Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

RIP. It’s a pity, especially since they already mostly used freelancers...which I guess lends weight to the sales idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

At least the Path of Waves book comes with a lot of information on how to make your own schools and such.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I didn't quite click with this system but I really wanted to. Now to decide whether to buy some of the books just in case I ever do click or not.

At least the books are pretty, probably worth half the price for the art and lore alone.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Well, for what it's worth, there are still books for the game being released.

Speaking of which, they announced a new one today

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...yeeeeeees this is a book I wanted.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
That is an extremely fantastic source book, heck yes.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mors Rattus posted:

...yeeeeeees this is a book I wanted.

:same:

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
I love that the associated pre-gen campaign is "you and your party are all dead, and you have to navigate the celestial bureaucracy."

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

SpaceViking posted:

I love that the associated pre-gen campaign is "you and your party are all dead, and you have to navigate the celestial bureaucracy."

Now you can kill your players in Mask of the Oni without guilt!

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
I assume they are just pushing out stuff that was already in the pipeline.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I just hope the Lion/warfare book that I assumed would exist gets to be something they produce before the end.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Terratina posted:

I assume they are just pushing out stuff that was already in the pipeline.

I'd love to buy all the books ( was planning to after my current d&d campaign is over) but now I really don't know what to do with the line. I think it's an amazing version and I really dig it but now...

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'd love to buy all the books ( was planning to after my current d&d campaign is over) but now I really don't know what to do with the line. I think it's an amazing version and I really dig it but now...

Barring jamming the setting into a different system, 5e is the best edition even "incomplete".

Or I'm just jaded from seeing the same builds every time in large online chat play.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Terratina posted:

Barring jamming the setting into a different system, 5e is the best edition even "incomplete".

Or I'm just jaded from seeing the same builds every time in large online chat play.

Both can be (and are) true.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Anybody have any idea how long it takes FFG to put out the pdfs of the books? I'm really looking forward to Path of Waves, but it's not on DTRPG yet.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GimpInBlack posted:

Anybody have any idea how long it takes FFG to put out the pdfs of the books? I'm really looking forward to Path of Waves, but it's not on DTRPG yet.

they do a weird super staggered thing to 'fight piracy' (as if the pdfs aren't instantly stolen anyway) so it'll be like, what, a month or two?

Also yea I agree that even with its short run and the growing pains of a new system this was easily the best L5R RPG.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

GimpInBlack posted:

Took months to get Courts of Stone in PDF form. I think it was like four months.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, I really want Path of Waves but FFG's PDF release could be anywhere from now to fuckin' Gencon.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

GimpInBlack posted:

:laffo:

I suffer from the same agony

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I got it in print and I still check drivethru daily to see if it's up yet because then I can talk about it with everyone not getting it in print.

Courts of Stone was an obnoxiously long wait.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

sexpig by night posted:

they do a weird super staggered thing to 'fight piracy' (as if the pdfs aren't instantly stolen anyway) so it'll be like, what, a month or two?

Also yea I agree that even with its short run and the growing pains of a new system this was easily the best L5R RPG.

To be fair, of all the ways to fight piracy, this is probably the most effective of a largely effective bunch? Just accept that pdfs will be stolen instantly and give a staggered release to try and push people into getting the physical copy instead.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I just hope the Lion/warfare book that I assumed would exist gets to be something they produce before the end.

Much as I would love it, it seems unlikely. I'm not sure it would've even been in pre-production by the time of the announcements.

And, for whatever it's worth, there's something fitting and kinda nice about the last book of the system being about exploring what happens after death.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

And, for whatever it's worth, there's something fitting and kinda nice about the last book of the system being about exploring what happens after death.

:gbsmith:

It was a great product line, while it lasted.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'd still go for it if you have any interest in the line. What we got it pretty good, including a make your own school framework in Path of Waves.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Apparently a recent Discord stream by FFG has stated that, quote, "RPG is not shutting down. We will have more information about that in the future." and "RPGs will continue. We have an announcement planned that will be shared soonish."

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mors Rattus posted:

Apparently a recent Discord stream by FFG has stated that, quote, "RPG is not shutting down. We will have more information about that in the future." and "RPGs will continue. We have an announcement planned that will be shared soonish."

They're probably going to use a WotC model where they have 1-2 full time employees handling the whole thing and just use a bunch of freelancers. I'm sure they were using freelancers before but I think they're just going to do it at the lowest margin.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Now I just don't know what to believe. FFG RPG isn't dead? Maybe?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Basically, believe FFG when an official announcement comes. Until then we have not got adequate information to form a full conclusion.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh hey, decided to check back in on L5R today after ignoring it for a while and I discover that the RPG line has at least one more book in it and that said book has the Moshi for 5e. Awesome.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 3, 2020

