Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronicler of Dongs
Apr 22, 2003

~*~ Magic Mittens ~*~

PeePot posted:

I saw another picture with a bunch of shaped bags, like stars, but I can't find it. Kind of like the fish one here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/acworldblog/status/1170005756957077505

Seeing that cute fish pouch really just makes me want to dress up as Yakuza's Ono Michio

then all I'll need is the
  • Charming hassaku face
  • Steamy ramen hat
  • Cool boots, vital for any fisherman
  • And the bold and trendy ONO shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ah, poo poo! That reminds me, I bought Yakuza 6 largely for that side quest (I paid literal pennies, it didn't take much) and neglected to play much past the bloated opening.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/animalcrossing/status/639862674499743744?s=20

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Digby's Dead

Loksr
Apr 16, 2002

Oh I'm the Arbiter I know the score
I legitimately can’t wait for this game. I know I’ll get burned out on it and stop visiting my town eventually like I do with every other Animal Crossing game but I don’t care, that period of time where I play it every day is just so soooooo gooooood.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
More useable real estate without lakes, gently caress em. It's good that people can get to endgame and make lakes if they want.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ACPocketNews/status/1232504007647731712

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Look like you can change your appearance from that mirror. I wonder if its any mirror.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RIP Harriet

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wow, I love being able to just change everything whenever.

I also like boys and girls hair and eyes being available to everyone. I wonder if you'll even pick your gender or if they'll just refer to the player as "they" in the rare times a player's pronouns are used, letting you present as whatever you want whenever you want, and having that be the end of it. That would own.

Hihohe posted:

Look like you can change your appearance from that mirror. I wonder if its any mirror.
Yeah, the Japanese just says "table mirror," but honestly even if it's a special mirror the furniture suggests it's an early game thing- not long after you get your house.

Edit: The original Japanese tweet says:
"By the way, you can rest assured that your appearance will be adjusted even on an uninhabited island!
If you have a mirror or a dresser, you can easily take a picture anytime ♪"

So yeah, any furniture it looks like!

The tweet for the character creator reads:
"After checking your name and birthday at the counter, you'll be asked to take a photo for your passport.
Get dressed as much as you like and become yourself who you want to be!"

No mention of choosing your gender!

Eiba fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 26, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I saw a thing where somebody pointed out that the wreaths on doors you see in some of the videos look like they were crafted out of flowers, fruit, seashells, etc.

Which of course means that as the seasons change you will be able to make seasonal wreaths

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
It's me, the one that will proudly use the snaggle-tooth mouth.

Edit: On a more serious note is that enough skin-tones? Cuz I'm worried now that's not enough skin tones like, there's only eight I feel like there's room for more.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 26, 2020

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Eiba posted:

Wow, I love being able to just change everything whenever.

I also like boys and girls hair and eyes being available to everyone. I wonder if you'll even pick your gender or if they'll just refer to the player as "they" in the rare times a player's pronouns are used, letting you present as whatever you want whenever you want, and having that be the end of it. That would own.

Yeah, the Japanese just says "table mirror," but honestly even if it's a special mirror the furniture suggests it's an early game thing- not long after you get your house.

Edit: The original Japanese tweet says:
"By the way, you can rest assured that your appearance will be adjusted even on an uninhabited island!
If you have a mirror or a dresser, you can easily take a picture anytime ♪"

So yeah, any furniture it looks like!

The tweet for the character creator reads:
"After checking your name and birthday at the counter, you'll be asked to take a photo for your passport.
Get dressed as much as you like and become yourself who you want to be!"

No mention of choosing your gender!

No idea about specifics, but the industry in general is finding that it tends to be technically easier and more performant to design character customization systems to be gender agnostic, so especially for games with highly simplified or stylized characters like this is expect the norm to go that direction.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

mutata posted:

No idea about specifics, but the industry in general is finding that it tends to be technically easier and more performant to design character customization systems to be gender agnostic, so especially for games with highly simplified or stylized characters like this is expect the norm to go that direction.
Other than "we've always done it this way", there's no real good reason for this game to add in a gender code, then restrict clothing and hair if the villager body is a shapeless blob anyway. Especially if they're talking about being able to change your appearance at any time.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

PancakeTransmission posted:

Other than "we've always done it this way", there's no real good reason for this game to add in a gender code

this but replace 'game' with 'society'

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Other than "we've always done it this way", there's no real good reason for this game to add in a gender code, then restrict clothing and hair if the villager body is a shapeless blob anyway. Especially if they're talking about being able to change your appearance at any time.

I was checking out my Villager amiibo today and he has fingers. Well, a thumb and a flipperfinger. It's kinda gross.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

New Leaf had gender picking, but no restrictions on clothing. But you had to grind a bit to unlock the opposite gender hair cuts. There'd probably still be some value in having a "gender" option that's really just a pronoun choice.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I think some villagers would say "bro" or "ladybro" to a character depending on their gender. And Kapp'n would say creepy stuff to female characters and generally comment on the gender composition of groups he was carrying in his boat, "Yer a lucky lad with two ladies" or "[male character] you gotta be a gentleman and take care of [female character] out there," or that sort of thing. And of course it was harder to get hair of the opposite gender, and the two genders had two fixed set of eyes that were different.

In short, nothing of value will be lost if there's no gender in this game.

Edit:

Bleck posted:

this but replace 'game' with 'society'

Eiba fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 26, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I for one look forward to our Enby Island Overlords.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ACPocketNews/status/1232534212760211456

For those who don't like videos

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't think of a single instance in an Animal Crossing game where you're referred to with third person pronouns either.

You're talking to everyone so everyone just says "You"

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't think of a single instance in an Animal Crossing game where you're referred to with third person pronouns either.

You're talking to everyone so everyone just says "You"
I think if a player visited your town your villagers would say something like, "I liked [visitor]. [He/she] seemed like a cool cat" or that type of thing. But I don't think it'd come off as weird for them to just say "they".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Villagers definitely had some gender specific comments though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

Villagers definitely had some gender specific comments though.

Yeah was about to say this.

If you wear a dress or anything using the dress model the villagers will go "wait aren't you a boy? Oh well if people have a problem they can get over themselves, live your best life quacker"
I know this because I saw someone design a pirate coat using the dress model and I tried to wear it for a bit :v:

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
Yeah I spent a significant amount of time in New Leaf with pigtails and a seifuku just because I thought it was cool that you could unlock those options

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I remember getting that kind of dialogue every so often in New Leaf because I was a boy and I had an Elite Beat Agent outfit based on a dress. I could never find that outfit again... I sure hope it's easier to find design codes than hoping you find a tumblr this time around.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

This really isn't much better originally considering he's Isabelle's brother

I mean they are dogs but still

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

According to the comments in the thread, in 2015 when that was posted Lottie was running the account. I pray that they are correct.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was from when HHD came out and Lottie ran the account.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It was from when HHD came out and Lottie ran the account.

What this means for cosmetics and animal testing in this world, we do not know

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I believe Animal Testing was scrapped alongside Mario 128

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Someone on the BellTreeForums posted a video showing the cloud wallpaper in a room moving. The loving clouds are moving!

At the 6:00 mark, the birthday party scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6QN8ou709o

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm a bit disappointed that there isn't a lot of black feminine hairstyles like longer locs since they have it super short instead.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Idia posted:

I'm a bit disappointed that there isn't a lot of black feminine hairstyles like longer locs since they have it super short instead.

I want options to become a genderfluid furry. :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/AC_Isabelle/status/1232596398396379136?s=20

English tweets suggest no gender selection.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

And the second part

https://twitter.com/animalcrossing/status/1232675303715041284

Doesn't show as many options and no funky music either

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

There is that more hairstyle option you get from nook miles so there's definitely gonna be more.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

RIP Shampoodle

Chronicler of Dongs
Apr 22, 2003

~*~ Magic Mittens ~*~

a pompadour better be available as a choice and not just through wearing the regent wig again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Its possible Harriet might still be in in some capacity. We know you don't start with all the hairstyles unlocked so she might be a travelling character like Sahara?