Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

bird food bathtub posted:

*shrug*

I'm not wealthy I don't have a stock portfolio. Number go up, number go down, doesn't mean poo poo to me.

It does, just not directly.

If stocks are down, companies may lay people off, and it also means that it may impact Trumps approval(though I won't hold my breath).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pence and Ivanka hovering over a Trump on the verge of tears playing here-comes-the-airplane

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

CmdrRiker posted:

Isn't the standard flu supposed to be more dangerous? Why is this still inciting so much panic?

Well people people don't know how bad it's going to be and that should cause some serious concern.

But a second "flu" on the yearly schedule is actually pretty bad.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

haveblue posted:

Pence and Ivanka hovering over a Trump on the verge of tears all fours playing here-comes-the-airplane horse

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

CmdrRiker posted:

Isn't the standard flu supposed to be more dangerous? Why is this still inciting so much panic?

One of the reasons I've heard it's simply because it's new.

The flu is something everyone knows about and we expect it every year. This is a new widespread illness. This is :siren:THE CORONAVIRUS:siren:

Also the media latching onto fear culture for clicks isn't helping.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Jaxyon posted:

Well people people don't know how bad it's going to be and that should cause some serious concern.

Don't we know how bad it is going to be based upon empirical evidence from China? Does it have a vaccine yet?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Jaxyon posted:

What exactly happened with the swine flu

I know it was a similar thing - it was a second flu going around

I literally have no idea if it's still out there or what

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CmdrRiker posted:

people are stupid and very stupid about perceived danger/risk vs actual danger/risk.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cr0y posted:

The DOW is in loving freefall right now.

It should be, Larry Kudlow said everything is fine.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I’ll believe the recession has arrived when the Dread God “DaNumbas” is down five days in a row. :colbert:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

CmdrRiker posted:

The standard fearmongering, but realistically if we could stop something like the flu from being a problem in the first place, it would be great. So even if it's less dangerous, not having one more pretty dangerous thing in the world is very good

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

I guess I am seeing some recent articles that claim that its starting to be a bit worse than the standard flu.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The constitution says right to bear arms, not only firearms. Yet the 2nd amendment advocates never speak out against bomb control!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

CmdrRiker posted:

I guess I am seeing some recent articles that claim that its starting to be a bit worse than the standard flu.

I think this article has the most comprehensive, researched, non-alarmist take:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/covid-vaccine/607000/

Like it will be bad, especially because Trump has kneecapped the CDC, but it's not going to be leaving people dead left and right like Spanish Flu or whatever.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1231630399455010819

lol i want the full list

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Chamale posted:

The constitution says right to bear arms, not only firearms. Yet the 2nd amendment advocates never speak out against bomb control!
Boobs are ordnance, not arms.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

CmdrRiker posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but since many people will have mild to zero obvious immune response, it will spread very quickly and relatively unnoticed.

Which really sucks for those that have weak immune systems or overpowering immune responses.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This is a fantastic typo.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

cr0y posted:

This is the ninth time in the past 12 months where I've been expected to balk at a thousand-point drop. Even with the loss, it's still at 27,171, and each and every time it's happened it rebounded within a week. Number go up, number go down, number detached from reality so idgaf.

Tell me when it's been down 10% for over a month and maybe I might believe it's an indicator of something, but not until goddamned then.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Mat Cauthon posted:

Like it will be bad, especially because Trump has kneecapped the CDC, but it's not going to be leaving people dead left and right like Spanish Flu or whatever.

Pretty much. New flu strains are pretty bad, but we can anticipate them after the initial panic.

A new family of annual respiratory illnesses that kill as many as the flu is not a good thing. It's not catastrophic either, but not cool.

Of course, as always, IANAEpidemiologist.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rent-A-Cop posted:

A technically correct statement even with the typo

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Huh, so that’s they mean by bomb-rear end titties?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
:laffo:

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1232352024748052484

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Rampant Dwickery posted:

This is the ninth time in the past 12 months where I've been expected to balk at a thousand-point drop. Even with the loss, it's still at 27,171, and each and every time it's happened it rebounded within a week. Number go up, number go down, number detached from reality so idgaf.

Tell me when it's been down 10% for over a month and maybe I might believe it's an indicator of something, but not until goddamned then.

let me tell you about a bridge i have for sell.

Also let me tell you about how Glenn Beck is totes for reals so sawry for being a piece of poo poo this time.(goons have actual learned this lesson, maybe they can learn that stocknumbers dont mean anything unless they do a thing for a whole week((and more)) )

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Mat Cauthon posted:

Thank you. That article helps.

It’s not that the corona virus is as serious illness once infected (minus babies and elderly). Instead its muted effects can contribute to a worry of rapid evolution and spread of the illness. That makes people worry about how bad it can be in theory. Then the media goes too far and incites panic

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Sounds like disloyalty to me! Time to hire a new doctor!

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

PhazonLink posted:

dont buy masks and gloves, actual medical professional and hospitals need those.

Personal Protection Equipment actuall needs a tiny bit of training and the fact you a nontrained person will likely be constantly be touching and retouching your face to reposition the mask is bad.
like wash you hands with soap (30ish seconds water temp doesnt mater)

I'll just resort to wearing my gas mask 24/7

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think bubble sales will go up. Time to invest in a bubble company!’

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

CmdrRiker posted:

Because it's new and we're still figuring parts of it out, so of course there's a panic on the same magnitude as a white suburb when the first PoC family moves in

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Triskelli posted:

Huh, so that’s they mean by bomb-rear end titties?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Not enough paper in the world for it

nerox
May 20, 2001

CmdrRiker posted:

It’s not that the corona virus is as serious illness once infected (minus babies and elderly). Instead its muted effects can contribute to a worry of rapid evolution and spread of the illness. That makes people worry about how bad it can be in theory. Then the media goes too far and incites panic

It's weird that when I read about corona virus all I can think about is the game Pandemic and the easiest way to win is to make a virus without any kind of symptoms but spreads easily without detection. Of course in that game you can then spontaneously evolve every case to cause heart failure which doesn't really work in real life.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

cr0y posted:

1 - no it isn't
2 - it's not an acronym.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

nerox posted:

It's weird that when I read about corona virus all I can think about is the game Pandemic and the easiest way to win is to make a virus without any kind of symptoms but spreads easily without detection. Of course in that game you can then spontaneously evolve every case to cause heart failure which doesn't really work in real life.

you sure about that?

(maybe we're a lovely flash game simulation)

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Holy poo poo, a Mazinger Z reference. Will wonders never cease?

Also, excellent username/post combo.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

CmdrRiker posted:

Well yes, but keep in mind that it is also still more deadly than the flu by quite a bit (Though still pretty low percent wise, especially if you are not old!). Given how fast it spreads its going to end up killing a poo poo ton of people if it can keep spreading.

We are getting better numbers though as it spreads which will also help us figure out exactly how bad this .

This is without getting into other effects like say how many people it leaves in critical condition vs local capabilities to handle said people.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 25, 2020

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

nerox posted:

Sure, but even if it doesn't kill people, if you're out of work for an extended period and a whole bunch of other people are also out of work for an extended period then:
1) most people are living paycheck to paycheck
2) most things are just in time supply
3) most people don't have money to visit the hospital when they're really sick

The usual course it has is about a 7-10 days in people, more like 2 weeks if admitted to a hospital. That's a long time (and a lot of money) considering the above statements.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Velocity Raptor posted:

One of the reasons I've heard it's simply because it's new.

The flu is something everyone knows about and we expect it every year. This is a new widespread illness. This is :siren:THE CORONAVIRUS:siren:

Also the media latching onto fear culture for clicks isn't helping.

Standard Flu Mortality is .1%. Covid is 2%, heavily skewed towards those over 50 or with preexisting lung conditions or other poor health, as it kills via pneumonia.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

haveblue posted:

Pence and Ivanka hovering over a Trump on the verge of tears playing here-comes-the-airplane

You're assuming a lot for there to be tears involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Realistically the markets are going to go down this quarter mainly do to many industries not running or running at a lower rate. The severity really has more to do with how long China is out and how badly the virus hits other countries. With the Fed trying to keep goosing the economy and the Trump admin continually artificially propping up parts that is either failing or in trouble there is a real question of how they would be able to deal with even a small recession.

Also this is all happening at some of the worst time for Trump as the bad first quarter reports will be in the Spring which will take away a big talking point through most of the summer if it rebounds then. I would predict that the economy will be down until the Fall at earliest. Granted I am not a economics expert just relying on my college classes and books I read so I am sure someone with more education could explain to me how I am wrong.