Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
Just throwing my hat in the ring, my XS Max is also on the latest non beta update and does not do this. I really haven’t touched the music app whatsoever as far as messing around with any settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Which to-do app do people use now that everyone and their mother stopped creating them?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LODGE NORTH posted:

Which to-do app do people use now that everyone and their mother stopped creating them?

I moved from Omni Focus to Things about a year ago and have been pretty happy with it.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Proteus Jones posted:

I moved from Omni Focus to Things about a year ago and have been pretty happy with it.

I love Things, but I can’t seem to get used to lack of Omnifocus’ forecast and Perspectives. I always go back.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

I like Todoist but I couldn’t really tell you why.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

I use AnyList

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Since Fantastical changed for the worse, I’m looking for an alternative to do one thing, and one thing only. Perhaps the default calendar will do it and I’ve just missed it. Here’s what I’m looking for:

I want to press one button and have my phone show a list of my next handful of events in order, no matter what days they’re on. No spaces denoting empty days, just a list.

That’s it. I use the iCloud calendar. Any suggestions?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Since Fantastical changed for the worse, I’m looking for an alternative to do one thing, and one thing only. Perhaps the default calendar will do it and I’ve just missed it. Here’s what I’m looking for:

I want to press one button and have my phone show a list of my next handful of events in order, no matter what days they’re on. No spaces denoting empty days, just a list.

Does the “today” view in the iOS calendar not do that?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Does the “today” view in the iOS calendar not do that?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I want to press one button and have my phone show a list of my next handful of events in order, no matter what days they’re on.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Tap the Reminders-esque three-line icon in the top bar of the Today view to get what you're looking for.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I actually don't know how I activated it, but it used to show a similar icon, but the top bit was a rectangle. Then I switched back and forth or did the motions to and it somehow changed to the standard three-dot, three-line glyph and now it shows what I expected it to.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I use the Agenda+ widget for pretty much this (I think). It shows your upcoming events in chrono order without any blanks, and can be tweaked to show only certain calendars, plus your choice of how many events at once. AND it puts a "directions" button if you have a location saved to the event in calendar, which will take you directly to Maps.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

I actually don't know how I activated it, but it used to show a similar icon, but the top bit was a rectangle. Then I switched back and forth or did the motions to and it somehow changed to the standard three-dot, three-line glyph and now it shows what I expected it to.

The one with the rectangle appears in month view.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

LODGE NORTH posted:

Here is the very sensible It Just WorksTM way to access that Agenda view.

In the calendar app on your iPhone, go to the single-month view. Make sure the rectangle with two list items hamburger-ish menu icon is not highlighed. Tap into a day that has an event in it, this brings up a view of that individual day with hourly markers. The rectangle hamburger-ish menu now shows three list items and no rectangle to look more like a normal hamburger menu. Now you get an agenda of all your upcoming calendar events.

https://streamable.com/dhn87

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 27, 2020

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I finally got dark mode gmail :cool:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It's been nearly half a year since the new version of Reminders on iCloud and still there's no option to set a date/time or a Today view on the webapp. All this functionality used to be there and it's kind of embarrassing at this stage that it hasn't been reimplemented.

Jazz Marimba posted:

I finally got dark mode gmail :cool:
Send me some of that dark mode magic please. :(

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It would be cool if Apple banned A/B testing fuckery from the app store

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Question Mark Mound posted:

It's been nearly half a year since the new version of Reminders on iCloud and still there's no option to set a date/time or a Today view on the webapp. All this functionality used to be there and it's kind of embarrassing at this stage that it hasn't been reimplemented.
There’s a bug that breaks reminders on iOS entirely that affects a small but not insignificant percentage of the user base. Doesn’t sync with iCloud. App non responsive. Notifications unable to be used to mark a reminder complete reliably. “Hey Siri” unable to create new reminders.

Ask me how I know about the bug.

Six months I’ve been unable to use my most used app. At least they took me seriously and I’ve spent several hours over a month providing logs and screen recordings for their dev team.

But I feel six months is some bullshit for one of the core features of their flagship product to be non functional.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Thanks. That’s exactly what I was looking for.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

CaptainCrunch posted:

There’s a bug that breaks reminders on iOS entirely that affects a small but not insignificant percentage of the user base. Doesn’t sync with iCloud. App non responsive. Notifications unable to be used to mark a reminder complete reliably. “Hey Siri” unable to create new reminders.

Ask me how I know about the bug.

Six months I’ve been unable to use my most used app. At least they took me seriously and I’ve spent several hours over a month providing logs and screen recordings for their dev team.

But I feel six months is some bullshit for one of the core features of their flagship product to be non functional.
I had this same problem that, over time, became many different permutations of the problems you listed. It’s now improved to a simply “app runs like poo poo and sometimes reminders you completed or changed the time on will just show back up again for no reason”.

I might do a complete restore on my iPhone and iPad this weekend to see if that sorts anything.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

I had this same problem that, over time, became many different permutations of the problems you listed. It’s now improved to a simply “app runs like poo poo and sometimes reminders you completed or changed the time on will just show back up again for no reason”.

I might do a complete restore on my iPhone and iPad this weekend to see if that sorts anything.

I think I actually fixed it. I finally updated to Catalina on my iMac last night and I was looking at Reminders there and it showed that I had... 17,000+ completed reminders. I did the show completed thing and they all seemed to be duplicates. I think when I I stupidly pressed the “upgrade” button on my phones reminders in Oct it botched up the process. Considering my reminders disappeared for like a week...

Anyhow I ran a shortcut that deleted all completed reminders and it seems to have fixed all the problems I whined about. At least for the last 2 hours at least.

So give that a peek and see if you’re in the same boat!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

LODGE NORTH posted:

i tried all of them and went back to omnifocus, i like perspectives and defer dates

it is having some weird freezes on ios lately tho

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

CaptainCrunch posted:

I think I actually fixed it. I finally updated to Catalina on my iMac last night and I was looking at Reminders there and it showed that I had... 17,000+ completed reminders. I did the show completed thing and they all seemed to be duplicates. I think when I I stupidly pressed the “upgrade” button on my phones reminders in Oct it botched up the process. Considering my reminders disappeared for like a week...

Anyhow I ran a shortcut that deleted all completed reminders and it seems to have fixed all the problems I whined about. At least for the last 2 hours at least.

So give that a peek and see if you’re in the same boat!
I don’t have a Mac, but if I do a spotlight search then reminders from 5+ years ago definitely exist in there. If there’s a way from my iPhone or iPad to just totally wipe anything older than a week or whatever then I’d love to give that a go to see if it works!

Edit: found a shortcut so let’s try this out and see.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 28, 2020

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

I don’t have a Mac, but if I do a spotlight search then reminders from 5+ years ago definitely exist in there. If there’s a way from my iPhone or iPad to just totally wipe anything older than a week or whatever then I’d love to give that a go to see if it works!

Edit: found a shortcut so let’s try this out and see.

NOPE! Turns out the utter root cause of this is iCloud is hosed. Delete all the completed reminders you want, iCloud will just helpfully spill them back to the device over the next few hours and the bugs return.

Also, because apparently they've gone all in on incompetence, they removed the "clear all completed reminders" button from iCloud AND the ability to select more than one at a time. So the ONLY way to delete them is ONE AT A TIME. For 17 THOUSAND entries.

Also, iCloud doesn't even show all of the lists. Yet, it's storing them because they'll restore from iCloud when you turn the syncing back on on a device.

I am pissed beyond belief now. To have a solution to this and yet.. nope, they removed the option because.... they're loving morons.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

CaptainCrunch posted:

NOPE! Turns out the utter root cause of this is iCloud is hosed. Delete all the completed reminders you want, iCloud will just helpfully spill them back to the device over the next few hours and the bugs return.

Also, because apparently they've gone all in on incompetence, they removed the "clear all completed reminders" button from iCloud AND the ability to select more than one at a time. So the ONLY way to delete them is ONE AT A TIME. For 17 THOUSAND entries.

Also, iCloud doesn't even show all of the lists. Yet, it's storing them because they'll restore from iCloud when you turn the syncing back on on a device.

I am pissed beyond belief now. To have a solution to this and yet.. nope, they removed the option because.... they're loving morons.
I wonder if Apple support can just clear out all your iCloud reminders manually on their site of things. Like, wipe the whole lot and start from scratch.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When they went live with the new Reminders format I suddenly saw some to-do items come back that I had not seen since I first created them in the .Mac or iTools days lmao

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

I wonder if Apple support can just clear out all your iCloud reminders manually on their site of things. Like, wipe the whole lot and start from scratch.

I sent a request for that, actually. I’ve actually got my own support rep assigned. Just have to wait until Monday for a response.

However, just turning off iCloud sync and reminders works snappy and perfect.

I don’t know why I didn’t think of that earlier.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

CaptainCrunch posted:

I sent a request for that, actually. I’ve actually got my own support rep assigned. Just have to wait until Monday for a response.

However, just turning off iCloud sync and reminders works snappy and perfect.

I don’t know why I didn’t think of that earlier.
I’d love to do that but I need my reminders to work between my iPhone and iPad sadly :(

Any time I’ve tried support before they’ve just asked me to phone them up and I’m usually too busy to sit on the phone to explain what I’d already tweeted them about. Really wish they hadn’t killed off live chat support.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

I’d love to do that but I need my reminders to work between my iPhone and iPad sadly :(

Any time I’ve tried support before they’ve just asked me to phone them up and I’m usually too busy to sit on the phone to explain what I’d already tweeted them about. Really wish they hadn’t killed off live chat support.

Well if sync isn't working to begin with at least you'd have it working in one spot... :v:

Anyhow, yeah, my ability to spend a couple hours on the phone and do all the logging is why I got my own personal support rep assigned. Apparently that's rare enough that they're not getting the data they need to track down this particular issue in a timely fashion.

As for live chat support, they do it though messenger now. It creates its own channel, I think you have to initiate contact through the Apple Support App. It's how all my other issues have been addressed for the last year or so. However if you are having the same issue I am, then I'm not surprised they wanted you on the phone to get your data to whatever team's working on this issue.
Good luck!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

CaptainCrunch posted:

Well if sync isn't working to begin with at least you'd have it working in one spot... :v:

Anyhow, yeah, my ability to spend a couple hours on the phone and do all the logging is why I got my own personal support rep assigned. Apparently that's rare enough that they're not getting the data they need to track down this particular issue in a timely fashion.

As for live chat support, they do it though messenger now. It creates its own channel, I think you have to initiate contact through the Apple Support App. It's how all my other issues have been addressed for the last year or so. However if you are having the same issue I am, then I'm not surprised they wanted you on the phone to get your data to whatever team's working on this issue.
Good luck!
Unfortunately even through the support app the only options are "Phone us" or "Give us a time to phone you".

Let me know if wiping all your reminders on the back end sorts the issue! If it does, I might just ask them outright to do that from the start. At the very least, it 70% works now and tends to sync from iPhone to iPad, just some reminders will come back to their old time after changing them and it can take 15-20 seconds after tapping the (i) to bring up the reminder editing options.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Will do! Hopefully that sorts it.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

In the calendar app on your iPhone, go to the single-month view. Make sure the rectangle with two list items hamburger-ish menu icon is not highlighed. Tap into a day that has an event in it, this brings up a view of that individual day with hourly markers. The rectangle hamburger-ish menu now shows three list items and no rectangle to look more like a normal hamburger menu. Now you get an agenda of all your upcoming calendar events.

https://streamable.com/dhn87

What a god damned palaver. Apple really needs to stop trying to make apps and software. They aren’t good at it.

This falls under the same category as “why can’t you fuckers just add tags and proper sub tasks to Reminders?”

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Since we're complaining about Reminders now, let's see what happens when you log into icloud.com and try to check one off.

:thumbsup: fyi I didn't highlight the text. That's just how it looks.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

CaptainCrunch posted:

Good luck!

Hahahahah I just spent hours on the phone with my personal support rep working on a Messages syncing issue that's driving me absolutely loving bonkers.

Sometime in early February, Messages on the Mac just... stopped receiving inbound. Phone and iPad sync everything fine. Mac can SEND messages, and both SMS and iMessages will make it through to the recipient just fine. I'll even see the three dots "I'm typing" notification when the recipient is working on the replies. But the Mac will not get the reply, no matter what. I can log into a different Mac user account that uses the same iCloud account and it will work fine THERE, but on my current user account, which I am not interested in wiping out and setting up from scratch? No dice.

This has worked just fine for years and now, without any changes to my Mac... it doesn't. Great times, love having to type long work texts on a loving phone screen.

At least the Apple tech and workflow for getting logs off of my phone and computer were decent.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has Spotify hosed up shuffle again? I keep getting songs from the same album in a row on a massive playlist.

I know that’s possible with actual shuffle but it never used to do that.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Red_Fred posted:

Has Spotify hosed up shuffle again? I keep getting songs from the same album in a row on a massive playlist.

I know that’s possible with actual shuffle but it never used to do that.

I’m experiencing the same thing. Started when this new layout appeared.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

smr posted:

Hahahahah I just spent hours on the phone with my personal support rep working on a Messages syncing issue that's driving me absolutely loving bonkers.

Sometime in early February, Messages on the Mac just... stopped receiving inbound. Phone and iPad sync everything fine. Mac can SEND messages, and both SMS and iMessages will make it through to the recipient just fine. I'll even see the three dots "I'm typing" notification when the recipient is working on the replies. But the Mac will not get the reply, no matter what. I can log into a different Mac user account that uses the same iCloud account and it will work fine THERE, but on my current user account, which I am not interested in wiping out and setting up from scratch? No dice.

This has worked just fine for years and now, without any changes to my Mac... it doesn't. Great times, love having to type long work texts on a loving phone screen.

At least the Apple tech and workflow for getting logs off of my phone and computer were decent.

This is also happening to me, I figured it was an ios/mojave issue, but I also don’t have such a terrible job as to have to type long work texts. I’m sorry for you.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've just found out that Chromecast can't support HEVC/H.265 and certain complex subtitle formats also don't work. nPlayer is super awesome for every other use case (including Chromecasting 90% of my video files), but is there another player that can re-encode those files to be suitable for use with a Chromecast? I don't fancy having to do a bunch of encoding on my PC before I load my phone up with videos if I can avoid it.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I've just found out that Chromecast can't support HEVC/H.265 and certain complex subtitle formats also don't work. nPlayer is super awesome for every other use case (including Chromecasting 90% of my video files), but is there another player that can re-encode those files to be suitable for use with a Chromecast? I don't fancy having to do a bunch of encoding on my PC before I load my phone up with videos if I can avoid it.

Plex. Has two components, server and client. The server can transcode files to a compatible format on the fly as you stream them to the client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Slash posted:

Plex. Has two components, server and client. The server can transcode files to a compatible format on the fly as you stream them to the client.
Doesn’t that involve having a machine running permanently somewhere as a Plex server though?