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
We're starting to get into angling for Honour rewards and the social attributes and as the Dragon I get extra rewards for Sincerity. The examples for the sacrifices for Sincerity seems to be at odds with the description. It says to speak earnestly without giving offence or compromising one's family's interests, but then the major sacrifice is jeopardising future relations and the massive sacrifice is just lying, but for your lord's benefit and I get "honesty even if it affects you negatively" for the minor and major makes sense, but I'm having trouble figuring out the reasoning for the massive one.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The lie involved in the massive sacrifice is something that damages your character's glory, at least 6 points. You're using your established "reputation" of honesty as a tool to make your lie more believable to protect your lord but doing so has serious mechanical and likely permanent narrative penalties to you.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
That's sort of what the group thought it was aiming for, though it definitely feels like it should come under the umbrella of Duty and Loyalty rather than Sincerity. Thanks for the help!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, using your reputation for sincerity as a tool to be dishonest seems... Insincere. It's literally the opposite of the earlier examples where being honest hurts the interests of you or those you represent, unless I'm missing something.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
So we finished the first little story arc of our campaign! It was a super wild ending with a twisted and evil shithead acting-daimyo getting betrayed by his maho wielding bugyo that he was trying to betray because we, the not-quite-samurai Scooby Gang, had seen through his plans. She body swapped him into the path of our Scorpion ninja's weapon before turning invisible and jumping out the window so the daimyo got ultra stabbed, but I had to try and help him because he's my sworn brother and his sister is my fiancee even if he is an evil shithead that turned his dad's ghost into a kansen spirit or whatever. He was stabbed up real bad so it was a TN5 Medicine (Water) check to staunch the bleeding. My dice pool was 2 Water, 1 Medicine and a Void point. I rolled 7 exploding success/strife results in a row for a total of 8 successes and 8 strife, which isn't bad for starting with four dice. A Phoenix surgeon comes in and starts working on him, but he orders her to stop, tells us he won't be a liability to "Them" and that he would do it all again in a heartbeat if it meant freeing humanity from the SHACKLES of the kami before tearing his wound back open after we fail to convince him to not die without explaining more of this kolat plot-hook. If I had unmasked before the roll I had a chance at succeeding, but I couldn't accept the exploding/strife result because I was five above my composure so now my character has to deal with thinking that if he had just not bottled up his feelings so much in the moment that maybe he could have gotten through to his friend!

For all our hard work and exposing the bullshit we got our sponsorship for the gempuku and a standing invitation to take the tests to become Emerald Magistrates if we do well enough. I got big honour rewards for Sincerity which more than offset the Courtesy breach when I told the guy he sucked and should knock it off and I got a minor Compassion boost too for rushing to help him even though he was an evil dude that had threatened my life several times which tipped me over into Virtue territory or whatever it is so now I am a Paragon of Compassion which seems super strong as long as you are doing things to be a good boy or convincing others to be good boys. It also neatly tied in to our first little thing where our boss asked us to impress the importance of Compassion on a young Lion we were hanging out with and well I guess someone learned how important it was!

Next up, training montage and gempuku time, can't wait to get wrestled by a crab, write a bad poem and then die in a duel.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

And all I got in my last L5R session was smallpox

:smith:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, using your reputation for sincerity as a tool to be dishonest seems... Insincere. It's literally the opposite of the earlier examples where being honest hurts the interests of you or those you represent, unless I'm missing something.

It's a massive sacrifice so it's going to be slightly more narrative than mechanical, but essentially you're staking a large part of your reputation (that you've likely gained by being known for being honest up to this point) on it. You lose at least 6 Glory, so your reputation is taking a hit but you're gaining Honor, so you're seeing yourself as more....honorable. It feeling counter-intuitive plays into the whole "Bushido is a set of impossible rules" since you're using the rules of the culture to benefit your lord.

So you are lying, and it probably leaves your character feeling conflicted, and it certainly damages their reputation. However, it also ensures that people *believe* you, rather than just seeing it as you taking the fall for your lord.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

RudeCat posted:

It's a massive sacrifice so it's going to be slightly more narrative than mechanical, but essentially you're staking a large part of your reputation (that you've likely gained by being known for being honest up to this point) on it. You lose at least 6 Glory, so your reputation is taking a hit but you're gaining Honor, so you're seeing yourself as more....honorable. It feeling counter-intuitive plays into the whole "Bushido is a set of impossible rules" since you're using the rules of the culture to benefit your lord.

So you are lying, and it probably leaves your character feeling conflicted, and it certainly damages their reputation. However, it also ensures that people *believe* you, rather than just seeing it as you taking the fall for your lord.

I can see that, but for the impossible rules thing its the only one that has the final thing be the opposite. Every other one is straight forward, if it was a theme across all of them I'd be more inclined to agree, but one example on one tenet doing that is a bit iffy.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Yeah, that's a fair criticism .

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Ok, looks like we have official confirmation at this point that the end result of Asmodee shuffling poo poo around is that FFG rpg lines are sliding over to a new European company called Edge Entertainment. They’re still going to be the same editions, this is just the result of whatever corporate shell game Asmodee is up to.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Baron Snow posted:

Ok, looks like we have official confirmation at this point that the end result of Asmodee shuffling poo poo around is that FFG rpg lines are sliding over to a new European company called Edge Entertainment. They’re still going to be the same editions, this is just the result of whatever corporate shell game Asmodee is up to.

Source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Facebook post from AT EASE Games with photos of a FFG/Asmodee presentation (edit: it was at GAMA)

https://www.facebook.com/ateasegames/photos/pcb.3825564887468619/3825564727468635/?type=3&theater

edit: the more interesting news on the Industry side is that Asmodee is becoming it's own distributor and ditching Alliance

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 11, 2020