Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm the only one in my 3-player game that uses the rifle because it honestly kinda sucks. It would be fine if ammo stacked up better and it didn't take so many goddamn resources for ammo, but here we are. Why does ammunition take a shitload of steel? Why do I need to use a quarter of a beacon for four measly bullets? Why can I only carry 50 caseless rounds in the same amount of space that I can carry 500 spools of wire the size of my torso?!

I know the answer to all of those,* I just don't like it.

*FICSIT, Inc® reserves the right to deny packages, support, or resources to any property found using non-FICSIT, Inc® construction methods on FICSIT, Inc® property.

FICSIT sucks and should drop us with a decent SMG. Sometimes I literally off-hand punch xenos cuz our armaments are so poo poo. Jesus, I feel like just grabbing a decent branch off a tree and bashing xenos with it would be easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm the only one in my 3-player game that uses the rifle because it honestly kinda sucks. It would be fine if ammo stacked up better and it didn't take so many goddamn resources for ammo, but here we are. Why does ammunition take a shitload of steel? Why do I need to use a quarter of a beacon for four measly bullets? Why can I only carry 50 caseless rounds in the same amount of space that I can carry 500 spools of wire the size of my torso?!

I know the answer to all of those,* I just don't like it.

*FICSIT, Inc® reserves the right to deny packages, support, or resources to any property found using non-FICSIT, Inc® construction methods on FICSIT, Inc® property.

Yeah I was all excited to try out the rifle once I unlocked it and for all those reasons it's really crappy. To boot there's not much feedback to even tell if my hits are landing and it takes tonnes of shots to kill things. I mean, having it be good would really unbalance the game but it's a looot of effort for a very meh outcome.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Evilreaver posted:

Is there a way to use liquid fuels in vehicles?

If not, how are empty cans handled, just dumped in cargo? What if the cargo is full at the time?

From what I’ve seen loving around with the jet pack, the fuel containers are consumed along with the fuel, which makes it a very odd sort of jet pack, amongst fictional flying devices.

Making empty gas cans out of plastic is interesting I suppose, but a bunch of other products come with packaging which doesn’t need to be manufactured independently, so it sort of sticks out.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah I was all excited to try out the rifle once I unlocked it and for all those reasons it's really crappy. To boot there's not much feedback to even tell if my hits are landing and it takes tonnes of shots to kill things. I mean, having it be good would really unbalance the game but it's a looot of effort for a very meh outcome.

Given there's a beacon in them, you'd think they'd be tracker rounds or something.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also the inventory upgrade recipe is instant QoL and a no brainer pick imo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GruntyThrst posted:

This has not worked for me, dozens of bees continually respawn in my oil refinery. Jerks.

The refinery belongs to the bees now, just mark it under quarantine, keep the power and flow on, and move on.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I had an idea for a very elaborate game mode mod that may be possible, the idea is sort of similar to a succession game combined with recovering an abandoned fortress in Dwarf Fortress.

My idea has a player building up a factory for a certain time limit, a number of hours or whatever. When that time limit is up they stop building. We fluff that with some cyclical minor apocalypse or something (this idea was inspired by Outer Wilds).

The game then takes the save file, deletes a percentage of items, buildings, belts, etc and serves it up to player two. The second player then has to take this half build and half destroyed factory and start building from there. Maybe there is also a time limit on that second player and the cycle repeats again.

The idea is that picking up someone else's factory without the intimate knowledge of its geography and logic is fairly hard, and might result in building shortcuts and weird style mishmashes, and encourage fun clusterfuck factories.

Just a pie in the sky idea, but there is that mapping service that can read save games and plot out where things are built, so I think save games are readable to a certain extent, maybe they're editable too?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The only modding that would be needed would be Thanos.exe, which wipes out half of everything. The rest you described would be user enforced I would imagine. It seems like it could be good for some laughs.

E: this is a hypothetical Thanos.exe

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
New patch for the experimental branch:

quote:

Hi Pioneers!

We’ve got another patch out with a bunch of smaller and bigger fixes and changes on Experimental.

We made the Stackable Poles for Conveyors and Pipelines work with each other as well, but that meant we had to do a visual adjustment to the Stackable Pipeline Support, which are now placed in a different position. This will not functionally break your existing pipe networks, but they might look a bit off where you’ve used the Stackable Supports.

The creature respawning has also been adjusted again to be more forgiving, so creatures don’t respawn where your factory is at work. One disclaimer here, enemies will not just disappear from where they spawned without you having to clear them out first. If it is in a factory area, they should no longer respawn afterwards. And the flying enemies should no longer multiply like crazy.

