC just put up a 2018 talk on XCOM2's procedural content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jrq5rDI4dk

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

who is naming these operations

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

EU had a few better names that I remember. Ashes and Temples, Vengeful Hymn, and of course the callback Avenger.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

EU had a few better names that I remember. Ashes and Temples, Vengeful Hymn, and of course the callback Avenger.

Better than Sweaty Justice? I think not. That's some Venture Bros level name game.

Unrelated, but I just had a retaliation mission where the resistance fighters absolutely clowned on squad after squad of mutons. The fighters were nailing every shot, while the mutons kept wiffing. Even had a Berserker someone miss their melee. Unreal.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

Unrelated, but I just had a retaliation mission where the resistance fighters absolutely clowned on squad after squad of mutons. The fighters were nailing every shot, while the mutons kept wiffing. Even had a Berserker someone miss their melee. Unreal.

I love when this happens. I kinda wish there was a way to tell ahead of time if a retaliation strike mission is going to have resistance fighters in it or not, I'd like to be able to send a bunch of scrubs on those ones to just sit in cover far from any pods and let the locals deal with the problem. Even on max difficulty I don't think I've ever come close to failing a retaliation mission through too many civilian casualties.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Jamsque posted:

I love when this happens. I kinda wish there was a way to tell ahead of time if a retaliation strike mission is going to have resistance fighters in it or not, I'd like to be able to send a bunch of scrubs on those ones to just sit in cover far from any pods and let the locals deal with the problem. Even on max difficulty I don't think I've ever come close to failing a retaliation mission through too many civilian casualties.

The two retaliation missions have different labels associated with them... so you can tell ahead of time

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

did EU ever get a sanity patch to stop it throwing out Operation Crystal Night

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

did EU ever get a sanity patch to stop it throwing out Operation Crystal Night

Jesus christ, are you serious?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I enabled the Tactical Legacy soundtrack and it disabled every hairstyle except the Guile flattop

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Jesus christ, are you serious?
yup. I had it myself or I probably wouldn't believe it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

to be clear that is a randomly generated mission name so it's not like someone was so dumb as to explicitly include it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Coolguye posted:

to be clear that is a randomly generated mission name so it's not like someone was so dumb as to explicitly include it.

Yes, but they were still dumb enough to not have an intern or three scan the complete list of randomizable names for stuff like that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

that's why I specified sanity checking lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'll always enjoy Operation Hot Father the most

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Coolguye posted:

It just seems like the sort of thing that could look really bad, and is easily remedied. Like, I don't actually know much about programming videogames, but how hard could it be to patch?

Is it one or those things where a minor change could create catastrophe?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It just seems like the sort of thing that could look really bad, and is easily remedied. Like, I don't actually know much about programming videogames, but how hard could it be to patch?

This is an extraordinarily dangerous thing to say lmao

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it would probably not be a massive undertaking to remove "Crystal" from the name list but w/e

I appreciate that the flame guys' fuel tanks literally say HIT on them

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

loving lmao

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

to be clear, i am not about to start an actual conversation about this. there's a lot that goes into it and most of the variables are things we can't know since we don't work at firaxis. there's a ton of unknown unknowns. as a result, any speculation on the size of the task is going to end with a giant shrug and there will be no resolution. moralizing over how hard could it be is almost always the start of an internet nerd meltdown though, so i'd really like it if we could avoid that part of this reaction.

do note, everyone is extremely right to be uncomfortable with the operation name possibility considering the history involved.

however, it's also very far from the end of the world and like i said, practicably there's no resolution possible. i really don't want this one quirk of a now 8 year old game to be a stupid flashpoint so if you want to express shock and laughter (like Larry is, love you buddy) please feel free to make jokes about it itt until the end of time. if you'd like to express outrage and moralize about what should be done, D&D's over there and i'm positive they'll be happy to theorycraft about all the unknowns and the resulting crushing responsibilities of sin with you, also until the end of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fully same