Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

I get what he's saying but I can't be the only person that read that whole thing and got douche chills

The man could have easily ignored every criticism and refused to discuss the fanbase’s concerns just like nearly every other showrunner in Trek history, but yeah no, let’s just go ahead and assume he’s a douchebag after acknowledging fan issues and thoughtfully laying out his reasoning for those choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don’t even know what about that is supposed to be douchey

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The man could have easily ignored every criticism and refused to discuss the fanbase’s concerns just like nearly every other showrunner in Trek history, but yeah no, let’s just go ahead and assume he’s a douchebag after acknowledging fan issues and thoughtfully laying out his reasoning for those choices.

And that's why there's incest twins and not because game of thrones did it. Because there's thoughtful thematic reasons and what hahaha

"Would you buy a book called the suggestions of acquisition?"

I probably should have been more diplomatic in my choice of words, I don't literally think the guy's a douche but having seen the show so far I think that maybe not being Rick Berman is a low bar to clear

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Tighclops posted:

I get what he's saying but I can't be the only person that read that whole thing and got douche chills

I think you might be.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

zoux posted:

I don’t even know what about that is supposed to be douchey

I really wouldn't waste the time trying to understand it. Moronic white noise posts are Tighclops' stock-in-trade.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I really wouldn't waste the time trying to understand it. Moronic white noise posts are Tighclops' stock-in-trade.

:ironicat:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like Disco, but I still wonder if Fuller’s The Cage-inspired aesthetic and anthology structured version of the show would have been better or worse.

I really feel the three Fuller-penned scripts of Discovery ended up being a millstone around its neck that it took a whole season to properly exorcise. Episode three, the first time we actually saw the Discovery and met most of the regular cast, was a particular problem, painting a far darker image of Starfleet and the Federation than anything in Picard. Everyone's a jerk for no reason, prison labor, and a general theme that Burnham is being unfairly made a pariah for making the Hard But Necessary Decisions.

Based on those scripts, I really think we dodged a bullet when Fuller was let go.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

I really feel the three Fuller-penned scripts of Discovery ended up being a millstone around its neck that it took a whole season to properly exorcise. Episode three, the first time we actually saw the Discovery and met most of the regular cast, was a particular problem, painting a far darker image of Starfleet and the Federation than anything in Picard. Everyone's a jerk for no reason, prison labor, and a general theme that Burnham is being unfairly made a pariah for making the Hard But Necessary Decisions.

Based on those scripts, I really think we dodged a bullet when Fuller was let go.

They were heavily rewritten though?

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
okay so i finally looked up just a clip of the orville because picard blows and star trek isn't coming back at least for a good long while

so i watched this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOIPwKM7vM0

yep, this is a star trek fan show all right. i have no context for anything at all in this show except this, but this idea of putting humans in a zoo, total star trek and afaik, not been done. looks like a fun episode. also there is some 'we humans used to imprison animals in a zoo.....in the bad old days' stuff.

so like. i guess i'm gonna watch the orville now. seth macfarlane was a powerful deterrent but as long as he doesn't try to be funny too often i will tolerate him until i inevitably start to like him if the show is good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Open Source Idiom posted:

They were heavily rewritten though?

The first episode of Discovery is essentially Fuller's in its entirety, while the second was basically half Fuller and half Berg / Harberts. Berg and Harberts said from the beginning that they considered episodes three and four of the season to be "their" pilot of the show, which is why they were able to convince CBS to pay for an extra two episodes for that season (15 from 13).

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Angry Salami posted:

Episode three, the first time we actually saw the Discovery and met most of the regular cast, was a particular problem, painting a far darker image of Starfleet and the Federation than anything in Picard. Everyone's a jerk for no reason, prison labor, and a general theme that Burnham is being unfairly made a pariah for making the Hard But Necessary Decisions.

It's a ship being run as a black ops warship by a captain from the mirror universe, what exactly do you think the atmosphere on board it should have been?

In that very episode Burnham and even the other prisoners brought on board with her immediately recognize something is wrong.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

large_gourd posted:

yep, this is a star trek fan show all right. i have no context for anything at all in this show except this, but this idea of putting humans in a zoo, total star trek and afaik, not been done. looks like a fun episode. also there is some 'we humans used to imprison animals in a zoo.....in the bad old days' stuff.

Literally an episode of the animated series.

