Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I showed you my pile please respond

New thread title please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I just want the deck to be better than it is, I'm not competing or something like that.

I don't understand. So you can't build a UB deck because there isn't already one?

It's not that you can't build one, he more means that there isn't an established competitive UB deck. If you're wanting to make one for an FNM, that's fine. You need direction for what you want though, like what kind of strategy, or what cards do you want to build around, etc. Posting a list with no context doesn't help and saying "make it better" doesn't mean much when nobody knows what you want to do.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

little munchkin posted:

This is not true. It gives the ability to the creature it's attached to, so the creature's controller gets to choose.

The power in Woe Strider comes from being able to recast it. You play it, your opponent kills it, you get to recast it, your opponent has to kill it again, etc. etc. Tymaret might be better if you really need to pad out your life total, but having repeated access to a large body is quite powerful.

Nobody has any idea how to respond because you just posted a decklist with zero context. Is it a casual kitchen table deck? Is it an attempt to get into standard? Some kind of sealed league? We have no idea what you're trying to compete against, and what rules and/or budget restraints there are in terms of improving it. Be more clear about what your goals are for the deck, and what sort of resources you have access to in order to improve it.

Thanks!

Okay that's what I thought for Inevitable End based on logic but it got played at pre-release and judge ruled it the other way round? Knew I had to double check that cause it never made sense to me.

I see. I like Tymaret for his toughness and I can use Wicked Guardian on him easily. You think it needs to be either/or?

Standard primarily a kitchen table deck but I want the option to bring it to FNM if I ever end up going. I'm open to all suggestions, if I don't want to spend the money I'll find a substitute. I have a bunch of legal UB cards for it so it's at least a bit likely I have something that suggested.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I should've quoted my original post about it. I like the Thassa blink and I guess I want it to do that more than other stuff? But if there's a better route to take it that's fine. I've never built a deck before.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Okay that's what I thought for Inevitable End based on logic but it got played at pre-release and judge ruled it the other way round? Knew I had to double check that cause it never made sense to me.

Yeah, for auras they used to say "When creature deals damage, gain life." or something, but now they usually grant abilities to the creature, so that whoever controls the creature also controls any effects/abilities. Of course there are always exceptions like Dreadful Apathy.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I just realized scryfall explains that rule at the bottom of the card's page. :doh: It doesn't matter but the judge ruled without glancing at the card and I didn't appreciate it!

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Mat Cauthon posted:

New thread title please.

please

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Thanks!

I see. I like Tymaret for his toughness and I can use Wicked Guardian on him easily. You think it needs to be either/or?

Standard primarily a kitchen table deck but I want the option to bring it to FNM if I ever end up going. I'm open to all suggestions, if I don't want to spend the money I'll find a substitute. I have a bunch of legal UB cards for it so it's at least a bit likely I have something that suggested.

It's fine as is for a kitchen table deck, you can add more cards as you open more boosters or trade, don't worry about it too much.

If you want to bring a deck to FNM, I'd encourage you to look up the current popular / best performing decks on websites such as https://mtgazone.com/mtg-arena-standard-decks-metagame-tier-list/ . See if any fancy your playstyle and buy the singles for them. From what you have so far you could start a decent mono-black deck.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

WalrusWhiskers posted:

It's fine as is for a kitchen table deck, you can add more cards as you open more boosters or trade, don't worry about it too much.

If you want to bring a deck to FNM, I'd encourage you to look up the current popular / best performing decks on websites such as https://mtgazone.com/mtg-arena-standard-decks-metagame-tier-list/ . See if any fancy your playstyle and buy the singles for them. From what you have so far you could start a decent mono-black deck.

I was beating my friend consistently for a while then I gave/traded him some cards to improve his deck and he started mopping the floor with me! It'd be helpful to know what cards don't work at all, what to generally to keep an eye out for/add, and if there's something missing (not enough instants or sorcery, not enough removal, etc), too many lands/not enough. Sorry if this is obnoxious.

