Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

does funsmith make mushrooms do 2 damage, or do traps not count as spells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

It shouldn't since it's neither a spell nor skill

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Is there a goon discord for this game?

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012

Eraflure posted:

Guillotine is much stronger when you cast it with a lot of mana, which sadly makes it prime deny material.

Yep, nailed it I think. It's conceptually a very powerful card that wants a bit of assistance, but the dream turns you're looking for fall flat too often if Deny is at all prevalent in the meta

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think I dealt 40 damage or so to this Fiona deck, that was sick. Two big heals and still rushed him down.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
I’m going to try expeditions, is there a good resource for what’s good or other tips?

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfDjkOehk5k

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps

Thanks!

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

d0grent posted:

does funsmith make mushrooms do 2 damage, or do traps not count as spells?

I believe it makes mushrooms in your deck do 2 damage.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Me: free play expeditions are a great way to try out new deck types and discover combos I hadn't thought of
Also me: picks Fiora 100% of the time she's offered :v:

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Partial Octopus posted:

Is there a goon discord for this game?

the league of legends discord talks about it a lot, op

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Woo, first time 7-7. I think I had only managed two or maybe three 7 win runs total before.

Decks were Fiora/Heimer midrange stuff with 6 Ripostes, and Garen Demacia Elites.

Fiora was not even the focus of the first deck, she was just there for an additional threat and she came with other good cards, but I still got off like 3 Fiora wins. I was surprised by how little people seemed to play around her, like just throwing out 1/1 creatures for her to gobble up when she's already at 2 or 3 kills.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 23, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I like Garen a whole lot more than Fiora but Fiora with Heimer sounds really good. Two champs that make the same ok cards op.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
Ok, I lost my first three games, but managed to then claw 7 wins out of the second trial on my first expedition. I ended up with 3 Ashe and a bunch of frostbite cards. Champion capsule had Teemo. Expeditions seem pretty fun, I’ll keep doing one a week for sure.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Thanks this helped a lot with how I should be approaching the draft.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
Ok, I need 100 more shards to have 9k and be able to craft 3 champions and make a deck. I think I’m leaning Ezreal control, does that sound reasonable for a first deck?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Scoss posted:

Woo, first time 7-7. I think I had only managed two or maybe three 7 win runs total before.

Decks were Fiora/Heimer midrange stuff with 6 Ripostes, and Garen Demacia Elites.

Fiora was not even the focus of the first deck, she was just there for an additional threat and she came with other good cards, but I still got off like 3 Fiora wins. I was surprised by how little people seemed to play around her, like just throwing out 1/1 creatures for her to gobble up when she's already at 2 or 3 kills.

Whatup, fellow winner.

Final deck was Zed/Fiora/Shen, but besides Zed coming in clutch in the final game it was mostly just overwhelming everyone with challengers and elusives and shadow assassins being op draw engines.
Almost lost straight out to a 12 attack might/rising spellforce overwhelm on round 5, but spirit refuge + single combat saved the day.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
In case anyone is interested in abusing Hecarim until a eventual nerf, here is a deck I built.
CEBACAICHECQCBIXEIUCUMICAEAQEAYHAECQIBYQCQLDINQCAIAQEGBRAQAQKBIVEMWA

There is wiggle room if you want to replace cards for more late game or more anti-aggro tools, the idea of the deck is to just stall with removal and multi-summon cards and draw until your value comes online; drowning the opponent in Hecarim's.

Some backbreaking turns are dawn of dusk on your Hecarim or Rekindler, Shadow Assassin or even Soul keeper, Spectral Matron on a Hecarim or Rekindler, or having a scourge and death mark against aggro, though it's weak against recall.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 24, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Is it just me or are mushrooms insanely strong in expedition now, especially in the first few games where the odds of the game dragging on are longer?

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

DrOgreface posted:

Ok, I need 100 more shards to have 9k and be able to craft 3 champions and make a deck. I think I’m leaning Ezreal control, does that sound reasonable for a first deck?

It’s more involved to play than most meta decks and can struggle against more controlling decks that don’t play a bunch of targets to level up Ez. But it is pretty fun to OTK people.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Pilchenstein posted:

Is it just me or are mushrooms insanely strong in expedition now, especially in the first few games where the odds of the game dragging on are longer?

https://twitter.com/ShabaduEJ/status/1231358165792501760

I lost this game, but it ended up being a 7 win run anyway. (this was my opponent's deck, they drew 2! and I needed 3 on the turn they presented lethal)

Shabadu fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 24, 2020

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I've been playing a self damage Fjord/Nox deck and while it may not be the best it is really fun.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Shabadu posted:

https://twitter.com/ShabaduEJ/status/1231358165792501760

I lost this game, but it ended up being a 7 win run anyway. (this was my opponent's deck, they drew 2! and I needed 3 on the turn they presented lethal)

Oof, that's a low roll. There should be a median of 4 puffcaps on every card.

