Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Bofast posted:

Did you try biking around any of the lakes? I was thinking of biking around at least one lake and maybe taking one day at the Fuji-Q Highland park.

We walked all the way around lake Kawaguchi and there was plenty of people doing it on rental bikes, definitely a good call. There's some sightseeing busses that goes around a bunch of the lakes and stops at lots of interesting little spots, we went to the wind and ice caves, coming from Australia seeing underground volcanic caves full of ice was pretty cool and novel.

We did Fuji-Q too, easily the best roller coasters I've been on but that's not a very long list lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
ghost
house

ghost
house

GHOST
HOUSE

G H O S T
H O U S E

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

*Japanese Distilleries: we want to do a distillery day; what distilleries particularly stand out? We were planning for Tokyo, but it may wind up being Osaka or Hiroshima. Whiskey is definitely the liquor of choice, but I'm totally down to try uniquely-Japanese liquor (or really anything you can't get in the States). This applies even if it's not good; novelty is sufficient.

When are you coming here again? All major Japanese whisky distilleries are either currently closed to tours or will be closing by the end of the month.
You should be able to find a minor sake brewery and/or shochu maker somewhere that is still open though.

edit: oh, March 3. Yeah you're probably SOL.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 26, 2020

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Whelp, just had my flight in March on China Air rescheduled. They changed my leg from Taipei to Japan so that it now leaves the day before my flight (on the same airline) from the US to Taipei

:psyduck:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stringent posted:

Given the intense likelihood that a couple hundred people have decided to ride out their onsetting flu symptoms rather than risk going a few grand in the hole by visiting the doctor I like my odds in Japan better than the US atm.

Once again the universe conspires to own me.

http://www.news24.jp/articles/2020/02/26/06600827.html posted:

大手保険会社、オリックス生命保険では24日夜、東京・新宿区にあるオフィスで働く協力会社の社員が新型コロナウイルスに感染していることがわかった。このオフィスではおよそ800人が働いていて、25日は全員を自宅待機とし、オフィスや入居するビルのエレベーターなどの消毒を行ったという。26日は濃厚接触者を除き出勤を認めているが、当面、出勤は最小限にとどめるという。

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

zmcnulty posted:

When are you coming here again? All major Japanese whisky distilleries are either currently closed to tours or will be closing by the end of the month.
You should be able to find a minor sake brewery and/or shochu maker somewhere that is still open though.

edit: oh, March 3. Yeah you're probably SOL.
Sunovabitch.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

https://www.suntory.co.jp/factory/yamazaki/
Woah the Yamazaki calendar is completely blocked off until "further notice" x___x

But I just booked a free shuttle bus to a beer factory/buffet (Asahi Brewery, Saijo) for my brother's visit :peanut:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I just found out that people can graffiti evangelical Christian signboards like these
http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/monzou/christ.html

and change 神 to ネコ (GOD to CAT)
Please GIS "キリスト ネコ 看板"
https://www.google.com/search?q=%E3%82%AD%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88+%E3%83%8D%E3%82%B3+%E7%9C%8B%E6%9D%BF

And here's a bonus Christian signboard generator lmao
https://christ.every-little.com/

Example: "The judgement of CATS comes suddenly"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

You might want to check on that one too. Because the homepage says no tours since Feb 22.
https://www.asahibeer.co.jp/brewery/shikoku/

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I called today and the restaurant is still open.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

ntan1 posted:

Actually the US is probably OK for now (but may not be later). There were four cases in the bay area about 4 weeks ago, but no other additional cases have popped up here. The US is doing some really strong checks at all airports right now, including flagging anyone who they have history of visiting Asia.

But we might be hosed in a month or two.

lol the us is not doing strong checks at all. I came in directly from China, got my temp taken and then was told to "not go to crowded places until I have to".

That was after I was put in a special line where I and the rest of the people freshly in from China waited for about an hour in close proximity to everyone else coming through immigration.

I'm on like day 12 of sitting around inside and I'm one of about 3 people I know who left China and did any sort of self-quarantine because the gov is not really checking this at all.

And news came out today the CDC tests are faulty (for the minuscule % of people who actually went to get tested)

tldr: I wouldn't be afraid going from the US to japan cuz Japan is very likely cheaper safer than the US for this kind of thing unless you happen to be on a cruise ship docked in Japanese waters, which seems like the worst-case scenario next to "part of Korean cult" and "just in Wuhan".

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Magna Kaser posted:

tldr: I wouldn't be afraid going from the US to japan cuz Japan is very likely cheaper safer than the US for this kind of thing unless you happen to be on a cruise ship docked in Japanese waters, which seems like the worst-case scenario next to "part of Korean cult" and "just in Wuhan".

I still haven't canceled my trip to Japan in late April yet but I am starting to worry that everything is going to be closed if we go...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mons Hubris posted:

I still haven't canceled my trip to Japan in late April yet but I am starting to worry that everything is going to be closed if we go...

This is what I'm worried about, now. And I'm supposed to leave on Tuesday.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good thing my plans are just to bum around konbini, tokyu hands, and a bunch of soba places

Lotsa luck closing those, suckers

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

good plans!!!!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think you’ll find good plans are the only kinds of plans I make

In non shitposting news, I checked and airbnb has a bunch of new availability around my stay. I guess people are really cancelling this far out.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Martytoof posted:

Good thing my plans are just to bum around konbini, tokyu hands, and a bunch of soba places

Lotsa luck closing those, suckers

Well, I guess that’s basically my plan too. But with some museums and sushi thrown in.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Thanatosian posted:

This is what I'm worried about, now. And I'm supposed to leave on Tuesday.

Same but 36 hours from now! So far so good, all my plans are still available, but a lot can happen over the course of the next week.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I'm leaving on Sunday after two weeks :( my plans were mostly walking a lot, eating and hanging around random coffee places (oh and buying tons of nerd poo poo)

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

Japan's loving up too and has a lot of issues.

This dude hate Abe with a passion which informs but he cites a lot of stuff that underlines how poorly at a national level they're handling things, and in Japan people go to work and outside sick alll the drat time, and the chances that things could soon go bad and fast (or already are and it hasn't been detected yet) are far from zero.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/opinion/coronavirus-japan-abe.html

I'm not fearmongering here; we're mostly young healthy and chances are that even if we were to get it we'd survive, but at the same time Japanese leadership is not at all competent with things like this, and even down to a smaller institutional level hospital leadership etc. would be more than happy to just not test people so they don't become that hospital with several confirmed cases.

At a lot of levels, from density of population/use of mass transit, cultural practices like not taking time off when sick, and lack of leadership at all levels willing to make hard decisive decisions, Japan has the potential to be very bad.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

Same but 36 hours from now! So far so good, all my plans are still available, but a lot can happen over the course of the next week.
I really wanted to do the Ghibli museum and a couple of distillery/sake brewery days, plus a bunch of other museums/tourist attractions (Tokyo Skytower, etc.).

I really, really don't want to get there an have to spend two weeks in our tiny-rear end hotel rooms because everything is closed. I feel like we're going to get there, then a day or two later everything will shut down, which is the worst, as cancelling would only cost me $300 on the plane ticket, but getting hosed like that costs me the hotel rooms, the PTO, and the plane tickets.

Half-tempted to look at hotels and see if we can book someplace nicer for cheaper, now.

EDIT: Jesus. Just re-booked both hotel rooms (Tokyo and Kyoto) through Hotels.com (where I'd initially booked them); same hotels, same rooms; shaved ~35% off the total price.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 27, 2020

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

EDIT: Jesus. Just re-booked both hotel rooms (Tokyo and Kyoto) through Hotels.com (where I'd initially booked them); same hotels, same rooms; shaved ~35% off the total price.

