Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Honestly, getting the A-list from AMC has caused me to see way more movies than I would have, all because I don't want to "waste" the 20 bucks. I wish you could get a family membership instead of having to buy one for each member of your family. I get $20 worth each month, but my wife doesn't. I've also found that I really enjoy the Dolby Cinema theaters, and since they're included, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Lambert posted:

Movie attendance is still falling pretty briskly. It's simply too expensive and offers a bad experience. Personally, I haven't been to a cinema in years, and I don't think I'm a rare case.

This isn’t necessarily true. AMC for example saw an increase in attendance partly due to its Alist program.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2484181/amc-theatres-says-movie-attendance-is-actually-up-in-2019

As the other goon noted Movie nights are an easy excuse to get out of the house. My wife and I will do a monthly “dinner and a movie” date night because its so convenient and the theater near her work is nice

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I really want to know how A-List works with revenue sharing. Like, if Paramount gets 80% of a films first-week release, how does that work with A-List? Are they just not reporting that as a ticket sale or what?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Solaris 2.0 posted:

This isn’t necessarily true. AMC for example saw an increase in attendance partly due to its Alist program.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2484181/amc-theatres-says-movie-attendance-is-actually-up-in-2019

As the other goon noted Movie nights are an easy excuse to get out of the house. My wife and I will do a monthly “dinner and a movie” date night because its so convenient and the theater near her work is nice

Interesting. Overall, movie attendance is still falling. I can't imagine the market for Movie Pass-type services is all that big, I don't think those are going to save cinemas.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 26, 2020

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Lambert posted:

Interesting. Overall, movie attendance is still falling. I can't imagine the market for Movie Pass-type services is all that big, I don't think those are going to save cinemas.

I think it will eventually level off - like Mall closures. There IS a market for cinemas but it isn’t “five cinemas in town of 20,000” sustainable.

*edit*

Of course if there is an economic downturn and people’s discretionary spending budget zeros out then yea the industry will suffer a whole lot more, but cinemas will never die out completely.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I live down the street from a theater and I've been maybe three times in the last year. Generally the costs are too much. We're spending like $40 a month with on-demand services, even when I want to see a movie it's a difficult cost proposition, given I could stay home and have an expensive night with a 4K rental be $5.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
The improvement of the at-home movie watching experience, combined with the quicker turnaround for at-home viewing have definitely done a number to theatres. Back in ye olde times I was a lot more interested into getting into the theatre because my other option was to wait 600 years to watch an inferior version at home.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The movie industry will probably force itself to exist because it's an effective anti-piracy. There's a clear difference in quality to being in a theater vs the guys sneaking in cameras, plus it's difficult to copy the theater's copy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The industry has reluctantly done some pro-consumer things to combat piracy, like simultaneous worldwide releases and even early releases in Australia where the audience is used to getting everything late and pirates rampantly as a result.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I was probably wrong about the movie theater attendance level bottoming out, but I don't think it will decline that much more after another few years. At that point, the amount of stuff people can stream and the quality they can watch it at home will become pretty normalized. Maybe something else will come along to make staying in an even better idea, but I'm not sure what that'll be.

Independent theaters are all movie to add things to make the movie-going experience better and add other revenue streams to stay afloat. Like selling alcohol, or attaching restaurants to the theater.

The big places will probably just try to survive on big movie releases to generate crowds, and people will to splurge on things like IMAX.

The other big question is what happens if some of the streaming platforms go bust? Will that drive people back to the theater, or will we just see consolidation amongst platforms, and nothing really changes?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I was probably wrong about the movie theater attendance level bottoming out, but I don't think it will decline that much more after another few years. At that point, the amount of stuff people can stream and the quality they can watch it at home will become pretty normalized. Maybe something else will come along to make staying in an even better idea, but I'm not sure what that'll be.

Independent theaters are all movie to add things to make the movie-going experience better and add other revenue streams to stay afloat. Like selling alcohol, or attaching restaurants to the theater.

The big places will probably just try to survive on big movie releases to generate crowds, and people will to splurge on things like IMAX.

The other big question is what happens if some of the streaming platforms go bust? Will that drive people back to the theater, or will we just see consolidation amongst platforms, and nothing really changes?

The consolidation would probably be an improvement given people have been pretty clear that the disparate services have made people just go back to piracy.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
A huge problem facing cinema is the growth of other at-home media competing for attention, specifically video games and the recent wave of high-quality TV.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
How much of the movie going market is accounted for by Fathom Events type things? They usually do stuff like operas/symphonies, anime movies, classic movies, random events and whatnot on midweek nights. I think I remember my local bar/theater even airing NFL games, but that might have been a specific deal they organized. It feels like expanding these sorts of events would be really helpful to boosting the market, especially those places that have large food and booze menus.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The industry has reluctantly done some pro-consumer things to combat piracy, like simultaneous worldwide releases and even early releases in Australia where the audience is used to getting everything late and pirates rampantly as a result.

I feel like piracy grew out of the Netflixless late 90's and early 2000's, and the remainder of people still pirating anything today are broke dorks of the sort who pretend DVD rips are fine.

Any more if you torrent this kind of stuff, half the time you will get a bonus virus.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I feel like piracy grew out of the Netflixless late 90's and early 2000's, and the remainder of people still pirating anything today are broke dorks of the sort who pretend DVD rips are fine.

Any more if you torrent this kind of stuff, half the time you will get a bonus virus.

nah, torrenting is having a bit of an upswing because of the increasing number of streaming platforms making it difficult to have access to everything one may want to watch. the only difficulty now is that after the early aughts heydey of public torrenting it's back to there being a barrier of entry for the casual pirate since you can't just google "frozen 2 screener 4K torrent download" and have something viable pop up

pirating was popular before the early 90s and it's still popular today, but the brief rise and fall of unregulated p2p as well as the rapid growth of public facing torrent sites made it very easy for the layman to participate. now it's tougher again for people who only know of the internet in terms of the world wide web

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

DVD rips are fine.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Pirating is more or less dead because it turns out people's laziness often outstrips their greed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

DVD rips are fine.

fine for a clown, idiot

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

PT6A posted:

Pirating is more or less dead because it turns out people's laziness often outstrips their greed.

This. I'm capable and I don't even feel like it. I just don't want to be bothered.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Torrenting doesn’t exist anymore it’s dead.
On the other hand, no game is worth $70 and many of them aren’t worth anything.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

TyroneGoldstein posted:

This. I'm capable and I don't even feel like it. I just don't want to be bothered.

I'm curious whether pirating is still a thing with teenagers more than adults. Having less free time, more money and no restrictions on what I can or can't buy has made piracy unattractive to me, but I can still see it being attractive to people for whom that's not the case.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

PT6A posted:

I'm curious whether pirating is still a thing with teenagers more than adults. Having less free time, more money and no restrictions on what I can or can't buy has made piracy unattractive to me, but I can still see it being attractive to people for whom that's not the case.

I'm sure there's the same meeting places to trade sources out there as there was 20 years ago.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
20 years ago you had to be a nerd to be on the internet anyway, today when everyone is on the internet you probably have to be a nerd just to get to the pirate sites

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sodomy Hussein posted:

fine for a clown, idiot

?

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

i am harry posted:

Soulseek baby

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Torrenting and piracy is incredibly accessible and easy, I can find any movie or TV show or video game in good resolution in like five minutes, stuff is well seeded, properly encoded, etc. It's very much alive.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

i am harry posted:

Games are loving great now and cheap as all hell unless you're a dumb whale who blasts hundreds of dollars on cosmetics and "boosts"

$60 for full price games in 2020 is so much better than the SNES era

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
As a somewhat amusing aside, I was going to use NFLstreams as an example of easy-access streaming to show that it's not really nerd time anymore with this stuff but I noticed it got shut down on Reddit. Literally 2 minutes later I had a site that not only streams Football, but basically every major sport.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Cicero posted:

Games are loving great now and cheap as all hell unless you're a dumb whale who blasts hundreds of dollars on cosmetics and "boosts"

$60 for full price games in 2020 is so much better than the SNES era

i miss the CAD $49 ps1 era so much

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
a ton of the best games that came out last year are indie titles that are usually like $20 a pop. disco elysium was on the pricey side and it was around $30 although it is a complete masterpiece worth ten times that easily

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PT6A posted:

Uh, pirating is actually on the upswing with the fragmentation of media streaming services and the ease with pirate stream services.

It may seem dead because it's evolved from downloads to illegal streams now. Torrenting gave way to Chinese Android boxes you can buy from Facebook ads running Kodi pirate movie streams. My parents even bought some random box so they could get free movies.

The top paid apps on the AppleTV app store are all IPTV apps for playing pirated sports streams.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Xbox game pass is pretty cool. But I don't mind waiting around for great game sales.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I'm far from broke, torrent just about everything (tv/movies/games/music), and have never gotten a virus from doing so. Most people don't have the technical skills or patience to do this tho.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

luxury handset posted:

20 years ago you had to be a nerd to be on the internet anyway, today when everyone is on the internet you probably have to be a nerd just to get to the pirate sites

Maybe 30 years ago. 20 years ago and over half of the US population was using the internet regularly.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bird in a Blender posted:

Maybe 30 years ago. 20 years ago and over half of the US population was using the internet regularly.

that doesn't quite fit for me anecdotally

https://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/p23-207.pdf

i'm generally thinking here of high schoolers who would go home and log on-line in 2000, not like folks using the internet for part of their workday

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

luxury handset posted:

i'm generally thinking here of high schoolers who would go home and log on-line in 2000, not like folks using the internet for part of their workday

I was a high school teacher up until last year. I would regularly have several students a class viewing pirated and cam movie streams on their phones. Torrenting amongst the youth may not be as popular as it once was, but illegally streaming is probably more popular than torrenting ever was.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/GameStop/comments/f9jphx/store_closings/

More Gamestop closings in April.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Movie theater chat here Cineplex is expanding their VIP concept, which is where you pay more but no children are allowed, and serves booze. Their upcoming product is dinner, drinks, games and children-free cinemas all in one place which sounds like a winner.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

OneEightHundred posted:

A huge problem facing cinema is the growth of other at-home media competing for attention, specifically video games and the recent wave of high-quality TV.

Eh. At least for myself, I'd rather go to the theater the 4-5 new movies a year that are remotely interesting than buy a grand worth of home theater gear that's just going to annoy my neighbors.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Piracy's making a comeback because it now takes 9 different monthly streaming services to have access to everything and even then there is stuff that just plain isn't on any streaming platform.

When you, for some godawful reason, want to watch Mean Guns at 3am there's no place to do so legally.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

FCKGW posted:

Uh, pirating is actually on the upswing with the fragmentation of media streaming services and the ease with pirate stream services.

It may seem dead because it's evolved from downloads to illegal streams now. Torrenting gave way to Chinese Android boxes you can buy from Facebook ads running Kodi pirate movie streams. My parents even bought some random box so they could get free movies.

The top paid apps on the AppleTV app store are all IPTV apps for playing pirated sports streams.

You can buy an android box at Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada.

Movie theater are going to change from giant 24 screen things that show to mostly empty houses half the time to 6 to 10 screen VIP theatres that show to full houses every time.