Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

PurpleXVI posted:

What exactly happened with that game, anyway? Far as I understand it half the team quit for vague reasons leaving only the publicity guy fighting to keep the project alive.

Really bad project management. Like Colonel Kurtz bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

mysterious frankie posted:

Really bad project management. Like Colonel Kurtz bad.

But how does agile work with game development??

Oh

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

As a: Scrum Coach
I want to: Exterminate the Brutes

5 story points

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wanted a full sprint, and for my sins they gave me one

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Playing Metro Exodus on the PS4, the Caspian level. The skybox got a little rambunctious. It comes and goes every time I load a save.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's a box of sky all right, looks ok to me

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

owl_pellet posted:

Playing Metro Exodus on the PS4, the Caspian level. The skybox got a little rambunctious. It comes and goes every time I load a save.

Flat earth is real, Mad Mike is outside the skybox rn.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

LifeSunDeath posted:

Flat earth is real, Mad Mike is outside the skybox rn.

lmao, I saw your post right around when you made it and I was like idgi, but then I was reading the news just now...

Manwall!
Dec 27, 2004
Manwall es victorioso!
I don't know if this is my favorite game glitch, or if it was even a glitch at all, but I had something odd happen once while I was playing Earthbound. It happened probably 15 or more years ago so I've forgotten a lot of details and Google hasn't helped, so I figure I'd ask about it here to see if anyone else experienced it or knows what I'm talking about and can finally solve this mystery for me.

This is what I remember as best I can piece it together. Somehow I wound up taking the bus to Threed before rescuing Paula from the Happy Happy cult. I recruited Jeff, then took the bus back to Twoson and did Paula's rescue sequence. I took the bus back to Threed and did a couple more things (I can't remember what though) before deciding to save and turn the game off for the night. After saving, the game played the sound that happens whenever something mysterious and spooky is afoot (https://youtu.be/uQLvHUDEYOA). I thought that was really weird but didn't think much else of it. When I turned the game on the next day, all of my save files were erased.

I know for a fact my copy of Earthbound isn't a bootleg, and I figure I didn't trip the copy protection since I didn't get impossible hoards of enemies filling the screen. So what gives?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Could be an anti cheating measure? Very weird

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

As creepypastas go, I've read better

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
You probably saved in the hotel where Ness and Paula get kidnapped. My guess is that the memory used by the phone is used for something else during that sequence. Since you did things out of order, that sequence was likely still active in the background, got triggered by using the save, and did something that interrupted the save before the checksum got written.

Manwall!
Dec 27, 2004
Manwall es victorioso!
I'm not aware of Earthbound having anti cheating measures, so the phone I saved on being tied to something else seems the more likely explanation. I don't know a lot about how games actually work though, so I'm not sure. I also know I didn't really do anything to "break" the game. I just thought "hey I wonder if I can go get Jeff first" and it turns out I could. I just don't remember what the actual method was. I need to hook my SNES up and see if I can replicate it. I probably wouldn't even remember any of it happening if not for the sound effect in conjunction with losing all my saves making it seem purposeful.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Manwall! posted:

I'm not aware of Earthbound having anti cheating measures, so the phone I saved on being tied to something else seems the more likely explanation. I don't know a lot about how games actually work though, so I'm not sure. I also know I didn't really do anything to "break" the game. I just thought "hey I wonder if I can go get Jeff first" and it turns out I could. I just don't remember what the actual method was. I need to hook my SNES up and see if I can replicate it. I probably wouldn't even remember any of it happening if not for the sound effect in conjunction with losing all my saves making it seem purposeful.

Not sure about anti-cheat, but it has anti-piracy measures that sound similar to what happened with you:

quote:

...the game will check to see if the part of the cartridge that holds save files has less than 8KB of SRAM, since bootleg copies usually have more. If it does, the game will display an anti-piracy screen and then freeze. If the game is hacked to pass this screen, the game will display many more random enemies in an attempt to make the game less enjoyable, sometimes even adding enemies which normally don't appear in an area. Additionally, entering certain areas, such as the Twoson-Threed tunnel, will freeze the game. If the player manages to make it through this much harder version of the game, during the final boss fight with Giygas, the game will freeze and force the player to reset. When the player does, they will find that their save files have been completely deleted.

Maybe some weird interaction is causing the anti-piracy to trigger and delete all your saves even though it's well before the final boss.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I remember hearing stories about people using GameGenie codes or whatever they were called and running into the antipiracy measures by accident.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Cardiovorax posted:

I remember hearing stories about people using GameGenie codes or whatever they were called and running into the antipiracy measures by accident.