Hope you enjoy this patch! <3

QUALITY OF LIFE

Different stackable poles can now be stacked with each other
BALANCING

Adjusted the Petal gain for foliage in the Dune Desert
Adjusted the speed of the Factory Cart to be slightly faster than the Blade Runners
Factory Cart now has a crafting time of 10
Minor switch in the Alien Organisms research tree, the second research now consistently unlocks Biomass recipes
Additional tweaks to the creature respawn system to be more forgiving
FACTORY

Tweaked some resource meshes
Motor, Reinforced Iron Plate, Mycelia, Steel Pipe, Cable, all packaged liquids
Renamed Liquid Freight Platform to Fluid Freight Platform
Polished some Wall, Doorway and Conveyor meshes
Added Hyper Tube Wall Support and Wall Attachment
Added new Curved Ramp & Quarter Pipe corner pieces
Added Inverted Ramp Corners and Double Ramps in all sizes
Updated several factory building VFX
Improved the accuracy and feel of placing Water Extractors and reduced the potential for placing them into terrain
Tweaked sounds on the Factory Cart
UI

Fluid Freight Platforms and Freight Cars now have proper fluid UI
Generators now display a warning if they can’t run due to a lack of Water
Added icon for Geysers
WORLD

Replaced dead tree trunks around the world with new meshes
Tweaked moss textures
Updated and optimized the Geyser idle and burst VFX
Patched up some holes in canyon cliffs
Added some more missing water volumes
Switched out all Limestone resource nodes with new meshes
Quartz resource deposits now have their own mesh and material
Tweaks to the LODs, materials and textures of boulders, pebbles and rubble
BUG FIXES

Water Extractors should no longer be disconnected from water on load when the water volume has been replaced
HUB sub-buildings (like the integrated Biomass Burners) can no longer be dismantled
The Drop Ship in the HUB should show up for everyone now
Oil nodes show purity again
Fixed some floating Gas Pillars
Poisonous Gas around the Pillars should now be visible again
Northern Forest is now spelled correctly in the New Game menu
Languages can be changed without issues again
New items in Inventory notifications should not show anymore when moving resources around in the Inventory
Potentially fixed a crash related to multiplayer
Fixed some more Chainsaw audio bugs
Fixed some minor aliasing issues on compass icons
Flying Crabs should no longer respawn drastically
The Resource Scanning & pick-up animations are now visible with new equipment
Clients can now open Crash Sites that require power
Crash Sites that require power now say MW instead of MWh
Fixed an infinite looping case in Pipelines which would cause the game to freeze
Potentially fixed a crash related to Conveyor attachment holograms
Player character no longer automatically walks when clicking the search bar in the build menu while walking
Portable Miners now only work on solid resources
When travelling in Hyper Tubes the player character should no longer be affected by water and the bounce effect of the Space Giraffe-Tick-Penguin-Whale Thing
Hyper Tubes no longer prompt an interaction text
Parts that only exist in recipes as a byproduct show up in the Codex now
It is no longer possible to build Splitters/Mergers in the vast expanse of space by aiming into the air
Splitters/Mergers will no longer return a valid aim location on invalid aim locations
Fixed crash when placing Splitters/Mergers

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Volmarias posted:

The refinery belongs to the bees now, just mark it under quarantine, keep the power and flow on, and move on.

I set up a production line for cartridges that outputs into a box right next to the train station I use to get to the refinery. Step off the platform when I get there and pop pop pop pop pop pop pop. Kindly satisfying, if inordinately resource-expensive.

LonsomeSon posted:

From what I’ve seen loving around with the jet pack, the fuel containers are consumed along with the fuel, which makes it a very odd sort of jet pack, amongst fictional flying devices.

Making empty gas cans out of plastic is interesting I suppose, but a bunch of other products come with packaging which doesn’t need to be manufactured independently, so it sort of sticks out.

I find the fuel production chain totally ludicrous. You need a minimum of 3 refineries to produce packaged fuel, what the hell.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 25, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, nice stuff in that patch. One of my hyper tubes crossed the path of a giraffe tick whale thing and it was really annoying to get bounced out of the tube in the middle of nowhere!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Hard Drives currently research instantly.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Vasudus posted:

Hard Drives currently research instantly.

Time to switch to full-time exploring!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

Am I missing a way to deal with heavy oil residue stopping up my plastic production other than running an equal number of refineries and dumping petroleum coke into the shredder? I have to be missing something.
You can pump your petroleum coke into coal power plants. It was actually a lifesaver for me 'cause I was just reaching maximum capacity on the coal patch I'd been working and refineries are hungry for power.

Is there an elegant way to set up an overflow system? Like only shredding something if the primary belt is full?

I can imagine making an ugly pile of splitters that usually only sends a small portion of the stuff to the shredder, but that's not an ideal solution for something that looks to be a pretty common issue now that multi-output stuff exists.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

GruntyThrst posted:

Am I missing a way to deal with heavy oil residue stopping up my plastic production other than running an equal number of refineries and dumping petroleum coke into the shredder? I have to be missing something.