I once won an expedition game when my opponent leveled up Ashe, cast her ult, and drew an extra mushroom from the card draw effect of the card, putting them in mystic shot lethal range.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Teemo gets you the dumb numbers but you can just play control with heimer and whatever and go ham with puffcap peddlers and cantrips like so and dump all the mushrooms on the last half of their deck

Then you just stall for 2-3 turns and your oppo explodes

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps

mightygerm posted:

It’s more involved to play than most meta decks and can struggle against more controlling decks that don’t play a bunch of targets to level up Ez. But it is pretty fun to OTK people.

I liked OG Freeze Mage in HS and it sounds similar. I’ll wait to see what I pull from my chest tomorrow but I’ll probably go with it. If I don’t like it I’m not far from doing something like crafting a Zed for an I/F elusive deck.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ezrael's a reasonable choice right now, it does horribly vs PnZ Noxus but that deck isnt as popular as it was last week.

I've been getting my wins this week with heimer ionia, which is a fun deck because it always has a reasonable shot at winning even if it's not favored in every matchup. (compare to ashe noxus which loses in a very embarrassing fashion vs Ezrael)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Teemo is why you always want to draft elusive/challengers/lifesteal or direct damage in expedition, a single elusive unit can keep teemo just sitting on the board forever.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Teemo's not why. Those are just the best mechanics in the game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

No Wave posted:

Teemo's not why. Those are just the best mechanics in the game.

Well, yeah.

It's just if your deck has no way to deal with elusives then it's probably a bad deck.

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Well, yeah.

It's just if your deck has no way to deal with elusives then it's probably a bad deck.

This sounds pretty right to me, and it's a big part of how I've been drafting. It may have begun out of spite, but then it turned into good results.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I wanted to stop playing red deck wins and I had three Teemos, so I built a mushroom deck and, when I was testing it out, was placed against four mushroom decks in a row. I went 2:2 /shrug. I think I'm going back to RDW I guess.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Had a 7 win expedition as Teemo/Draven/Jinx with no minion above 4 mana and just a progress day and shunpo above 4 mana, usually play control but thought, gently caress it, I'll see how it goes, turns out not a lot of people draft their decks to counter elusives or a board full of house spiders, legionaries and arena battlecaster.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

in expedition you should always assume your opponent will play greenglade duo on 2 and they usually will.

piL posted:

I wanted to stop playing red deck wins and I had three Teemos, so I built a mushroom deck and, when I was testing it out, was placed against four mushroom decks in a row. I went 2:2 /shrug. I think I'm going back to RDW I guess.
Isnt teemo in red deck wins (as the second best 1 drop)?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

No Wave posted:

in expedition you should always assume your opponent will play greenglade duo on 2 and they usually will.

Isnt teemo in red deck wins (as the second best 1 drop)?

He's in mine, but the rest of the shroom cards arent.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I think Progress Day really needs to come down to Fast speed. It would make the P/Z spell spam a little less overwhelming if there was a counter available. As is if Heimer or Ezreal get one Progress Day you are going to lose the game because they'll probably end up with multiples due to the cascade and just burst spell you to death.

Like, I don't think P/Z is broken at all, to be clear. But I do think you should be able to threaten Deny mana on a free 8/8 T-hex at least.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

you have to punish them after they cast it. just being able to deny everything is boring and it's a spell I really like being unbelievably expensive but burst.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 25, 2020

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Warmother control is fun deck.

What are peoples thoughts on limiting buying cards per week? I kinda dislike it since I like to have a ton of decks but my wallet appreciates the artificial cap on spending.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The first week I bought 3 champs and it was a little painful. The second week I bought 3 more and it felt better.

Then I never bought anymore because I did the math and vault + rewards would get me every other card within three months.

I cant imagine game will stay this generous tbh, its pretty nuts right mow.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Limiting how much money people can spend weekly only hurts people who haven't been playing since day 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

This is the best part about getting in on the ground floor of a free to play game. Being in the HS closed beta and the Eternal Open Beta meant having nearly full collections for free before other folk had even started playing. It made subsequent expansions and sets more affordable and you still had a sizeable lead on currency and overall skill by the time they started letting off the firehose.

Last week I played so much I hit max vault for the week Friday night. Free expeditions past your 3rd for the week is just the greatest thing.