Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Draynar posted:

Warmother control is fun deck.

What are peoples thoughts on limiting buying cards per week? I kinda dislike it since I like to have a ton of decks but my wallet appreciates the artificial cap on spending.

Warmother Control is a fun deck. I'm bad at it, but I like it.

My understanding was that, originally, you couldn't spend money at all, and they only added that feature due to pressure from the community. A game hasn't come out yet that's entirely supported by cosmetics, but I think Riot may be going for it. We'll see how it plays out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Welp, went 0 wins with a solid looking hecarim/zed draft with solid removal and plenty of synergy, then went 7 wins right after with uhh, Lucian/Darius/garen? that had plenty of suspect cards but I managed to keep eking out wins one after another. Rally actually won me a few games that I would’ve 100% lost without back to back swings. No real allstars or much interaction, just slapping dudes down & pushing face.

This was all done at like 1am trying to hit 10 for the free token, so of course half my opponents ran the clock on every single goddamn phase of the game.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I get a lot of enjoyment out of building decks and tinkering so I don't like to be limited by the card sales, especially when some archetypes require very specific champs.
On the side of slowing down the meta I think it is a double edged sword because on one side it does slow down the meta but it also slows down the counter-deck development.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Well I finally won my first 7th game, after going 0 in my first draft. Basically Tryndamere is a really good finisher. Last fight was pretty intense, opponent detained both my deck-buffed Thresh AND my Tryndamere onto the same drat spider and was about to ruin me with a full horizontal board when I plopped a 9/9 They Who Endure and slapped a Battle Fury on it. Overwhelm! :black101:

Game offered me to trade out that single They Who Endure like five times and I always held onto it just in case. I actually refused all 5 final trades because everything I had just worked for once. (Basically a bunch of fearsome spiders and SI spells plus Thresh/Tryndamere.) Lanterning in double Tryndameres is really gross.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I have delegated Fiora in expeditions to red herring duty, and she is doing a fine job at it

Hauki
May 11, 2010

decided to gently caress around in expedition after my 7-0 earlier and just got a dude to 288 mushrooms before he blew up

:sweep:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

in other news I have exactly 29999 dust & about 30 ea. C/U wildcards saved up after this last expedition but I haven’t really played much constructed in weeks - what’s fun & competitive that’s not just mistwraiths 2.0?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Hauki posted:

in other news I have exactly 29999 dust & about 30 ea. C/U wildcards saved up after this last expedition but I haven’t really played much constructed in weeks - what’s fun & competitive that’s not just mistwraiths 2.0?

ezreal control with elnuks

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I played a great game where someone twice did the Braum emote before playing troop of elnuks and both times it summoned nothing :v:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Hauki posted:

in other news I have exactly 29999 dust...

I realize this isn't the point of your post, but this is a part of the economy that cropped up when League switched to its current economy that they eventually fixed, and it should be fixed here. If I'm just short of another card, it might be a long grind to the next place where I can get one (which, outside of the vault, is waiting for the region level up and hoping it has shards in it, right?) In League, they changed the daily win from exp to exp + a small amount of free currency. I'm a little surprised Runeterra doesn't mirror that from the start.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps

d0grent posted:

ezreal control with elnuks

I still haven’t crafted a single deck yet because I was waiting for vault rewards, and I was trying to decide between this and I/F Elusives. I realized today that I am actually only 1k shards short of crafting both of them, so that’s easy :)

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

elnuks are pretty weird for a game with as little RNG as this one. you can either fill you board uncounterably on turn 5 and effortlessly win or spend 5 mana to summon like two 3/3's and probably lose i guess

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I still haven't used shards for anything but expedition entry, sitting on a big pile of them and plenty of wildcards for most things, feel like it's better to sit on crafting while your still collecting lots of region track rewards and avoid getting +15 shards or +60 shards for a common or uncommon duplicate.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I feel that now things have settled this is a pretty solid meta. Few cards could use love taps but nothing is outright dominating and no region feels useless right now. Elusives still work just fine without being incredibly broken, SI is mostly reigned in at this point. I did a hard push to plat last night and saw huge variety in my opponent's decks. Feels good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
SI Hecarim is still far and away the best deck, as far as I can tell they are unfavored vs elusives and nothing else... like despite making up 40% of the meta I think they're still underplayed compared to their power level.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 26, 2020

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Every time I play rekindler to revive Hec and swing for 15 spread across 4 bodies I feel like I’m cheating.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Expedition mode is just awful at the moment, dying to mushrooms forever while never being offered them myself :v:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Boxman posted:

Every time I play rekindler to revive Hec and swing for 15 spread across 4 bodies I feel like I’m cheating.

Rekindler really is absurd value and I imagine it will get a nerf by having it's effect changed from "when summoned" to "when played"

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Hecarim needs a solid nerf, there's really no excusing that card right now. I think he's the only champion in the game who is played with 0 intention of getting his flip condition because he doesn't need it to win games for you. Fixing Hecarim could leave room to make Kalista an actual card again instead of a bad joke too. (I'm bitter, the game gave me three of her.)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Rekindler really is absurd value and I imagine it will get a nerf by having it's effect changed from "when summoned" to "when played"
That really only nerfs it in expedition (which is... not actually a terrible idea) and off-meta applications of it.

