Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Leal posted:

I wish to append my earlier post that I haven't played Control and was talking about general SCP articles which a █████ who is just trying to come up with a [DATA REDACTED] story to try and get people to get scared by not bothering to [DATA EXPUNGED]

I retract my smilie disagreement in that case, SCP is much more like that which is why Control stands out so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
part of the problem with having a website open to submissions for anyone is that anyone can submit, which is why the majority of the SCP site isn't outstanding but there are definitely some genuinely good pieces of shortform writing on there and I wanted to at least be a voice for not dismissing the site entirely

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
SCP is really great, there's a thread here in pyf where people link good ones all the time.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

do they still have the cool one where they have no choice but to diddle a kid on the reg

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
what the gently caress

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

do they still have the cool one where they have no choice but to diddle a kid on the reg

Yeah that one's still up but there are constant arguments about deleting it and people in the thread here talk about how much they think it sucks rear end. There was a mass exodus of some of the site's writers a while back because they melted down about the SCP logo having rainbow colors for pride month and many of the super old-school problematic articles went with them.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Leal posted:

what the gently caress

Uh it's some sort of apocalyptic thing that you have to feed rape into or something, I remember hearing about it in the SCP thread.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Yeah, a lot of the edgy SCPs are just like ‘wooooo this door opens to people that’ll totally rape you and we send in class D people for fuuuun’

But to be on topic I was playing Battlefront 2 (the most recent one) in third person mode. I realized that the cursor would show a little X if your shots would be blocked by some part of the level close to you.

A small detail that has kept me from shooting railings like an idiot many times.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Der-Wreck posted:

The redacting of information on memos is pretty funny at times. In the Dead Letters section, you find a number of weird letters that were never properly addressed so they somehow ended up at the Bureau due to their strangeness. One you find just has a repeating message of "I'm wearing a pinstripe suit in a plaid patterned world" over and over again. Except one sentence of the repeating message is redacted. I love thinking about why is that particular line redacted? Is that the one line that causes some weird things to happen? What's the purpose behind the redacting of that specific line?

That one actually creeped me out the most, because I had the thought that the redacted line said something completely different. It reminded me of Twin Peaks, where "the owls are not what they seem" was printed out amongst repeating numbers.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Leal posted:

open to interpenetration
:goatsecx:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Somebody wrote a response to that, where they have no choice but to re-enact the caveman scene from Skooks 3.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

drat you auto correct :arghfist: :mad: :arghfist:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is interpenetration the term for being slammed in the butt by your own butt?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
SCP didn't incent bureaucratic horror. Jesus Christ.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

This conversation just reminded me that I can never remember what SCP actually stands for and my brain has decided to always think of it as Sane Clown Posse. Anyways, back to things in games

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

packetmantis posted:

SCP didn't incent bureaucratic horror. Jesus Christ.

pretty sure the control devs have mentioned being inspired by scp so you're tilting at windmills here

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just started a new game in Control as I haven't played it for months since I got stuck and noticed something interesting. An early document says that one of the prohibited types of items is anything with a particular meaningful connection to an idea or a brand, like rubber ducks or ketchup bottles. All the vending machines have blank packaging that just reads "PISTACHIOS" and "PRETZELS" - because any branded merchandise could interact with one of the phenomenon and therefore are banned.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
And it takes place in the same universe as Alan Wake...

Duracell Batteries caused everything!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Alan Wake DLCs got rid of the Energizer branding so naturally we are to now assume that this was Remedy's way of canonizing Alan Wake into the Control universe years in advance. Speaking of which, I love the Energizer tie-in in Alan Wake because they are lovely terrible batteries that only last for a few seconds when used on high-power. Granted it's spiritual writer-ly darkness melting high-power but it still only really gets about as bright as a floodlight.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CJacobs posted:

The Alan Wake DLCs got rid of the Energizer branding so naturally we are to now assume that this was Remedy's way of canonizing Alan Wake into the Control universe years in advance. Speaking of which, I love the Energizer tie-in in Alan Wake because they are lovely terrible batteries that only last for a few seconds when used on high-power. Granted it's spiritual writer-ly darkness melting high-power but it still only really gets about as bright as a floodlight.

Are they lovely because they only last a couple seconds when turned to supernatural brightness or are they fantastic because regular Energizer batteries can be loaded into a regular flashlight and then explode into extra bright supernatural brightness? Duracell can't get supernaturally bright at all

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To be fair to Energizer, at least they had the better tie-in to Alan Wake. Other tie-ins include Microsoft Sync(tm) in his Lincoln MKT that falls into a ravine, and a Verizon wireless cell phone that has no coverage so an entire level of the game takes place because Alan has to seek out a landline.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BioEnchanted posted:

I just started a new game in Control as I haven't played it for months since I got stuck and noticed something interesting. An early document says that one of the prohibited types of items is anything with a particular meaningful connection to an idea or a brand, like rubber ducks or ketchup bottles. All the vending machines have blank packaging that just reads "PISTACHIOS" and "PRETZELS" - because any branded merchandise could interact with one of the phenomenon and therefore are banned.

Banner but nevertheless you encounter one of them later on in the game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I do like the notices pinned on the noticeboards, but it's a shame they repeat so often, it takes away from the impact they have. Like the Guitar for Sale one was funny, but it's on every one of them. Makes sense because the guy's advertising it, but it means the joke is repeated too much.

Also the portraits in the Boardroom are interesting, they are of all the former directors, but there are also a bunch of empty picture frames filling the wall. It's like the Oldest House knows how many Directors it will have in it's existence and has only prepared that many frames.

Finally, I have a question - in the Internet Room, in the rafters there is a green light. Is that a chest that a later power will let me get, or just an environmental thing? Don't tell me what power it is if it is the former, I just want to know if I'll need to keep it in mind.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 12:43 on Feb 26, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BioEnchanted posted:

Similarly, they only ever use really old technology, in large part because they can't control or predict how that could interact with the forces that exist inside.

I adored seeing that because that's also something from the Southern Reach books, which was another of their big inspirations. Those books actually do show the reason why they adopted that policy, which led to one of the most bizarrely creepy things I've ever read.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That's an interesting aspect because Humanity's technology advanced beyond what the Oldest House could cope with - it's not only that the house is alien to us, we are as unknowable to the House as it is to us.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

That's an interesting aspect because Humanity's technology advanced beyond what the Oldest House could cope with - it's not only that the house is alien to us, we are as unknowable to the House as it is to us.
from what I recall it's more that this stuff is just too new to have fully seeped into humanity's collective unconscious, so the Oldest House doesn't yet understand how to incorporate and reflect e.g. smartphones. Give it a couple of decades.

Yes, Remedy's director is really into Jung

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BioEnchanted posted:

Finally, I have a question - in the Internet Room, in the rafters there is a green light. Is that a chest that a later power will let me get, or just an environmental thing? Don't tell me what power it is if it is the former, I just want to know if I'll need to keep it in mind.

A chest that will require two powers to get but it'll still be tricky. Good eye, there are more like that in the Oldest House.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

from what I recall it's more that this stuff is just too new to have fully seeped into humanity's collective unconscious, so the Oldest House doesn't yet understand how to incorporate and reflect e.g. smartphones. Give it a couple of decades.

Yes, Remedy's director is really into Jung

Yep, that’s exactly what’s going on. Smartphones are ubiquitous but not baked into your ideas of reality and society as say, number two pencils are. Specifically number two pencils, I can’t remember if they’re not allowed or the only pencils allowed, but they work with the Oldest House in a weird way.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

BioEnchanted posted:

I do like the notices pinned on the noticeboards, but it's a shame they repeat so often, it takes away from the impact they have. Like the Guitar for Sale one was funny, but it's on every one of them. Makes sense because the guy's advertising it, but it means the joke is repeated too much.

My favorite one of the PSA posters is the one that says "DELAYS DUE TO HOUSE SHIFTS DO NOT COUNT AS OVERTIME" such a perfectly lovely corporate thing to do.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also a fun mechanical thing is that because of the melee's environmental destruction you can get into some side-rooms before you have the clearance, like a level 5 door in the Maintenance area that has two large windows that you can just break, totally bypassing the door.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There are also the rare times that you can use your powers to build a makeshift set of steps with objects to get up somewhere you otherwise couldn't at that point in the game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

After getting back to Research and finally making progress, I think my favourite aspect of the game is the acting, especially from Dr Darling. I love the one explaining the HRAs where he's blind drunk and having a breakdown because he knows just how badly he's hosed everything up. Even his sentences are awkward because he's trying to save his own rear end by not revealing too much and breaking confidence, but saying enough so that people can save themselves. "So when the classified not-water comes flooding in, you'll be glad you were wearing this.."

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

BioEnchanted posted:

After getting back to Research and finally making progress, I think my favourite aspect of the game is the acting, especially from Dr Darling. I love the one explaining the HRAs where he's blind drunk and having a breakdown because he knows just how badly he's hosed everything up. Even his sentences are awkward because he's trying to save his own rear end by not revealing too much and breaking confidence, but saying enough so that people can save themselves. "So when the classified not-water comes flooding in, you'll be glad you were wearing this.."

Agreed, I am a real big fan of the acting in this. Jesse's frustration in the A Good Defence mission if she fails the obstacle course is great. I failed it one time just before the door close and her FFFUCK!! pretty much mirrored mine. I failed a second time around that point and her "gently caress YOU AWKWARD VOICE GUY!" was just so great

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just got to the Black Rock Processing facility after the Atlas chamber, and I'm basically at the boss but I haven't met/attempted it yet. I liked the keycard puzzle, solved it first time but I liked how the clues were presented.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I love how David Cage is incredibly French and can't design America at all. It's little things that stick out because they're just incredibly wrong but we roll with it because the man is insane and his games are the perfect level of jank

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
David Cage games always have french-rear end-toilets with those button flushes on top instead of a handle.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Today I learned something about american toilets.
Why do they have handles? Do you have to hang on? Are they portable?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Please don't talk about my roller coaster toilet patent it's very secret and I'm trying to keep potential imitators from knowing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

They're like gamecubes, you can bring em over to your friend's house to use together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Lone Badger posted: