Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

POAHHHHK AND BEAAAANSSSSSS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

button meme guy just sweating buckets trying to figure out whether this vaccine is good or autism-causing

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

All the preppers are going to be SO smug after this thing passes.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
approximately 60% of YouTube videos are preppers discussing the math underlying their bean hoards and which type of rice has the most calories and stuff

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

Nocturtle posted:

6 out of 9 supreme court justices are in the >65 years old elevated risk of serious complications group, so they should all be worried if one of their co-workers get the virus. The liberals are relatively more ancient on average though.

Also just noticed that people single out RBG as being foolish for staying on too long but Breyer is really up there too.

:kav: has a weakened immune system due to alcohol obviously

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Informative but this lady suggests 30lbs of beans to have 1 serving for 360 days. Where the gently caress are all the other servings of beans. I'm talking at least 3 a day. Maybe six. That's 90lb-180lbs of beans and that means my beangame is sorely lacking.

I only have 70-80 servings of beans, tops.

She seemed to imply that all beans were equal, and I'm not buying it.

I want to know what the best bean for long-term survival.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

mastershakeman posted:

This isn't the same cult as the one the ex president was in where she sunk that ferry as a sacrifice, is it

I assume those cults are aligned but not identical

If I had a nickel for every time a hot young korean lady tried to recruit me into a pseudo-christian cult... I'd have about a quarter

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009
definitely didn’t see this “doomsday cult spreads boomer plague across the globe” storyline coming

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
reading the CDC warning has me thinking about thos beans

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Alright so serious question. What is a decent amount of prep for two people? Any medication we should grab? We are both 31.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

ju;st read that one of the symptoms of the virus is having a huge hog,...... im shaking rn in fear, should i go to the doctor?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Golli posted:

She seemed to imply that all beans were equal, and I'm not buying it.

I want to know what the best bean for long-term survival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ4sgy5vXZs

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Lol so it really does look like I need to stock up on 3 months of beans per person, 3 months of rice per person, 3 months of spices per person, 3 months of toilet paper per person, 3 months of other basic living supplies per person...

And then another 3 months of beans for my personal emergency supply

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Presenting Nipples posted:

Alright so serious question. What is a decent amount of prep for two people? Any medication we should grab? We are both 31.

two coffins unless you’re ok with a double wide and sharing

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

angerbeet posted:

Did he pass that Right To Try thing? That'd be a workaround for in vivo testing in humans.

Lawman 0 posted:

Oh gently caress me they did

There is an important distinction between a cure and a vaccine here.

With a cure, if you're in bad enough shape you don't care if it's untested medicine that might make you grow a second head. With a vaccine you're talking about giving to tens of millions of people who aren't even sick yet, they usually care very much.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Bullfrog posted:

ju;st read that one of the symptoms of the virus is having a huge hog,...... im shaking rn in fear, should i go to the doctor?

that's swine flu you dumdum

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

amaru_chulla posted:

I'm relaying to my GF the need to get beans and she keeps repeating the word "BEANS?!?!" incredulously.... How do I explain the urgency of acquiring beans to them?

My girlfriend has recently converted to Legumology and we are replete with beans. Need more rice and broth before The Great loving begins though.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

kopasetic posted:

definitely didn’t see this “doomsday cult spreads boomer plague across the globe” storyline coming

literally just like in my japanese animes

twoday
May 4, 2005

There are literally a bajillion preppier youtube videos and forums and guides and manuals written about this but I haven’t really read any of them and don’t know which are good and I have kind of just been winging it

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Shelf stable stuff that you will eventually use anyway. Key is to limit your need to go out to the store for a while if this gets nasty. Rice and beans are easy and cheap so that's what the jokes are about, but canned food, meat that can be frozen, stuff like summer sausage, granola bars, pasta, nuts, etc. Also things like toilet paper, hygiene products, etc.

It's not the apocalypse, but it may be real smart not to be making extra trips to the grocery store for a bit. You don't want to have to go out trusting everyone not to cough on you cause you ran out of toilet paper.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

We really need to get a goon approved list of poo poo you need to stock up on

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

well, definitely won't need condoms at least

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Feldegast42 posted:

Hentai

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Feldegast42 posted:

Lol so it really does look like I need to stock up on 3 months of beans per person, 3 months of rice per person, 3 months of spices per person, 3 months of toilet paper per person, 3 months of other basic living supplies per person...

And then another 3 months of beans for my personal emergency supply

Don't forget bartering beans. Beans you have to trade for things.

Buy smaller cans though. You get those big gallons of beans and the people in bartertown are going to go "WHAT?!! 100ft of paracord, a knife, a compass, a child's skull AND an old mp3 player?! For ONE can of beans??!"

Then you are stuck explaining one big can of beans really equals like 15+ regular cans of beans. It is better to just say "yeah fifteen cans of beans bitch."

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Here's a Serious answer since well this is serious.

After you get what 80 pounds of beans you probably should make sure you have:

Bleach
Hand Sanitizer
Daily Medications which are filled through mail and can be filled in advance
Tylenol/Cold medicine for basic symptom relief.
Any kind of comfort foods or things you need when you can't leave the house for a week

The real kind of things you should be doing is talking with your family to reduce your risk profile. Identify who and what activities are likely to bring you in contact with lots of people and discuss how you might be able to reduce contact during those events. This is simple things like sitting a little further from people, or skipping gymnastics this week. Make sure everyone in the house is washing their hands regulrly for at least 20 seconds (you can since the alphabet and this is close enough).

You need to break the normalcy. Assume the virus is here you just can't see it, and it's waiting for you to get complacent. For instance I saw 6 peeople having lunch in our 12x12 foot break room, with 4 of them cramed into a table that would maybe seat 3 comfortably. And of course they are all 55+ boomers. Also, don't hang out with boomers they don't believe in vaccines, health or doing anything preventative.

Our family has been focused on how we will keep my 65+ MIL healthy who lives with us.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

so it was foretold in the book of C-SPAM, amen

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Italy currently at 322 infected, 11 dead (four 80+ y.o. people died in the past few hours)

My throat hurts but I have no fever, should I start the Bean Cure already in order to release several gaseous plumes and infect my entire neighborhood?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

hoarding vodka as a sober person because I believe it will be used as currency

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
i just bought a ton of baked beans and a copy of cars 2 on dvd

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Has anyone taken out a HELOC to build an addition on their homes just for bean and jerky storage?

Asking for a friend

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1232364534783979523
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1232365411825573890

twoday
May 4, 2005

TorakFade posted:

Italy currently at 322 infected, 11 dead (four 80+ y.o. people died in the past few hours)

My throat hurts but I have no fever, should I start the Bean Cure already in order to release several gaseous plumes and infect my entire neighborhood?

This reminds me that pasta fagioli is pretty tasty

I’m gonna go buy some canned mackerel and buillion cubes and pasta

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

pigz posted:

Here's a Serious answer since well this is serious.

After you get what 80 pounds of beans you probably should make sure you have:

Bleach
Hand Sanitizer
Daily Medications which are filled through mail and can be filled in advance
Tylenol/Cold medicine for basic symptom relief.
Any kind of comfort foods or things you need when you can't leave the house for a week

The real kind of things you should be doing is talking with your family to reduce your risk profile. Identify who and what activities are likely to bring you in contact with lots of people and discuss how you might be able to reduce contact during those events. This is simple things like sitting a little further from people, or skipping gymnastics this week. Make sure everyone in the house is washing their hands regulrly for at least 20 seconds (you can since the alphabet and this is close enough).

You need to break the normalcy. Assume the virus is here you just can't see it, and it's waiting for you to get complacent. For instance I saw 6 peeople having lunch in our 12x12 foot break room, with 4 of them cramed into a table that would maybe seat 3 comfortably. And of course they are all 55+ boomers. Also, don't hang out with boomers they don't believe in vaccines, health or doing anything preventative.

Our family has been focused on how we will keep my 65+ MIL healthy who lives with us.

I'm supposed to be going to a large conference with 14K+ people in two weeks. :rip:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i think im gonna work from home tomorrow (i live in switzerland)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

all you dopes had to do was shut up about whether beans are better than lentils and so on, but no, you had to keep gunning to be right

you all killed each other for this! there's no humanity left! we've been wiped out over an argument about beans! <:gonk:>

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pigz posted:

As a goon, I go to work, buy weed, and go home, so I don't have to worry about getting sick :smuggo:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

my dad is getting all wound up about this and doing a lot of prep. how can i prepare just in case this ends up becoming an issue in the US?

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019
CDC going to report hundreds of cases

numbers going to tank

trump going to poo poo himself again