Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zedd posted:

I'm assembling my new PC hopefully this weekend. I like FPS games for the shooty parts and the power fantasy; but I am also very bad at aiming. How much will I like DOOM if I do want a decent-ish non-pushover experience but no like actual skill needed :v: ?

Last singleplayer shooter I completed was Binary Domain if we don't count FPS-RPG's.
You should be fine if you play on a lower difficulty. Maybe some trouble on the bosses? Just know that me and my cool friends will be mocking you and calling you a "pussy" behind your back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

tight aspirations posted:

My fave cold bits in games are in the original Crysis, where your billion-dollar super suit, which can turn invisible, give you super strength and generally make you equal or better than the entire NK army, does not seem to have any insulating properties at all, forcing you to sit near fires to warm up, like some sort of special forces hobo.

feels like I'm wearin nothin at all!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

tight aspirations posted:

My fave cold bits in games are in the original Crysis, where your billion-dollar super suit, which can turn invisible, give you super strength and generally make you equal or better than the entire NK army, does not seem to have any insulating properties at all, forcing you to sit near fires to warm up, like some sort of special forces hobo.
It's surprisingly hard to make something insulating that you can fight in without also making it something that also gives you heat stroke within minutes any time you aren't in a sub-zero environment. That kind of vigorous exertion really heats you up quickly.

I mean, they could probably have stuck in a heater, but going by how long your optic camo lasts, the thing's batteries are tiny. Better not to risk it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Making a super futuristic suit that's extremely good at killing but fails at the most basics tasks seems like a very good critique of military spending.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

i'm happy because I found a hammer that's basically a small barrel on a stick and it does more dps than anything else I've picked up

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s also not Regular Cold in that part of Crysis, it’s “Goddamn Aliens Are Sucking All The Heat Out Of Everything In A Giant Bubble” Cold. It’s entirely possible the suit would work fine in the arctic or something, but can’t keep up with the aforementioned Goddamn Aliens.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Crysis was/is a great game once you just give yourself unlimited suit energy, Predator mode :getin:

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
I'm sick at home with the flu and actively want to die. What's a good chill game that I can play?

I've got Planet Coaster I picked up a while ago and never really played.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's a godamn crime, a godamn crime I say that Crysis is mostly remembered for being a pretty, hard-to-run tech demo than a prime example of the FPS genre. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Zedd posted:

Crysis was/is a great game once you just give yourself unlimited suit energy, Predator mode :getin:

Conversely, the funnest play through* I did of Crysis was where is tried to be as stealthy as possible... without using the cloak at all.

It’s surprisingly doable. You can hide in the jungle foliage really easily and the mobility options provided by the speed and strength modes makes it hilariously easy to break contact and reposition to ambush pursuit.

* Until the aliens anyways.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

unpurposed posted:

I'm sick at home with the flu and actively want to die. What's a good chill game that I can play?

Everyday Genius: Squarelogic

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zedd posted:

Everyday Genius: Squarelogic

Got it! Let's see if my fever addled brain can get through these puzzles :)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The way he's holding that is really bothering me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

unpurposed posted:

I’ve been hooked on cook serve delicious 2 as my podcast & chill game. It even has a Zen mode which turns off all the stressful and challenging parts of the game if you just want to click things and look at lovingly-detailed food

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’ve been hooked on cook serve delicious 2 as my podcast & chill game. It even has a Zen mode which turns off all the stressful and challenging parts of the game if you just want to click things and look at lovingly-detailed food

as someone who vastly prefers CSD1 and 3: I recommend playing the entire trilogy in order so you can see how they improve and get more complex. Also they're all really fun to play.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

as someone who vastly prefers CSD1 and 3: I recommend playing the entire trilogy in order so you can see how they improve and get more complex. Also they're all really fun to play.

Yeah I was hooked on 1; I can see the argument that it’s better than 2 but I dunno, something about 2 is real fun to me. I think I just enjoy all the curated menus in the chef for hire mode.

