Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pick posted:

Not a single goon will even get sick aside from doing stuff that'll make them sick later like cashing out their 401k for freeze dried lasagna

I honestly wish this was true but I can say 100% some of us will get it ( if they haven't already we just don't know it because they are on the milder side or didn't get tested correctly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

*adds freeze dried lasagna to grocery list*

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

LimburgLimbo posted:

What exactly were you expecting this stuff to taste like my dude lol

I expect it to taste like flavored chalk, but I definitely didn't expect that at 8 years old at the zoo.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Pick posted:

Not a single goon will even get sick aside from doing stuff that'll make them sick later like cashing out their 401k for freeze dried lasagna

is that your new thing in this thread, decide when people have crossed a certain invisible line of concern and then berating them for being IDIOTS unlike you who is smart enough to not be concerned about anything ever?

I say let the idiots overreact, it's funnier that way. Also it's way too early to say what's an overreaction and what's not. It may end up being the case that covid19 ends up simply being a part of life just like the normal flu. Clearly, anyways, we have failed to contain it like we did SARS and it will continue spreading for some time

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Goons do this to one another. They frenzy, like a big bowl of neon tetras

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

I honestly wish this was true but I can say 100% some of us will get it ( if they haven't already we just don't know it because they are on the milder side or didn't get tested correctly).

I like this video of Iran’s health minister. It’s the first time I’ve seen an example of what Covid Cough looks/sounds like.

https://twitter.com/aliarouzi/status/1232340934114848769?s=21

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I actually want to grab some for camping because watching that Steve1989MRE channel makes them look surprisingly tasty but they're like stupid expensive to get up in Canada everywhere I've looked :saddowns:

:same:

A few years ago I was looking to put away 2 weeks of emergency food (plus wanting to try it for curiosity) but all the dedicated "emergency food" stuff is crazy expensive.

Eventually I settled on Puritan canned chilli, which is C$1.25 at Dollarama, as the backbone of my emergency food supply. 600 calories a can, so 2 cans a day is 1200 calories, more than enough for a person who is just sitting around home. I also have rice and some other stuff, but I like the canned food because if the unspecified future disaster involves the power being off or the tap water not being safe I can still sit in the dark and eat cold canned food until I beg for death.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LimburgLimbo posted:

Republicans, probably: "wow this is unbelievable, who put these idiots in charge of the executive branch!"

Republicans, actually: "you see, this just shows that the federal government is incompetent and unable to accomplish their mission!"

(goes back to putting incompetents into positions of authority and removing funding from the people doing the mission)

(this is not a joke, this is the premeditated plan to starve the beast.)

Play posted:

Is there no way to find out whether this will be the case? Must we simply wait for summer and see what happens?

Regardless of whether it completely disappears I somehow doubt it will survive here in Vegas with our 110 degree daytime temperatures. Hell it's already like 75 and winter hasn't even ended

I dunno, I suspect not without doing experiments that would take long enough to set up and run that it'll be summer by the time you got a good answer.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

https://twitter.com/lizsly/status/1232414308799328257?s=21

https://twitter.com/ksadjadpour/status/1232287585235501056?s=21

I don’t know anything about Iranian politics but this seems... bad?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

QuoProQuid posted:

I don’t know anything about Iranian politics but this seems... bad?

I feel like you don't need to know anything about Iranian politics to know that watching the Deputy Health Minister come down with the virus on live TV while assuring everyone that it's all fine is bad, yes

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
I still have like 50 lbs of ground beef in my freezer. Do your worst, potential quarantine, I'm not scared of you.

Just don't bring a blackout along.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have MREs specifically because earthquakes; it's very likely I won't be able to rehydrate beans/rice/whatever to cook. We have a gas camping stove, but it may not be safe to cook if it's during wildfire season. MREs will get us by without having to have any kind of water added. When I wasn't in earthquake country, we just relied on the canned food shelf. This once led us to eat some stag soup we'd bought on a dare. It was meh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Listen I'm watching ST:TNG and in the first season there is an outbreak and they can't get contain that poo poo worth a gently caress.

If people in the future can't do it properly what hope do we have?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Don't MREs require water though for the ration heater things?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

wilderthanmild posted:

Don't MREs require water though for the ration heater things?

You don't need clean water. It's optional anyways, they're safe to eat cold if less appetizing.

Anyways coronavirus isn't turning off the water.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Facebook Aunt posted:

:same:

A few years ago I was looking to put away 2 weeks of emergency food (plus wanting to try it for curiosity) but all the dedicated "emergency food" stuff is crazy expensive.

Eventually I settled on Puritan canned chilli, which is C$1.25 at Dollarama, as the backbone of my emergency food supply. 600 calories a can, so 2 cans a day is 1200 calories, more than enough for a person who is just sitting around home. I also have rice and some other stuff, but I like the canned food because if the unspecified future disaster involves the power being off or the tap water not being safe I can still sit in the dark and eat cold canned food until I beg for death.

You can mix it up with Ramen, which also can be eaten dry or wet, hot or cold.

I eat rice everyday because I am Asian but I prefer instant noodle over rice. Rice really need to be served with hot vegetable and meat. Ramen I can just eat it dry with some jerky and I enjoy it.

Also, have you considered getting some beer can alcohol stoves to heat up the can food?

