Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah to be fair the first and last time I tried Crackdown 1 was like five years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Loved Origins, and Odyssey, but those were the only Assassin Creed games I enjoyed and actually finished. Really excited for Ragnarok unless UBISoft does something stupid like have multiplayer, or some sort of games as a service feature in it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I have not played Black Flag and I'm sure it is fine but I can't forgive the fact that Ubisoft included Benjamin Hornigold in a pirate video game and didn't include that one time his crew got so piss drunk they threw their hats into the sea and so he attacked another ship and only wanted their hats so his crew's heads would stay warm.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Andrast posted:

Crackdown was ok for the time. I doubt I would like it these days.

Crackdown 3 proved that most people think the same way

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Black Flag will always be great just because the entire thing is about a pirate trying desperately to escape the plot of Assassin's Creed, only to tragically fail

"Please Edward, please give a poo poo about something, look at this cool ahistorical thing", the templar and assassin cry out, as Edward steers his boat directly into another island to flee the sirens

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I hated Unity way more than 3 and it is part of the 10% I never finished. The last time I gave it the benefit of the doubt a fell through the 'solid' floor and died during the first assassination mission. When I reloaded I got permanently stuck in a tree. This was about a year ago.
3 might be dull but at least it functions.

Everyone is always saying this, but I played a year or two ago on PS4 and only had ones glitch were a bunch if textures didn't load in a rift correctly. This was after a 5-6 hour session though. Were you on PC? If I had I call out Unity it would be on the bland plot and incomprehensible riddles questline. Sorry Ubi, I don't have a degree in French History and Architecture.

Anyone who liked Black Flag should play Rogue. The plot is a little weaker, but it's more sailing with the absolute most fun tool set of any of the games. Underslung Grenade Laucher on a Air Rifle is borderline broken, but amazingly fun.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zushio posted:

Anyone who liked Black Flag should play Rogue. The plot is a little weaker, but it's more sailing with the absolute most fun tool set of any of the games. Underslung Grenade Laucher on a Air Rifle is borderline broken, but amazingly fun.

Not that the two have to be mutually exclusive but I've heard that Rogue is also a game that is basically about killing off anyone you liked from Black Flag, is that true?

Zushio
May 8, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Not that the two have to be mutually exclusive but I've heard that Rogue is also a game that is basically about killing off anyone you liked from Black Flag, is that true?

I think you finish off one guy who was still alive from Black Flag. But I think it also features some characters from 3 as a lead up. Not many people really made it out of Black Flag alive. You do play as a former Assassin turned Assassin Hunter though.

I played it significantly after 3 and BF, so I am a little foggy on who was who.

Edit: Oh right, just double checked, and yes, it is a well liked character from Black Flag you kill. Also, I forgot the final mission is also the beginning of Unity from a different perspective.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 25, 2020

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Andrast posted:

It has too many phases to be fun imo

i wanted to fight a boss with a dozen or more phases

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Phantasium posted:

i wanted to fight a boss with a dozen or more phases

Make a boss where every time you hit the boss it changes to a new phase and there are like 50 of them

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Which video game boss has the most phases

I can't think of any with more than like 3

e: the most I can think of is sevenforce from Gunstar Heroes on expert where you have to fight all seven forms

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 25, 2020

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Which video game boss has the most phases

I can't think of any with more than like 3

Final boss of dq7 surprised me with a fourth phase I did not prepare for. That was fun.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

its been a long time since i played through okami but didn't you have to kick all 12 zodiac signs out of him

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

its been a long time since i played through okami but didn't you have to kick all 12 zodiac signs out of him

Why doesn't Okami kick the cancer out of everything else while they're at it

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Help Im Alive posted:

e: the most I can think of is sevenforce from Gunstar Heroes on expert where you have to fight all seven forms
I'm still sad they didn't go with their original plan of implementing Seventy Force in Gunstar Super Heroes.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
AC3 was easily worst in series, but ironically it had a couple of real standout moments. The final assassination at the bar after the big chase is just a brilliant scene, and despite being completely useless for the series the environments were extremely well done.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i have yet to get to it but i think wild arms 3 has a boss with a dozen or more forms

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/coopercooperco/status/1232318090072846337?s=20

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The final boss of Bayonetta has a lot of stages but not all of them involve normal combat and a couple happen after the boss is technically dead (steering her soul into the sun, smashing her corpse so it doesn't impact Earth and cause a mass extinction)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I wonder if there are assassins creed fans out there who have heated arguments about the lore but then i realised the posts in the thread today are the most passionate anyone has got over that series.

most of the arguing is over whether obama was a templar or assassin

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

The final boss of Bayonetta has a lot of stages but not all of them involve normal combat and a couple happen after the boss is technically dead (steering her soul into the sun, smashing her corpse so it doesn't impact Earth and cause a mass extinction)

Can you do the opposite instead?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Lavos from Chrono Trigger has a bunch of phases and I think it depends on how far through the game you are when you fight Lavos but I can't remember for sure.

The final bosses of Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 also have a lot of phases and I assume KH3 is no different.

Kefka has the whole tower of gods thing going on.

Breath of Fire doesn't have any one boss with a lot of phases but for some reason every boss had that weird thing going on where you'd beat them and they wouldn't actually die so you'd have to keep refighting them.

The Dark Souls 3 final boss had several different phases too, I think.

Only had 3 phases but Majora's Mask was a good one.

King K. Rool in DK64

Aquaria's final boss

Joke answer: the first for .hack// games had 8 phases drawn out over 4 games :v:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
https://twitter.com/tessaracts/status/1231726546575974400

There's so many and they're all wonderful.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RBA Starblade posted:

Can you do the opposite instead?

If you fail the first one you get a game over, I'm not sure what happens if you fail the second but probably the same.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the ultimate bosses in FFXIV have a ton of phases

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Do the various jenova fights count?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
To some extent it depends what you mean by phase since sometimes bosses will have subtly different patterns at different hp thresholds

The winner is persona 3 though since the boss has 13 forms, one for each major arcana up to death

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Andrast posted:

It has too many phases to be fun imo

My second-favorite part of that fight was completely downloading the first phase and effortly demolishing a full guard bar in 5 seconds.

My favorite part was when he pulled out an smg and started unloading lol

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Okami's final boss makes you play two more phases of the entire game.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Crackdown 3 proved that most people think the same way

I maintain that that series started going off the rails when they ditched the morphing precinct cars.

Jumping into the fully upgraded cab-over hauler and making the Transformers sound as it turns into a ginormous Mack battering ram was the loving shiz

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

isabelle news

https://twitter.com/titani_um__/status/1229501019421380608

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Saint Freak posted:

Okami's final boss makes you play two more phases of the entire game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Isabelle is a government employee, that pays pretty well even on a municipal level.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Isabelle is a government employee, that pays pretty well even on a municipal level.

And her only extravagances are nice sweaters and good whiskey

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

I was playing around with my phone and I got the idea that the Final Fantasy Tactics eye drop sound effect would be pretty cool for a notification sound. I started googling and was sure that someone mined that game for all its effects already but seems not! :v:

Ripping it from the game files was out of the question because the files aren't really available in forms like eye_drop.wav. People have worked very hard on sorting sound effects from this game over the years but this was not one of them.
I started going through youtube videos of the game in hopes of finding it but had no luck. So after about 2 hours of that I finally just downloaded the game and played it for 2 levels until I could do it myself and record it. I unfortunately captured some music in the background because the game sound controls don't support turning off music at all.

I didn't have very high hopes by the time I started cutting and editing but I was actually pretty happy with the final results.

https://vocaroo.com/6P5WASzzm4d

Frekkie Melody fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 25, 2020

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

could you do that for the dark souls 1 humanity item use sound effect and then shoot the data through a wormhole to 2012 cowcaster to use as a text notification

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

Cowcaster posted:

could you do that for the dark souls 1 humanity item use sound effect and then shoot the data through a wormhole to 2012 cowcaster to use as a text notification

The souls franchise has been on my to-do list so I don't see why not. Besides the wormhole part anyway.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I learned that Isabelle is named "Melinda" in Germany, "Marie" in France, and "Canela" (Cinammon) in Spain

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I learned that Isabelle is named "Melinda" in Germany, "Marie" in France, and "Canela" (Cinammon) in Spain

Her Japanese name, Shizue (しずえ?) may be interpreted as "quiet branch," perhaps referring to the tranquility of an Animal Crossing town. It can also be derived from her dog breed name "Shih Tzu".

Her Spanish name is Canela (Cinnamon), a symbol of wisdom and good health. "Can" (Can-ela) is also another word for dog in Spain, and it is used in the Spanish version of the game with her brother's name (Candrés) as a pun.

Her French name is Marie, a pun on the word Mairie (Town Hall) or Maire (Mayor).

Her Italian name is Fuffi, a pun on the fact that she is a dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

her vacation name, juicelord69, is a reference to her love of vacation juice and the sex number