I also messed around with 3 for a while and I dig it, but since it’s in early access I’m gonna hold off before getting truly obsessed with it. It seems pretty complete already, but still.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

Nice! This sounds perfect too :D

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The opening to RDR2 is the best cold weather game I've ever played, it's too bad that it apparently never really goes back to that biome in any significant way ever again. :sigh:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

My favorite game about being cold and taking shelter by a lonely source of warmth is cryostasis, which evokes its themes in a novel way by leaving all your CPU cores cold except for one

I feel like this got missed and it legit made me laugh, thanks!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

The opening to RDR2 is the best cold weather game I've ever played, it's too bad that it apparently never really goes back to that biome in any significant way ever again. :sigh:

I mean, you can go back into the mountains any time you like!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Speaking of RDR2, how is there no mod that lets you close your jacket in cold weather :argh:

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 25, 2020

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mordja posted:

Speaking of RDR2, how is there no mod that lets you close your jacket in cold weather :argh:

There's one point in the Iceborne DLC for Monster Hunter World where an NPC complains about being cold while simultaneously wearing her giant winter coat over her shoulders like a big anime cape, sleeves completely unused.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I've been playing Diablo 3 on PS4 and having a blast - i started a mage on expert last night and the difficulty is perfect, not crazy hard but you have to stay alert all the time and packs of yellow bosses need very careful attention.

I can't believe they made you play through the whole game at faceroll difficulty at launch before changing difficulty, what a stupid decision.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mordja posted:

Are there any substantial mods for RDR2 yet anyways?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xaris posted:

Are there any substantial mods for RDR2 yet anyways?

Depends on substantial. Same kinda thing as GTAV early on so far, model replacements, some QoL, nothing on the level of like Hulk or what have you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

sebmojo posted:

I've been playing Diablo 3 on PS4 and having a blast - i started a mage on expert last night and the difficulty is perfect, not crazy hard but you have to stay alert all the time and packs of yellow bosses need very careful attention.

I can't believe they made you play through the whole game at faceroll difficulty at launch before changing difficulty, what a stupid decision.

The game is significantly easier even on Normal now than it was at launch. Normal was still braindead easy though, it's the difficulty for people who have literally never played a video game before.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Deakul posted:

The Frozen Wilds expansion to Horizon Zero Dawn makes me physically feel cold sometimes. Can't wait until it ~allegedly~ comes out for PC so we can really see that snow tesselation!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Orv posted:

Depends on substantial. Same kinda thing as GTAV early on so far, model replacements, some QoL, nothing on the level of like Hulk or what have you.

Mostly interested in some QoL stuff like having horse just clip an NPC not instantly make things aggro and bountied, UI and some gameplay refinements. Not really interested in total conversion mods or stuff, but just like a directors-cut esque mods polishing up and streamlining some tedious stuff.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It'll be great to an ARPG-sandbox on PC that does the Ubisoft formula better than Ubisoft. Also we'll find out who is this Ted guy people always go on about.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xaris posted:

Mostly interested in some QoL stuff like having horse just clip an NPC not instantly make things aggro and bountied, UI and some gameplay refinements.

I believe there are wanted limiters and stuff like that but I have not super looked into it. UI and gameplay changes are almost certainly not happening.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It'll be great to an ARPG-sandbox on PC that does the Ubisoft formula better than Ubisoft. Also we'll find out who is this Ted guy people always go on about.

gently caress ted faro

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I couldn't get very far in RDR2 because of the worse than normal Rockstar control scheme regardless of using a keyboard/mouse or controller.

It should bother me so much but I just got tired of worrying if I was going to get on my horse or punch it in the rear end.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Avalerion posted:

I assume that stuff is intentional, it's trying to frustrate you into going full nazi so it can then pull it's gotcha on you.

Here's the thing that really gets me though, some of the gotcha stuff really ain't. For example, prisons: if you don't have them, the only thing you can do is execution by sending them into the frozen wilderness. So instead, you keep them in a warm building for perpetuity. You want to release people from prison? You make them swear loyalty. Which also means that they become informants for your regime. Also, serving soup is looked down upon, because people in the frozen hellscape are gourmets I guess.

The only decisions that actually have a reasonable element of choice on the slippery slope into tyranny the game's obviously trying to make you go down are in relation to child labour, which is just as laughable. Yes, allowing children to work in the kitchens - naturally warm places - is in fact a better thing to do than have them assist in amputations at the clinic. And that's mutually exclusive with letting them build prototypes and do science stuff in the workshops.

Don't even get me started on how daft it is that "Order" and "Faith" are mutually exclusive. Frostpunk just magnificently falls flat in every aspect of morality and (once you find the solution) survival/management.

Mzbundifund posted:

The graphics are evocative and they certainly spent a lot of effort into making the place look really drat cold, with the way the wind and snow effects suppress the feeble furnace glows, but the game is not randomized enough to surprise you, nor is it systems-driven or freeform enough to allow any creativity, so once you've enjoyed the graphics it's hard to justify more than one playthrough.

I wouldn't call it a "misery simulator" since there's so little simulation. It might be miserable, but there's no connection with your populace outside of the research flavor text that is the same every time. Sometimes you can win while still choosing options that have less sad flavor text, but that's mostly just because you picked an easier difficulty or else memorized the optimal sequence of moves. Maybe get it on sale if you're interested, but I wouldn't expect too much. It's a pretty shallow snowdrift.

It's a real waste that you can click each individual citizen, and named people pipe up with complaints or praise, yet that's ultimately meaningless.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Has this happened to anyone else? I use to love playing massive open world games like GTA or Far Cry when I was younger but these days I literally can't play them more than an hour after getting bored. I feel like I can't play any game that is too open or loose, I need some kind of narrative focus or the gameplay has to be excellent like the Souls games(not massive openworld but still). It's weird cause back in the day I hated games like Half Life or would have hated stuff like Wolfenstein but now I enjoy those games a lot more than the games I loved up as a kid. And its not even a time constraint thing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ulio posted:

Has this happened to anyone else? I use to love playing massive open world games like GTA or Far Cry when I was younger but these days I literally can't play them more than an hour after getting bored. I feel like I can't play any game that is too open or loose, I need some kind of narrative focus or the gameplay has to be excellent like the Souls games(not massive openworld but still). It's weird cause back in the day I hated games like Half Life or would have hated stuff like Wolfenstein but now I enjoy those games a lot more than the games I loved up as a kid. And its not even a time constraint thing.

It's called weed, op

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Honestly, yeah, I know the feeling. It's just that after a while, you've really already tickled everything that it is possible to get out of the concept of "open world" games. Everything that a game being open world allows you to do over others, you've already done multiple times. None of that really appeals for its own sake anymore. Instead of being a desirable feature, all that open world just becomes a lot of extra space between you and the next part of the game that makes it interesting when compared to all the things that just make it another open world game. It's why games like Dark Souls work better. They compact. No part of them is really empty or unimportant, and the strong gameplay can carry them on its own merits all the way through.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm the opposite - I have to put effort and focus into playing games with tight narratives whereas in something like Far Cry 4 I can just turn off my brain and finally relax. I read a lot for fun, so I need the other kind of fun where your brain tunes out.

This, incidentally, is why I still haven't gotten very far in Disco Elysium yet. It's work to read that thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't play sandbox games unless there's an objective to do and even then I beeline it asap

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

The Frozen Wilds expansion to Horizon Zero Dawn makes me physically feel cold sometimes. Can't wait until it ~allegedly~ comes out for PC so we can really see that snow tesselation!

Yeah I was blown away by the snow effects in that expansion, they really nailed it.

Similarly (and for good reason because it’s the same engine iirc) death stranding’s snow had the same effect on me. Probably the best “trudging through the snow” I’ve ever seen in a game, better than rdr2 even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does Steam have any rules about having multiple currencies on one account?