Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dragon Quest: Your Story

They were already playing fast and loose with DQ5's story for this as it is but removing the Hero's daughter from everything seems like a weird choice. Also I wish there had been more monster catching besides the slime and sabercat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

My new dumb moment from the Firefly movie is that the ravagers/reavers/ragers/whatever is that they're operating ships but also shown to be nonstop batshit slobbering, snarling, maniacs. But most of your time in space is spent just sitting in a ship and doing maintenance. So are they just hanging out in the mess hall, the crew quarters, the engineering rooms, screaming and growling at nothing while they check on the oil temperature in the generator that powers the walk-in freezer? Shrieking in madness as they drop a deuce in the toilet? Ripping out their own hair and clawing at their faces in fervor while they carefully monitor their thrust efficiency on their main engines?

Also, to reiterate, I haven't seen it in years and refuse to rewatch it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Eclipse12 posted:

My new dumb moment from the Firefly movie is that the ravagers/reavers/ragers/whatever is that they're operating ships but also shown to be nonstop batshit slobbering, snarling, maniacs. But most of your time in space is spent just sitting in a ship and doing maintenance. So are they just hanging out in the mess hall, the crew quarters, the engineering rooms, screaming and growling at nothing while they check on the oil temperature in the generator that powers the walk-in freezer? Shrieking in madness as they drop a deuce in the toilet? Ripping out their own hair and clawing at their faces in fervor while they carefully monitor their thrust efficiency on their main engines?

Either the show or the movie mentions that their ships are radioactive disasters.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Eclipse12 posted:

This plotpoint made me dislike the movie so hard, because the Reapers really didn't need an origin. The first episode says they're people who got space dementia, and thats a perfectly horrifying premise! A ship thats stared into the void for so long that they have no sense of humanity left? Terrifying. The byproduct of some numb chemical? Not so much.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sobatchja Morda posted:

This plotpoint made me dislike the movie so hard, because the Reapers really didn't need an origin. The first episode says they're people who got space dementia, and thats a perfectly horrifying premise! A ship thats stared into the void for so long that they have no sense of humanity left? Terrifying. The byproduct of some numb chemical? Not so much.

Medichlorine!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

MariusLecter posted:

Medichlorine!

hold up, does the entire movie hinge on some grognard-rear end satire/inversion of midichlorians? is that the whole fuckin point?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

hold up, does the entire movie hinge on some grognard-rear end satire/inversion of midichlorians? is that the whole fuckin point?

Nahh the drug was called The Peace or something, it was supposed to suppress violence in the population, and it mostly did, but then people on the planet where they tested it stopped bothering to do poo poo like eat. A very small percentage of the population was sent insane and became the cannibal mutants, because why not!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Memento posted:

Nahh the drug was called The Peace or something, it was supposed to suppress violence in the population, and it mostly did, but then people on the planet where they tested it stopped bothering to do poo poo like eat. A very small percentage of the population was sent insane and became the cannibal mutants, because why not!

i assumed medichlorine was the chemical name when aparently i've just been spelling midichlorian wrong this whole time?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

the entire ask/tell religion thread is going to show up outside your house and demand a debate.

God no, this thread has more than sated my curiosity

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Isn’t there an episode where a guy who’s like a 2nd or whatever generation reaver acts like normal?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i assumed medichlorine was the chemical name when aparently i've just been spelling midichlorian wrong this whole time?

holy poo poo no, it was a joke. They were making a joke on midichlorians and chlorine. :doh:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He was kinda normal for a bit, but went bonkers after being captured by reavers and losing his goddamn mind. No Pax needed, just good ol fashioned PTSD.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He was kinda normal for a bit, but went bonkers after being captured by reavers and losing his goddamn mind. No Pax needed, just good ol fashioned PTSD.

