Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

I want to find whichever loving nerd told politicians it was a good idea to start using the phrase "level up" and throttle them.

If the loving NHS isn't gaining the ability to cast mordenkainen's disjunction it's not loving levelling up.

Thank you.

lol absolute loving weapon

e; 120 is how many Electoral College votes Trump is going to get in November.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
I really have grown to despise the bbc, it’s news and editorial in particular

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Imagine this emoji :stare: but with tired, deadened eyes

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Also this one

It's not "raise" taxes or even "hike" taxes, it's punish the rich

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean technically the axis isn't wrong, in that the NHS remains more "government in charge" than M4A by a good margin. But johnson probably doesn't like that lol.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Also this one

To be fair, punishment is richly deserved, and I would be entirely in favour of punishment for the people who have stolen like... 80% of everything.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Also this one

the middle ground, the third way, the "synthesis" if you will, of the thesis "punish the rich" and the antithesis "cut, cut, cut" is... the guillotine. that's dialectics baby. sometimes the truth really is in the middle

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

dawn foster has blocked me on twitter and i have no idea why lol

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

Imagine this emoji :stare: but with tired, deadened eyes

:deadeye:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

I mean technically the axis isn't wrong, in that the NHS remains more "government in charge" than M4A by a good margin. But johnson probably doesn't like that lol.

Yeah M4A is basically 'what if we privatised all of the Trusts' here so there's a lot that's going to be crap about it but it's hitting the 'free at the point of use' criteria which the USA are going crazy over and it's no surprise.

If Corbyn had gotten in then it would be a very interesting way of comparison between the two systems as they went about getting rid of their private elements and the impacts of them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Also this one

Ah yes, Bloomberg, notably in favour of swinging tax increases on the wealthy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My main objection is the idea that you can punish the rich with taxes, the only definitions of punishment that register in my mind involve either a gallows or Ms A with a mallet.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Ms A with a mallet.

That's not a punishment, some people pay good money for a service like that.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I really have grown to despise the bbc, it’s news and editorial in particular

They had an article a few days ago, about how a quarter of tweets about climate change come from bots.

Buried in the middle, they said that only 5% of tweets advocating action on CC come from bots. But they don't say how many CC-denier tweets come from bots. Seems to me like that might be the important number.

They do say:"Tweets about "fake science" were found to have been written by bots 38% of the time and 28% of tweets about oil company Exxon were posted by bots." Which doesn't actually say if either "fake science" or "exxon" tweets are CC-deniers or not. It's just two random numbers that don't mean very much. And I've tried to dig out the proper numbers, but I can't, because the paper they're quoting from hasn't been published yet, and every single loving paper has that exact same weird sentence word for word that they clearly copied off some press-release (except for the Daily Mail, which naturally, didn't report it at all afaict).

It's like how they had a big dramatic headline about "Fake News Election! All parties are engaged in blatantly making poo poo up, it's an absolute mess, god they're all awful" and then halfway down the article it turns out that the Tories lied on 80% of their online ads, and Labour didn't lie on any.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

My main objection is the idea that you can punish the rich with taxes, the only definitions of punishment that register in my mind involve either a gallows or Ms A with a mallet.

Use the right tools for the job. Why do you think they're called ball peen hammers?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Praseodymi posted:

That's not a punishment, some people pay good money for a service like that.

Yes, but they still often call it punishment :v:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This Jesus fellow! I've heard it said that people are calling him King of the Jews! Imagine all these people calling him King of the Jews, I bet none of them are Jewish. How dare he call himself King of the Jews?! As if the Jewish people can't pick their own king. And I, Dan Hodges, will be the first to put my name forward.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The Deleter posted:

Communist Thoughts not living up to his username in this, the UK Marxism Thread, of all places :colbert:

hey its appropriate

vague disco elysium spoilers

in hit 2019 crpg Disco Elysium you play an amnesiac cop in a post-communist hellhole and can play as a communist yourself
but when you finally meet an actual, hardcore communist character they refuse to see you as a communist at all, you're a bougie cop and its ridiculous to call yourself a communist
a possible response is "hey! i have communist thoughts in my head!" and i felt the game devs staring me right in the eyes

e: then shortly after someone picked the same avatar and custom text as me
and i am not sure they know this but we are now deadly foes

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 25, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Anyway.

A few weeks ago this thread talked about losing people, and it was very timely, because my mum (whose ukipper delights I've shared with the thread previously) passed away last month. The funeral was yesterday.

In brief she went in for a biopsy to check out some suspicious lumps, suffered a catastrophic bleed, that caused a cardiac arrest, that in turn caused a hypoxic brain injury, and she never woke up. For three weeks we weren't sure if she would wake up or not. The fourth week, after an MRI confirmed she wouldn't, we spent waiting for her to pass away.

The lump turned out to be cancer, that had come back after 13 years. It was likely to have been aggressive and untreatable. So in some ways she was lucky, instead of dying to cancer sometime this year, the last thing she knew was going under anesthetic for a biopsy. Certainly not the worst result, she might even have woken up with brain damage (and then died of cancer). But the suddenness was still rough, it's like we lost a chance to say goodbye.

I've mentioned this before but she had spent the last few years going down the right wing Facebook rabbit hole, she was becoming obsessed with politics and it made it difficult to have any sort of social occasion with her because i knew there'd be some horrid talking point every few minutes, and it was always a "what do you think about that!" style conversation so I'd always end up feeling compelled to defend my views, which bored me to death and just made for a tense atmosphere. It was becoming hard to see her as anything other than a hardcore rightwing nutter (despite somehow convincing her to vote Corbyn at the last minute). And so i began to dread the times when we'd all be meeting up. But when she was in hospital all the memories of what she used to be like came flooding back, and i took more notice of all the qualities separate to her politics. It got me thinking about her whole life, not just the bit at the end. I won't miss the political bullshit, but I'll still miss her.

I wanted to post about this because i also want to gush about the NHS (a more common thread staple). I don't know if it's just the one hospital we were at, or just London hospitals, or the whole NHS, but every single one of their staff was amazing beyond belief. Like i literally couldn't believe how good they were. They always made time to talk, and my dad would get hugs from random nurses and consultants just because they could see he was struggling to deal with it. I'm sure this compassion is possible in private hospitals too but to see it in the NHS especially when they are all so stretched just confirms my belief that it is the most valuable institution we have, not just for being free but because of the people that make it up.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 25, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Anyway.

A few weeks ago this thread talked about losing people, and it was very timely, because my mum (whose ukipper delights I've shared with the thread previously) passed away last month. The funeral was yesterday.

In brief she went in for a biopsy to check out some suspicious lumps, suffered a catastrophic bleed, that caused a cardiac arrest, that in turn caused a hypoxic brain injury, and she never woke up. For three weeks we weren't sure if she would wake up or not. The fourth week, after an MRI confirmed she wouldn't, we spent waiting for her to pass away.

The lump turned out to be cancer, that had come back after 13 years. It was likely to have been aggressive and untreatable. So in some ways she was lucky, instead of dying to cancer sometime this year, the last thing she knew was going under anesthetic for a biopsy. Certainly not the worst result, she might even have woken up with brain damage (and then died of cancer). But the suddenness was still rough, it's like we lost a chance to say goodbye.

I've mentioned this before but she had spent the last few years going down the right wing Facebook rabbit hole, she was becoming obsessed with politics and it made it difficult to have any sort of social occasion with her because i knew there'd be some horrid talking point every few minutes, and it was always a "what do you think about that!" style conversation so I'd always end up feeling compelled to defend my views, which bored me to death and just made for a tense atmosphere. It was becoming hard to see her as anything other than a hardcore rightwing nutter (despite somehow convincing her to vote Corbyn at the last minute). And so i began to dread the times when we'd all be meeting up. But when she was in hospital all the memories of what she used to be like came flooding back, and i took more notice of all the qualities separate to her politics. It got me thinking about her whole life, not just the bit at the end. I won't miss the political bullshit, but I'll still miss her.

I wanted to post about this because i also want to gush about the NHS (a more common thread staple). I don't know if it's just the one hospital we were at, or just London hospitals, or the whole NHS, but every single one of their staff was amazing beyond belief. Like i literally couldn't believe how good they were. They always made time to talk, and my dad would get hugs from random nurses and consultants just because they could see he was struggling to deal with it. I'm sure this compassion is possible in private hospitals too but to see it in the NHS especially when they are all so stretched just confirms my belief that it is the most valuable institution we have, not just for being free but because of the people that make it up.

i'm so sorry, thats really rough

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Anyway.

Very sorry for your loss JC.

I've seen some on the right criticise those of us who support the NHS and comment on the cuts and understaffing etc turning it into a 'the left hate the nurses and doctors' thing instead of - exactly as you have - we very much support those struggling against the odds of cuts to do the best they can for patients.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

I won't miss the political bullshit, but I'll still miss her.

Sorry for your loss. Great post as well.

People are more than their politics.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

But when she was in hospital all the memories of what she used to be like came flooding back, and i took more notice of all the qualities separate to her politics. It got me thinking about her whole life, not just the bit at the end. I won't miss the political bullshit, but I'll still miss her.

I'm so sorry :( She's yer mam, and that means a great deal more than just her political views, at any point in her life. All my love and condolences.

e; And yeah, the NHS is truly amazing, staffed more or less universally with the very best of us. I can count on one finger the number of NHS staff I've encountered who I had a bad time with, and for all I know she was having the worst day of her life at the time.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 25, 2020

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Anyway.

Hey, I lost my dad a few weeks ago. He passed away in Spain which was a whole other layer of madness, but again public healthcare was absolutely great and they made every attempt to support a group of grieving Brits who could barely speak the language (well, except for some of the admin staff. But that might just be admin staff).