I didn’t even use a code. Didn’t have enemy swarms or anything, but once I reached gigyas it crashed and erased my saves. I just thought I broke the cart somehow, until I finished the game properly a few years later. Same cart and everything.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The Earthbound copy-protection can trigger on its own on a legitimate copy for reasons I'm not fully sure of; I encountered it a couple of times myself on a legitimate, store-bought copy back when I was a kid. The game becomes unrelentingly difficult, random encounters become increasingly overwhelming in number, and it's a complete SLOG trying to get through some areas in this state (Magicant in particular comes to mind). Then the game freezes sometime during the Giygas sequence and deletes your savefiles. Whoopsie-doodle~! ...I like Earthbound, but man, it really isn't trying to make that easy.

I had also beaten the game on that same cartridge without difficulty before and after encountering those problems, and didn't learn about the copy-protection weirdness until years later.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/2BNFZCI.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/KpCRvXs.mp4

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Been watching these for like a minute and have no idea what the glitch is.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Necrothatcher posted:

Been watching these for like a minute and have no idea what the glitch is.
Shooting way off to the right and up from where the aiming reticle is, I assume.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Zereth posted:

Shooting way off to the right and up from where the aiming reticle is, I assume.

I don't get the second one, but it is funny to see the thing suddenly fly up.
the first one is just your standard 0frame dodge combined with the third person problem of the aim line not being drawn from center screen to crosshair.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

terrenblade posted:

I don't get the second one, but it is funny to see the thing suddenly fly up.

The dragon is supposed to spit a fireball forwards, directly into the player who I now realize is in fact me, instead of launching it upwards at a 45 degree angle into outer space.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Oh, I have a couple clips I saved from the base release of World! Both are of the monster Bazelgeuse, and he's having an incredibly difficult time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pbzz-NV1Rg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHEv8FXq1Ks

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't think I'd have the heart to fight him at that point :smith:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I've been playing Morroblivion (the fan-made remake of Morrowind in the Oblivion engine), and this of course means it has all the glitches of the Oblivion engine, plus new, exciting glitches born of the pile of terrifying hacks needed to get some Morrowind game behaviours working in that engine.

A lot of this is fairly boring (conversation topics not showing up when they should, Havok freaking out and launching silverware around the room, etc), but I ran into something really weird the other day. Sadly I did not think to get it on video.

The scene: the South Wall Cornerclub, Balmora. I need to steal something from one of the patrons there. Fortunately, she likes to hang out in the infrequently-trafficked upper hallways rather than the crowded downstairs common room, and I have a recently acquired Ring of Chameleon, which lets me temporarily buff my stealth -- I should be able to wait until she's alone, then sneak up on her and pickpocket the book.

The time is ripe. I walk past her, exchanging greetings, then turn around, slip the ring onto my finger, and activate it. I become blurred and indistinct. And also, for some reason, irresistably interesting to everyone in the building. My target immediately turns around and walks up to me to stare at my face, but a few seconds behind her comes the entire population of the cornerclub, stampeding up the staircase to get a closer look at me. Before long I'm completely surrounded by NPCs and unable to move.

At this point I'm hoping they lose interest in me once the spell wears off, because there's no way I can fight the entire population of the South Wall, and even if I could it would break a bunch of quests I want to do, and it's been a while since I saved. I never got to find out, though.

See, Oblivion tries to keep NPCs in adjacent maps active, if it can. Sometimes this is useful -- if you get into a fight in the Vivec Underworks, you'll often find the guards patrolling the Canalworks, a single map transition away, coming to your aid. More often, it's just annoying, since it means you can no longer reliably escape pursuit by running through a door.

In this case, it means that passing NPCs in the streets of Balmora were affected by my aura of fascination as well.

Suddenly, more people are entering through the doorway to the street. The hall is now completely choked with NPCs. And apparently, some of these newcomers have a beef with the membership of the South Wall, because one of them suddenly starts beating one of the regulars into unconsciousness with her lantern. He fights back with his fists. A swing goes wild and connects with another NPC, who joins the fight.

The hall of "everyone stares at ToxicFrog in an unnerving manner" is now Balmora Thunderdome.

The chaos escalates rapidly. In less than a minute, at least two people are down -- unconscious or dead -- a third has turned invisible, and someone else is on fire. It's looking like I'll have to fight my way out after all, unless I can lock myself in the upstairs bedroom and hide until the carnage is over. Just then, however, Oblivion.exe solves the problem the only way it knows how: it crashes to desktop.

If this happens again I'll try to at least get screenshots, but I think I may be avoiding the Chameleon spell from now on.