Yeah I think it was implied that it was how the Reavers 'spread' - the initial batch were the colonists, but the reason there's still so many of them is because sometimes people live, then develop their own purestrain mania.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm suddenly reminder of the Joker, another chemical-influenced lunatic who's never laughing louder than when he manages to drive someone else almost as crazy as he is. (unless they turn out like the Creeper)

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Sonic the Hedgehog: "Hey, what's that?"
"Oh, just apartment listings I found on Zillow.com." (lingering shot of Zillow website)

Very subtle.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That just reminded me of this joke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay5JmB06NjA

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Firefly's villains mostly fit into a solid theme of the shady underdogs vs the greedy establishment, and the Reavers hosed all that up by just being useless space-orcs. At least they killed Wash and allowed Alan Tudyk to distance himself from Whedon.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Crowetron posted:

Firefly's villains mostly fit into a solid theme of the shady underdogs vs the greedy establishment, and the Reavers hosed all that up by just being useless space-orcs. At least they killed Wash and allowed Alan Tudyk to distance himself from Whedon.

The reavers are the natives in Firefly's space-western universe. You know, just like the indigenous people of the American west....mindless, bloodthirsty savages who randomly attack civilized settlements and rape them to death.

Whedon is....hard to look back on.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember the movie acting like that little poem Wash recites is something he's always done, and not something they had him do only in Serenity so he could have that moment when he's killed. Sort of like how they gave David Krumholtz(?) a whole memorial at the end as though he'd always been a character in the show.

I'm still loving irritated that I watched all of that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Crowetron posted:

Tudyk kept working with Whedon at least up through the second season of Dollhouse, like five years after Serenity. And uh even if they hadn't killed Wash how would that have had any bearing on Tudyk and Whedon's relationship, the show had already been canceled for two years at that point?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

wizzardstaff posted:

The reavers are the natives in Firefly's space-western universe. You know, just like the indigenous people of the American west....mindless, bloodthirsty savages who randomly attack civilized settlements and rape them to death.

Whedon is....hard to look back on.

Yeah, exactly. It's in ways even worse. The early non-ironic Westerns definitely portrayed them that way, but then revisionist Westerns came along and said that no, the Natives weren't like that. The Natives had their own civilization and rules of behavior just like the white man did, and while they could have their own villains and transgressors just like the white man's civilization did, this perception of them as mindless bloodthirsty savages was one borne out of fear and ignorance and didn't reflect reality.

Firefly could have gone on to show that as well. Maybe these Reavers are just a bunch of violent outcasts, rejected by their home societies. Maybe the stories of their rapine and brigandage are overblown, maybe they are really bad people like pirates but then there's still some degree of order out there, like Reaver communities they need to go back to to rearm/refuel/sell their booty. But then Serenity came along and, nope, they actually are just mindless bloodthirsty savages who randomly attack civilized settlements and rape them to death. The common sentiment is completely accurate, the "natives" really are that bad.

Plus man oh man the whole concept is ridiculous. Space is incredibly deadly as an environment, people flying around in space ships who are nothing but insane rage-monsters is even more ridiculous than, say, people who in in an underwater habitat, or cave divers, who are nothing but insane rage-monsters. They'd all be dead in a day.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not a fan of all the foreshadowing in Us. It fucks with the flow of the film when Peele pauses the action and says "pay attention to this toy ambulance, it will be important later".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
One of the biggest issues I have with Firefly is that Whedon wanted to have it both ways with the character of Inara. So she's a sex worker in the future where it's actually considered one of the most respected and highly-paid positions one could have. Almost everywhere they go she's received almost like royalty.

And yet Mal is constantly calling her a whore and a slut and making fun of her for sleeping around. If this is a culture where sex work is one of the highest professions, why would this language even still exist? Why would he feel the need to use it? He's not a time traveler or anything, he's aware of how things work. And why aren't other characters telling him to shut up for being so incredibly rude and disrespectful?

It's the same kind of bullshit feminism that Whedon professes when he regularly portrays female characters getting beaten half to death.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

At the risk of sounding like I'm defending Firefly (jesus no) the show does make it pretty clear, over and over again, that Mal is a pretty lovely person. That's pretty much why only his tiny crew can be bothered to put up with him at all, and even they do call him out pretty often. It's got the Breaking Bad problem where the protagonist does some cool (or horribly toxic) things and because they're the protagonist - and the threats they're facing are nebulously "worse" - people latch on to them as "good guys" despite all evidence to the contrary.

Whedon himself probably doesn't take this view, from the "big drat heroes" scene and others like it, but it really does seem pretty evident from the actual text of the show.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

Whedon himself probably doesn't take this view, from the "big drat heroes" scene and others like it, but it really does seem pretty evident from the actual text of the show.

There's one episode where Mal tries to defend Inara's honor against her will in a sword duel. Not only is Inara better than Mal at sword fighting, Mal is so bad he almost gets killed. Inara then deals with the rear end in a top hat who offended her literally by typing in a warning and solves the problem while Mal accomplish nothing and the episode is very clear about him being in the wrong.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Eclipse12 posted:

Im glad I'm not the only one who found this totally nonsensical. You have to actually like, do stuff to run a spaceship, at least within the fiction of Firefly you do. Also their rate of crew replenishment would need to be super high, way higher than would be possible given everything we're shown about the reavers. It's not like they're ever shown as having the nous or the planning abilities to carry out successful raids aimed at gathering crew, which they would absolutely have to do.

What a stupid loving series.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phanatic posted:

Plus man oh man the whole concept is ridiculous. Space is incredibly deadly as an environment, people flying around in space ships who are nothing but insane rage-monsters is even more ridiculous than, say, people who in in an underwater habitat, or cave divers, who are nothing but insane rage-monsters. They'd all be dead in a day.

Its not The Expanse though. In The Expanse you'd definitely be dead with rage monsters. But in shows like Star Trek or Firefly the tech is advanced enough that its like riding the subway. Rage monsters can definitely manage to ride the subway, somehow.

That said, I agree that it works better if the idea is they're just derelict ships that have gone insane from being in space too long, and no longer have control. But then they couldn't really "attack" you, you'd have to like board with them on accident or something.
It does seem like a stretch that crazy people could pilot ships and intercept enemy ships.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The best way I saw the kind of idea done was with Star Trek: Voyager, that alien race who was dying of super-cancer and so became masters of genetic manipulation and transplant technology (the same guys who steel Neelix's lungs in an early episode). Basically they became organ vampires, stealing healthy organs from whatever species they could find, so they figured out how to manipulate the genetic code in such a way that the organ wouldn't be rejected. They are awful people, totally obsessed with their own survival over all other concerns and the welbeing of others, but rather than being mindless they are the foremost authority on genetic manipulation in the universe. It just wasn't enough to cure their cancer, they found out the hard way that it's incurable because they know literally everything there is to know about cells and stuff and nothing they tried worked.

They are an unstoppable force who feed on other species, but they have an interesting reason for it and they aren't mindless savages.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You could still do it, but I think you'd just need to have them be crazy in a different way, same predisposition to violence but without losing the ability to think rationally.

Hell, maybe even take the malevolence out of it and make them so unhinged that they honestly think they're doing you a favor by skinning you alive.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

christmas boots posted:

You could still do it, but I think you'd just need to have them be crazy in a different way, same predisposition to violence but without losing the ability to think rationally.

Hell, maybe even take the malevolence out of it and make them so unhinged that they honestly think they're doing you a favor by skinning you alive.

You mean like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wxb8HjiDLQ

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

That was always the scariest part of the game IMO, even if that level did have to cheat a jump scare.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BioEnchanted posted:

The best way I saw the kind of idea done was with Star Trek: Voyager, that alien race who was dying of super-cancer and so became masters of genetic manipulation and transplant technology (the same guys who steel Neelix's lungs in an early episode). Basically they became organ vampires, stealing healthy organs from whatever species they could find, so they figured out how to manipulate the genetic code in such a way that the organ wouldn't be rejected. They are awful people, totally obsessed with their own survival over all other concerns and the welbeing of others, but rather than being mindless they are the foremost authority on genetic manipulation in the universe. It just wasn't enough to cure their cancer, they found out the hard way that it's incurable because they know literally everything there is to know about cells and stuff and nothing they tried worked.

They are an unstoppable force who feed on other species, but they have an interesting reason for it and they aren't mindless savages.

Your'e leaving out the best part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiMBaymAACQ

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, I started to think that it was an attempt to one-up the idea of space pirates. It makes no actual sense when you think about it, but it's real to the characters so you're supposed to go with it. The actual explanation in the movie made enough sense to me.

Then again, I'll defend Firefly insofar as I just like seeing something fun set in space, and the actors really sell it without being too serious all the time.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

One of the biggest issues I have with Firefly is that Whedon wanted to have it both ways with the character of Inara. So she's a sex worker in the future where it's actually considered one of the most respected and highly-paid positions one could have. Almost everywhere they go she's received almost like royalty.

And yet Mal is constantly calling her a whore and a slut and making fun of her for sleeping around. If this is a culture where sex work is one of the highest professions, why would this language even still exist? Why would he feel the need to use it? He's not a time traveler or anything, he's aware of how things work. And why aren't other characters telling him to shut up for being so incredibly rude and disrespectful?

It's the same kind of bullshit feminism that Whedon professes when he regularly portrays female characters getting beaten half to death.

I mean, that's how extremely high-class prostitutes get treated all through real history. People would spend fortunes just to spend time with the highest ranking courtesans in Japan, for example, while girls in a rando corner brothel would get treated like dirt.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mal's also from the Space South. He doesn't like any of the Space Yankee traditions.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

At the risk of sounding like I'm defending Firefly (jesus no) the show does make it pretty clear, over and over again, that Mal is a pretty lovely person.

No, it doesn't. That's something that the fans pretend happens but it really doesn't. For all the talk about complexity and shades of grey, Mal is a straight-up boy scout. He gives the loot from the train robbery back. Han Solo is less of a caricature than Mal is.

And the bit with treating Inara as some common street whore is by no means limited to Mal. Everyone in this Whedonverse does. Her profession is supposed to be like some sort of ultra-geisha, so respected that even her mere presence on the ship can get them access to ports that wouldn't otherwise let them in. But whenever her presence is an actual plot point on the planet of the week, everyone involved is treating her like some common street whore. Like everything else on the show, it's trapping without substance, the illusion of defying expectations which are actually left entirely undefined. And jesus for broken-rear end portrayals of women let's not even get started on Kaylee.

The one that bugs the poo poo out of me in Serenity is when he shoots the operative. In the show, there's a bit where a character (I forget which one, either the requisite uber-competent captain or the requisite uber-competent mechanic) is taken hostage, and Mal's reaction is to instantly draw his pistol and shoot the hostage taker in the head. Amazing shot. Mal's both an amazing shot and has profound confidence in what an amazing shot he is. Then in Serenity he's faced with the operative, an official cop of the official government in a universe that has body armor that can stop pistol bullets, and he shoots him once in the chest and then turns his back on him. So now Mal has to be the biggest idiot in the world not because it flows from the character or the situation, but because the writer couldn't come up with any better way for the operative to get the drop on him.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not The Expanse though. In The Expanse you'd definitely be dead with rage monsters. But in shows like Star Trek or Firefly the tech is advanced enough that its like riding the subway.

But it's not, though! poo poo breaks down all the time. We're already told that Reavers do such a bad job of maintaining their ships that they leak radiation and are spewing all that crud out of the exhaust. The tech and difficulty of traveling in space is way close to the Expanse than it is in Trek. If they're don't have the capability or the self-preservation instinct to maintain their engines well enough to not spray radiation everywhere, then they're also not maintaining their space suits, or their door seals, or the other millions of moving parts they rely on to stay alive.

Schubalts posted:

I mean, that's how extremely high-class prostitutes get treated all through real history. People would spend fortunes just to spend time with the highest ranking courtesans in Japan, for example, while girls in a rando corner brothel would get treated like dirt.

