Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
gently caress Steel. How can you know something like that and then not report it.

Also, thread. I wanted to ask something, it is relatively unimportant:

Would you say it is possible for us to truly change as people? I know that this is the internet and hence everything usually has a very high amount of irony and dissassociation from the self, but do any of you think it's possible to truly improve and change as a person when faced with ones actions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Steel knowing about Cyril Smith came out ages ago, he's only now resigning?

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say 'who?!'

He was speaker in the Scottish Parliament for a while.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

gently caress Steel. How can you know something like that and then not report it.

Would you say it is possible for us to truly change as people? I know that this is the internet and hence everything usually has a very high amount of irony and dissassociation from the self, but do any of you think it's possible to truly improve and change as a person when faced with ones actions?

Yes, I've changed quite a lot in the last decade.

Also I am always posting 100% unironically.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say 'who?!'

Really? Does this make me old? He was former leader of the Liberal Party & first leader of the post-merger Lib Dems. He was also the first Presiding Officer of the Scottish Parliament (which is Speaker basically).

Garbage Liberal who covered up a paedophile MP is what he'll mostly be remembered for though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Really? Does this make me old? He was former leader of the Liberal Party & first leader of the post-merger Lib Dems. He was also the first Presiding Officer of the Scottish Parliament (which is Speaker basically).

Garbage Liberal who covered up a paedophile MP is what he'll mostly be remembered for though.

If you can remember the liberal party then yes you are An Old.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

marktheando posted:

Steel knowing about Cyril Smith came out ages ago, he's only now resigning?

He was speaker in the Scottish Parliament for a while.

A big report came out that said basically everyone in power in the police and politics knew about rampent rape and child molestation by the rich and powerful and did nothing about it because they fear the rich and powerful.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

You seem like a good dude bugman, with your heart in the right place. You keep hinting that you view yourself as some kind of terrible person but I've not seen any evidence of this being true.

To answer your question, yes. Even tories can improve and change.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Aramoro posted:

You might find that the reverse happens if it goes they way it's predicted now and the melts win.

Kier Starmer as leader of the Labour Party will not win a general election, and the idea of any of the other useless melts achieving it is laughable.

Centrist liberalism is dead and it's not coming back, no matter how hard those who still cling to it wish it were.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Josef bugman posted:

Would you say it is possible for us to truly change as people?

Yes I believe so, I know I’ve changed a lot from when I was younger - weather that’s ‘true’ change or not depends on what you mean by that I suppose

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

A big report came out that said basically everyone in power in the police and politics knew about rampent rape and child molestation by the rich and powerful and did nothing about it because they fear the rich and powerful.

I've not really read it in much detail, but the headlines (Thatcher knew! Steel knew!) we knew about years ago.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Facehammer posted:

Kier Starmer as leader of the Labour Party will not win a general election, and the idea of any of the other useless melts achieving it is laughable.

Centrist liberalism is dead and it's not coming back, no matter how hard those who still cling to it wish it were.

I actually worry he might but not because he's capable, but because I suspect johnson is going to gently caress up severely.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fun fact about David Steel, he appointed Cyril Smith as Chief Whip as soon as he became Liberal leader. Despite having just been Chief Whip himself & so it was his job to have dirt on Liberal MPs to make sure they'd hold the line. Even though as far as I can tell he claims he didn't know until 1979. Which means he must have been a pretty loving bad Whip.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Josef bugman posted:

Unequivocally yes, it is possible. Time and effort can accomplish wonders.

forkboy84 posted:

Yes it makes you old. Though I was more going for the easy 'Lib Dems are irrelevant nobodies' joke than actually not knowing who he is, if I wanted to know that I'd've used the google. Like a young person :P

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

marktheando posted:

I've not really read it in much detail, but the headlines (Thatcher knew! Steel knew!) we knew about years ago.

Yeah but that got memory holed and now the official report came out and wasn't a total whitewash.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Facehammer posted:

Well I guess that is true after Corbyn did so well at winning elections.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

We're always constantly changing as people, as we're exposed to new information and people.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Starmar will do worse.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Starmar will do worse.

