Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

I have no idea if thats true or not but sounds completely believable given Jeffs opinions.

I'm kind of half kidding, but not really. It's apparently known that Jeff doesn't like Chris, but afaik no one has ever really gone into details on why.

Part of it is very likely that Jeff ended up dating Julie Berry from that season, and Chris was the swing vote who lied to them and then took out Julie at Final Five, so I imagine Julie was not a fan of him at all even though she ultimately voted for him to win.

I genuinely think though that Probst was super pissed about that whole season because pre-merge a bunch of out of shape guys who called themselves the Fat Five seized control of the game, and then at the merge it shifted into an almost entirely female-dominated game who took out everyone but Chris. Adding onto that, most of the younger half of the cast was eliminated pre-jury, and most of the remaining contestants for the back half of the game were pretty old by Survivor standards, and I doubt Jeffrey enjoyed any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Russell is fine but I've never understood why Jeff has such a crush on the guy

He was great television but just a pretty competent player, and there are at least two "pretty competent" players every season, if not closer to 5 or 7. In some seasons the entire final 10 are made up of good players. So it's not like Russell is unique in that regard.

It would be like, if your favorite Survivor was, I dunno, Victoria. She was great television but just a standard decent player.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Because Russell (kinda) ran his season and Jeff loves two things: dominant players, and people who claw their way up from the bottom (hence why we have F4 firemaking and EoE).

Which makes his dislike of Chris Daugherty a little funnier.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Russell was good for ratings. Jeff likes players that give the show good viewer ratings. More people watching Survivor = Jeff gets to ask for more money next time his contract is renewed. (I don't know the nature of Jeff's contracts existence or non existence though)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Russell is also incredibly charismatic...to the audience (Significantly less so to his fellow competitors, which is why I think he's such a polarizing figure). In comparison someone like Victoria is just kind of cardboard and bland, and not all that engaging to watch.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 26, 2020

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Yeah I think whomever was saying they don't see the upside of Russell is forgetting what a shot in the arm he was for the series when s19 and 20 aired. He was great tv, despite being a shitheel in real life and he literally changed how survivor has been played. All that said, I dislike the guy, but he was great on his first two seasons.

It was hilarious to see him get dumpstered on Australian Survivor though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo

My brain read the last bunch of posts as being about Rupert instead of Russell and.... it only sort of didn't make sense

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

SweetJahasus posted:

Jeez man what's with the Cochran fixation? He was a fine winner but drat he's not a hill worth dying on.

Anyway, Fabio won Nicaragua which was a season full of very toxic people, including 2 quitters and nearly a third quitter. The final 3 consisted of Fabio who was a likeable idiot and two unlikeable shits, one of which was Sash who is unpalatable to basically all survivor fans, and the other is a now famous country music star Chase Rice, who doesn't care about survivor and was only there for publicity, which fans hate.

I'd weirdly recommend watching Nicaragua if for nothing else than seeing how odd it was and how it really blunted the impact that s19 and s20 had. Survivor had a gently caress ton of momentum in the wake of Russell and then Nicaragua happened which started the "dark ages".

Ahh thanks.

I'll have to go back and watch the older seasons again at some point

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Aerox posted:

Part of it is very likely that Jeff ended up dating Julie Berry from that season, and Chris was the swing vote who lied to them and then took out Julie at Final Five, so I imagine Julie was not a fan of him at all even though she ultimately voted for him to win.

It's highly likely that this wasn't "part of it" and rather was "the entire reason why" Jeff disliked Chris.

SweetJahasus posted:

Yeah I think whomever was saying they don't see the upside of Russell is forgetting what a shot in the arm he was for the series when s19 and 20 aired. He was great tv, despite being a shitheel in real life and he literally changed how survivor has been played. All that said, I dislike the guy, but he was great on his first two seasons.

Yep. Russell was voted the Sprint player of the season for both S19 and S20, the latter having a number of other fan favorites, such as Rupert who won it in "All-Stars". It may not mean all that much in Samoa, but that's a big feather in the cap for S20.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Bloop posted:

poo poo

My brain read the last bunch of posts as being about Rupert instead of Russell and.... it only sort of didn't make sense

...I just realized that I had the two confused as well lmao

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SweetJahasus posted:

he literally changed how survivor has been played

I think a lot of people are probably forgetting that before Russell people actually waited for clues to the hidden immunity idol instead of just going out and finding it without one

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Rupert is this libertarian rear end in a top hat:

Russell is this guy:

Also sometimes this guy:

It gets a little confusing at times.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BGrifter posted:

Russell is this guy:

this Russell was cool did he ever get another shot?

