Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I'll probably be in for close to a thousand once I'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Elmnt80 posted:

Oh god, I have the exact loving same center console on my boat. I dread having to run a new steering cable to that turd so much I've let it rot for 6 years.

Did that job like 14 months ago. On my boat you have to remove the engine to get room to pull the old steering cable out of the engine tilt tube. Removing the steering wheel was tough, and getting the new helm in was a PITA. Running the actually cable was comically easy as we tied to the old one and it slid out almost effortlessly. I think stiffer cables are easier to run, the worst so far for me was the Transducer cable. The shift and throttle went pretty easy as well.

Go tackle it and get your boat back on the water!

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
We're plotting a camping trip for later this year, and we want fishing to be a major part of it. We're looking at places in Michigan, but might even be willing to cross into Canada depending on how things work out. I'd be down for a trip in another direction if the destination and/or fishing were appealing enough. We are in centralish Ohio.

Anyone have recommendations for place that might be fun, or places we should avoid at all costs? My wife has been looking at different lakes in Michigan and there seems to be about a million appealing options.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Gooch181 posted:

We're plotting a camping trip for later this year, and we want fishing to be a major part of it. We're looking at places in Michigan, but might even be willing to cross into Canada depending on how things work out. I'd be down for a trip in another direction if the destination and/or fishing were appealing enough. We are in centralish Ohio.

Anyone have recommendations for place that might be fun, or places we should avoid at all costs? My wife has been looking at different lakes in Michigan and there seems to be about a million appealing options.

What part of the state are you looking at Gooch? What kind of fish/type of fishing? I'm not very familiar below the bridge, but in the UP I can offer some insight.

I remember reading a joke in some old fishing magazine. A guy drives a few hours north to get to better fishing at his friends house, only to find his friend his driven a few more hours further north to get to better fishing...

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
The new season of uncut angling's 39 hours has me jonesing to go catch some trash fish.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Yooper posted:

What part of the state are you looking at Gooch? What kind of fish/type of fishing? I'm not very familiar below the bridge, but in the UP I can offer some insight.

I remember reading a joke in some old fishing magazine. A guy drives a few hours north to get to better fishing at his friends house, only to find his friend his driven a few more hours further north to get to better fishing...

Hah, I imagine that is more truth than joke.

I'm not being too picky about what I'm fishing for, because if I had my way, I'd be stalking rivers for trout. However I'm the only fly fisher in the group of us that'd be going. I know my wife mentioned Torch Lake, Big Glen Lake, and Bass Lake.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Gooch181 posted:

Hah, I imagine that is more truth than joke.

I'm not being too picky about what I'm fishing for, because if I had my way, I'd be stalking rivers for trout. However I'm the only fly fisher in the group of us that'd be going. I know my wife mentioned Torch Lake, Big Glen Lake, and Bass Lake.

Troll country!

I'm not familiar with any of those lakes sorry. Some pretty good beer brewed in those parts.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Some of us like winter project process pictures. :colbert:

Fine :colbert:

My first issue was that I wanted to mount my motor on the front instead of the back. The back has a metal mounting plate, but not the front. I don't want to crack the plastic when I clamp it down... To the workbench!

I fabbed up some plates out of some stainless I had laying around.

Stuck them on with some construction adhesive.

Took today off to work on it, so I'll have some more soon.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Here's a preview:

Look upon my work ye mighty, and despair. (because of my sweet saw horses)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

tesilential posted:

Did that job like 14 months ago. On my boat you have to remove the engine to get room to pull the old steering cable out of the engine tilt tube. Removing the steering wheel was tough, and getting the new helm in was a PITA. Running the actually cable was comically easy as we tied to the old one and it slid out almost effortlessly. I think stiffer cables are easier to run, the worst so far for me was the Transducer cable. The shift and throttle went pretty easy as well.

Go tackle it and get your boat back on the water!

30+ years of use in saltwater. Its going to fight me every loving step of the way. And I'm not even sure its the cable thats jammed, but rather the turny bits on the front of the motor. Last time I freed it up it took 2 days, a 2.5ton hydraulic wedge and heavy torch use to get it to move. And then I still may need to replace that $400 starter. And find something to tow the turd. Boats. :argh:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Got some good work done over the weekend.

Slapped some glue onto that sheet of ply:

Open palm slammed it onto this carpet I cut out and let it dry:

Ended up with this bad boy:

Turned out pretty well, I think:

Then I made a little block to bolt my sonar unit to:

Just need to sort out my anchor system, mount the transducer and wire everything up.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I carpeted my truck bed in much the same manner. Way more cozy. Fantastic job!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

Got some good work done over the weekend.

Slapped some glue onto that sheet of ply:

Open palm slammed it onto this carpet I cut out and let it dry:

Ended up with this bad boy:

Turned out pretty well, I think:

Then I made a little block to bolt my sonar unit to:

Just need to sort out my anchor system, mount the transducer and wire everything up.

gently caress yes! Your fish finder looks pretty familiar, too. Which model did you go with? And anchors, yes. I need to finally get around to that, too.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

It's the striker 4+ CV or something like that. Pretty basic except it has that clearview band that looks a lot easier to read.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

It's the striker 4+ CV or something like that. Pretty basic except it has that clearview band that looks a lot easier to read.

:respek: I have the same one. Seemed like the best option unless I wanted to spend hundreds more for one.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Is it any good? I've never had a sonar before.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It's a lot more accurate than I am. I didn't grow up using one of these so I'm still dialing it in myself, but it has been great so far for depthfinding alone. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to find fish with it. :v:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Got the anchor situation figured out.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Ghostnuke posted:

Is it any good? I've never had a sonar before.

I've got the Striker 5 CV on one of my kayaks, it's not a bad little unit. It's essentially the same hardware as yours, just with a bigger screen. It can be a bit hard to determine the seabed type using the traditional sounder mode but the ClearVu mode is good for that.

That's a school of baby snapper midwater, and something else holding tight to the bottom. Traditional view on the left, ClearVu on the right. The orange thing is the reflection of my sleeve.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I guess it'll just take some practice to read, because currently I do not look at that and think, "hmm yes that is clearly a school of baby snapper :hmmyes:"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well it’s something small suspended off the bottom. You’ll get use to it.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I don’t even see the code. All I see is drum, snapper, sand dab. :matrix:

(In all seriousness I remember looking at my uncles’ sonar and couldn’t make heads or tails of it. It’s incredible to me you can pick that much nuance out )

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Ghostnuke posted:

I guess it'll just take some practice to read, because currently I do not look at that and think, "hmm yes that is clearly a school of baby snapper :hmmyes:"

From the screen alone I could see it was a school of something. Every bait I put down hooked a baby snapper before it got anywhere near the bottom so I put 2 and 2 together.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Man I wish I was out on the ocean with some sonar.

How far do you go out with your Kayak? I know some guy who goes WAY (miles) out, which I probably would never do w/o some serious know-how.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ThePopeOfFun posted:

How far do you go out with your Kayak? I know some guy who goes WAY (miles) out, which I probably would never do w/o some serious know-how.

For me there’s no point. The Puget sound has plenty of opportunities right here. If if did want to go out to West Port on the ocean there’s plenty of fish in the rocks of the jetty. Neah Bay has fish all over the place near shore. No point going out far.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

For me there’s no point. The Puget sound has plenty of opportunities right here. If if did want to go out to West Port on the ocean there’s plenty of fish in the rocks of the jetty. Neah Bay has fish all over the place near shore. No point going out far.

Wait are you out on the Sound in a kayak on January?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I’ve been up to 15km from land

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

captkirk posted:

Wait are you out on the Sound in a kayak on January?

Well last time I went out was December for a quick paddle around for funsy on my sit on top with 5mm neoprene legs and vest Incase I fell in. I’m paddling around in the shadow of Blake Island so there’s little wave or wind.

People who do full dry suits go for coastal cutthroat year round.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Anyone ever catch a burbot? They're not in many lakes around here, but freshwater lingcod sounds worth a drive to the mountains.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone ever catch a burbot? They're not in many lakes around here, but freshwater lingcod sounds worth a drive to the mountains.

Hell yah.

They used to have an event here called "Burbot Bash" that started at 8pm and went till noon the next day. They are really aggressive night hunters. I tend to fish breaks in 40-60 ft just after sun down with a dead minnow and a rattle spoon. Just hammer the bottom. If you can get a glow stick attached to the lure even better. Just be aware they are super slimy and curly and freeze into a mobius strip.

I've also caught them while going for Coho, Splake, or Whitefish too.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Once, up in Minnesota. We call them eelpout up there. I'm absolutely in awe of Walker, MN, which hosts an Eelpout festival including an 8000-person ice fishing tournament, and a 5k race partially on a frozen lake, called the Eelpout Peelout. Unfortunately, permitting issues killed it for this year.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I googled them and jesus it's like a bowfin and a flathead had the world's ugliest baby

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Went out on a drift boat in 4ft swells. Only caught a sea robin. We were all sick as dogs, good thing I pregamed with Dramamine 2. One chick caught 2 mutton snapper. Some people have all the luck! She was also the only one not bothered by the swells. Just a better class if human, I guess.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Superior inner ear.

Not exactly sure what an east coast drift boat is. On the west coast it’s a specialty boat for drifting down rivers for fly fishing.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

A few years ago I spent a day for Halibut in Alaska. Knowing that my sealegs are non-existent I applied a scopolamine patch 4 hours prior. I was able to casually observe the other dozen people on the boat projectile chumming while I just stared at my pole and waited for that mondo halibut. Eventually the swells calmed but scopolamine is amazing and I'll never fish in a boat without it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Yooper posted:

A few years ago I spent a day for Halibut in Alaska. Knowing that my sealegs are non-existent I applied a scopolamine patch 4 hours prior. I was able to casually observe the other dozen people on the boat projectile chumming while I just stared at my pole and waited for that mondo halibut. Eventually the swells calmed but scopolamine is amazing and I'll never fish in a boat without it.
When I did deep sea fishing in the gulf stream off the coast of North Carolina, I took the non-drowsy version of dramamine the night before and the morning of. I was perfectly fine. The one guy who swore he never got sea sick wound up vomiting into my brother's lunch. But he did reel in a nice white marlin. So I guess he won.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone done any fishing in northern Ontario? I'm looking at a few places north-westish of Sudbury. My wife refuses to float plane it so we've got to train in.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Anyone in NC or VA want to go fly fishing up in the mountains?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Fun article about a guy who caught a 63lb catfish on 8LB TEST https://www.gon.com/fishing/63-pound-blue-catfish-goat-rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'm going to be doing some surf fishing this summer. Looking at possibly halibut, anyone share any rigs one would use? I'm looking at a 40 lb leader, 40 lb test line, circle hook, and 4 oz frog tongue sinker. Do I need to get fancy with anything else?