Who would do better though? I can see why Corbyn is not out and out backing RLB because that would just confirm her as Corbyn 2.0 which wouldn't be winning much either.

Also why the gently caress is Ian Murray still a thing.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Aramoro posted:

He's the man who mended our broken Hearts.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

marktheando posted:

He's the man who mended our broken Hearts.

Untrue, he stepped down from his position in Hearts to become an MP.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I feel I’m going to regret asking this but where on earth did this thread title come from?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Who would do better though? I can see why Corbyn is not out and out backing RLB because that would just confirm her as Corbyn 2.0 which wouldn't be winning much either.

Anyone who isn't going to be wed to keeping the Brexit culture war the Main thing for the next five years. Anyone who isn't basically already a Tory.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I feel I’m going to regret asking this but where on earth did this thread title come from?

Guavanaut posted:

It starts around about here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3912969&pagenumber=37&perpage=40#post502378912

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Aramoro posted:

Untrue, he stepped down from his position in Hearts to become an MP.

He was still doing Hearts stuff as an MP I'm pretty certain.

Either way he gets given a lot of the credit for saving them.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

not nearly as horrifying as I was expecting, tyvm

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Aramoro posted:

I don't think anyone can do better.

loving Jesus himself could show up complete with glowing heavenly halo and direct word of god saying he should be in charge and the papers would still accuse him of antisemitism.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you subscribe to the notion that the loss was primarily due to fatigue and brexit, then the next leader mostly needs to be a: not corbyn and b: not a loving brexit nutter. And c: the melts need to not gently caress it up again, which they may do, but if they do we need to retaliate this time. Starmer of course, fails two out of 3.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

loving Jesus himself could show up complete with glowing heavenly halo and direct word of god saying he should be in charge and the papers would still accuse him of antisemitism.
He did beat up a bunch of Jews in their own temple,

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I actually worry he might but not because he's capable, but because I suspect johnson is going to gently caress up severely.

I worry that Boris fucks up severely, but by his strange alchemy, somehow turns it into an enormous advantage.

Aramoro posted:

Obviously, the path to electoral success is Swinsonism.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't think anyone can do better.

Well no wonder!
He might be Jewish himself, but he made himself the head of a religion that said "all the stuff the Jews believe in? Don't worry about it. Just promise you'll be good to me, and Dad will see you right"

- the Jewish chronicle, probably

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

If you subscribe to the notion that the loss was primarily due to fatigue and brexit, then the next leader mostly needs to be a: not corbyn and b: not a loving brexit nutter. And c: the melts need to not gently caress it up again, which they may do, but if they do we need to retaliate this time. Starmer of course, fails two out of 3.

Big If.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Yeah there was active sabotage from the loving Blairites the whole time Corbyn was in power. As far as I'm concerned the labour party should be split and formed into two parties, one called The Labour Party formed of the leftists, and the other called something idiotic like say The Independent Group formed of Blairites.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

*shrug* it's the only argument I think explains the discrepancy between 2017 and 2019. In 2017 labour had the initiative, even in spite of the wrecking, in 2019 the tories were stronger on brexit and the liberals were sniping from the other direction. Four years of fuckery takes its toll.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

qhat posted:

Yeah there was active sabotage from the loving Blairites the whole time Corbyn was in power. As far as I'm concerned the labour party should be split and formed into two parties, one called The Labour Party formed of the leftists, and the other called something idiotic like say The Independent Group formed of Blairites.

The trouble with this is that the Labour party element would end up being third if not fourth largest in parliament for at least another election if it did, and that would probably mean forever.

The Parliamentary party, even after 5 years of Corbyn, is still melty as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Who are the good people in the NEC CLP By-Election?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

qhat posted:

Also the whole time Milliband was in power, in case anyone is thinking things will improve with a centrist leader.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

sebzilla posted:

All the ones who have been given 'administrative suspension' so you can't vote for them.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

sebzilla posted:

Well I got this the other day:

Momentum e-mail posted:

We're backing Lauren Townsend and Leigh Drennan for the CLP positions, and Nav Mishra - who is also backed by Unite, CWU, FBU and BFAWU - for BAME representative.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
When you definitely care about antisemitism

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1231913901962428417?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1232344844326068225