Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Here is a good example of what I was talking about with the difference in craftsmanship in old vs new "luxury" construction.

This is real Queen Anne woodwork, from a house that sold for $275,000 in Lynchburg VA last month

Most Victorians weren't quite that ornate but for $1.5 million in southwest VA I'd expect something closer to that than this

it does have a lot of nice model trains though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
https://imgur.com/gallery/iW04kkR

16 image home inspection gallery with commentary. They're in LA.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

HelleSpud posted:

The Hills Have Eyes of sistered joists. Cousined joists, perhaps. Brother-mothered joists?

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Those joists can rule Spain or win the AKC

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

HelleSpud posted:

This guy has a bunch of other albums on Imgur if you click his name.

Here's a horrifying one from him

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Imagine the smell.

My smell memory activated instantly in those photos and it was toast, shampoo, and a faint note of cigarettes.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Facebook Aunt posted:

Back in the day you could get matching wallpaper, curtains, sheets and bedspreads right from the Sears catalog. RIP.

You could also get wallpaper murals. As a kid I thought those were so cool. You could have a beach or a forest right in your own bedroom!

Green house people should have gotten one of these.

I spent a couple of years working in an office inside a workshop, and the wall covered in a vinyl print of a tropical beach actually did a surprisingly good job of making the place not depressing as all gently caress.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Yeah they're incredibly cheesy but they actually do a decent job of convincing some deep part of your lizard brain that you're near some sort of nature. It's weird.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

GotLag posted:

I spent a couple of years working in an office inside a workshop, and the wall covered in a vinyl print of a tropical beach actually did a surprisingly good job of making the place not depressing as all gently caress.

When I was a kid, I used to regularly go to the hospital for speech therapy, and one wall of the waiting room was photo wallpaper of a deep forest scene. I always thought it was cool and wanted something like it at home.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I grew up in the suburbs so if I wanted to see a forest I looked out the window.

The living-room wallpaper was still made to look like tree trunks but not photorealistically. Late seventies brownistically.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I want wall murals for the kids rooms. I actually want them for our bedroom but I'll just pretend it's just for the kids.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cakesmith handyman posted:

I want wall murals for the kids rooms. I actually want them for our bedroom but I'll just pretend it's just for the kids.

"Honey, looks like I ordered double by mistake. Whatever shall we do? Whatever...shall... we... do?"

:thunk:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

https://www.muralswallpaper.co.uk/ perhaps? I've been trying to find a simple dark blue to white gradient and I think I'll have to use one of theirs but upside down.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Anywhere that sells designer stuff?

Sorry, I mean of course, where do you find them *like that*.
Probably the same answer...

Facebook Aunt posted:

Back in the day you could get matching wallpaper, curtains, sheets and bedspreads right from the Sears catalog. RIP.

You could also get wallpaper murals. As a kid I thought those were so cool. You could have a beach or a forest right in your own bedroom!

Green house people should have gotten one of these.

I always wanted (and still do!) one of the "Earth From The Moon" or other space murals, because I'm a sci-fi nerd.

Just don't let it go too far. See the "The Veldt" by Ray Bradbury

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

FCKGW posted:

This guy has a bunch of other albums on Imgur if you click his name.

Here's a horrifying one from him

oh my god those are bricks

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

from the most aesthetically pleasing hoarder house I've ever seen

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

ugh I can smell the walls from here

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

That's just maximalism, everything works together in a sorta eclectic way and there's not a single fecal lasagna in sight.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

corgski posted:

That's just maximalism, everything works together in a sorta eclectic way and there's not a single fecal lasagna in sight.

There is one room absolutely jam packed with rando stuff, but heck, by that measure I'm a hoarder.

This, however..

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
What, roofs aren't allowed to smile?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

5 beds, 2 bath, not necessarily in separate rooms.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Jaded Burnout posted:

There is one room absolutely jam packed with rando stuff, but heck, by that measure I'm a hoarder.

This, however..

Solvable. Needs some shoring and some re-framing. That's what our house looked like when I was in High School. We fixed it with Handyman Jacks and extra framing. House is doing fine still. The dude that built it in about 1904 just wasn't good at framing roofs. Just needed the logs to be sistered, added trusses, and some decking. Finished with a steel roof. All problems can be resolved with some work.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

'Don't poo poo where you sleep' has never been more true.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Jaded Burnout posted:

This, however..

The roof was designed in the School of Non-Euclidian Architecture style, I see.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I have to know if there is a bathtub under that bed.

Also, beds everywhere, and wow that PC and dot-matrix printer.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Accidental Wes Anderson.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
It's like living in an antique mall. I kind of love it.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Close the lid.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
fuckin whyyyyyy

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Idk, it looks pleased with itself.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Dillbag posted:

fuckin whyyyyyy

In case you need to recover after being attacked by a wampa and nearly freezing to death

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It looks like an escape pod for when the USS Enterprise gets exploded again.

Going after that "Niagara Falls, but from random directions at random intervals" market.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It's no Kohler Habitat system, that's for sure

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dr.Smasher posted:

It's no Kohler Habitat system, that's for sure

Ummmm....wrong thread. I want one of those.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Dillbag posted:

fuckin whyyyyyy

I would turn on every single jet and stand there in glory, water bills be damned.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dillbag posted:

fuckin whyyyyyy

Ah the Patent 'Typhoon' Superior Indoor Ablutorium with Automatic Soap Dish. Good find. Just make sure no one is playing the organ during bathtime.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

rndmnmbr posted:

I would turn on every single jet and stand there in glory, water bills be damned.

I would do the same but it would be after I run out of hot water in 2 minutes.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Dillbag posted:

fuckin whyyyyyy

Would

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Dave posted:

I would do the same but it would be after I run out of hot water in 2 minutes.

If you buy a thing like that you probably also spring for one of those on demand water heaters. That isn't just a shower, it's a lifestyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Finally, the bidet I’ve been craving.