Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

PJOmega posted:

Is "The Sorcerer Supreme" one of Strange's cards or a random neutral? If it's the latter that'd be pretty amusing.

It’s listed as a Basic card on the deck list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
How does the Iron Man ally work? Can you just not play it if any player has Iron Man as their hero identity?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Is "The Sorcerer Supreme" one of Strange's cards or a random neutral? If it's the latter that'd be pretty amusing.
Neutral title. It's a unique, so only one copy. I assume eventually we will have other characters that can use it, like Wiccan, Magik, Scarlet Witch. Maybe Ghost Rider. Really big maybes would be Doom or Loki?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LifeLynx posted:

How does the Iron Man ally work? Can you just not play it if any player has Iron Man as their hero identity?

Pretty much. Same for when Black Widow hits as playable.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Pretty much. Same for when Black Widow hits as playable.
Apparently pack after Dr. Strange is Hulk. He was briefly shown on FFG's upcoming page. So a lot more characters coming with rules like that.

Also to note, there might eventually be a a Riri Williams or Arno Stark Iron Man hero. The Tony Stark Iron Man ally could be played when they are played, but not the allies. I think it might be a while before we see a hero's signature allies as heroes, because they have to be included in the decks (Black Cat, Tigra, War Machine), but any heroes or aspect allies can get the opposite of them made pretty soon I guess.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Brother Voodoo was the Sorcerer Supreme for a while, so I expect we'll get there eventually.

I feel bad about a card (Sorcerer Supreme) that only one hero can play, so I suspect we'll have to get another Mystic hero in the near future. My money's on Scarlet Witch.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fritzler posted:

Neutral title. It's a unique, so only one copy. I assume eventually we will have other characters that can use it, like Wiccan, Magik, Scarlet Witch. Maybe Ghost Rider. Really big maybes would be Doom or Loki?

Tony Stark :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fritzler posted:

Apparently pack after Dr. Strange is Hulk. He was briefly shown on FFG's upcoming page. So a lot more characters coming with rules like that.

That'll be interesting. I've seen a couple of decklists that seem to primarily focus on getting Hulk out and ramping him up.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Does anyone either know where I can find high fidelity PDFs of the standard boss cards online or tips for making good scans? I want to print a set for each villain so that I do not need to find those 7 cards either before or after every game.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Shadow225 posted:

Does anyone either know where I can find high fidelity PDFs of the standard boss cards online or tips for making good scans? I want to print a set for each villain so that I do not need to find those 7 cards either before or after every game.

If you have those cards, you could put them in a binder page and use them like that? If I'm understanding correctly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am new to the lord of the rings card game and trying to figure out where to go from the core card set. I noticed a lot of expansions are out of print now. Unsure what to get and looking for suggestions.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
I've personally haven't played it but I believe they've killed it off so I imagine just grab what you can at a reasonable price. If you are looking to play them in order then you can just look on their site on the product page and it has a code (looks like its ME). The Shadows of Mirkwood appears to be the first cycle after the core set.

edit: Also somehow I ended up with an extra copy of Captain America and Ms. Marvel so if someone is looking for these hit me up on discord.

Losem fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 26, 2020

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I am new to the lord of the rings card game and trying to figure out where to go from the core card set. I noticed a lot of expansions are out of print now. Unsure what to get and looking for suggestions.

https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

This hasn't been updated in years, but still has quite a few of the expansions in there.

Availability is certainly the main issue on the expansions. Going in order is tricky because of that and some of the old stuff is really quite bad. Particularly Shadows of Mirkwood. If you haven't played any other co-op LCG's it might still be a good start, but it is showing it's age.

The expansions build up on earlier ones to an extent, as the difficulty assumes you have earlier cards available. Saga expansions are the exception to this, as they are more standalone. These are the small boxes about the books.

I'd say the best way to go is to get any saga expansions available, then whatever expansion box. You need the expansion box to play any scenario in them, so these are a must. Then pick any available scenarios to the expansions you have disregarding order. Last one is the Shadows of Mirkwood scenarios, in any order. Naturally, if possible to go on release order, do that.

The game is amazing and hopefully you will be able to get a decent collection. I've been playing since 2015 adding new scenarios in order. Now it is much slower to find the next one sadly.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Going to depend on what is available really. Some boxes add in a whole new archtype for deckbuilding (eg the Lost Realm makes Dunedain decks viable), some just add in bits and pieces to boost existing ones (eg A Shadow in the East doesn't have a singular focus). I think the former is better for new players since it opens up your options more.