I was just coming here to ask about this very issue. I turned it into residual fuel, but it looks like there's no way to actually use it until research the fuel generators in tier 6. If I research alternate fluid transport. Can I even do anything with packaged fuel other than store it?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I was just coming here to ask about this very issue. I turned it into residual fuel, but it looks like there's no way to actually use it until research the fuel generators in tier 6. If I research alternate fluid transport. Can I even do anything with packaged fuel other than store it?

Packaged fuel can be used in vehicles and is used by the jetpack. Not sure if you can drop it in biomass/coal generators but even if so you could just be making coke instead. And of course you can use it to unpackage further down to transport without dealing with pipes over long distances.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I wound up building an escalating stack of liquid buffers until I unlocked fuel generators, now I have four running off of residual fuel which consumes all of my residual oil and is slowly emptying out the stack of buffer tanks. I also have another 16 running off of two overclocked crude patches, so it will be noticeable but hopefully not critical if they choke on fuel, and I will know to go investigate power when I check the readout.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I built a 2.5 km pipeline

It took a long time but works very well.

I just looked at the recipe for the adaptive control unit and modular engine and died

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Tenebrais posted:

Packaged fuel can be used in vehicles and is used by the jetpack. Not sure if you can drop it in biomass/coal generators but even if so you could just be making coke instead. And of course you can use it to unpackage further down to transport without dealing with pipes over long distances.

Yeah I turned it to make coke instead and put down 3 coal generators next to my refineries which helped out my power a bit. Just feels weird that they'd put the fuel recipe on that tier when you can't make good use of it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, science happened, and lessons have been learned. We had previously discovered the factory cart does not inflict fall damage (except in some cases where it ejects you from the cart). This can be used to navigate very large drops. We further discovered tonight that a nobelisk placed on the back of the cart will propel the cart if detonated while airborne. This led to an escalating series of experiments involving larger and larger numbers of nobelisks. We stopped at 20 because it got late.

When used in conjunction with a quarter pipe foundation for optimal alignment, hilarity ensues. The initial attempt that launched the pilot over a river due south and into the side of a cliff (survived). The second attempt launched the pilot substantially east of the previous landing, about twice the distance (survived). The third attempt was a near vertical launch, causing the pilot to proclaim "I can see the whole island from here!". This attempt further doubled the distance in a due east direction (pilot deceased). The final attempt launched the pilot due north, with the cart arcing backwards from the launch ramp. About 75% the distance of the third attempt, with a splashdown far off the north coast of the island.

Highlighted point is launch site, with the various landing points around it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Anyone else have stuttering problems? I have a nice shiny new computer, the game runs at a great high framerate, but every few seconds I get horrible stutters that vary from full half second freezes to FPS dips to around 5-10, it's extremely frustrating and makes the game really annoying to play, especially if a stutter happens while I'm trying to place objects.

It seems to happen the most when I'm moving around, so my first though is LOD models loading, but I have an nvme drive and turning quality down to the dirt didn't help either. Could be GC but the game has a pretty small memory footprint so it really shouldn't be that either.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Taffer posted:

Anyone else have stuttering problems? I have a nice shiny new computer, the game runs at a great high framerate, but every few seconds I get horrible stutters that vary from full half second freezes to FPS dips to around 5-10, it's extremely frustrating and makes the game really annoying to play, especially if a stutter happens while I'm trying to place objects.

It seems to happen the most when I'm moving around, so my first though is LOD models loading, but I have an nvme drive and turning quality down to the dirt didn't help either. Could be GC but the game has a pretty small memory footprint so it really shouldn't be that either.

Yep I have that, every so often the game just stops entirely for half/a quarter of a second. It's especially annoying during fights in high places where I don't want to fall down.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If it's about every five minutes it's the autosave. I don't know what could be stuttering every few seconds though. I play on a toaster with the settings bottomed out and don't get that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It happens for me when I'm driving to a specific place. I'll take a turn down a hill into a new biome and the game hangs for a few seconds and then keeps going. But it's only one specific location.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I definitely get noticeable half second freezes, usually when I'm moving around. Not even that quickly sometimes, I started off on the north side of the map near 4 or 5 iron deposits next to a cliff and I've fallen off more than once just because it held my last input while I was standing very near an edge futzing around with foundations. The game's on a SSD too. I might fitz with settings to see if I can fix it but it's only really a big problem every 10+ hours.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
I think the the asset streaming might be bugged. I just started a new grassland game and get the stuttering, even with nothing build in the world. It's also easily reproducible as just running back and forth causes the stutters every time I walk over a certain point.

There's also a bug report on the feedback site so they should be aware of the issue.

https://questions.satisfactorygame.com/post/5e4e2c427cebfb43f6e82873

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
When it happens to me, I noticed it seems to be related to landscape off in the distance swapping LOD models. Sucks because my home base is right on the edge of this magic distance and I'm constantly stuttering.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
They really need to fix the alignment when you add a splitter to a conveyor belt.