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 25, 2020

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Perry Mason Jar posted:

There's a 4-of card limit in Magic, and you should take full advantage of it so you see the cards that make your deck work more often. If you like the plays with Lampad, you could get 4x Cauldron Familiar and 4x Witch's Oven. They're uncommons so they're very cheap. I'll be honest, most of the good food token generators are in green, so you might swap out the blue, but the most expensive food token card is Gilded Goose at $3 each. Might be a good start!

Edit:

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I should've quoted my original post about it. I like the Thassa blink and I guess I want it to do that more than other stuff? But if there's a better route to take it that's fine. I've never built a deck before.

I like blink effects too. Thassa is expensive, but she's the best blink spell in Standard right now. There's Flicker of Fate and Teferi's Time Twist, but both are one shot instants. You can try some things to get more uses out of them like going red for Feather, the Redeemed, or getting them back with Mystic Sanctuary, but it's pretty slow and the pricey Thassa is always the best thing you can do for blinking so you'd want at least two more.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 25, 2020

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Sorry if this is obnoxious.

well it is :shobon: as gently caress tho

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
ok sorry

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Mmm quite, allow me to pull up the records of your request sire

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Perry Mason Jar

If you just want general deck ideas there are resources like https://deckstats.net/decks/f/standard/?lng=en or https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/custom/standard#paper that have a bunch of user submitted decks. However you should be aware that most of them aren't competitive, or even built using sound fundamentals.

Please rank these statements:
*I want to build a deck that uses only cards I own
*I want to build the deck myself rather than get a list online
*I want to do a particular color combo
*I want to do a particular archetype/combo of cards
*I want to have a chance to do well at an FNM

It's pretty hard to build anything approaching a reasonable Standard deck from the cards you'll have at hand. You're building a bigger/better limited deck rather than a true constructed deck.

Here's the principles I'd use to build a list from a big pile of cards like that. They won't get you anything approaching a competitive Standard deck, but they should get you something that can at least play games against other budget brews.

A) Know your general gameplan. Is it to go under people, out power them, out grind them, build an engine, or control them?

It sounds like you want to build engines to out grind people with value.

B) Identify key cards/interactions

Thassa + Aliros, Enraptured as a token generation engine is an excellent example here. It's pretty powerful and likely one of the better things you could be doing with a limited cardpool. Atris, Oracle of Half Truths, Gray Merchant of Asphodel, and Blight Breath Catoblepas all also stand out as cards to blink with Thassa in UB from Theros. Thassa's Oracle and Mire Triton are also both fine earlier plays. Woe Strider is a generically good card you can get a little value out of blinking.

Or it's key enablers and payoffs in a more general synergy deck like your self-mill + escape deck. Enablers are Thirst for Meaning and Sage of Mysteries, but I don't see a lot of escape payoffs in UB. Woe Strider is good but I wouldn't jump through a bunch of hoops to escape it repeatedly. The rest are value cards and/or underpowered. UG however has Uro as a payoff for the mill and Setessan Champion as a payoff for the enchantments. There are also some powerful enchantments like the First Iroan Games.

C) Assemble that core of cards, with as many copies of them as you can. Hopefully that's in the range of 10-25 cards. Too few and it might not be enough to reliably do what you want, too many and you're not going to be able to fit the rest of what you need into your deck. Even competitive meta decks usually need to have a few slots outside of their synergies to fill things out, and they tend to have very strong plan As often with cards that double dip into the other roles.

D) Fill out the other parts of your deck. That's your Bombs, Interaction, and Value, at least for now. You want to end up with 35 spells. Choose one color to be the main color - you are allowed spells with double mana costs of that color but not the other, and you can only have one drops of that color.

If you don't have a serious competitive core, it's usually worth still playing some on-color bombs even if they aren't on plan. For UB specifically, any Ashiok, Nightmare Muses you may have should definitely be in the deck. The community limited set reviews (https://www.mtgcommunityreview.com/theros-beyond-death) are good resource to figure out bombs, consider anything on color with an A- or better rating and some of the B+s. But remember that constructed is faster than limited so expensive cards are worse. And that the difference between 4 and 5 is less than 5 and 6 is less than 6 and 7.

