Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm eyeballing this one but I've never done Animal Crossing before. How do you get new villagers? It sounds like I could have a bunch of possible ones (including Isabelle?) but how do I actually have them. I know NH hasn't revealed all the deets yet, I mean the general gameplay flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They show up randomly, flavoured as an in game visit of some kind and then you can try to make friends with them and get them to move to your town, basically.

They also try to move out in much the same fashion.

You could invite specific ones with amiibo cards later but that's not as fun imho.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 25, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Island creation looks neat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It probably isn't hard to make new villagers given they're palette swaps of an existing model with their own starting house.

New Leaf introduced two new personality types for villagers, making for eight in total. (Four male and four female) Remains to be seen if New Horizons will add more.

Infinitum posted:

Island creation looks neat

Some interesting details there presuming those are valid maps; you can have multiple river sources and they won't necessarily end in the ocean, islands tend to have back walls of rocks, which seem to be the same for three out of four of those? Though yeah, those might be mock ups, especially since one of them doesn't have a visible jetty. (unless it's behind the D)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Some interesting details there presuming those are valid maps
It's loss.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Jet Jaguar posted:

OK, so after listening, I think the 1AM song on the original GameCube soundtrack is the best. But I might have to listen to all of them again repeatedly just to make sure.

It's really good music for coding, which I would not have expected.

Counter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F9ukR_d1mY

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my favorite song from the original is 8am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnqGALKqm4s

it's in my top 5 video game songs ever

3am, 4pm and 5pm are also all really, really great. i liked that new leaf's 5pm music was sort of a redo of the original's 5pm music.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nessus posted:

I'm eyeballing this one but I've never done Animal Crossing before. How do you get new villagers? It sounds like I could have a bunch of possible ones (including Isabelle?) but how do I actually have them. I know NH hasn't revealed all the deets yet, I mean the general gameplay flow.

Good news! (or bad news?) Isabelle is a special villager, whose role in New Horizons seems to be similar to that of her mayoral assistant role in New Leaf. While she can't take the role of a neighboring villager, she is guaranteed to "live" on your island, and if her huge popularity in New Leaf is of any indication, she'll likely be present for many milestone events. She will never leave you :swoon:

If a villager visits your island and you like their first impression, sweet talk them (if presented) to get them to move onto the island. To make sure they don't get any ideas of moving out, try to interact with them at least once a calendar day, if you see them out and about (talk, give gifts, FETCH QUEST, visit their home and don't stand them up on playdate appointments, etc.) This is quite lenient; in New Leaf you could really stretch this to like once a week, and they'd still often be perfectly friendly towards you. I think there was a mechanic in New Leaf where you could basically reach "marriage" status (except not like that) when a villager gifts you a framed picture of themselves -- I believe they were guaranteed to never move away at that point.

On the flipside, if you want a particular villager to move out, just ignore them. They'll eventually approach you (or send you a letter) stating they're thinking of moving. Just continue ignoring them or tell them to kick rocks.

enojy fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Feb 25, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Alt pick up their house and throw it in the ocean

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Hit them with a bug net to piss them off faster.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

So have gyroids not shown up anywhere in the previews so far? My little sister is freaking out that they won't be a thing and I don't have any evidence to actually say they are still around.

I like that they're not showing everything. I have a friend that has only played Pocket Camp and has no idea that K.K. is important.

If PAX is getting to play a demo this weekend, is it possible that they release a demo on the day the AC Switch comes out, a week earlier than the game?

On the map in the back of the airport, it shows the hidden beach that's on the back of every island, and a smaller island just off of it. That beach is only reachable after you can terraform, so what kind of endgame island could that be?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dazerbeams posted:

Hit them with a bug net to piss them off faster.
Does this actually work? Because I sure as hell tried it in NL and had no luck.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

It got me again.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Does this actually work? Because I sure as hell tried it in NL and had no luck.

IIRC it actually backfires because they go all Ned Flanders and think they need to try harder.

Eventually you got a roundabout way to get rid of villagers with the Amiibo update, where you can scan any villager-inviting amiibo or card (this includes some of the Splatoon ones) and get the option of inviting the villager to move into your town, where they'll replace one of your current villagers if you've reached max population. Dunno if there'll be an equivalent in New Horizons, but it wouldn't surprise me if they want to be able to sell more Amiibo card packs.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
how am i supposed to build my communist utopia village if there's no train anymore?!? where train?!?

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Jet Jaguar posted:

OK, so after listening, I think the 1AM song on the original GameCube soundtrack is the best. But I might have to listen to all of them again repeatedly just to make sure.

It's really good music for coding, which I would not have expected.

I'm gonna have to go with 1pm or 7am. I'd love if we could unlock or switch to earlier soundtracks.

Also retroTV is the best.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Achernar posted:

I'm gonna have to go with 1pm or 7am. I'd love if we could unlock or switch to earlier soundtracks.

Also retroTV is the best.

my ideal scenario regarding music would be to just let us choose the music for each hour from any previous games

i'd personally just switch entirely to gamecube (unless the new soundtrack has some bangers), but i know others have a lot of affinity for other ac soundtracks

c'mon nintendo you're letting us customize like everything else in the game, just do it!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

enojy posted:

On the flipside, if you want a particular villager to move out, just ignore them. They'll eventually approach you (or send you a letter) stating they're thinking of moving. Just continue ignoring them or tell them to kick rocks.

New Leaf didn't work like this, what happens is that if you ignore a villager for too long they cue up their "I'm angry at being ignored" line and they kinda hang onto that until they get a chance to use it. They won't want to leave because they won't get the "!" over their head from seeing you because they aren't on good terms with you.

