Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

Then again, if the tech was real and working in any capacity, showing that tech would bring in shitloads of more cash. Why on earth would CIG ever forfeit even more money, while simultaneously showing that they're not a scam after all?

:iiam:

The tech is working, and perfectly, but it needs extra tech to be online in order for it to be clearly seen. DUH!

e: Somebody post a cat. Jesus! Am I surrounded by incompetents? Make that loving pixel *blue* you rear end in a top hat, imbeciles! all of you! I swear to god

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Scruffpuff posted:

Like any geek worth his salt, I too have wondered where I land on the alignment chart. I still have no idea. I'd say I'm Neutral-Chaotic Good-Neutral. What alignment are Chris Roberts's no-joke sandworms? Chris is Chaotic Stupid, Sandi is Neutral Evil, Ben is Chaotic Diet, Ortwin is Lawful Evil, and MoMA was Completely Wrong.

I'm Lawful Masses (also Citizens pay my Patreon for Space Court youtubes)

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Bumble He posted:

Everspace was good fun. the controls can be customized however you want (dual stick, keyboard, mouse etc.)
it deffo has those 6dof, twinstick mechanics. but its played best with keyboard (i use a keypad in fact) with a gaming mouse with lotsa customizable buttons.

also “overload“ (inoffical descent remake) and i think there were some other decent descent (pun intended) remakes.

give everspace a try!

edit: or if you are a retrogame masochist like myself boot up “g-police“ on playstation 1! (i used to love this and i am waiting for some surprise remake for modern platforms)

Thanks, those sounds great. I'll definitely check them out.

Sedisp posted:

Are you specifically looking for that kind of experience in a pvp scenario or just agile soace shooter in general?

I prefer PVP, but I'm happy to try any kind of game that lets me use my dual joystick setup

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

sunaurus posted:

Thanks, those sounds great. I'll definitely check them out.

I prefer PVP, but I'm happy to try any kind of game that lets me use my dual joystick setup

It sounds like it's not your bag, but in case you give CQC another go, there are some ways to get a sense of speed out of it (apologies if I'm advising egg sucking here):

* Fly close to structures when trying to lose someone. Is the best bit.
* Keep pips in engines for that constant boost thing when possible. (You unlock better power distributors as you go)
* You've got to give in to the 'pitch is king' flight model. Then get more turn speed by: dropping speed to 'blue zone' for the turn, toggling flight assist off for faster turn rates, boosting through it.
* If you get alright with the FA off mode you can carry that boost speed into mad yaw turns or whatever, and carry your speed through turns more generally.
* Go through the green power up, and enjoy enhanced movements in any direction...
* Buy very expensive VR kit...

It'll still be the old 'space spitfire with strafe' model, but it can get good with all those things in the mix.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

They are getting paid for a burger.

I admire its purity

Star Citizen: The Literal Impossible Burger.

also mods, new thread title in a week

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elderbean posted:

People grow, forums grow, we're mostly in our 30s and not teenagers anymore. There are plenty of things you can call citizens that dont involve disparaging other people.

Hey all, i'm back!

And i was itching to respond to this one for the last day after i got a second ban for being "mad".

I've only been on these forums for a couple of years, so i was never a teenager here. I'm close to 50. That means i'm physically mature, although how emotionally mature i am could be open to debate. :P

However, if the desire of the site and lowtax is to promote mature discussions, hten i feel that the site needs to reflect that. Take a look at the messages you get when banned, when posting, the rules, etc. They are all like they were written by a teenager trying to be hip and cool.

As for disparaging other people and not saying things like the "R" word, yeah, well, when you cop a ban you get a lovely message about the "Lepers colony", which is not only disparaging to lepers, it makes the person getting the ban perhaps feel like a leper.

So, i'd like to call double standards here.

Regarding all this and more, i wrote an email to the mod who gave me my second ban. Whether he reads it (let alone reply) and considers these things, perhaps to discuss withe other mods and admins is up to him. But if the SA forums wants to prompote mature and polite discussions, then it needs to be led from lowtax and down to the moderators.

Just wading in and banning people without guidance or warning i feel is a terrible approach to moderation. I've had better treatment on the SC sub, where i didn't get banned once, despite many vigorous debates with backers. My only bans were self-requested and i am now permabanned on my own request.

You, and others, make a good point about disparaging others, and as the old saying goes, "if you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all".

However, we had years of a certain type of moderation back in the old scam forum, where we learned the rules and limits of what could and couldn't be said there.

Now we are in a new fiefdom (i use this word, because it appears to me that each subforum operates under different standards and rules) and we need to learn the local rules and expecations of the moderators. I just wish the mods would start from the point of view of guiding and warning, before reaching for the banhammer.

Now, if this post gets me another ban for being "mad" again, so be it.

I now return you to your regular program, and urge you to not reply to this post. I've had my say, and let it be. Its up to the mods how they consider these words, if at all.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pixelate posted:

It sounds like it's not your bag, but in case you give CQC another go, there are some ways to get a sense of speed out of it (apologies if I'm advising egg sucking here):

* Fly close to structures when trying to lose someone. Is the best bit.
* Keep pips in engines for that constant boost thing when possible. (You unlock better power distributors as you go)
* You've got to give in to the 'pitch is king' flight model. Then get more turn speed by: dropping speed to 'blue zone' for the turn, toggling flight assist off for faster turn rates, boosting through it.
* If you get alright with the FA off mode you can carry that boost speed into mad yaw turns or whatever, and carry your speed through turns more generally.
* Go through the green power up, and enjoy enhanced movements in any direction...
* Buy very expensive VR kit...

It'll still be the old 'space spitfire with strafe' model, but it can get good with all those things in the mix.

I do enjoy CQC a lot, even though i get my butt kicked badly most of the time. However, i do like the pace (and speed) of it, which makes a nice change from the slower paced main game. However, i just can't motivate myself to play it, since there are no real rewards to be gained, apart from the sidegrades/upgrades you can unlock.

If only we could unlock those upgrades for our SLFs in the main game, so we can customize them, then i think it would be a hell of a lot more popular.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Nemo2342 posted:

If I squint real hard, I can maybe think he did it so that one day he and his kid can play at the same time. Though much like everything else with Star Citizen, that's a purchase he should have waited a few years to make.

I tried to get him to buy Elite Dangerous instead, since the main thing he claims he wants to do is just fly around space doing deliveries. He just brushed off the suggestion by saying ED looked "too complicated".

Reel Galaxy Outlaw is just for him then.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I would like to say that you were not banned, you were probated. And the first time for six hours which is the smallest, absolute smallest slap that we hand out here.

There is a rules thread in Games that has been stickied for quite a while and the rules of each sub forum are determined by the mods appointed to that forum. In this case, Games is overlooked by myself and Reene (though Reene is an admin of the whole site, not just Games and things fall more to me because of it). If you are concerned about a Fiefdom then the rules thread has always been there. I made it back when I was granted modship 4 years ago.

Lowtax himself owns the forums but has said many, many times that he lets the mods of each sub oversee the rules of the place they look after. I am allowed (and expected) to help this forum be the best. I do not have control of things on the overall site. Banning slurs (which in the post you originally got six hours for was worded in such a fashion that you knew you should not say it) is something I can help to happen. Renaming the leper's colony is not.

In fact, this goes back to context again. Leprosy is effectively eradicated and as such the audience who this might be directed against is less than 10,000 in the world (according to WHO). Yes it is something we may examine in the future (like how we changed the name of the gas chamber recently) but to class it on the same level as using the R word for people who chose to buy into a bad game is not the same.

In terms of warning, I felt the six hours was enough for both yourself and anyone else seeing that yes, we do probate for that so please do not say this. The forum is changing slowly and has undergone a lot of reworking these last few months which some subforums going, some names being changed around the place and other such things.

Banning the use of slurs should not get push back from posters. They are slurs. We can be funny, insightful, informative and most importantly funny without using them.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

MedicineHut posted:

Reel Galaxy Outlaw is just for him then.

Hey goons who played Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, I tried it, but after few hours I got stuck on missions where you warp-in and instantly get attacked by 6 fighters and get totally owned because even with biggest meanest guns I cannot shoot them down before I'm dead. I tried calling that space redneck "friend" to help but that also takes too long. This was against some small fast ships so I cannot even outrun them. Like is there some trick to this that I missed? (I played this with mouse on autopilot+autoaim difficulty too :( )

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dementropy posted:

:reddit: :
Well to be fair we did get some medical and mining additions. Harvestable entities was added.

We need more but there is a slow trickle.

I would love to see more. We need player bounties, more medical, more scanning, item manufacturing and repair, salvage, just generally a little more everything.

Hopefully with pyro we can at least get barebones wormhole navigation fleshed out for professions.

Star Citizen: We need just generally a little more everything

Sanya Juutilainen fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 26, 2020

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

VideoGames posted:

Yes it is something we may examine in the future (like how we changed the name of the gas chamber recently) but to class it on the same level as using the R word for people who chose to buy into a bad game is not the same.

fuckin rofl this forum

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VideoGames posted:

I would like to say that you were not banned, you were probated. And the first time for six hours which is the smallest, absolute smallest slap that we hand out here.

There is a rules thread in Games that has been stickied for quite a while and the rules of each sub forum are determined by the mods appointed to that forum. In this case, Games is overlooked by myself and Reene (though Reene is an admin of the whole site, not just Games and things fall more to me because of it). If you are concerned about a Fiefdom then the rules thread has always been there. I made it back when I was granted modship 4 years ago.

Lowtax himself owns the forums but has said many, many times that he lets the mods of each sub oversee the rules of the place they look after. I am allowed (and expected) to help this forum be the best. I do not have control of things on the overall site. Banning slurs (which in the post you originally got six hours for was worded in such a fashion that you knew you should not say it) is something I can help to happen. Renaming the leper's colony is not.

In fact, this goes back to context again. Leprosy is effectively eradicated and as such the audience who this might be directed against is less than 10,000 in the world (according to WHO). Yes it is something we may examine in the future (like how we changed the name of the gas chamber recently) but to class it on the same level as using the R word for people who chose to buy into a bad game is not the same.

In terms of warning, I felt the six hours was enough for both yourself and anyone else seeing that yes, we do probate for that so please do not say this. The forum is changing slowly and has undergone a lot of reworking these last few months which some subforums going, some names being changed around the place and other such things.

Banning the use of slurs should not get push back from posters. They are slurs. We can be funny, insightful, informative and most importantly funny without using them.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Apologies for the mix up over terminology. I perhaps should have said temp ban rather than ban (or as you say, probated). I presume people understood.

Personally i was not aware that each sub-forum does operate on different rules and this was sanctioned by lowtax. This obviously makes it tricky for people to know where the lines lie in each sub-forum. Fortunately i only bother with this particular thread.

I'm fine with mods taking action over people using slurs. However, as i said, i didn't appreciate the bull in a china shop approach, when a warning could have sufficed in the first instance, explaining a line was crossed.

I'm still not sure though, and perhaps run the risk of further mod action, about where these lines are.

I mean, can i say what i think about Chris Roberts? Can i call him a liar? A fraud? A conman? Not that i usually do so, but i've seen others say things like that. Can i call him a moron? An idiot? Or worse? Same with backers? Are they deluded? Can we use the term cultist?

I could really do with some guidance here to avoid further probations or even an outright ban.

I've just checked the Games rules thread and see nothing that provides any guideance at all in this regard.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Don’t use slurs

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Agony Aunt posted:

I mean, can i say what i think about Chris Roberts? Can i call him a liar? A fraud? A conman? Not that i usually do so, but i've seen others say things like that. Can i call him a moron? An idiot? Or worse? Same with backers? Are they deluded? Can we use the term cultist?