My ideal recommendations are

• The Black Riders. A great box in its own right and also the start of the game's retelling of the LotR books. The Sagas are one of the main appeals of the game and the LotR sets are more well-rounded than the Hobbit (which have some wonky quests and a shitload of dwarves). Buying this gives you the backbone of a hobbit deck.
  • Wilds of Rhovanion. This deluxe expansion is a great way to kickstart your collection with the strong and fun Dale archtype built around well-equipped allies. The quests are revamped versions of the stuff in the core box so it won't be as interesting in that regard
  • Shadows of Mirkwood Cycle. This is the followup to the core set, meaning the quests and cards are simpler than more recent stuff and integrate well with what you start with. The downside is that you can see the age of the design, both in the quests and the design.
  • Khazad-dum. The game was dominated by dwarves early on thanks to a combination of the Hobbit box sets, the final AP of the Shadows of Mirkwood Cycle and the Dwarrowdelf cycle. This is the starting point for the latter cycle.

But maybe none of that is available for you. Darkling Door has a good series on what it's like playing various expansions with only the core set.

The one I'd really advise against is the Against the Shadow cycle, which is when the game was the most difficult relative to the card pool. Going straight there from the core set is going to be a world of pain.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 26, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you for the recommendations! Checked these our on the Fantasy Flight website, and Amazon, and they were all sold out, or in the case of Amazon not available or being sold way above their normal price. :( same for on Ebay. I think i'll just start with the stand alone packs and buy one at a time of those that are available on Amazon.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Keep an eye out for The Steward's Fear and The Mumakil. You won't be able to play the scenarios without the relevant expansions (which is why I didn't recommend them) but they both provide the foundation for an archetype (Outlands and Haradrim respectively).

But yeah, availability will be a problem in general.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I also recently started and have picked up:
  • Core Set + all of the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle
  • Khazad-Dum + all of the Dwarrowdelf cycle
  • Heirs of Numenor + half of the Against the Shadow cycle (still missing The Steward's Fear, Druadan Forest, and Assault on Osgiliath)
  • All six of the Lord of the Rings saga expansions

And for the moment I think I'm pretty much "done", barring keeping an eye out for those missing Againts the Shadow AP's.

And this is what it all looks like, everything sleeved and packaged up together in a box meant for 4000 cards (though this is far less than 4000 because the sleeves take up a bunch of space). I have enough room for finishing off Against the Shadow hopefully, plus maybe one more Deluxe Expansion and its cycle if I ever want to buy more.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Thank you for the recommendations! Checked these our on the Fantasy Flight website, and Amazon, and they were all sold out, or in the case of Amazon not available or being sold way above their normal price. :( same for on Ebay. I think i'll just start with the stand alone packs and buy one at a time of those that are available on Amazon.

On the off chance you're in the UK or EU I'm looking to offload a ton of cards...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Thirsty Dog posted:

On the off chance you're in the UK or EU I'm looking to offload a ton of cards...

Oh hello.

If I said come in! doesn't jump on it, I might be interested if you're up for parceling some of it out.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Sure thing.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So Marvel Champions updated its rules as far as defending is concerned. Major changes are you can’t use defence cards in response for defending for other players as you have to be the target of the attack.

I thought for a minute that it looked like you had to defend to now actually use Defense cards but looking at other forums that’s not the case. I got a little confused about the “if no hero or ally defends its considered undefended” errata, but it looks like playing any Defense card still counts as you defending.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Drone posted:

Oh hello.

If I said come in! doesn't jump on it, I might be interested if you're up for parceling some of it out.

I am in the U.S. so they are all yours. :)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm also looking to get rid of my LotR stuff if anyone's interested. It's been pretty much sitting here since Arkham came out and took all my co-op LCG time. I got 2x Core, Khazad Dum, Heirs of Numenor, Voice of Isengard, and Lost realm deluxe boxes, Shadows of Mirkwood, Darrowdelf, Against the Shadow, and The Ring-Maker adventure packs, as well as Over Hill and Under Hill, ,On the Doorstep, The Black Riders, The Road Darkens, The Treason of Saurman, and The Land of Shadow saga packs.

Also I really wish Marvel Champions had better art. I've heard the gameplay is great from some friends, and people seem to be really raving about it but good grief it's ugly.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

alansmithee posted:

Also I really wish Marvel Champions had better art. I've heard the gameplay is great from some friends, and people seem to be really raving about it but good grief it's ugly.

Just got my core set today and was sleeveing all the cards with one of my students.

The art is very inconsistent because they're just grabbing panels from random comics. Also comic fans are super particular about which artists they like and don't like so it feels like they're trying to be inclusive.

I'm just wrapping up my own custom token set and will post the 'first draft' in a bit.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

I said come in! posted:

I have an extra copy of the Flame of the West saga box. If you're in the US I'll mail it to you for cost of shipping. PM me if you want.

e: I think I still have an extra copy anyway. I'm in the process of moving so I need to double check it didn't get tossed.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Pretty sure it's nothing to do with trying to appeal to a comics audience but rather Marvel not letting FFG commission their own illustrations. Probably some licensing or IP control clause. It's not exclusive to this game, either. If anyone has seen Marvel Legendary or the DC deck builder series, the bad art problem is present in basically all games with a comics IP. They seem to always use cropped art from comic panels.