Instead all your favorites will want to move out (and I've had animals with picture frames want to leave before) and the unloved one will just kind of stomp around angry forever.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Internet Kraken posted:

So have gyroids not shown up anywhere in the previews so far? My little sister is freaking out that they won't be a thing and I don't have any evidence to actually say they are still around.

Now you're an adult and can make a much more elaborate, detailed dick joke though.

Only Loid showing up as the construction guy still for various projects.

We really haven't seen much furniture overall, or inside houses much. I can't imagine they'd get rid of gyroids though, they're so iconic to the franchise.

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs
is the slingshot confirmed yet?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

prepuce repurposed posted:

is the slingshot confirmed yet?

Yeah, you see them shoot down a balloon in the direct.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've been thinking a little bit about the kind of island I want to have and I definitely want to built it up to feel like a small community and city; but the more I watch these commercials and videos the more inclined I am to keep a tiny corner of it feeling as natural as possible. Maybe like a little park. Even better if it has a copse of trees in it, with a little waterfall in the middle. That's all I want, really. That and for Nate and Melba to move in.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I've played NL sporadically and have left my villagers for several months on end every year but I still have the original 4 I started out with several years ago. The ones that have moved out were villagers I barely interacted with. :shrug:
I don't know how people lose their faves.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My town will essentially be Watermia from Illusion of Gaia, I've decided

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm trying to decide whether to continue my traditional name for my town (Traverse Town), or try something new like Fillory or Koholint. I can't think of any other fictional places populated by a diverse range of talking animals.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I saw bamboo shoots on one of those roulette islands and it made me want a bamboo forest on the highest tier of my island.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Idia posted:

I don't know how people lose their faves.

All it takes is missing their dialogue where they alert you that they are going to move out. :(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also in New Leaf at least the move out event heavily favors older villagers and can't even trigger on the most recent move in.

This is in contrast to the rest of the series. Heck the original Animal Crossing had your first 13 villagers locked in with one of the last two cycling out without warning every 10 days or so.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
If I'm in a hotel on March 20, will I need to connect to WiFi to start the game if I have it preloaded?

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fun Times! posted:

If I'm in a hotel on March 20, will I need to connect to WiFi to start the game if I have it preloaded?

yeah it has to check to see if the game is released I believe

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
My New Leaf town was Teen Town. Hopefully "Teen Island" doesn't sound to Epstein-y.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eventually you got a roundabout way to get rid of villagers with the Amiibo update, where you can scan any villager-inviting amiibo or card (this includes some of the Splatoon ones) and get the option of inviting the villager to move into your town, where they'll replace one of your current villagers if you've reached max population. Dunno if there'll be an equivalent in New Horizons, but it wouldn't surprise me if they want to be able to sell more Amiibo card packs.

At the end of the Direct they showed Amiibo/Card support in the game. There might be a new print run of the Amiibo cards coming soon, as both Nintendo of Japan and UK are re-stocking the amiibo cards. I'm definitely down to try and re-roll the real life gacha to see if I can get some cool villagers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie4WZCLbtVs&t=1452s

So Nessus if there's a villager you really REALLY want to have around then you can buy an Amiibo/Amiibo Card of that villager and scan them into the game, go meet them at the Campgrounds, and try to invite them to move in. Some people aren't a fan of this method because it's pretty immersion breaking but if you just have to have say Kyle the Wolf or Bunnie the Rabbit in your town then you can guarantee it this way. The one big downside is that they come in trading card packs so you're dealing with the luck of the draw as certain villagers are exclusive to certain "series" of packs, or praying for the mercy of the marketplace as some villagers go for ludicrous prices on Amazon and eBay.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Two Worlds posted:

My New Leaf town was Teen Town. Hopefully "Teen Island" doesn't sound to Epstein-y.

As long as you don't invite Tortimer to the Island everything will be fine.

https://youtu.be/5xAK-X0RA5o?t=41

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Some interesting details there presuming those are valid maps; you can have multiple river sources and they won't necessarily end in the ocean, islands tend to have back walls of rocks, which seem to be the same for three out of four of those? Though yeah, those might be mock ups, especially since one of them doesn't have a visible jetty. (unless it's behind the D)
If you want to look at real islands, this is what we actually saw in the direct:

So yeah, up to three river sources, and rivers can end in ponds, which is weird but neat.

Every island starts you between two rivers, limiting you to about a quarter of the island before you get the vaulting pole. Every island has that little bit of beach up north. Every island has a dock. And interestingly every island has a bit of grass that juts out into the ocean.

I find these maps really compelling for some reason. I can't wait to work with some of this interesting geography!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the one thing i don't see is a lake, so i wonder what that means for fish that have been exclusive to lakes in past games

maybe river sources will take the place of lakes

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the one thing i don't see is a lake, so i wonder what that means for fish that have been exclusive to lakes in past games

maybe river sources will take the place of lakes

There are ponds.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Captain Monkey posted:

There are ponds.

ponds are not lakes and have a different set of fish in them than lakes

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Good riddance to lakes. It was too awkward to see/catch fish in them. Or at least it was in the lakes I remember playing with.

I'd be happy if there was just pond/river/ocean for the different fish types.

You could always dig yourself a lake if you wanted. I wonder how it'll figure pond/river distinctions if you can essentially turn one into the other. It's going to be kind of interesting to see if people end up min-maxing landscape designs for fishing, like how we all made a ring of tropical trees around our island, whether we liked the look or not, because it was the best way to get bugs to spawn and grind money.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly I kind of hope there are certain bugs/fish that only show up once you do terraforming projects to create habitats for em. That kind of stuff gives people ideas for what to add to their villages.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I want to fill my house and village with as many plants as possible. I want to be Poison Ivy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs
thinkin bout the pond smelts of yesteryear rn :allears: