Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've spawned there every time and this is the first time I encountered this much difficulty.

But I'm passed it, i moved out to what I hope is more secure area.

And I had meat, maybe fish isn't as filling as regular? I am making jerky now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

twistedmentat posted:

I had no idea those were tameable. I saw on one of the Needs vids one of the crew got a dragon age by flying a bunch of ptera on aggro into the trench, letting them attack and distract the dragons while they stole the egg. Once I survive I want to try that out. I basically have ot restart from scratch every sunday, because that seems to be raiding day, and I work sundays so i come home and i'm dead along with all my stuff.

Silica Pearls are the one thing on Val i've had the most issues getting. Becuase I can use both Chiten or Kariten to make cementing past, that's no problem because I can murder turtles for their shells and dead ones spawn along beaches as well. Not to mention dolphins also spawn and they give out organic polymer. Oil, well, we've put open pumps on pretty much all of them on the map so we can get more than enough by sharing.

Pearls, i've found a few places across the map where they spawn, the best place being a lake in the NE of the map, but not the one in the far corner, and along the northern shore of the white cliffs area. At worst you have to deal with mantas and meglos. The problem with the other places is that they tend to have direwolves or carnos running around so you need to be careful with a mount while you go diving. Rag was good because there is a cave in the water in viking bay with literally THOUSANDS of them. On the Steam game, I had nearly 20k because i went in there with scuba and a shark and got lost in the caves for like 2 hours, grabbing all i saw while I tried to find my way out. When i came out I was really far from viking bay.

The Beaver Pond area seems to be one of the best spots for nearby resources of every type.
In the water to the southwest of the bottom of the ramp/waterfall down from the Beaver Lake area there's a deeper hole in the center of the lake there that has about 20-30 pearl nodes and nothing has ever attacked me swimming down to them from the shore. Sparse Mantas and no Megas in that section of the lake.
To the southeast from the ramp there is an underwater entrance to the underground sea with some scattered pearls in the cave and a bunch of crystal around the entrance, it's a long cave but there are also black pearls once you get into the underground sea itself, can't remember if any were in the cave. The entrance is directly below the southern shore of the lake there.
Plus the pearls from the beaver dams.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Getting the map unique raptors was easier than i thought. I just aggro'd them and then had them follow my birb off a cliff. Then Picked up the egg. Then when I got back to my base, ate the egg rather than dropping it. I totally Thick'd it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

Getting the map unique raptors was easier than i thought. I just aggro'd them and then had them follow my birb off a cliff. Then Picked up the egg. Then when I got back to my base, ate the egg rather than dropping it. I totally Thick'd it.

was it tasty tho? :allears:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
crunchy and nutritious

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

was it tasty tho? :allears:

Tasted kinda like Popeye's.

Where can I find black pearsl? According ot the resource map and what I can find on forums, there is an underground ocean somewhere at 45 33 but all i find there are tons and tons of alpha meglodons.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 11, 2019

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

You have to look for the entrance to the ocean. You might be better off going into the Rag map and fighting the sea scorpions in Viking Bay.

I've been offline (moving) since last week, back to the server soon. I'm sure I've been wiped by now.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

twistedmentat posted:

Tasted kinda like Popeye's.

Where can I find black pearsl? According ot the resource map and what I can find on forums, there is an underground ocean somewhere at 45 33 but all i find there are tons and tons of alpha meglodons.

There's the entrance south of the beaver pond waterfall I mentioned above but the tunnel to the underground is pretty long from there. I almost ran out of air my first time down there. The black pearls are fairly easy to find on the ridges around the underground sea once you get down there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Depends posted:

There's the entrance south of the beaver pond waterfall I mentioned above but the tunnel to the underground is pretty long from there. I almost ran out of air my first time down there. The black pearls are fairly easy to find on the ridges around the underground sea once you get down there.

I have a full scuba suit so that should do it.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Well, it's partly because I lost track of my exit when I was swimming around grabbing pearls and then had 4 plesios on my rear end while looking for the way out of the massive cavern so I couldn't slow down much to look around.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Y'all need to get good oxy and snag some sarcos. Super useful mounts.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Every sarco I've ever tamed died to stupid things that attacked it in the middle of it's body where it couldn't turn and fight back.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Scathach posted:

Y'all need to get good oxy and snag some sarcos. Super useful mounts.
Aren't there better amphibious mounts like the Baryonyx?

Frogs are nice too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea I prefer the Bary's over sarcos for water mounts. They're decent on land too.

Latest Neebs video has one of them finding the spider pit, and I'm like "That's a bad, bad idea". Don't want to risk your new dragon dealing with the Broodmother.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Baryonx are great too, just more difficult to keep fed in some places. Kinda forgot those exist and I need some. Sarcos swim faster though, I think.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

When the wife and I were on the island we had a pack of about 10 barys that could handle pretty much everything in the ocean. Their daze attack is pretty clutch.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I realized I could build stone on the rafts to prevent them from being torn apart by meglos. This came after a weird thing happened to me. I was doing my normal oil/keriten/metal sweep, and over the water i'm high above it, suddenly i'm in the water surrounded by jellyfish. There must have been a lag spike or something on the server and it thought I was in a completely different location than I thought I was in. It was nice that I died on the surface so my stuff could be picked up without touching the jellyfish. It was also nice when I unloaded on them with my assault rifle.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Rant has been using glidersuits and machine guns to divebomb the jellies on Val. Always fun to watch and I kinda hope players off in the distance see it and nope the gently caress out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I found the enterance to the underground sea. It really is in a hard to find location. Now the part of the sea it is in is easy to find, there's giant rockets just below the surface, but the enterance is hard to find. I was mostly worried that my O2 Tank would break when I was getting attacked and would drown, but I managed to avoid Nessie.

I just need to wait for my unstable element to become element now, then I can finally have a tek replicator.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

So I think we're going to wipe the servers soonish. That said anyone that was on there already, message me here or on Messenger and I'll get you set up with a two rep and everything else so our old players aren't starting with nothing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Two Rep? And I just got my tek replicator. Though at least I know were to get black pearls so I can get one faster next time.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Is there an Xbox/Win10 Goon server? As far as I can tell, all the ones folks have been talking about are Steam servers.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Mine's Xbox. I have Valguero, Ragnarok, and Scorched Earth so far. Search "Raiders of the Lost Ark - (map name)"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Has the refresh happened? I stopped playing when there was talk of that. I wonder if someone found my base.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

I don’t suppose anyone’s on the Mobile version? Started last night on single player and had a grand time punching trees and knocking out animals and stuffing berries into them to make friends. I’m guessing none of that crosses over into multiplayer and my character has to start from scratch?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

finally started playing this. my friend and i play together and we have a sick stone castle coming together on that tall mountain in the south isles, the one with all the metal. we were about to head out to tame an argentavis and had to pass through the swamp

hours later, our net tally is: minus one each triceratops, pelagornis, and pteranadon, plus all their saddles; minus two complete sets of metal tools and weapons, one each sets of chitin and flak armor, plus the argentavis trap. and obviously no big bird.

gently caress the swamp. i hate the swamp forever. at least i am pretty sure i know where my corpse (with flak, the trap and a set of metal tools and weapons, plus a pelagornis saddle) is. bad news is it's on a tiny island accessible only from the air and swarming with snakes. i'm gonna airdrop in there with a shotgun and blast those boas back to hell.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

finally started playing this. my friend and i play together and we have a sick stone castle coming together on that tall mountain in the south isles, the one with all the metal. we were about to head out to tame an argentavis and had to pass through the swamp

hours later, our net tally is: minus one each triceratops, pelagornis, and pteranadon, plus all their saddles; minus two complete sets of metal tools and weapons, one each sets of chitin and flak armor, plus the argentavis trap. and obviously no big bird.

gently caress the swamp. i hate the swamp forever. at least i am pretty sure i know where my corpse (with flak, the trap and a set of metal tools and weapons, plus a pelagornis saddle) is. bad news is it's on a tiny island accessible only from the air and swarming with snakes. i'm gonna airdrop in there with a shotgun and blast those boas back to hell.

10/10 would get Ragnar'd again

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Has the refresh happened? I stopped playing when there was talk of that. I wonder if someone found my base.

Crap, I missed this. Yeah, also we added Scorched Earth and all the drops on all maps are custom and good. No more compass blueprints.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scathach posted:

Crap, I missed this. Yeah, also we added Scorched Earth and all the drops on all maps are custom and good. No more compass blueprints.

This is huge lol my buddy and I playing on our own server would always joke that any given drop will contain at least one compass blueprint and one water jar.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

The Val drops were a bitch. It took Fisto an entire weekend to fix them (apologies for not getting those done quicker, we're suddenly busy af.)

We had some guys join right before we changed the drops, they were super active for like a week, and they actually got mad and LEFT because we made the drops good. I'm so loving confused.

I haven't been playing much, have a lot of life poo poo going on and I'm currently doing comission art for a free SUV so my free time is booked.

E: also if you want the really good stuff, fight the bosses.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm interested in getting this on PS4 for my girlfriend. Is there anything I should know before buying next time it goes on sale? Is the PS4 version ok?

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus
So I picked up Ark last month and have been playing with a few friends. I'm renting a server right now (Steam) if anybody is interested in joining me. I might start advertising to get more people in. It's just a PVE server but has increased stats and quite a few mods on it. Not sure how many people still play.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'll have to drop in again if there have been updates. I wonder if my base is still intact.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004

GarethOmni posted:

So I picked up Ark last month and have been playing with a few friends. I'm renting a server right now (Steam) if anybody is interested in joining me. I might start advertising to get more people in. It's just a PVE server but has increased stats and quite a few mods on it. Not sure how many people still play.

I might be interested if it's got modified timers. I definitely went through a solo Ark kick just for the fun of getting different mounts and building a homestead. There's no way I could tolerate the insane timers of vanilla but I'd love chilling on a more relaxed pve server, especially if it's one of the dlc maps (played solo on the island)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pikey posted:

I might be interested if it's got modified timers. I definitely went through a solo Ark kick just for the fun of getting different mounts and building a homestead. There's no way I could tolerate the insane timers of vanilla but I'd love chilling on a more relaxed pve server, especially if it's one of the dlc maps (played solo on the island)

Yea, I like the Xbox PvP server, but i kinda hate having to worry that i'm going to come back to by base being destroyed. Vag has some really cool locations I want to build some giant manor house at but I can't because it would just get destroyed right away.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GarethOmni posted:

i might be interested, what map are you on? the center is still easily my favorite, but i'm up to play on a different map since i have most of the center clocked at this point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The advantage of the Steam version is I have season pass on there so i can play on any map. The Xbox one I just have the base game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So... looks like the new expansion comes out in a few hours. Anyone playing this?

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I picked up the genesis key for peanuts on g2a last week. Hoping that it's not a complete flop or this could be pretty much the end for Ark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have the season pass on steam, but I don't know if this DLC is included in it.

There doesn't seem to be a thread for it, but Conan Exiles is on sale right now. When I was off work recovering from an injury I hosed around on there and it's pretty fun. It doesn't have the dino taming or high tech stuff Ark has, but building and crafting is pretty fun. And the combat is solid. And boobs. and dongs.

I was playing solo so I set the servers settings to be as carebare as possible because all i wanted was to screw around with building. Oh man i thought i screenshotted it but I built a super cool castle on a mesa.