Cool I'm glad I read this, I could rebook my last hotel before going home, almost 50% cheaper. Wish I had checked this with my other places too.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I'm at Odaiba right now and it's kinda quiet but everything is open. I think y'all are overthinking it, japan still rules even if all you do is get drunk and eat food at izakaya and family mart

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I almost want to leave Japan just so I can get as hype about combini as y'all do.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

field balm posted:

I'm at Odaiba right now and it's kinda quiet but everything is open. I think y'all are overthinking it, japan still rules even if all you do is get drunk and eat food at izakaya and family mart

I'll be quoting this post again, but next time it's just gonna say "lol" under it.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Also my testing has found that the blue suntory is the best happoshu if you're being cheap at the combini and don't feel like going nuts on those 9% chuhis. If money is no object then yebisu is your boy. There doesn't seem to be any of the cool seasonal beers out at the mo

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

sale on Banksy art posted:

I'll be quoting this post again, but next time it's just gonna say "lol" under it.

Lol yea it's already gotten noticeably busier. I guess we just got here early lol

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

field balm posted:

I live in Seattle, and while it's definitely not the same, if I want to get drunk and eat food at an izakaya, I can do it without spending a ton of money on airfare and hotels. This is my first big vacation in three years, so I'd like to make the most of it. It would be really disappointing if all the tourist stuff I'd like to see is closed.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

I live in Seattle, and while it's definitely not the same, if I want to get drunk and eat food at an izakaya, I can do it without spending a ton of money on airfare and hotels. This is my first big vacation in three years, so I'd like to make the most of it. It would be really disappointing if all the tourist stuff I'd like to see is closed.

I get it. I guess I'm trying to be positive, we've still got a week left and closures haven't affected anything for us yet so fingers crossed for your trip friend

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

field balm posted:

The bigger point is that the government is rumbling into action, and while everything is open now, there’s no guarantee it’ll stay that way one week from now.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I once bought a sandwich from a Canadian 7-11 and the cheese on it tasted like gasoline.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3

field balm posted:

There doesn't seem to be any of the cool seasonal beers out at the mo

i bought an asahi something or other with cherry blossoms on it and it was gross. in case anyone was curious.

also if you're cheap, stock up on booze at donki.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Lol, they just canceled school until April. Thx Abe.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Spanish Inquisition posted:

i bought an asahi something or other with cherry blossoms on it and it was gross. in case anyone was curious.

also if you're cheap, stock up on booze at donki.

Usually Asahi with the cherry blossoms on it is just normal Asahi with a special can they put out every year for sakura season.

So you're right it's gross because Asahi is hot garbage the moment it gets anything less than ice cold.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
https://www.asahibeer.co.jp/news/2020/0108_4.html

It was probably this which is just special packaging for normal Super Dry lol

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3

LimburgLimbo posted:

https://www.asahibeer.co.jp/news/2020/0108_4.html

It was probably this which is just special packaging for normal Super Dry lol

yeah i got got big time. lesson learned.

has anyone seen kirin's ume chu hai in the tokyo area ever? is that flavor still available? i had some in hiroshima / miyajima when i was here in fall 2018, but haven't seen it since. what a treat.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Spanish Inquisition posted:

yeah i got got big time. lesson learned.

has anyone seen kirin's ume chu hai in the tokyo area ever? is that flavor still available? i had some in hiroshima / miyajima when i was here in fall 2018, but haven't seen it since. what a treat.

https://www.kirin.co.jp/products/list/item/rtd/hyoketsuume.html

This one? Yeah it's not a limited time thing and is usually just around. Should be somewhere in conbini or supermarkets.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Stringent posted:

Lol, they just canceled school until April. Thx Abe.

ffffffffffffffffft motherfuck

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
The last message from my friend in Tokyo is suddenly way less funny.

"By April when you come, Tokyo will either be Raccoon City or business as usual.

Hopefully the later."

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

The last message from my friend in Tokyo is suddenly way less funny.

"By April when you come, Tokyo will either be Raccoon City or business as usual.

Hopefully the later."

:ohdear:

*AKIRA intensifies*