Like you his politics didn't quite match mine (he was, unfortunately, a piss tory for most of his life) but was drifting to the left in his old age. He was a massive influence on my life though, definitely why I got into politics so I will always appreciate that.

The funeral is on Monday and it's going to be loving awful.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

dawn foster has blocked me on twitter and i have no idea why lol

Dawn Foster has followed me on Twitter and I also am not sure why but it clearly shows she's got great taste.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Com...mentariat?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Anyone ever been asked to use Elbo when applying for a job? Been asked to for a role and it's such a piece of poo poo I half suspect that it might be a test for the job itself, like I'm supposed to bug it. The job description would be incredibly misleading if that is the case though, that seems like a lot of effort to go to and there are articles about it "replacing CVs for IT recruitment" from the last year or so. So it is probably just another symptom of our hellish capitalist world.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 25, 2020

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Apparently Starmer got all prickly at being asked "what's the most exciting thing you've ever done"

Like, it's a dumb question, yes. But how much of a gaping charisma void do you have to be to not have anything better in the tank than "going to the football"

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Apparently Starmer got all prickly at being asked "what's the most exciting thing you've ever done"

Like, it's a dumb question, yes. But how much of a gaping charisma void do you have to be to not have anything better in the tank than "going to the football"

https://twitter.com/phi1mccann/status/1232385505142222850?s=21

To be fair to him he mainly just called it out for being a dumb question

E: bad joke

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Sure but it's yet more of

Corbyn: "I wish you'd ask a proper question about homelessness or the NHS etc."
Media: "Ugh, what an unlikeable grumpus!"

Starmer: "What a pathetic question"
Media: "Wow, great answer, really changed my mind, wuv u Keir"

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

Right enough, I’ve not seen much reaction aside from that tweet

No question he’s gonna get an easier ride than corbyn. Unless he becomes leader of course

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

EvilHawk posted:

Hey, I lost my dad a few weeks ago. He passed away in Spain which was a whole other layer of madness, but again public healthcare was absolutely great and they made every attempt to support a group of grieving Brits who could barely speak the language (well, except for some of the admin staff. But that might just be admin staff).

Like you his politics didn't quite match mine (he was, unfortunately, a piss tory for most of his life) but was drifting to the left in his old age. He was a massive influence on my life though, definitely why I got into politics so I will always appreciate that.

The funeral is on Monday and it's going to be loving awful.

poo poo, sorry to hear that. My parents were getting ready to go on holiday and if it weren't for this, it's possible something might have happened while they were abroad (the cancer was already causing problems even though they didn't know it was cancer yet)... the whole thing would have been ten times worse if it did. Sounds like you got decent care in Spain, though it can't have been easy with the language barrier

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Facehammer posted:

I worry that Boris fucks up severely, but by his strange alchemy, somehow turns it into an enormous advantage.

Obviously, the path to electoral success is Swinsonism.

Skills. Wallet.

Anyway looking forward to Boris hiding in his fridge to escape the Coronavirus. Where the hell has he been for the last two weeks anyway?

p.s there are almost certainly asymptomatic clusters all across the UK right now. This could get interesting, who wants to see Boris implement some 'emergency' legislation.

E: https://twitter.com/LiveHardMan/status/1232273747450777600

RockyB fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 25, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/JeremyVineOn5/status/1232220184548663297?s=20

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

@Jeremoud Corbynejad: Nothing but sympathy and love. It’s shocking when parents die but eventually the feeling becomes less frequent. It never totally goes away but the pain does lessen over time, and the times it hurts become rarer.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lmao the grift got him the attention he wanted but he can't deal with the fallout, boo hoo.

https://twitter.com/glassarmy/status/1232403406549061632?s=19

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lmao the grift got him the attention he wanted but he can't deal with the fallout, boo hoo.

https://twitter.com/glassarmy/status/1232403406549061632?s=19

I mean, that's rape, right? Maybe the lodger was fine with it, but ultimately that's extorting sex from someone who is depending on you for a place to live. Even if you say "You can pay in cash instead that's fine", is that a believable thing in that situation? Is it worth risking your ire when you can just conjure up some nonsense and kick them out if you're mad at them?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Love to both of you. Keep safe and look after yourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Condolences to all those living with recent losses.

Ms Adequate posted:

I mean, that's rape, right? Maybe the lodger was fine with it, but ultimately that's extorting sex from someone who is depending on you for a place to live. Even if you say "You can pay in cash instead that's fine", is that a believable thing in that situation? Is it worth risking your ire when you can just conjure up some nonsense and kick them out if you're mad at them?
It's certainly shadier than most sex work relations, because you can't just move out of a building as easily as you can find another punter.

Our rape laws are all kinds of backwards, but if we phrased it in the language of non-backwards laws, I don't think it's sexual battery but it could definitely be economic coercion.