Which is a shame since games like Arkham and GoT have great art, FFG is clearly willing to commission good artists for their card games.

Unrelated note, I just got an email from Asmodee. They're preparing to ship out my Thor preorder, I'm hyped.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

I have an extra copy of the Flame of the West saga box. If you're in the US I'll mail it to you for cost of shipping. PM me if you want.

e: I think I still have an extra copy anyway. I'm in the process of moving so I need to double check it didn't get tossed.

I'll PM you! Let me know if you find it. :)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Thirsty Dog posted:

Sure thing.

So what stuff ya got that you'd be up for parting with? I'm in Germany if that matters.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Give me a few days to work out what I still have!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ojetor posted:

Pretty sure it's nothing to do with trying to appeal to a comics audience but rather Marvel not letting FFG commission their own illustrations. Probably some licensing or IP control clause. It's not exclusive to this game, either. If anyone has seen Marvel Legendary or the DC deck builder series, the bad art problem is present in basically all games with a comics IP. They seem to always use cropped art from comic panels.

Which is a shame since games like Arkham and GoT have great art, FFG is clearly willing to commission good artists for their card games.

Unrelated note, I just got an email from Asmodee. They're preparing to ship out my Thor preorder, I'm hyped.

Marvel LCG does have some commissioned art. It’s usually more generic stuff and not the heroes themselves. Anything that actually credits an artist was commissioned.

Hopefully my FLGS gets Thor next week. They’ve gotten everything except Cap on time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've been watching for Cap to come into stock anywhere, and it looks like I'm just SOL for the foreseeable future. I've had to preorder the successive packs just to have a chance at them.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
drat shame that companies are still choosing to put bad art in their games, when instead they could copy Doomtown and put in masterpieces like this (from the upcoming expansion):

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Single Tight Female posted:

drat shame that companies are still choosing to put bad art in their games, when instead they could copy Doomtown and put in masterpieces like this (from the upcoming expansion):

Isn't that fanmade product tho?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
just hire the artist who did Dominion Intrigue's Shantytown and Harem for everything.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

PJOmega posted:

Isn't that fanmade product tho?

The people who make the game now are pretty much all old deadlands players but they formed a company and bought the IP and release expansions to retail so it's as official as it's always been.

Doomtown has continued normally since its demise, including the absolutely incestuous inner workings of the developers.

That card art is done by one of the playtesters(?) friends/possible girlfriend. Most of the new art is good to fine.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Single Tight Female posted:

I didn't know all this about Doomtown, everyone in my group just chucked their cards when the game "died". It wasn't even in a good place when that happened, IIRC. This card has one of the issues I had with the game: that's a lot of text and a bunch of extra steps to do a very minor thing. It blanks one ability for a turn, it doesn't even blank the entire card's text box.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

alansmithee posted:

I'm also looking to get rid of my LotR stuff if anyone's interested. It's been pretty much sitting here since Arkham came out and took all my co-op LCG time. I got 2x Core, Khazad Dum, Heirs of Numenor, Voice of Isengard, and Lost realm deluxe boxes, Shadows of Mirkwood, Darrowdelf, Against the Shadow, and The Ring-Maker adventure packs, as well as Over Hill and Under Hill, ,On the Doorstep, The Black Riders, The Road Darkens, The Treason of Saurman, and The Land of Shadow saga packs.

How much do you want for your cards?

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep

SettingSun posted:

I've been watching for Cap to come into stock anywhere, and it looks like I'm just SOL for the foreseeable future. I've had to preorder the successive packs just to have a chance at them.

Hit me up in Discord I've got an extra Cap and Ms. Marvel.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I said come in! posted:

How much do you want for your cards?

I sent you a message

The Black Stones posted:

Marvel LCG does have some commissioned art. It’s usually more generic stuff and not the heroes themselves. Anything that actually credits an artist was commissioned.

Hopefully my FLGS gets Thor next week. They’ve gotten everything except Cap on time.

Honestly it's not just the actual character art that bothers me. The layout, fonts, everything just looks bad imo. I actually don't mind the DC deckbuilder art, or Legendary so it's not like I'm super picky. Just kinda disappointed because FFG has made some absolutely amazing looking games (Netrunner and L5R especially). I know a couple of my friends checked it at Gencon and were so turned off they didn't bother playing it. One of them actually has a kid who wanted it and he got it for them and said it was just great gameplay, just looks terrible. Maybe I'll pick it up when they get a character I really like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

I didn't know all this about Doomtown, everyone in my group just chucked their cards when the game "died". It wasn't even in a good place when that happened, IIRC. This card has one of the issues I had with the game: that's a lot of text and a bunch of extra steps to do a very minor thing. It blanks one ability for a turn, it doesn't even blank the entire card's text box.

Can't imagine what you mean.

Since it came back again DT:R has taken on fans of the game with, as far as I can tell, no experience whatsoever in game design. They know what effects they want to see and get them regardless of whether they can be templated neatly at all. It's a mess.