The problem is that Inara is simultaneously said to be like the highest ranking courtesans in Japan, while everyone in-universe treats her as a girl in the rando corner brothel. Hence the having it both ways.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Feb 26, 2020

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
After the movie came out, I kinda figured the majority of the OG reavers were dead from being space crazy, and the PTSD reavers were the loony ones running around doing all the bad poo poo. Like they were crazy, but not so crazy they'd play "Push the red button while standing in the airlock".

That (to me, anyway) fit the idea of these radioactive hulks in space spewing radiation from faulty shielding, killing the crew over time, while replacement loonies were "recruited" to the crew via piracy/kidnapping.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not The Expanse though. In The Expanse you'd definitely be dead with rage monsters. But in shows like Star Trek or Firefly the tech is advanced enough that its like riding the subway.

Literally 1/15th of the runtime of the entire show is about the Serenity running out of magic space gas and everyone coming within minutes of dying horribly, I don't know where you would even get the idea that they're some kind of post-scarcity society like in Star Trek.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Phanatic posted:

No, it doesn't. That's something that the fans pretend happens but it really doesn't. For all the talk about complexity and shades of grey, Mal is a straight-up boy scout. He gives the loot from the train robbery back. Han Solo is less of a caricature than Mal is.

And the bit with treating Inara as some common street whore is by no means limited to Mal. Everyone in this Whedonverse does. Her profession is supposed to be like some sort of ultra-geisha, so respected that even her mere presence on the ship can get them access to ports that wouldn't otherwise let them in. But whenever her presence is an actual plot point on the planet of the week, everyone involved is treating her like some common street whore. Like everything else on the show, it's trapping without substance, the illusion of defying expectations which are actually left entirely undefined. And jesus for broken-rear end portrayals of women let's not even get started on Kaylee.

The one that bugs the poo poo out of me in Serenity is when he shoots the operative. In the show, there's a bit where a character (I forget which one, either the requisite uber-competent captain or the requisite uber-competent mechanic) is taken hostage, and Mal's reaction is to instantly draw his pistol and shoot the hostage taker in the head. Amazing shot. Mal's both an amazing shot and has profound confidence in what an amazing shot he is. Then in Serenity he's faced with the operative, an official cop of the official government in a universe that has body armor that can stop pistol bullets, and he shoots him once in the chest and then turns his back on him. So now Mal has to be the biggest idiot in the world not because it flows from the character or the situation, but because the writer couldn't come up with any better way for the operative to get the drop on him.

But it's not, though! poo poo breaks down all the time. We're already told that Reavers do such a bad job of maintaining their ships that they leak radiation and are spewing all that crud out of the exhaust. The tech and difficulty of traveling in space is way close to the Expanse than it is in Trek. If they're don't have the capability or the self-preservation instinct to maintain their engines well enough to not spray radiation everywhere, then they're also not maintaining their space suits, or their door seals, or the other millions of moving parts they rely on to stay alive.

The problem is that Inara is simultaneously said to be like the highest ranking courtesans in Japan, while everyone in-universe treats her as a girl in the rando corner brothel. Hence the having it both ways.

I actually forgot that it was more than just Mal that was treating her like that, but thank you for further proving my point. Whedon wanted the appearance of promoting a positive feminist portrayal of a sex worker, but then also have plenty of whore lines and jokes and plot points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Literally 1/15th of the runtime of the entire show is about the Serenity running out of magic space gas and everyone coming within minutes of dying horribly, I don't know where you would even get the idea that they're some kind of post-scarcity society like in Star Trek.

lol one episode

dunno where you possibly invented "post-scarcity economy" from since I said nothing of the sort, really going out of your way to try to dunk on me here. They live on the frontier and they're poor outlaws, but the point is they're at risk of running out of food and gas. They're not at risk of the ship exploding from too much pressure because they didn't properly calculate the azimuth angle or something like that which requires higher brain function.