The goal of interaction is to disrupt your opponent's plans and not die to whatever they're doing. While people often use the word to mean cards that directly affect your opponent's cards, any card you have in your deck specifically to block or gain life against aggro should also count here. Theros has a good general discard spell, Agonizing Remorse, along with decent black removal. I wouldn't play the counters because you're going to want to tap out most of the time. UG has a harder time interacting directly, but a couple Warbriar's Blessings might be worth it, along with some good early blockers. UG has more interactive stuff for the sideboard once we get there.

Value is anything that is worth more than a card. That can be drawing multiple cards, it can be dealing with an opponent's card while also doing something for you, or it can be creating multiple relevant bodies. U has good card draw, Escape is naturally value, creature with enters the battlefield effects can be good value, flickering them with Thassa is pure value. More value is good, but you can't focus so much on the future that you lose in the present.

As you're doing this, keep in mind what a reasonable default mana curve for midrangey piles looks like:
10+ spells that cost two or less
more threes than fours
more fours than fives
no more than 7 cards that cost five or more
very few if any sixes
no cards that cost seven or more

This is a general rule of thumb, but you should have specific reasons to violate it.

E) Lands!

Throw in any on color shocklands or temples. For UB that's Watery Grave and Temple of Deceit. As a midrange pile, add taplands (Dismal Backwater then Dimir Guildgate) until you have 5 taplands total between those and the temples. Fill the rest out with basics, you can split 50/50 for now.

You now have 60 cards. Enter/paste them into https://mtgoncurve.com/ with default settings.

There is a full explanation in the About section, but for now what you mainly care about is the P(mana|turn) column. You want that to be 90%+ for all cards that you intend to play on curve, but without a stack of dual lands that's not happening. For now, just fiddle around with the amount of basics of each type until you've maximized your chances in general.

If you have Fabled Passages, add those in place of basics, alternating type. We didn't do that until now because mtgoncurve doesn't do a good job of calculating with them. But in general, your mana gets a bit better for each one you add.

If you have anything lower than about 75%, that's not playable. If your mana is good enough with enough dual lands, you can consider breaking the rules about primary color or reducing the number of taplands.

------------

I hope this helps, sorry I didn't see your first post earlier. I'll try to write up something about sideboards later if you'd like.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 26, 2020

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Thank you so much, very helpful! And yes sideboarding post is welcome. :)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Y’all getting trolled.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Mat Cauthon posted:

New thread title please.

100% the right call

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Perry asked the thread if they should post about trying to get into deckbuilding as a new player here, we said yes. They posted about what they were thinking about and no one responded (again, Perry, sorry I missed this post). They posted a list with their thoughts about it and no one responded.

If some of y'all wanted to help a new player instead of dunking on them, whining about the direction of the game/products, or talking twitter drama, you could have. Some of you are smart people and can figure stuff out from context. The list they posted is obviously a kitchen table pile made with what's on hand. There's general advice to give a player like that, useful questions to ask them.

Perry could've also done a better job of tying it back to their previous posts and asking useful questions, putting less of the work on other people. I'm not saying the way they approached this was perfect. But let's try to talk about the game and help each other when it comes up?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kurieg posted:

Speaking of shiny pringles, has anyone gotten any shipping information on the Godstellations yet? My friend who bought the Year of the Rat bundle got it pretty quickly but i haven't even gotten my arena code from the Constellations bundle.

I received my Godstellations on Thursday. :iiam:

Edit: Also, they should've put Phage in the Women's Day set. I'm still waiting for them to make a Zagorka card. :v:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 26, 2020

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

They posted a list with their thoughts about it and no one responded.

Well he did post in the middle of the US work day and gave the thread less than an hour and a half before his snarky follow up so...

