Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

pretty sure in this scenario belgium goes chud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

double nine posted:

The name of the party + the red color made Belgian chuds assume the Republicans were a communist party.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Banana Canada posted:

I'm the electoral math that proves -1 = 4900

Weird things happen when imaginary numbers get involved.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

double nine posted:

Belgium went chud when its political landscape was reduced to just a duel between the Racist Party (NVA) and the Very Racist Party (VB).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Belgium went chud when its political landscape was reduced to just a duel between the Racist Party (NVA) and the Very Racist Party (VB).

hey now, there are not one but several parties who are Very Concerned about the racists they vote in lockstep with. Don't count those out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Delete your account.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Goddamn Belgium has the population of Ohio but only gets 3 electoral votes?? The Electoral College is worse than I thought it was.

This is actually weirdly correct! New states typically get one Rep and two Senators upon admission, regardless of their population. They don't get the rest of their Reps until the next census and apportionment. So any newly admitted states, such as Belgium, would have three Electoral College votes until 2021! :eng101:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Quorum posted:

This is actually weirdly correct! New states typically get one Rep and two Senators upon admission, regardless of their population. They don't get the rest of their Reps until the next census and apportionment. So any newly admitted states, such as Belgium, would have three Electoral College votes until 2021! :eng101:
But Belgium was part of the United States in 1790!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm the state name switcheroo in the South

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Quorum posted:

Oklahoma got five representatives in the House at the time it was admitted to the union in 1907.

Texas and California got two each in 1845 and 1850, respectively.

Those were somewhat special cases, being admitted as states with significant population, rather than growing into statehood as territories, but I don’t think they’re exceptions to apportionment.

I think it’s normal to give large new states a delegation proportional to their estimated population.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 23, 2020

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This feels like a xkcd comic

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sign languages of the world. Quite a few are based on American Sign Language. The "no data" countries reflect how poorly-documented some local sign languages are -- even if they're not using something formal and documented, deaf Iranians are definitely communicating somehow.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Awww... for a moment I thought that all yellow countries were (for some bizarre reason) using the same language.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Kennel posted:

Awww... for a moment I thought that all yellow countries were (for some bizarre reason) using the same language.
Russian sign language and American Sign Language are both forms of French sign language which is why theyre called clusters instead of families. The founder of deaf education in the US was a French immigrant named Galludet who combined the FSL of his homeland with the sign language of marthas Vineyard which had a very large deaf population due to inbreeding

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If I had to guess, American sign language is probably being spread places by charity organizations providing support to deaf communities that the national government won't. I have no idea how well sign languages work in places with entirely separate spoken/written languages than the place that originated the sign language.

There's also places that deliberately intend to keep their deaf community marginalized by not acknowledging their communication or worse. Or maybe not deliberately, and just the arbitrary carelessness of oppressive autocracy continually failing to meet human needs, who knows.

https://iranhumanrights.org/2018/10/irans-deaf-community-launches-campaign-urging-government-to-end-discrimination/

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Dutch Sign Language as used in the Netherlands: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Sign_Language
Flemish Sign Language as used in the Dutch speaking part of Belgium. This is apparently quite different from Dutch Sign Language: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flemish_Sign_Language
French-Belgian Sign Language as used in the French speaking part of Belgium, this one is apparently very close to Flemish Sign Language. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Belgian_Sign_Language

All these have formal rules and there are schools where you can learn them.

Why did the mapmakers slap "no data" there while this information is just publicly available?

Interestingly, there seems to be a separate thing from Dutch Sign Language called "Signed Dutch". This is a sign language that uses the grammar of spoken Dutch and is probably easier to learn for people who learned spoken Dutch first. Dutch Sign Language uses its own grammar entirely, I guess they have a grammar that makes more sense for signing quickly.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 23, 2020

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

There's a similar thing called Signed Exact English that's ASL signs with English grammar. I can imagine these being useful with people who need to learn a sign language later in life and/or people who have trouble learning languages in general.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I'm surprised that Austria is not using the German sign language but Poland is

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

German Sign Language family includes Poland and is coloured in brown :raise:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Fully extending your arm, facing forward, with the palm down and fingers touching means heil Hitler.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

At least within Germany there are also multiple sign language dialects, a good friend of mine works as a translator in Berlin and told me that Bavarian sign language can be nigh incomprehensible to her

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

System Metternich posted:

At least within Germany there are also multiple sign language dialects, a good friend of mine works as a translator in Berlin and told me that Bavarian sign language can be nigh incomprehensible to her

So just like non-sign language then.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Theres an isolated community of bedouins in the Negev that have a very large percentage of deaf people thats started spontaneously developing its own sign language among deaf children because its so isolated from population centers that israeli and palestinian sign language never spread there. Like half the towns linguists and anthropologists studying them because its the only way to observe the development of language that doesnt involve human rights abuses.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Like half the towns linguists and anthropologists studying them because its the only way to observe the development of language that doesnt involve human rights abuses.

Before that I think Nicaraguan Sign Language was the prior study since in the 80s the government set up a school for the deaf and a bunch of deaf children were together for the first time.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Various deaf communities making up their own language is actually surprisingly common. Or at least it used to be, I don't know how globalization interacts with that.

Also, I want to add that most sign language are completely unrelated to spoken languages. As I remember it, American sign language is completely different from British sign language for instance, since they developed independently with an ocean between them. Of course, modern words still get loaned, like how "computer" is basically the same in every language (I know Icelandic and Finnish made their own cool words, as did others).

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Samosa supremacy imo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Samoas supremacy IMO

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Little Brownie wins 2/3.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ENHANCE

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/leafcrunch/status/1232097934503796736

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Wherever the bones of Henry Hudson lie, they just got up and danced.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

double nine posted:

????????????????????????

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Samoas supremacy IMO

oh poo poo I live in ABC territory and just thought that all girl scout cookies got changed to be worse some years ago

whatever i'll just keep getting the generic ones that were clearly named by a lawyer

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

A Paradox gamer's worst nightmare:

The Republic of German-Austria which existed for a year.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

this thread is escaping

https://twitter.com/dylanmatt/status/1233086720498950147

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So the only explanation I can think of is that they had some kind of complex dynamic program to place the state abbreviations onto the map, and something went wrong and jostled the array.

It's like the map equivalent of pronunciation guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

What a weird map. Is not "red states.txt"