Most of season 1 of The Orville are just rehashed versions of old Star Trek plots.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
“Humans in a zoo” is also a big part of the first ever Star Trek pilot.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well i stand corrected. never watch TAS, and only like half of TOS - not big on it really. and actually i'm fine with some rehashes anyway. this is like, show to watch before bed stuff i'm after.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Angry Salami posted:

I would say that episode two is where things start getting weird. Like, I'm not hugely comfortable with the whole "the Federation are jerks now" hot take Picard is running with but in the second episode of Discovery Burnham gets sentenced to life by a council of literally-cloaked-in-shadows superior officers right out of Dystopian YA Lit 101. It's kind of amazing that somebody thought that was a good idea and ran with it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

large_gourd posted:

well i stand corrected. never watch TAS, and only like half of TOS - not big on it really. and actually i'm fine with some rehashes anyway. this is like, show to watch before bed stuff i'm after.

Yeah, The Orville’s not bad and the second season is a huge improvement, but parts of it really just feel like Seth smashing random TNG/TOS/VOY A and B plots together. It’s much better when it tries to do its own thing.

I don’t consider it “the one true Trek” like some people, but I definitely dig it and I want to see it run for 7 seasons just to see how good it can get.

ed: One thing I will give kudos to Orville for is consistently knocking it out of the park with guest stars.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 26, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

ed: One thing I will give kudos to Orville for is consistently knocking it out of the park with guest stars.

Also, the music.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

Also, the music.

Oh god yeah, I almost forgot. The music is phenomenal, to the point where I never skip the intro theme on rewatch. That’s the one thing I don’t mind the show aping from TNG because none of Jeff Russo’s Disco/Picard work screams “Star Trek” to me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Timby posted:

The first episode of Discovery is essentially Fuller's in its entirety, while the second was basically half Fuller and half Berg / Harberts. Berg and Harberts said from the beginning that they considered episodes three and four of the season to be "their" pilot of the show, which is why they were able to convince CBS to pay for an extra two episodes for that season (15 from 13).

I've not read that, to be fair, but I'm still a little confused as to what Akiva Goldsman's role was? He's credited for the teleplay, along with Fuller, and Alex Kurztman has a "story by" credit as well.

Fuller's not credited for the teleplay for either of his other two "story by" credits either, so I suspect very little of his work made it into the final episode tbh.

Mal-3 posted:

I would say that episode two is where things start getting weird. Like, I'm not hugely comfortable with the whole "the Federation are jerks now" hot take Picard is running with but in the second episode of Discovery Burnham gets sentenced to life by a council of literally-cloaked-in-shadows superior officers right out of Dystopian YA Lit 101. It's kind of amazing that somebody thought that was a good idea and ran with it.

FWIW, that was episode three? But yeah, it's still off.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 26, 2020

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I think Fuller gets way too much blame for Discovery. The line that always sticks out to me as just dumb from the series is the episode where they come back from the mirror universe and they are like "oh no the entire federation has been destroyed" and the next episode its like lost 25% of its territory, the obvious bullshit for drama and immediate rollback just felt cheap. Like nothing in Discovery can just be minor it all has to be galaxy ending or the best thing ever, like that device they threw together in 5 minutes that harnessed what was it every black hole in the galaxy?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Picard: [shouting, shaking] stop killing people!
Every other character: lol no

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I like The Orville a lot but it definitely feels like it's taking a bit much from the TNG-ish shows.

It does feel to me a lot like how people talk about the first couple of seasons for the other shows (i.e. TNG) though. That there's a good premise in there, and some good moments flirting with you, but it's not quite there yet and they're still trying to figure out what doesn't quite work. I am optimistic that they'll continue improving in season 3 and find their rhythm more, growing up in to its own show. The directing needs a lot of improvement however, especially with some of the outdoor shoots they do, but the bigger-story writing and stuff onboard the ship is going great I think.

I've only seen a tiny bit (1.5 episodes) of disco so I don't have an accurate picture of that show, but I didn't get that same feeling from the show, I can't see it changing to the point where I think it's enjoyable at all.

Picard's alright.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 26, 2020

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

FWIW, that was episode three? But yeah, it's still off.

No, it's at the very end of episode two. I double-checked 'cos I wasn't sure if I had remembered that right or if my memory was exaggerating poo poo, and there it was.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Shut up about this dumb nerd poo poo and watch Sir Patrick Stewart answering the internet's asinine questions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdLj_8Bo4yo

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mal-3 posted:

No, it's at the very end of episode two. I double-checked 'cos I wasn't sure if I had remembered that right or if my memory was exaggerating poo poo, and there it was.

Huh, thanks. I guess I watched them together and they must have blurred.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh god yeah, I almost forgot. The music is phenomenal, to the point where I never skip the intro theme on rewatch. That’s the one thing I don’t mind the show aping from TNG because none of Jeff Russo’s Disco/Picard work screams “Star Trek” to me.