None of those descriptors are using on a group of people often used as punching bags for comedic purposes so yes, none of those would be an issue.

The post by Reene after my 7 loose rules basically says do not be transphobic, homophobic, racist, or bigoted and as the r word is used a lot by the alt-right and their ilk it falls under the bigoted part. I do not think a six hour probation is bull in a china shop (that would be a full ban or something where you would have to buy your account back). You do have a six hour silly probe for the closure of scam so I would treat the six hours as something similar.

And while this might not seem fair, not every probe is just for the person receiving it. Often it is used as a bit of a signpost in so much as to say "hey please do not do this". I know this is not always ideal and I am sorry for that.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'll just take a moment to highlight some replies i've had from a rather vigorous discussion i've been having with a couple of those most excellent backer folks, who truly deserve everything they will get.

quote:

Agony Aunt you are not challenging you track every SC post and troll, very different

Apparently i have super powers, with the ability to track every SC post and troll!

quote:

Agony Aunt it is the truth, accept it.

Accept the truth of Roberts! No other truth shall prevail!

quote:

@Agony Aunt The discussion is over, because we are all tired of saying the same arguments over and over. Its an alpha, not a finished product, why would they even try to polish it, if it would be redone again? The time to complain would be exactly after the release. Nobody has crossed a finish line, its just the middle of the race.

To your question: I would say, when the game world is ready, so its not a question of a timetable, but more of a development progression status. Why would we need to get a thousand players into the same area, if there is nothing to do? First you need a world, then you need to have something to do in it, then you can let players play. Right in this order.

There is nothing to do, straight from the horse's mouth! Also apparently he decides when the discussion is over, but keeps responding.

quote:

Agony Aunt no, dude, not whatever, stop your worthless crusade hampering any positive post on this game. We the backers and CIG will make it happen. It is out of your hater hands

He played the hater card, several times, along with other name calling. But my favourite part here is how the backers will help make SC happen. My response was to point out there is only one person who can make or break SC, that is CR himself.

quote:

TL;DR ;)

When he simply can't even muster up the energy to insult me further.

quote:

Agony Aunt there is no debate. You constantly lie and for some reason you feel the need to come to a technical post done by a youtuber and plastered your "false" opinion all over. And you do this consistently. You claim not to "hate" a video game, but here you are, like you go to 10s of other posts, spreading your little lies: no release in sight, CIG lies. No wonder your name is Agony :)

There is no debate! Whatever he says is the truth, any criticism is lies. He also gets in a few personal jabs as well.

What a fine couple of upstanding people there, so nice of them to provide me with such a rigorous and challenging debate. Sirs! I salute you!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VideoGames posted:

None of those descriptors are using on a group of people often used as punching bags for comedic purposes so yes, none of those would be an issue.

The post by Reene after my 7 loose rules basically says do not be transphobic, homophobic, racist, or bigoted and as the r word is used a lot by the alt-right and their ilk it falls under the bigoted part. I do not think a six hour probation is bull in a china shop (that would be a full ban or something where you would have to buy your account back). You do have a six hour silly probe for the closure of scam so I would treat the six hours as something similar.

And while this might not seem fair, not every probe is just for the person receiving it. Often it is used as a bit of a signpost in so much as to say "hey please do not do this". I know this is not always ideal and I am sorry for that.

Ok, thanks. I appreciate your response and understand you don't want to spend any more time on this topic than necessary.

I'll try and keep what you have said in mind.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Seriously worried about you, AA.

Go outside

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Agony Aunt posted:

Ok, thanks. I appreciate your response and understand you don't want to spend any more time on this topic than necessary.

I'll try and keep what you have said in mind.

No problem. It is much appreciated.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ash Crimson posted:

Seriously worried about you, AA.

Go outside

Umm.. thanks for your concern, but i'm fine.

Also heading outsinde in about 15 minutes to collect the kids from school. I'll be sure to take a deep breath of fresh air though out of respect of your concern ;)

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
So I was chatting with a SC streamer and his viewers and woops, you find voices of reason outside of the sc cult reddit:

- Some of them play SC PTU and Arena Commander (lol) all the time. So us claiming it seems the SC community plays rarely any other games and lives in their own filter bubble is correct...
- They actually know the project will take more years
- they have mixed feelings about Chris' less visibilty and meet it with sarcasm
"Word is Chris ran into contractor issues with SpaceX building his real life 890J to fly away with all the backer money"

- they know that there is not much to do but fly around so they don't pretend that there is more than the shell of the PTU
"we're still missing to name a few, persistent hangars and all other things persistent, money transfers, ship selling, aliens, explorables, thousands of players per area, most professions, I could go on"
"star citizen hasn't even taken its first form yet. we're missing the MM in mmo"

- they indeed don't take the roadmap for serious
"the roadmap is and always has been overly optimistic"

- They believe (or hope) all ressourced go into SQ42
- "SQ42? hopefully a Citizencon 2020 SQ42 special event, but more likely 2021""

So yeah, they are torn between the dream&hope and reality. And outside of the hostile sc reddit you can literally feel the mixture of hope and doubt and talk with them in a serious manner.

So the "normal" SC players and fans are the typical Wing Commander oldscool nerds and a different and more self-reflective community than the active sc reddit idiots, no surprise.

Edit: Oh, and what i found interesting: They KNOW that CIG still needs more money to survive. That may explain why they still buy jpegs, sunk cost fallacy and the fear/angst of failure and trying to deny CIG to stop everything because money was the issue.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 26, 2020

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

colonelwest posted:

The basic premise of Star Citizen is a lie

That was a nice read and good post, hit the nail.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

VideoGames posted:

Nice and clean and shiny and smooth.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Pixelate posted:

File under jank...

Coronavirus is IN guys.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Mr.PayDay posted:

Edit: Oh, and what i found interesting: They KNOW that CIG still needs more money to survive. That may explain why they still buy jpegs, sunk cost fallacy and the fear/angst of failure and trying to deny CIG to stop everything because money was the issue.
For sure. What CIG has done to these people is a crime. But, you know, they SHOULD know better. If not at the beginning or after the TOS change, then certainly by now.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr.PayDay posted:

So I was chatting with a SC streamer and his viewers and woops, you find voices of reason outside of the sc cult reddit:

- Some of them play SC PTU and Arena Commander (lol) all the time. So us claiming it seems the SC community plays rarely any other games and lives in their own filter bubble is correct...
- They actually know the project will take more years
- they have mixed feelings about Chris' less visibilty and meet it with sarcasm
"Word is Chris ran into contractor issues with SpaceX building his real life 890J to fly away with all the backer money"

- they know that there is not much to do but fly around so they don't pretend that there is more than the shell of the PTU
"we're still missing to name a few, persistent hangars and all other things persistent, money transfers, ship selling, aliens, explorables, thousands of players per area, most professions, I could go on"
"star citizen hasn't even taken its first form yet. we're missing the MM in mmo"

- they indeed don't take the roadmap for serious
"the roadmap is and always has been overly optimistic"

- They believe (or hope) all ressourced go into SQ42
- "SQ42? hopefully a Citizencon 2020 SQ42 special event, but more likely 2021""

So yeah, they are torn between the dream&hope and reality. And outside of the hostile sc reddit you can literally feel the mixture of hope and doubt and talk with them in a serious manner.

So the "normal" SC players and fans are the typical Wing Commander oldscool nerds and a different and more self-reflective community than the active sc reddit idiots, no surprise.

Yup, there are some backers out there who enjoy (or try to enjoy) the game as it is, but are fully aware of the issues with the game and that there is a risk it might end up being a giant nothingburger.

If you are so inclined, take a look at the posts from MoleHD in the SC thread on the FD forums, who is coincierge, so sunk quite a bit of money in the game, but openly realisitc about the state of the game but just logs in when the game is stable enough and enjoys what is there as best he can. Just pay no attention to the demonic cow pics he posts.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ir's me, I'm the master chef making burgers all day for a living

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
I feel corn crobbled today

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Scruffpuff posted:

This tale illustrates that Chris Roberts is tapping into a defect that's already there. This guy theoretically should have been able to make the logical choice, having not bought in but having the evidence he needed. But the defect was exploited to maximum effect, logic failed, and nowhere is the cult-like behavior more clearly visible in that he also got a second account for a 4 year old kid.

I don't know what defect is being exploited by bad space games failing to be made by a career fraud, but there are apparently a shitload of people who have it. Perhaps getting conned by a drooling troglodyte was a survival advantage somewhere in our ancestral history.

My take on this whole debacle is that Crobberts unwittingly stumbled upon the perfect demographic for this particular type of game; Nerdy men aged 35-55 suffering a midlife crisis.

Its basically a bunch of stubborn manchildren nerds in a midlife crisis with a huge disposable income, a superiority complex and inability to admit that they are wrong and that they got loving duped. Add a desperate desire to relive the halcyon days of youth into the mix, and you got a loyal customer base on the verge of fanaticism who will throw money at you until they go broke, no matter what.

The zeal these commandoes have for the SC project reminds of a friend of my father who divorced his wife of 20 years and then got sucked into a ukranian mail order bride scam. It was really depressing to watch how he ignored all the obvious red flags, and got so obsessed with this "bride" of his that he alienated his friends and family. He spent an alarming amount of money of this scam as well. I think he started dipping into his pension savings too. He became aggressive whenever friends tried to warn him that this is fake and that this "bride" is just dudes milking him for money.
Last time i heard about him, it was the sixth time he had shown up at the airport expecting "Roxana" to appear, and the sixth time he went home alone to a message in his email inbox saying "I'm veri sorry please send me money my mother fell down the stairs again"

Basically what im saying is that buying JPGS of spaceships is the new buying JPGS of ukranian supermodels

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 26, 2020

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GyverMac posted:

a superiority complex and inability to admit that they are wrong and that they got loving duped

This right here is the sole reason this 'game' is still around, Chris accidentally tapped into the Sheldon from Big Bang Theory market where turbonerds are never and can never be wrong - So they twist and turn and poo poo themselves all day every day so they can be right.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

peter gabriel posted:

This right here is the sole reason this 'game' is still around, Chris accidentally tapped into the Sheldon from Big Bang Theory market where turbonerds are never and can never be wrong - So they twist and turn and poo poo themselves all day every day so they can be right.

And it's even more ironic when you watch Bootcha's vids and realize that it wasn't even Chris who tapped that potential, but Ben Lesnick. Because who else can understand such manchildren other than the most prominent of them.

It's also why there's a downspiral effect lately with the ships. Chris and the team don't know what these people want anymore, they just try to throw crap at them and see what sticks and how far they can go, delving deeper and deeper into relying on FOMO, SCF and general whaling.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pharohman777 posted:

Lol, the last reply implies the master chef making one burger until the end of time is making something totally unique and impossible for anyone else to copy.

Or that the ingredients actually matter. But well done on choosing one of the most basic foods in the entire world of comestibles.

Agony Aunt posted:

Hey all, i'm back!

I know where you’re coming from, but it’s always been a fiefdom mediated by whatever sensibilities are to the fore, and there’s a vast overreaction because they dropped the ball on making sure that this space is ‘safe’. The FYAD shenanigans have them over-compensating like a bad comb-over, and while I completely enjoy the more collaborative forum...The PS4 thread is a joy to behold these days...it’s not like any of us have changed, it’s that a couple of the forums got outed as places for intolerance and particularly lovely behavior.

And this is after that whole Kiwi Farms things. The rules have barely changed, but now we’re being watched closely unless we repeat that behavior that we never really engaged in. You’ll note how _now_ the imp zone and FYAD invasions of threads are a big deal. Before, you were just a moaner. Now it’s all lack of context and using bad words.

Like you, I’m close to fifty. I started on Compuserve and usenet back in the 1990s; built a community around EDM and moderated a bunch of forums, including being a wizop for Future Publishing. We had ethical guidelines that included recusal and investigation because, surprisingly, we used to get lawsuit threats daily from mentalists.

Now, apparently the high water marks is ‘ableist slurs’, which appear to be the weakest of slurs available. I have no problem switching up the words I use, despite reductio ad absurdum, because it matters more to people for who it effects. Not ‘retard’, that’s the preserve of the kind of people that like to push the envelope and don’t understand that it drifted out of clinical use in the 1980s and has literally one meaning behind a ‘stupid person’.

On the other hand, rules are rules, and the people with the batons and cool uniforms get to set them. This is the sacred covenant of tenbux; their ability to take away your ability to post for a variable amount of time.

It’s being a very big fish in a tiny pond, so pick your battles, mon frere.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jesus Christ, sixers really do make people melt down

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

GyverMac posted:

My take on this whole debacle is that Crobberts unwittingly stumbled upon the perfect demographic for this particular type of game; Nerdy men aged 35-55 suffering a midlife crisis.

Its basically a bunch of stubborn manchildren nerds in a midlife crisis with a huge disposable income, a superiority complex and inability to admit that they are wrong and that they got loving duped. Add a desperate desire to relive the halcyon days of youth into the mix, and you got a loyal customer base on the verge of fanaticism who will throw money at you until they go broke, no matter what.

The zeal these commandoes have for the SC project reminds of a friend of my father who divorced his wife of 20 years and then got sucked into a ukranian mail order bride scam. It was really depressing to watch how he ignored all the obvious red flags, and got so obsessed with this "bride" of his that he alienated his friends and family. He spent an alarming amount of money of this scam as well. I think he started dipping into his pension savings too. He became aggressive whenever friends tried to warn him that this is fake and that this "bride" is just dudes milking him for money.
Last time i heard about him, it was the sixth time he had shown up at the airport expecting "Roxana" to appear, and the sixth time he went home alone to a message in his email inbox saying "I'm veri sorry please send me money my mother fell down the stairs again"

Basically what im saying is that buying JPGS of spaceships is the new buying JPGS of ukranian supermodels

Christ this is a horrible story and I believe every word of it. It seems to be the exact same thing really.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

VideoGames posted:

Sure, but do you have a reference list? I mean, it’s definitely not just up to the individual to know the contents of your mind, and there’s a really strange sensibility going around in America that is culturally unique.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hav posted:

Sure, but do you have a reference list? I mean, it’s definitely not just up to the individual to know the contents of your mind, and there’s a really strange sensibility going around in America that is culturally unique.

No, you can't call people cunts. Unless you're an Aussie.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Hav posted:

A) I am not American.
B) Do not use slurs. I am genuinely not sure how you need a list of appropriate words. It is quite apparent nowadays that 'retard' is a slur based on the use of the word that is all I have had to say. I am sure you can all think of plenty of other slurs that I have not needed to say "do not use". Why must you need to use this one? If you do not need to, then why is it still an issue? That is all I have asked. Do not use slurs.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Hav posted:

I've got a guy at my job that's 20 years younger than me, and he's the one I get with to keep up with this kind of poo poo. Otherwise I'd really have no idea. It's easy for younger people to tell older ones "just keep up, it's not that hard, everyone should know better etc." but they have no idea (yet) how powerful generational striation can be. A 25 year old has no loving clue how boring a 45 year old finds them - anything they talk about is poo poo the older person has thought of already, for longer, and with more nuance - so they get tuned out. That pattern repeats between the 45 and 65 year old, 65/85, etc. Without that guy I would never, ever know what is currently considered a "slur" because 99% of my interactions are with my own age group, and they give even less of a poo poo than I do.

Should older people engage with younger ones more deeply? Yes, and the opposite is also true, and we've been preaching that for thousands of years, and we've gotten nowhere.

Everyone should make friends with someone 10-20 years younger and both should really listen to each other. It would go a long way I think.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I only interact with young people to spread the good word of crobber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

GyverMac posted:

Simp Citizen