Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Thank you to those who mentioned Submarine Titans. I had that one on my wish (as in "I wish that this would come to GOG") list and did not notice that it recently came out until mentioned in this thread hours ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

chaosapiant posted:

Sup thread, any of ya'll ever play Submarine Titans? I've always wanted to play it, especially back in the early 2000's when my favorite games were Starcraft, Ground Control, Homeworld, Earth 2150 and Age of Mythology. What a good time for RTSs. It always looked a bit like a clone of Starcraft, but it also looked really interesting. Is it worth checking out nowadays?

I think I still have the Submarine Titans CD somewhere, I was a huge fan of that game.

It hasn't gotten picked up yet by gog so as far as I know it's out there in the wild for free and probably a pain in the rear end to install.

The game takes place after a catastrophe that forced humans into the water. You got the white sharks, United States remnant with relatively cheap reliable units. Black Octopi, Europeans with expensive specialized units and the Silicons. They're the weird aliens.

Because it's set underwater, all your units are basically flyables that can move up or down and you can use this to your advantage to dodge torpedoes n poo poo.

I remember it got poo poo on by the reviewers for not having a simpler interface. It's pretty crowded. Had a good ai skirmish mode and everything.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 6, 2020

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lords of Midnight Chat: I keep reading the young hero "Morkin" as "Merkin."

I guess if I were playing it around when it came out I'd think of him as "Morkin Mindy."

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Any game is worth looking at if it looks interesting to you. The question is, "is it worth my time to invest into knowing whether I'll enjoy this game or not?" But if you just enjoy looking at old games, hell yes, it's worth it. I doubt I'll play Lords of Midnight for more than a couple hours, much less finish it, but I've already read the novella and have taken a few notes about what I want my characters to do. I don't have to go to film school to enjoy a movie, and I don't have to play much of a game to enjoy it about as much as I'm gonna.

It probably won’t take you longer than a couple of hours to beat Lords of Midnight once you figure out how it works - it’s not that complicated a game. Even more so the sequel, where it’s trivially easy to get almost all the armies on the map to join you instead of fight you.

Also while neither is going to make my top 10 games list, I think both games hold up today. I never played either before I got them off GOG and had fun with both.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I mainly use Gog to collect jpgs and periodically spend money on PDFs of manuals

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Myth (well, 2 and 3 are the ones I have) are great. Myth 2 especially. Find a disc, grab the fan patch and you're good to go.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

catlord posted:

Myth (well, 2 and 3 are the ones I have) are great. Myth 2 especially. Find a disc, grab the fan patch and you're good to go.

Myth 2 is the one that can nuke your windows installation, right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chaosapiant posted:

Sadly I never played that one. Or the Myth series. Are those worth going back to and checking out?

Supreme Commander is a pretty decent modern Total Annihilation. Forged Alliance (the expansion) is fantastic.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Statutory Ape posted:

I mainly use Gog to collect jpgs and periodically spend money on PDFs of manuals
Same, except I choose to see myself as the curator of a really lame personal museum.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Myth 2 is the one that can nuke your windows installation, right?

I'm not sure if those bugged copies actually made it into the wild, but yes. If you got a bugged copy and tried to uninstall it, it would take out your Windows install. Bungie caught it while copies were being boxed, there are stories of them running down to crack open the boxes and replace the discs. If you really want to play it but are worried about that, find a copy of Myth 2: Worlds, which was a later release (and the one I have) that came with a bunch of mods (that are now out of date, you'll want to get more recent version from The Tain if you decide you want to play those).

Which does put them ahead of the Ruins of Myth Drannor team I guess (I would love it if GOG put out a Ruins of Myth Drannor/Descent to Undermountain pack though).

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

catlord posted:

Which does put them ahead of the Ruins of Myth Drannor team I guess (I would love it if GOG put out a Ruins of Myth Drannor/Descent to Undermountain pack though).

Me too, though mostly the former. RoMD is one of those games that I admit is at best mediocre, but I still enjoy it. I have a physical copy for which I still own the manual and the strategy guide, but it's a pain in the sphincter to install even though both my desktop and laptop have optical drives. As such, I would gladly pay :10bux: for an easy-install version.

Add a speed-up patch and it's a massive if repetitive 3e-esque dungeon crawler.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

catlord posted:

I'm not sure if those bugged copies actually made it into the wild, but yes. If you got a bugged copy and tried to uninstall it, it would take out your Windows install.

This isn't strictly true. The bug was that the uninstaller wiped out the entire directory you told the installer to install Myth II into, instead of just the files that were installed. If you installed Myth II into its own folder and/or the default. If you installed Myth II in the root folder of the hard drive...you could wipe out everything on the disk. So it could theoretically be even worse than just nuking your Windows install, it just depended on where you put the game files.

Ruins of Myth Drannor's uninstaller was basically the same bug. It was a really bad bug in both cases, but only would do serious damage to your install under a specific set of circumstances.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

If you liked Dawn of War 2, you'll like the Myth series. They still hold up and multiplayer was incredibly fun.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I've also never played Dawn of War and/or Company of Heroes. I kinda fell out of enjoying every RTS I could get my hands on by the mid 2000s. I still really enjoyed Starcraft II. But yea.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Genpei Turtle posted:

This isn't strictly true. The bug was that the uninstaller wiped out the entire directory you told the installer to install Myth II into, instead of just the files that were installed. If you installed Myth II into its own folder and/or the default. If you installed Myth II in the root folder of the hard drive...you could wipe out everything on the disk. So it could theoretically be even worse than just nuking your Windows install, it just depended on where you put the game files.

Ruins of Myth Drannor's uninstaller was basically the same bug. It was a really bad bug in both cases, but only would do serious damage to your install under a specific set of circumstances.

Deltarune recently had the same issue. It sounds really threatening at first, but really isn't, unless you run your PC like a pigsty :colbert:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

chaosapiant posted:

I've also never played Dawn of War and/or Company of Heroes. I kinda fell out of enjoying every RTS I could get my hands on by the mid 2000s. I still really enjoyed Starcraft II. But yea.

CoH is great, but you need to get a disc copy so you can play it unpatched. Multiplayer balance changes spilled over to the campaign and, while still playable, it’s not as fun as 1.0.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

davidspackage posted:

Deltarune recently had the same issue. It sounds really threatening at first, but really isn't, unless you run your PC like a pigsty :colbert:

Would you literally have to just toss the exe and everything into the open windows folder or root like...out there

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Statutory Ape posted:

Would you literally have to just toss the exe and everything into the open windows folder or root like...out there

The userbase for deltarune isnt full of battlehardened IT employees who daydream about jagged alliance 2 all day

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

The userbase for deltarune isnt full of battlehardened IT employees who daydream about jagged alliance 2 all day

im 33 and was the person that installed every game in my gog directory, the first time i had it, in the early 90s

not only had my balls not dropped idk that i was aware that they were even there. the concept of not dumping a shitload of random stuff into a visual filing system doesnt require IT anything, its literally poo poo preschoolers learn with blocks.

E: in my case i actually learned it in DOS/Windows then applied it to blocks later in pre-school, but thats moot

Worf fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 6, 2020

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Also you'd have to deliberately not pick the default /program files/gametitle location to install it, right?

Then again, my boss once tried to solve the problem of a slow laptop by deleting random files and folders he didn't think were needed, to clear space.

"System32? Eh, doesn't sound important..."

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

davidspackage posted:

Also you'd have to deliberately not pick the default /program files/gametitle location to install it, right?

Then again, my boss once tried to solve the problem of a slow laptop by deleting random files and folders he didn't think were needed, to clear space.

"System32? Eh, doesn't sound important..."

I mean why do you need System32 if you have 31 others that can run it instead?

/s

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Got done with The Surge 2. Felt fairly rushed at the end, Brother Eli is a terrible villain and is just a total chump throughout the game, and turns into a total breeze even though I hadn't been grinding at any point in the game.

That said, such fun. I just wish they'd nailed the ending.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Surge 2 gameplay is awesome but drat, the story is extremely bad

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

ZZZorcerer posted:

Surge 2 gameplay is awesome but drat, the story is extremely bad

It hella bad. And that's fine, but at that point why even bother pretending that you've got an epic story. Also, the opening plane sequence didn't play the first time I tried New Game so I was quite confused about who Athena was. Then in NG+ it triggered and I was like, "This probably should've been the opening to the game?"

A bizarre glitch.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Dishonored and new Wolfenstein games on gog now.

This version of Death of the Outsider does not require you to register and link a Bethesda account to it to play new game plus stuff in it so it's the best version available.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i missed that redguard and battlespire were made available. that's a neat bit of history.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sivek posted:

This version of Death of the Outsider does not require you to register and link a Bethesda account to it to play new game plus stuff in it so it's the best version available.

Really?

Bethesda, stop trying to make your stuff happen! It’s not going to happen.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

Really?

Bethesda, stop trying to make your stuff happen! It’s not going to happen.

Yeah, the corporate overlords at Zenimax must've been leaning extra hard on them to increase the Bethesda launcher install base since they made stuff like an additional black/white filter need one, too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sivek posted:

Yeah, the corporate overlords at Zenimax must've been leaning extra hard on them to increase the Bethesda launcher install base since they made stuff like an additional black/white filter need one, too.

Don't forget making players log in on the Switch to play the classic DOOM's til enough people told them to gently caress off with that.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I restarted Witcher 3 yesterday, and my Xbox controller does weird things (swapped buttons, the tutorial messages won't go away...). Does anyone have the same problems? PS4 controller works, but I'd rather not be moving the controller around.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
What sorcery is this?

https://www.gog.com/game/master_of_magic_caster_of_magic

Even the base game has a new bug fix patch!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There’s no engine that’s too old for a wargame developer.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Joe Chill posted:

What sorcery is this?

The gently caress? drat, I keep on putting off picking up Master of Magic, despite loving it, but I guess I should do that soon enough.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
There's been a decent number of releases today. Wasteland Remastered also just came out.

https://www.gog.com/game/wasteland_remastered

Also this game. Does anyone have any impressions of it?

https://www.gog.com/game/genesis_alpha_one_deluxe_edition

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Joe Chill posted:

What sorcery is this?

Wait what???

WHAT??!?!?

HOW?!?!?!!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Magic, I wager.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Entorwellian posted:

Wait what???

WHAT??!?!?

HOW?!?!?!!

It's a popular community mod getting an officially sanctioned release.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
What a time to be alive.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Ahh, paid mods...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a popular community mod getting an officially sanctioned release.

Bought and installing. I'm excited.