I have never understood why people liked Rupert

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, he played a second time on Phillipines

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

IcePhoenix posted:

He did, and he was bad. He was a casualty of the infamous Matsing tribe.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Didn’t Rupert win a million as a fan favorite vote?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SweetJahasus posted:

He did, and he was bad. He was a casualty of the infamous Matsing tribe.

oh sad

Silly Burrito posted:

Didn’t Rupert win a million as a fan favorite vote?

unfortunately yes

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

(I don't know the nature of Jeff's contracts existence or non existence though)

It's literally season by season. Jeff likes Russell because Russell finally gave him vindication about the more and more gimmicky nature of the show he turned it into.

IcePhoenix posted:

He played on the season with Skupin, Lisa (Blair from Facts of Life), Jeff Kent and Penner's best performance. It is a top 5 season imo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Russell and Rupert probably get together and drink Natural Light

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Stokes posted:

He played on the season with Skupin, Lisa (Blair from Facts of Life), Jeff Kent and Penner's best performance. It is a top 5 season imo.

It says a lot about my memory that I know I watched it but can't remember any of it until I read about it

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Stokes posted:

This is kinda a crazy take that I've never heard before. For most people it's kind of a bottom tier season with a deserving winner, particularly after all of the Skupin poo poo came to light.

What, outside of Denise's underdog story and Penner bring charismatic, really draws you to this season? Is it Carter?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

Rupert was quite honestly very good on Pearl Island. He was the pirate character in the pirate themed season of Survivor. I think the ability to like or not like Rupert as a Survivor player is going to come down to if you know him from Pearl Islands / All Stars or if you know him from his much shittier later appearances.

I mean people liked Rupert enough that CBS created the loving most liked player award so they could give Rupert a million bucks.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My mom knew Rupert growing up. Said he was nice as a kid, kind of quiet etc.

She also called him a dumbass for trying to build that shelter on the sand in All-Stars lol.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

SweetJahasus posted:

What, outside of Denise's underdog story and Penner bring charismatic, really draws you to this season? Is it Carter?

I like seasons where the players cause the chaos instead of the gimmicks. Lisa made moves all over the place while dealing with inner turmoil. Penner made moves all over the place intentionally as part of his strategy, and probably would have won the game if he made it into the final 3. Skupin made a very good villain suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect. Abi was hilarious and got under everyone's skin but like in the good way. I also have a heavy bias against any season that features an Exile Island of some sort, and this season took place after Redemption Island and South Pacific. I remember it being a welcome change of pace when I first watched it.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 27, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Nu Uh, this better not be the episode Parvy goes home. Too soon!

The season that had the "side island" thing I hated most was the one where Sugar kept getting sent there over and over.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
the gently caress? You can just give the idol half back and suddenly it's a full idol?

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

oh adam, you sweet summer child you

also lmao if that idol actually works like that

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

lmao this is some cutthroat poo poo right here

natalie is really good at the edge stuff

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, cool to see Natalie still playing on extinction. And nice that there is a game to play

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This is the diabolical gameplay I wanted to see on Edge the first season.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yikes, a cop sneaking into someone's home at night. They don't get guns on the island, do they?

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

what in god's name is going on with these two goobers right now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh okay, hell yeah. Two cops spitting on eachother? This is action I can get behind.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Remember Sara, this is a sneaking mission.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

what the gently caress, lmao

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I want to never forget the time Tony and Sara spit on Sara to make face paint that still didn't work and was never necessary.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I kept expecting a large exclamation mark over Ben's head.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Good lord every cop on this show who isn't tony is so annoying. Not everything is exactly like your job! You don't have to make everything a metaphor about being a cop!

...That was a pretty amusing sequence though. Good job, producers.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

i did look away so i'm not even 100% sure what just happened

did they raid the other tribe for fire tokens? is that what that was??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

.....is rob tanking on purpose to try to eliminate the inter-tribe competition?

i mean this is physically difficult stuff to be sure but like

hm. makes u think