Right now it won't show the green alignment unless you do it with the ground, which makes it more complicated to built your production lines.

The same goes for the vertical conveyors and splitters.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

lagidnam posted:

I think the the asset streaming might be bugged. I just started a new grassland game and get the stuttering, even with nothing build in the world. It's also easily reproducible as just running back and forth causes the stutters every time I walk over a certain point.

There's also a bug report on the feedback site so they should be aware of the issue.

https://questions.satisfactorygame.com/post/5e4e2c427cebfb43f6e82873

Glad it's not just me. I haven't noticed it at exact spots really, but that's probably because I've been changing my settings a bunch trying to make it less intrusive.

Was it like this before update 3? This is my first time playing the game since shortly after launch. If it's always been this way I'm gonna guess it'll be a while before that changes if ever, but maybe it can be fixed soon if it's a new problem.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I've always noticed a few areas between biomes where the game hangs for a second every time you pass through it, I haven't played the most recent experimental branch so I can't speak to if it's worse or not.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Playing experimental, I happened upon a pure limestone node that was glowing a very bright pink. Other than that it was normal. Anyone else see this? It's near the forest start

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yes Several of my limestone nodes glow intensely.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's a graphical bug with the latest patch. It's also affecting fuel generators, which glow fiercely.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Got surprised at 3 health by one of those elite fire spitters.

Blew him up with a stick of dynamite.:cool:

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Ok that's what I figured.

I have one normal coal node set up, but that's almost entirely going to generators. Need to build a causeway to the huge node cluster about 800m away. Hope I can replace my truck with a train soon

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Wrr posted:

Got surprised at 3 health by one of those elite fire spitters.

Blew him up with a stick of dynamite.:cool:

Wait, I thought nobelisks couldn’t be used to damage wildlife?!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Nobody has posted the update notes yet so I will:

quote:

BUG FIXES

Fixed the performance issues introduced earlier
Vehicles and Trains now give the correct refunds when dismantled, even when the inventory is full
Potentially fixed a crash on load related to pipes
Fixed another crash related to dismantling the Hub via mass-dismantle
Fixed up pink textures in the world

BALANCING

Reduced the power consumption of the Refinery from 50 to 30 MW.

Balance changes to oil production:

Increased the production rate of Fluid Canisters and reduced the cost.
Increased the production rate of all Packaging recipes.
Increased the production rate of all Unpackaging recipes.
Reduced the amount of by-product on the basic Plastic recipe.
Increased the amount of by-product on the basic Rubber recipe.
Increased production rates of all by-product refinement recipes.
Reduced Water requirement of Residual Plastic and Rubber.

Balance changes to Alternate recipes:

Reduced the cost of Coated Iron Plate
Reduced the cost and increased the output of Steel Coated Plate
Increased the output of Quickwire Cable
Reduced the cost of Coated Cable
Reduced the cost of Fine Concrete
Reduced the cost of Rubber Concrete
Increased the Water requirement of Wet Concrete
Increased the Iron Plate requirement of Bolted Iron Plate
Reduced the cost of Stitched Iron Plate
Reduced the cost of Adhered Iron Plate
Reduced the cost of Steel Rotor
Reduced the cost of Plastic Smart Plating
Reduced the cost and the changed parts required for High-speed Wiring, which was also renamed to ‘Automated Speed Wiring’
Increased the cost of Recycled Plastic
Increased the cost of Recycled Rubber
Changed the parts required for Diluted Packaged Fuel
Reduced the cost of Rigour Motor
Changed the required part amounts for Turbo Rigour Motor
Reduced the cost and increased the production rate of Electromagnetic Connection Rod

Haven't had a chance to try it yet due to work, but I really hope those performance fixes cover the bad stuttering. Should fix all the crazy glowing stuff too.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

LonsomeSon posted:

Wait, I thought nobelisks couldn’t be used to damage wildlife?!

They can, they just aren't very effective. If you're lucky you can sometimes kill a basic fluffy hog with a single stick, but it usually takes two. Don't even consider using nobelisks against any of the large variants of hogs, spitters, or stingers.

Taffer posted:

Haven't had a chance to try it yet due to work, but I really hope those performance fixes cover the bad stuttering. Should fix all the crazy glowing stuff too.

Nope still stuttering.
And the glowy rocks were "fixed" by making the nodes invisible. There's still also a few copper nodes with glowy pebbles around them.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

nielsm posted:

Nope still stuttering.

Can confirm. :sigh:

Was really hoping it would be at least slightly improved, but if anything it's worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I was JUST about to set up a specialized factory for Modular Engines and Adaptive Control units for resource sinking so thanks guys, fortunately I didn't build the thing yet.