ToxicFrog has a new favorite as of 00:54 on Mar 5, 2020

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ToxicFrog posted:

I think I may be avoiding the Chameleon spell from now on.

Use it to lead a cavalcade of guards into dungeons to clear out the monsters for you, like some kind of lovely self-serving pied piper. Combine with levitation to cause slavers to walk into pools of lava. See if you can make Vivec contract Corprus. Recognize the laws that shape your reality and bend them to your liking. Attain CHIM.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Makes perfect sense to me. Chameleons are pretty and interesting to look at. What else could that have possibly done?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What happens if you obtain a suit of passive total 100% Chamelon gear and equip it far enough away from anybody to prevent this form happening and then head to town?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1235477567731191808?s=21

Officially not a glitch but Ha. The tweet above showing the unlocked camera during cutscenes is pretty good too.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zereth posted:

What happens if you obtain a suit of passive total 100% Chamelon gear and equip it far enough away from anybody to prevent this form happening and then head to town?

In vanilla Oblivion (or Morrowind, IIRC), doing that makes you completely invisible. You can still fail at pickpocketing, but NPCs won't be able to see you to talk or fight with you, will flee in terror if you attack them and will be confused and angry if you try to talk to them. In effect it works like Invisibility except that it doesn't wear off when you interact with the world. It is one of several ways to absolutely break the poo poo out of the game.

With Supreme Magicka installed (which I have), it works a bit differently: chameleon is capped at 95%, but going above 100% gives you a layer of invisibility on top of that -- so you're completely invisible until you interact with something, at which point the invisibility shuts off for a few seconds and enemies get to roll vs. chameleon to notice you.

This of course assumes that what makes me fascinating to NPCs is casting Chameleon, not the chameleon status effect itself; if it's the latter, the answer is "as I enter the town, I am immediately trampled by a deluge of NPCs, then the game crashes".

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I would totally love a game that actually takes being invisible but being able to interact with the world in account properly. Someone should totally be able to feel you pickpocket them, but if they turn around and nobody's there, they should get suspicious and start asking nervously if someone's there. If someone else is there, they should blame that other person. If you pick up a piece of pottery in front of someone, they should freak the gently caress out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Chameleon makes you better than invisible. Invisibility still has flaws - for example, going invisible after an enemy is already in combat with you will not actually make them lose track of you or cease to attack. 100% Chameleon, on the other hand, basically makes you a non-entity to the NPCs. You can punch a guy in the face and not only will he not hit back, he'll often not even go into an alarm state. Just "Oof! So how about them mudcrabs." As far as the AI is concerned, it means you simply do not exist.

I think there is even a handful of opportunities where it can straight-up prevent quest scripting from firing, so it breaks the game in more than one way.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I found my nhl glitch video https://youtu.be/RDESlSR4HzU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
My favourite little glitch is when you go slightly too fast and the game needs to load, so freezes everyone in place, but doesn't bother freezing little things like hair physics so it looks like everyone decided to play freeze tag or something.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Biplane posted:

hockey games were some of best sources of lols all the way back to OG nintendo ice hockey. Something about sliding physics and hitting makes for screaming laughter with friends. Also mutant league hockey was constantly hilarious.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Aidan_702 posted:

Officially not a glitch but Ha. The tweet above showing the unlocked camera during cutscenes is pretty good too.

Haha awesome, I just played through that having a lot of fun with the camera mode, glad to see there's something going on when it's locked.

ToxicFrog posted:

I think I may be avoiding the Chameleon spell from now on.

:confused:

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

hockey games were some of best sources of lols all the way back to OG nintendo ice hockey. Something about sliding physics and hitting makes for screaming laughter with friends. Also mutant league hockey was constantly hilarious.

The best hockey game of all time was NHL Hitz 2002. Playing with a buddy was always a blast - one guy for actually puck handling and scoring, one guy to just play Tie Domi and do their level best to injure the entire opposing team.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Biplane posted:

NHL07’s goalies couldn’t deal with shots to the upper left as you crossed the blue line. You could take a team with a good shooter and absolutely ruin a goalie’s GAA and then get them for dirt cheap. It was hilarious.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Antioch posted:

The best hockey game of all time was NHL Hitz 2002. Playing with a buddy was always a blast - one guy for actually puck handling and scoring, one guy to just play Tie Domi and do their level best to injure the entire opposing team.

This reminds me of my strategy for most racing games which is: full speed into turns, slam into the AI cars trying to actually corner, bounce off them and end up ahead. I tried this strategy while driving very fast go-carts and it did not work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone have the clip of the guy bring checked completely over the glass?