Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

I said come in! posted:

The flu kills tens of thousands of people a year in just the United States alone, and there is zero mass hysteria over it. It gets absolutely no media attention.

Yearly iterations without enough new and exciting features reduces public interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The flu's taking the next year off to rework the epidemiology system.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

The remaster of Influenza 4: biological warfare 2 really brought the series back around

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gripweed posted:

It has a like 2 percent fatality rate. So even if you do get Coronavirus, you have a 98% chance of getting over it and being fine

The regular flu has a mortality rate around .1% so this one is 10 times more likely to kill you is not just "nothing". This one in particular currently seems really, really good at killing people 55+ with something like a 30% mortality rate for those over the age of 70. For those under 55 currently mortality is closer to seasonal flu.

Either way this is not just "The regular flu" and should not be treated as such. Is it the end of human existence? No, the Spanish Flu so far this is not, where that had a mortality rate of around 10% and killed mostly younger, able-bodied people, but it will be very detrimental to countries especially those with poor healthcare like China and the US.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 26, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meEoZctCMBo

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have severe anxiety problems so turning on the tv or hearing it in passing talk about how we're all going to die and it's Trumps fault for gutting our medical research teams fills me with existential terror.

I really don't know what to do about it either other than suddenly burst into the thread and have a mini attack. I told myself we're going to get hit- just a matter of time when but now I'm just not able to sleep as I keep waking up and refreshing twitter or whatever else. This virus is ruining me before it can even reach me :smith:

Cable news organizations are financially incentivized to report on bad and scary things, because that's what puts butts in seats and eyes on ads. This is particularly true with disease outbreaks like novel coronavirus, because then they get to pile on the additional implication that you are in danger and you'd better keep your rear end on that couch and stay tuned if you care about keepng yourself or your family safe. Remember swine flu? The way that poo poo got reported on, you'd have thought it was going to kill every third person.

Novel coronavirus is bad. It's dangerous if you're one or more of the things that make the flu potentially life-threatening. (Old, very young, immunocompromised, etc.) It's going to kill some people. It's not going to kill everyone. It will not kill one out of every ten people. It will not kill one out of every one hundred people. It will not kill one out of every one thousand people. If you do not have one of the complicating factors I listed earlier, I bet everything I have that you will be fine. Even if you do, you probably won't catch it, especially if you're diligent about washing your hands. If you do have one of those things and you do develop flu-like symptoms, go to a doctor and follow their instructions and you will still almost certainly come out on the other side of it. So, take a deep breath (and I mean all the way to the bottom of your lungs!) and don't worry about the fear-mongerers.

EDIT: I know that you can't really logic away anxiety, but if you need someone to tell you that novel coronavirus isn't the approaching apocalyptic pandemic that some people are making it out to be, let this be it.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 26, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Also, Americans don't have healthcare, don't wear masks, and don't go to the Doctor when they get sick.

It could get incredibly bad here very quickly.

Remember, it has a 2 week gestation period. So people are going to be wandering around spreading it to other people who don't know they have it.

Hopefully, it dies down really quickly. We don't want to see it start spreading in the US. That would be very very bad.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm only just now getting over having the flu from like a week ago, it was bad and if i get coronavirtus i'm probably just gonna slit my wrists rather than do it again

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Oh poo poo Kojima is like 56.

Luckily he had that 1:1 Death Stranding safe house built so he can wait things out from underground.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waltzing Along posted:

Hopefully, it dies down really quickly. We don't want to see it start spreading in the US. That would be very very bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aTYm0YOTXQ

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have severe anxiety problems so turning on the tv or hearing it in passing talk about how we're all going to die and it's Trumps fault for gutting our medical research teams fills me with existential terror.

I really don't know what to do about it either other than suddenly burst into the thread and have a mini attack. I told myself we're going to get hit- just a matter of time when but now I'm just not able to sleep as I keep waking up and refreshing twitter or whatever else. This virus is ruining me before it can even reach me :smith:

Honestly I don't know how you can stick with this thread if you have anxiety issues.

I stopped checking in here as much because it felt like everytime I did ya'll were talking about depressing poo poo and being completely negative about everything, which I really don't need more of in my life. Felt a lot better since cutting that poo poo out, and I didn't want this thread to be one of those places but this forum in general has depression problems.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Honestly I don't know how you can stick with this thread if you have anxiety issues.

I stopped checking in here as much because it felt like everytime I did ya'll were talking about depressing poo poo and being completely negative about everything, which I really don't need more of in my life. Felt a lot better since cutting that poo poo out, and I didn't want this thread to be one of those places but this forum in general has depression problems.

We have a pretty diverse group of friends in here, a lot of them face some pretty harsh challenges, and I think its good that they have an outlet to talk about it. In some cases, this is the only place they can do it and feel safe about it. I don't think we should take that away to be honest, but I dunno.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bernie’s gonna win :bernin:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i am a bright spot, a ray of sun shine. the "oddium promise"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Play Pathologic 2 it's apparently timely and also has a nice uplifting message at the end

Though it's less uplifting if you gently caress up a ton

Jay Rust posted:

Wow! Predisent Berny!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I said come in! posted:

We have a pretty diverse group of friends in here, a lot of them face some pretty harsh challenges, and I think its good that they have an outlet to talk about it. In some cases, this is the only place they can do it and feel safe about it. I don't think we should take that away to be honest, but I dunno.

Nah people facing problems is totally understandable, and I won't decry anyone for venting about frustrations they feel right now.

Its people who believe everything sucks, nothing ever gets better, and we're all doomed that I'm totally sick of. People that aren't just hopeless but seem to revel in being as negative as possible. And I can't blame people for not having hope, its hard to sometimes, but when they try to drag down everyone else with them I get annoyed.

Like one of the last times I was reading this thread someone said something about growing to be like, 50, and someone felt the need to chime in "lol we'll all be dead before we reach middleage". Like what's the point of that? Even if you 100% believe we're doomed completely why rub it in people's faces? Because you want everyone to be as much of a sad sack as you are? Its obnoxious.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gripweed posted:

It has a like 2 percent fatality rate. So even if you do get Coronavirus, you have a 98% chance of getting over it and being fine

2 percent case-fatality means you will know someone who dies from it

This is the fatality rate of the Spanish flu

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

I loving hope so. Less concerned about him on election day, but anxious about him actually getting there since the DNC is doing all it can to sabotage him. If they do not want him as the candidate we vote for, then I am not sure there is much that can be done.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

For varying reasons I can't actually comment positively or negatively on any candidates in the Democratic primaries but I can say that whoever wins better not let Trump and Friends off the loving hook like Obama did Bush.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

romancing saga ps2 was really good

therefore all games with metacritic scores in the 50s must be good

time for me to do some research...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Nah people facing problems is totally understandable, and I won't decry anyone for venting about frustrations they feel right now.

Its people who believe everything sucks, nothing ever gets better, and we're all doomed that I'm totally sick of. People that aren't just hopeless but seem to revel in being as negative as possible. And I can't blame people for not having hope, its hard to sometimes, but when they try to drag down everyone else with them I get annoyed.

Like one of the last times I was reading this thread someone said something about growing to be like, 50, and someone felt the need to chime in "lol we'll all be dead before we reach middleage". Like what's the point of that? Even if you 100% believe we're doomed completely why rub it in people's faces? Because you want everyone to be as much of a sad sack as you are? Its obnoxious.

That's true, there are a couple people I noticed that like to pop in here just to be down on someone and then they disappear. That is their entire post history not just here, but the entire forum.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All games are good, even when they’re bad :)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

oddium posted:

i am a bright spot, a ray of sun shine. the "oddium promise"

Internet Kraken posted:

Ah, you're talking about the :matters: brigade. I agree that I could use as little of that energy in my life as possible. However I'm wary to chide people for it because who the hell am I to tell someone else how to deal with the bad stuff? :shrug:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

2 percent case-fatality means you will know someone who dies from it

This is the fatality rate of the Spanish flu

Your assumptions about the number of people I know are writing checks that my nonexistent social life cannot cash.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ariong posted:

However I'm wary to chide people for it because who the hell am I to tell someone else how to deal with the bad stuff? :shrug:

It's fine to do so, since nothing matters

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Jay Rust posted:

lets fuckin go

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

other ps2 games in the metacritic 50s like romancing saga minstrel song

mega man x7
tenchu: fatal shadows
kuon
chulip
ribbit king (FROG GOLF)
dirge of cerberus
dawn of mana
warriors orochi
under the skin
virtua quest
jaws unleashed
nanobreaker
galerians: ash

guess i should buy all of these

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don't know what this means but if it's a threat im not afraid

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Edit: Go to another thread to discuss the disease, game indoors yall

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've never understood the mentality it takes to go from "poo poo sucks" to "nothing matters"

if anything, things matter more when they suck

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gamers need to be cleaner tbh, it seems like PAX has the worst reputation of everyone getting sick when you go to it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i already know chulip owns btw

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Gamers need to be cleaner tbh, it seems like PAX has the worst reputation of everyone getting sick when you go to it

that's just what happens when you have a bunch of people from diverse locations crammed into a space where everybody's breathing the same air. With cons especially, nobody's going to take a sick day--who wants to miss pax just because you have a cold? It has nothing to do with gamers in particular

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

YouTube Ads have evolved

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

that's just what happens when you have a bunch of people from diverse locations crammed into a space where everybody's breathing the same air. With cons especially, nobody's going to take a sick day--who wants to miss pax just because you have a cold? It has nothing to do with gamers in particular

It’s especially gamers

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Jay Rust posted:

It’s especially gamers

Mostly because afaik most industry conferences involve about 7000% less using the same controller as everyone else demoing that game.

https://twitter.com/FarCadeCo/status/1232365895042945026?s=19

This looks cool I'm glad its free so when there's no one playing in 2 weeks it's not a waste

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

I've never understood the mentality it takes to go from "poo poo sucks" to "nothing matters"

if anything, things matter more when they suck

Its a defense mechanism. If you stop having hope for stuff, things don't hurt as much when they continue to suck. If you don't believe things can get better, you don't have to put any effort into improving them. You can just tread water in the sea of despair, floating along the surface like driftwood. You're not sinking into it but you aren't getting out either.

And if that is what you need to get through the day then fine. Its when people feel the need to drag others down with them that I get annoyed. Anytime anything good happens, someone will feel the need to say it doesn't matter or its actually bad.

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.
If the Bern flames out it'll be because Warren rallied and she's even better, so no worries there. We still have the research ability to handle coronavirus, and it's not as if it spreads by wifi to infect the terminally online. And we have games! So many great games!

Edit: also cats

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I was gonna post something but I really couldn't think of a way to say it so I'm just gonna post this instead which I think gets it across well enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPgn4yNmLXI

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am sorry to report that Mario has entered quarantine and will be unavailable for the olympics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i just want bloomberg and biden to keep cannibalizing each others votes until they end up in 5th and 6th place