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I NEED this to be the thread title so badly

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I would have liked Alesha in the iwd secret lair but it's pretty obvious that they want well known and popular Multicolor commanders who immediately read as women from their art, and Alesha is maybe two of those four categories

Also whoever said they were taking all the gay off the cards and putting in the story has clearly forgotten about Two Gay Bros Who Built Meletis

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ungulateman posted:

Also whoever said they were taking all the gay off the cards and putting in the story has clearly forgotten about Two Gay Bros Who Built Meletis

The ones from 2016?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Toshimo posted:

The ones from 2016?

do i look like i know how the linear passage of time works

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They need to compensate for the dearth of lgbt characters by making core set 2021 Extremely Gay

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LeafHouse posted:

Well he did post in the middle of the US work day and gave the thread less than an hour and a half before his snarky follow up so...

Honestly, that "snarky reply" is the only thing that would tip me into helping him.

I just have zero ideas on how to help someone that won't buy cards. Other than linking them some beginners sealed guide.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

The Clowner posted:

They need to compensate for the dearth of lgbt characters by making core set 2021 Extremely Gay

core set 2021 is teferi-themed and teferi is both straight and an enormous narc so i think we're out of luck

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I remember when Teferi was the cool rear end in a top hat who put stink bombs in Urza's lab.

Then he stopped being cool.

Now he's just he rear end in a top hat.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

ungulateman posted:

core set 2021 is teferi-themed and teferi is both straight and an enormous narc so i think we're out of luck

the thin blue mage line

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Reminder that WotC printed a Teferi that completely undermines the fundamental premise of the game itself and no one seems to give a drat. Core 2020 Teferi will make the opponent be unable to cast creature spells or some dumb poo poo.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Is there a MtG Arena thread somewhere?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Katana Gomai posted:

Reminder that WotC printed a Teferi that completely undermines the fundamental premise of the game itself and no one seems to give a drat. Core 2020 Teferi will make the opponent be unable to cast creature spells or some dumb poo poo.

There is no doubt in my mind that the people who let Teferi tuck himself are same ones who didn’t actually test Oko’s +1 thoroughly enough

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Big Centipede posted:

Is there a MtG Arena thread somewhere?

you mean like the one linked in the op?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

There is no doubt in my mind that the people who let Teferi tuck himself are same ones who didn’t actually test Oko’s +1 thoroughly enough

they're talking about time raveler's passive.

the thing that really brought how insanely dumb it is into sharp relief for me was remembering dragons of tarkir spoilers and seeing dragonlord dromoka and being like "whoah, cool, my opponents can't cast spells during my turn! sure it's vulnerable to sorcery speed interaction and it's a 6 drop that doesn't immediately impact the board, but what a cool line of text!"

teferi, time raveler's passive is better than dragonlord dromoka's on every single possible axis, is on a way better card relative to its mana cost, and has the added benefit of breaking various effects for no reason other than 'gently caress you'.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Wafflecopper posted:

you mean like the one linked in the op?

Goddamn it

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ungulateman posted:

teferi, time raveler's passive is better than dragonlord dromoka's on every single possible axis, is on a way better card relative to its mana cost, and has the added benefit of breaking various effects for no reason other than 'gently caress you'.
The last part is great, like, he has the wording he has because it's a reference to an older card. That's it. No thought went into it beyond that.

Imagine wanting to reference poorly thought out cards from Time Spiral of all places. But that's Magic: Make a mistake years ago, push it forward anyway, can't fix things. Then worry about reprint equity and print some more pringles.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

ungulateman posted:

well it seems like large corporations are extremely into making LGBT+ people into fuckin cops so maybe it's not so foregone

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

a lot of thoughts on decks
Just wanted to say that this is an excellent post.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok so I read his lore, first of all he sounds less like a cop and more like a complete fuckin doofus. Second of all, him banging jhoira doesn't preclude him from being bi.

Third, his most recent appearance in the war of the spark novel is another interesting Phyrexia tease after Ashiok's discovery of them from Elspeth's memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Do they even mention Phyrexians in War of the Spark?