Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Happy New Year!
This poll is closed.
Happy New Year! 38 22.22%
This year's going to suck too! 78 45.61%
Wait, it's still 2019! 17 9.94%
Zzzzzzzzzz 38 22.22%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Arist posted:

I enjoy SAO, my own "oh I see why they would do this even if I disagree" is more the uh, Goblin Slayer thing

If you see it you're my enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ive become what i never thought i would and now have to defend goblin slayer from being the catalyst for an aged and conservative government doing a ridiculous show trial and polemic against an entire country's artistic output.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Politics makes strange bedfellows, as they say.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Arist posted:

I enjoy SAO, my own "oh I see why they would do this even if I disagree" is more the uh, Goblin Slayer thing

It's amazing how things change when a nerd hobby about watching foreign cartoons with the blood and sex becomes mainstream.
No complaints in the 80s and 90s because barely any of it came overseas, and normal people weren't watching it, much less their kids.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

again, i'm not pro-censorship, I'm mostly just saying I'm shocked it took this long for that show to attract this kind of attention

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean like Sharky said it's all a show trial, so it only attracted this kind of attention because someone felt like they needed to morally grandstand.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mister Facetious posted:

It's amazing how things change when a nerd hobby about watching foreign cartoons with the blood and sex becomes mainstream.
No complaints in the 80s and 90s because barely any of it came overseas, and normal people weren't watching it, much less their kids.

Normal people still don't watch Goblin Slayer.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Toshimo posted:

They see their kids watching it on Crunchyroll and flip out.

Same as when their parents saw kids their age playing Mortal Kombat and doing fatalities.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
having a discussion about whether people should be morally judged for watching a controversial anime that was moderately popular is just about the stupidest turn we could take with this conversation

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

wasn't gs the most popular anime on crunchyroll the season it aired? I'm pretty sure normal people do watch it, unfortunately

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That was mainly in the beginning of the season where people were checking out the controversy and trying to own the libs but I think it dropped off as the season went on and people realized the show was just kinda bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

normal people watch game of thrones

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

That was mainly in the beginning of the season where people were checking out the controversy and trying to own the libs but I think it dropped off as the season went on and people realized the show was just kinda bad.
Crunchyroll says it was the most popular anime in every single state a month into the season; I haven't been able to find a source on whether that changed, but my assumption would be that it didn't. So

Toshimo posted:

would seem to be deeply wrong. SA isn't the world; just because people here thought it was a weird show for weirdos doesn't mean the world did, the discourse dropped off here doesn't mean people elsewhere stopped watching and engaging with it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What if normal people aren't real?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A month into the season is what I would call near the beginning of the season, yes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The idea that the average person does any moral examination of the art they're consuming is completely ridiculous, by the way. Stuff like Judge Judy, Live PD, or any number of reality shows that market themselves off the suffering of real people are insanely popular, but a work of fiction that uses sexual assault as a clumsy, overbearing threat is a bridge too far?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

A month into the season is what I would call near the beginning of the season, yes.
I would agree. But it's past the three-episode test; where's the evidence that people stopped watching? I might be wrong, but given that it didn't seem like people were dropping off over the course of the season and the sole piece I was able to find on Fall 2018 viewership statistics said "people are watching Goblin Slayer", I'm kind of inclined to think those people stuck with it. I might be wrong but I haven't seen anything suggesting I am!

also I don't think most people watching gs were even aware of the controversy. they probably went "wow cool dark fantasy show" and skipped completely over the bad stuff

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's because it's from a foreign country and also a lot of people still think all animation is for children.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
All that sounds incredibly boring, ngl.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

like I wanted to avoid talking about the content of goblin slayer because I haven't seen it and can therefore only regurgitate and synthesize other people's opinions, but here's my take: it's bad. the eroticization of sexual violence is obviously bad, and the presentation of an evil race of demihumans who are simultaneously evil and free-willed and who live as parasites on society and who go unchecked despite causing massive problems because ~people aren't willing to talk about it~—that's bad. but it's only slightly exaggerated compared to every work of Tolkien-derived fantasy—and therefore every work of D&D-derived fantasy—featuring orc-like "demi-humans", which is a hell of a lot of fantasy. if you've consumed a lot of fantasy, it's not impossible to totally gloss over the weird goblin stuff as genre convention

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

piss

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no thats magical girl raising project

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't care whether someone likes goblin slayer or shield hero or whatever. i care if someone is being weird or a jackass but i literally could not care whatsoever about whether they like a dumb popular dark fantasy anime. this conversation is entirely pointless and irrelevant and having it literally does not do anything of worth for anyone at all

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Conversation about Prison School was last page. Please try and keep up.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Endorph posted:

no thats magical girl raising project

I wanted to like that one but I was just "who gives a poo poo" four episodes in.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

I wanted to like that one but I was just "who gives a poo poo" four episodes in.
There's this article in TV Tropes that describes the "Eight Deadly Words", and I always found it a bit funny that they simply did not change it to the more common "I don't give a gently caress/poo poo about these people/characters". Like every friend/acquaintance/mutual of SMS always uses that expression or the spanish/portuguese/Japanese equivalent of that. It's never "Oh, I could care less about the plot" or "I don't care what happens to these people". It's always expletive-filled/angry.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i don't care whether someone likes goblin slayer or shield hero or whatever. i care if someone is being weird or a jackass but i literally could not care whatsoever about whether they like a dumb popular dark fantasy anime. this conversation is entirely pointless and irrelevant and having it literally does not do anything of worth for anyone at all
But the media you consume is politics now

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

save eromanga sensei

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

There's this article in TV Tropes that describes the "Eight Deadly Words", and I always found it a bit funny that they simply did not change it to the more common "I don't give a gently caress/poo poo about these people/characters". Like every friend/acquaintance/mutual of SMS always uses that expression or the spanish/portuguese/Japanese equivalent of that. It's never "Oh, I could care less about the plot" or "I don't care what happens to these people". It's always expletive-filled/angry.
https://youtu.be/a6Dc7W6jXCo

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

homeless snail posted:

save eromanga sensei

save emily granger

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

gonna go full old man and say isekai is ruining Audible and needs to be stopped.
it's saturating the science fantasy genre with mediocre litrpg garbage and bad tropes that conventional authors mostly moved away from years ago. :bahgawd:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 26, 2020

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Meh. I'm not gonna watch it so I don't give a poo poo

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I have here in my hand a list of 205—a list of names that were made known to the Secretary of Anime as being members of the isekai anime and who nevertheless are still working and shaping policy in the anime industry.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

chumbler posted:

What if normal people aren't real?

Sorry. I should have said that well-adjusted people don't watch Goblin Slayer, instead. And, no, apparently, well-adjusted people don't exist.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Sorry. I should have said that well-adjusted people don't watch Goblin Slayer, instead. And, no, apparently, well-adjusted people don't exist.

Well-adjusted anime watchers... :thunk:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mister Facetious posted:

Well-adjusted anime watchers... :thunk:

Like any good salaryman, I just pick up my biweekly copy of Golgo 13 at the news stand.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

gonna go full old man and say isekai is ruining Audible and needs to be stopped.
it's saturating the science fantasy genre with mediocre litrpg garbage and bad tropes that conventional authors mostly moved away from years ago. :bahgawd:
peanut butter is ruining reese's cups

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Just to be clear, I'm not particularly averse to sex or violence. I don't see an issue with Berserk or Gantz or Tokyo Ghoul using brutality as a tool. I even think you can have a good old fashioned horny af anime that is also very violent like Dorohedoro.

But, I think when you write a story about stereotypical otherized beings that can only survive as a species by kidnapping and raping women to death and proceed to make a manga and an anime where this is repeatedly made visually prominent, then maybe that becoming a mainstream hit should be an indication of the industry needing some sort of self-reflection about what sort of culture of fandom it is supporting.

If that makes me the weirdo minority in the paradigm, I'll live with that.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Please do not bring the cursed genre into this comfy place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Toshimo posted:

Like any good salaryman, I just pick up my biweekly copy of Golgo 13 at the news stand.
I like how in some countries they just do a "Greatest Hits" compilations for it.

Thanks, Gramps. :(