You can really see the unabashed glee in Seth's eyes when the orchestra plays in the Isaac/Claire romance episode

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I've not read that, to be fair, but I'm still a little confused as to what Akiva Goldsman's role was? He's credited for the teleplay, along with Fuller, and Alex Kurztman has a "story by" credit as well.

Fuller's not credited for the teleplay for either of his other two "story by" credits either, so I suspect very little of his work made it into the final episode tbh.

Goldsman was brought on as an executive producer after CBS started getting cold feet about Fuller, and then he was hired to shepherd the writers' room after Fuller got fired (because he had only produced two scripts in like two years, and a broad outline for the rest of the season). Basically the way Discovery's first three episodes went:

1) Almost 100 percent Fuller
2) Goldsman and Kurtzman and Berg and Harberts rewriting Fuller's second script pretty heavily
3) Fuller getting a "story by" credit on episode 3 because they had to dig out from Fuller's moronic "Burnham is a traitor" plotline.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I always thought the Fuller setup had potential, even if it had some big holes in the logic of the war/treason storyline. I definitely like it better than most everything that came after it in season 1.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You can really see the unabashed glee in Seth's eyes when the orchestra plays in the Isaac/Claire romance episode

It was a real full orchestra that they brought in, Seth insisted.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I just binged all 5 episodes of Picard and I feel like it hasn’t really gotten started yet. Oh well, I like the sights and sounds.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In the new Picard Countdown comic series, the post-Picard captain of the Enterprise E is Worf.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Peachfart posted:

It was a real full orchestra that they brought in, Seth insisted.

Yeah. I don't use "delightful" often but it fits for that scene tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awuAT2G6kQA

e: apparently it's the same orchestra that does all the music on the show. Imagine being part of an orchestra and you get to go on a TV show and perform in full alien prosthetics!

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

socialsecurity posted:

I think Fuller gets way too much blame for Discovery. The line that always sticks out to me as just dumb from the series is the episode where they come back from the mirror universe and they are like "oh no the entire federation has been destroyed" and the next episode its like lost 25% of its territory, the obvious bullshit for drama and immediate rollback just felt cheap. Like nothing in Discovery can just be minor it all has to be galaxy ending or the best thing ever, like that device they threw together in 5 minutes that harnessed what was it every black hole in the galaxy?

The entire Klingon war was just awful and it's the premise the entire series hinges on.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Gonz posted:

In the new Picard Countdown comic series, the post-Picard captain of the Enterprise E is Worf.

Americas have it so cool with all the comics, AfterTreks, conventions. I reee every time I'm reminded about it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Duckula posted:

The entire Klingon war was just awful and it's the premise the entire series hinges on.

The premise and the idea of following a cashiered officer during it isn't a bad idea.

Just, yknow the execution was a bit balls.

Remember the first trailer? I really thought it was going to have two captains and ships featured predominantly (and they're Michelle Yeoh and Jason Isaacs? Hell yeah!) with a young junior officer caught in conflicting loyalties between their radically different approaches. Like they'd both have merits in a classic moral dilemma situation. Something we'd never really seen before. It's a pretty good trailer (music and empty trailer speeches aside) for different show.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 26, 2020

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think they should have stuck with Fuller and let him have his try. By bottling it they left us with a worst of both worlds situation for Discovery.

And really, Star Trek needs at least one series made by a high quality modern showrunner with a singular vision and ability to realise it. Lest we forever be stuck in the twilight lands of sixth generation pirated VHS plotlines (Orville) and shows struggling not to drown in the storytelling grey water that is the Kurtzmen & Berman styles.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 26, 2020

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
But the Orville is just like tv when I was young and my parents only hated me a little bit. We need to go back. We need to go back to when story,Ines were ‘what if Aliens were racist’ and ‘what if a robot had a dick’ and my favourite ‘what if that robot had dreams about stabbing the ships counsellor in the form of a cake’.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It was a peptide cake

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

But the Orville is just like tv when I was young and my parents only hated me a little bit. We need to go back. We need to go back to when story,Ines were ‘what if Aliens were racist’ and ‘what if a robot had a dick’ and my favourite ‘what if that robot had dreams about stabbing the ships counsellor in the form of a cake’.

This is a weirdly reductive take on The Orville

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I quite like the Orville but it is absolutely and intentionally a TNG pastiche, which I don't have a problem with at all, because I loved TNG. Seth loves it too and you can tell, and that sincerity of it is part of the appeal. It makes sense why people who were hoping new Star Treks would be more like the older series would prefer it to the newer ones.