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 26, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have MREs specifically because earthquakes; it's very likely I won't be able to rehydrate beans/rice/whatever to cook. We have a gas camping stove, but it may not be safe to cook if it's during wildfire season. MREs will get us by without having to have any kind of water added. When I wasn't in earthquake country, we just relied on the canned food shelf. This once led us to eat some stag soup we'd bought on a dare. It was meh.

You do realise you're going to need water to like, drink, right? An mre doesn't have enough fluid content on its own.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Pick posted:

Yup. It happens a lot and never amounts to anything.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Jabor posted:

You do realise you're going to need water to like, drink, right? An mre doesn't have enough fluid content on its own.

Right. It's not a bad idea to keep a week or so of bottled water around anyways. A couple filter straws are super cheap and store for a really long time, too, if you fancy drinking pond water.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I got $350 in canned goods and other long lasting food from aldi. I live in the middle of nowhere on my own well. Hope it doesn't happen but I'm somewhat prepared if it does.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

This is reminding me of a politician in Hong Kong telling people to steam their masks so they can reuse them. :eng101:

quote:

During the 2019–20 coronavirus outbreak, Hong Kong experienced a shortage of surgical masks. Chiang publicly advocated steaming masks to sterilise them for re-use by reposting a video from the Chinese broadcaster Guangzhou Broadcasting Network on Facebook demonstrating the practice.[9] Centre for Health Protection controller Wong Ka-hing, a physician, rebuked Chiang's claim, while the centre warned Hong Kongers that surgical masks cannot be reused by steaming, and not to believe messages from "unreliable sources". Fellow legislator Helena Wong called on Chiang to step down as chairman of the Legislative Council's Panel on Health Services. In the face of widespread criticism and ridicule, Chiang stood by her claims, and alleged that medical workers who were infected with SARS in 2003 after re-using face masks should have steamed them.[10]

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

vandalism posted:

I got $350 in canned goods and other long lasting food from aldi. I live in the middle of nowhere on my own well. Hope it doesn't happen but I'm somewhat prepared if it does.

That seems a bit excessive.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wait is stephenthinkpad actually over there? Ok that's pretty interesting. Thanks dude

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I actually broke down and bought the fam a box of MREs this year, to go with the bottled water and the commercial gel toilet. Now it will never earthquake, nyahaha!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Burt Sexual posted:

So I already wfh, but schools. What does happen when they close a high school for a month or two. Hold all the students back a year? Run summer school I guess?

Based on my experience when I used to work for a school district, they'd probably just extend the school year by however long they had to close. It happens with snow days, the district I worked at "budgeted" for like two or three days a year where they'd close due to weather, and if they had to close for more days than that then they'd just extend the school year into the summer by however many excess days they were closed.

Also in this scenario, depending on when schools closed and for how long, some of that closure time might be absorbed by the days already carved out for spring break.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

*smugly* "yeah I guess you could say I'm prepared"
*gestures to the shelf of canned chili*

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Full blown viral apocalypse might be pretty neat; when the power finally goes out your house\apartment instantly becomes a really cool fort

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

If you have snow, go get some disinfection tablets and start harvesting all that free water just sitting around out there.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 23, 2021

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

That seems a bit excessive.

Maybe. Maybe not. It's for 2 people.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Daikloktos posted:

Uh, they infiltrated the hell out of the government in the 70's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White for people that haven't heard of this before.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Pick posted:

Why wouldn't you just poop into a paper towel and throw it out the window?

Sure, just make sure to nail some random rear end in a top hat with it.

Just 'cause the world is ending doesn't mean you can't have fun.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

stephenthinkpad posted:

You can mix it up with Ramen, which also can be eaten dry or wet, hot or cold.

I eat rice everyday because I am Asian but I prefer instant noodle over rice. Rice really need to be served with hot vegetable and meat. Ramen I can just eat it dry with some jerky and I enjoy it.

Also, have you considered getting some beer can alcohol stoves to heat up the can food?

I do have a little pellet camping stove, each pellet lasts 5 minutes which is long enough to heat a can or small pot. But those aren't safe to use indoors and I'm honest with myself about what I'm likely to do if the choice is between going outside to cook or just eating cold canned food, lol.

I could use tea light candles indoors instead of the pellets, but still :effort:

935 posted:

*smugly* "yeah I guess you could say I'm prepared"
*gestures to the shelf of canned chili*
:hmmyes:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RIP Burt

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1232468029482528770

Can I be a mod?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
F

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

Can I be a mod?

For god's sake the man's body is still warm, have some decency!
Ask again in 24 hours.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

sincx posted:

I thought this said Purina at first.

They're effectively the same thing.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Pick posted:

What? You aren't getting hype for pandemonium?

I need to get a lawn chair for my roof and some football pads for armor. If only I had saved all those bottlecaps from all those years.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Can I be a mod?

How do you feel about getting infected with strange new diseases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So Australian School Cleaners are being offered huge incentives to fly to Japan and clean the cruise ship.

I have an idea.

a bunch of us go and clean the cruise ship. we lick every surface we can find. we all go home to our respective countries.

once home, we start attending boomer-centric events/facilities: Real Estate investment information sessions, nursing homes, lawn care sections of department stores, trump rallies, classic car meets, etc.

we're all under 60, we just get a mild to bad flu and a big paycheck. they all end up dead.