The truth is playing hecarim twice is just overpowered, not much you can do to rekindler about that, because hecarim is very op and is in a faction that also has the best non-champion cards. But rekindler certainly seems like an 8 mana card or one that should only work with cheaper champs.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 26, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

No Wave posted:

That really only nerfs it in expedition (which is... not actually a terrible idea) and off-meta applications of it.

The truth is playing hecarim twice is just overpowered, not much you can do to rekindler about that, because hecarim is very op and is in a faction that also has the best non-champion cards. But rekindler certainly seems like an 8 mana card or one that should only work with cheaper champs.

One interaction I find a little dumb with Rekindler is if he gets summoned during The Harrowing he poops out a champion without ephemeral.

Turning him into a "on play" effect would get rid of a lot of his extra summons from other revival effects, it's enough power that it probably doesn't need the other multitude of cards that can trigger it's effect again without recalling him to hand.
An example being Dawn and Dusk on a Rekindler is three Hecarim's and three 4/4's for 6 mana.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 26, 2020

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Wave posted:

The first week I bought 3 champs and it was a little painful. The second week I bought 3 more and it felt better.

Then I never bought anymore because I did the math and vault + rewards would get me every other card within three months.

I cant imagine game will stay this generous tbh, its pretty nuts right mow.

I've missed some daily quests and bombed my share of expeditions, and I'm still on track to have max copies of every single champion real soon. I spent like $20 to get some decks rolling when I started and nothing since, it's wild.

It would be great if it stayed like this and they just managed to make the money they want off cosmetic stuff. I don't think pets and new boards do it, though; you can only have one pet and one board in use at one time so even if people are compelled to buy them they'll probably just pick one favorite and then mayyyybe buy a new one that comes out in the future if they really like it.

Maybe really good foil cards like Gwen are the ticket? I know those were really expensive to make but Riot has the money and if they get the playerbase high enough it could be a comfortable return on investment. Do we have any numbers for that, btw? I can only imagine the game is taking off pretty well based on the number of people invested in League but I don't think i've ever actually heard anything

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

if you give lifesteal to a leveled up ezreal, you can heal off his passive nexus strikes. With karma in the mix you can go from 4 to 20 pretty easily this way...

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I've only been doing expeditions since this game came out. Even after your first 3, the exp reward is pretty great if you can get 5+ wins. Is there any sort of reward system for ranked play?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Not yet, but I would bet actual money that the open beta will be a season, and there will be ranked rewards. It’s the same playbook they ran for TFT - have ranked, sort rewards later (and technically, even League’s ranked rewards aren’t formally announced until near the end of the season. It’s just that they’ve been pretty steady so it’s easy to predict what you’ll get.)

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I was trying to figure out what the difference between these was and then some dude rekindlered his levelled up Tryndamere, cast Splinter Soul on the same rekindler bringing back another Tryndamere and then my surrender button went off

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Those of us former/current Hearthstone players appreciate the lift job.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I assume they'll add card backs as another cosmetic eventually.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

They could release pve modes for $$, they were super fun in HS

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Expedition mode is killing me this week. If I try to build a deck around some kind of combo or strategy it never comes off and if I just try grabbing a bunch of units for aggro, I get absolutely annihilated as my opponent's deck just combos together perfectly :v:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I genuinely hate draft modes in ccgs and I really hate that playing three expeditions a week is mandatory for progression.

It sucks rear end

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

it's not mandatory dude chill out

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I just use my token and instantly resign for the champion card, and then go back to normal/ranked. Progression speed is completely fine.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
My first trial this week had some outrageously powerful cards like Hecarim, double rekindler, Rhasa etc and I only got two wins. The second trial I drafted a super lovely deck that's still going strong at four wins. RNG I guess.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Expedition is fine

Only registered members can see post attachments!

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Firebert posted:

I genuinely hate draft modes in ccgs and I really hate that playing three expeditions a week is mandatory for progression.

It sucks rear end

Why are you playing 3 expeditions a week dude. Just loving play one with the free token

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
I only managed 3 wins with my token this week, but on the plus side, I pulled an Ezreal.

How is this Fiora Shen Barrier deck? Fiora seems fun.

https://lor.mobalytics.gg/meta-tier-list

Edit: Progression seems pretty easy in this game to me. I’ve been playing about two weeks and have a top meta deck, enough resources to craft a second, and have gotten 6 champions from rewards, all completely f2p just by getting a couple wins a day

DrOgreface fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 29, 2020

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Firebert posted:

mandatory for progression

Read a book. Make something. Turn the Skinner Box off for a minute.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You know what card they should probably look into changing next?

It's a bit too hearthstoney, oh I rnged into a full board on turn 5 of 3/3's and 4/5's, guess I won the coinflip, better luck next time.

It got goddamn disgusting by the end of the run, but only one thing beats elnuk RNG.

Better elnuk RNG.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Did they make all quests give 1k xp now or something? Don't think I've seen a 1500xp one since the patch, even rerolling every day :v: