Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I'm not going to jump deeper into this argument but colleges do have job prep resources outside of strict academia

The fact that this guy got fired for not knowing how to software develop is kind of indicative of a cultural expectation that you be comfortable using the primary tools of your trade before you begin applying for jobs

Maybe the school doesn't need to teach people what tools/how to use them, but if not then only accept students willing to study/use this stuff outside of strict study hours at the ivory tower

I haven't written a blog post in a very long time but this is probably a good one to write about. I'm really really tired of explaining how to setup a github account, private keys etc to every new hire/intern

I guess the things that really annoys me about all this is that you can totally write Twitter For Zombies in an afternoon and post it to github using rando toolset XYZ. That alone will get you 60% of the way towards understanding basic workflow and SDLC. The fact that you care so little about your career/education to not have done at least this before working t a real company is stunning. I do not hire anyone who does not have some demonstration project without at least two commits. Doesn't matter to me that you can write a binary sort in haskell if you can't be a functional contributing member of the team within two weeks of starting.

Sounds like your onboarding and docs are really bad

Might want to invest some time in improving them

Or realize that as a more senior engineer a big part of your job is enabling juniors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you want to hire people that are already familiar with industry practices and can hit the ground running with minimal supervision needed, maybe you shouldn't be hiring juniors.

Are you hiring juniors because they're cheap? That's a false economy, unless you're just planning on exploiting people who don't know any better.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

barkbell posted:

it would be good to explore concepts of version control, containers, virtualization, etc. also using vim and linux extensively for interacting with school servers. what do i know tho.

vim doesn't provide anything special to a software developer over the many other extensible, customizable text editors out there. The only things that differentiate it are universal availability (important for sysadmins, sure, but not devs), and a steep learning curve that lets people feel really smart for using a text editor.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

vim doesn't provide anything special to a software developer over the many other extensible, customizable text editors out there. The only things that differentiate it are universal availability (important for sysadmins, sure, but not devs), and a steep learning curve that lets people feel really smart for using a text editor.

Hey man, if you can exit vim, you're set.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/iamdevloper/status/435555976687923200?lang=en

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Volguus posted:

Hey man, if you can exit vim, you're set.

*unplugs computer*

Success!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Space Gopher posted:

Not to take the editor holy war bait, but unless there are other modal highly-customizable text editors out there, then just plain modal editing is a pretty noticeable differentiator. I'm still very happy to use (g)vim for text editing needs because I can just do stuff much faster in it than any other editor precisely because it's modal and has easy macros.

But yeah, I very rarely evangelize for others to learn it because of that learning curve.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Re: editor wars, my favorite thing about walking into a 40-person team's massive JVM codebase of shared libraries was seeing that most of their tests would not run natively in IntelliJ without some finagling, and none of their source code was published with the libraries, meaning when you tried to cmd+click into a library from IntelliJ you got bytecode instead of source.

This is because the leads were all Vim-supremacy bozos with no use for such things, and the underlings had just grown up not knowing they didn't have to try and decipher bytecode to figure out what all the garbage libraries they had to code with were doing under the covers.

Our team did finally get their dumb Gradle plug-in to publish source code.

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 26, 2020

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’ve only been using Java for a few months, and I’m convinced that IntelliJ is Java’s killer feature.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
im really looking forward to the tortured explanation of why onboarding docs can't possibly exist and setting up a github login must be explained from scratch every single time

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I do think source control should be taught in college. Sometime in the very first semester. Professors can use it to grab assignments if they want. But most importantly it would save every student the hell of losing their work, or overwriting it, or ending up in the hell of “this worked six hours ago, why doesn’t it work now?”

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

lifg posted:

I do think source control should be taught in college. Sometime in the very first semester. Professors can use it to grab assignments if they want. But most importantly it would save every student the hell of losing their work, or overwriting it, or ending up in the hell of “this worked six hours ago, why doesn’t it work now?”

You think all CS professors are familiar with source control? :laffo:

Some might be, but in my experience it was a minority, especially among the crustier old lifetime academics with no industry experience.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

You think all any CS professors are familiar with source control? :laffo:

Some might be, but in my experience it was a minority, especially among the crustier old lifetime academics with no industry experience.

ftfy

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Fair point.

Edit: I still think students should be taught it early. It’ll make their life easier.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

lifg posted:

I did have a professor go over source control in one class - a graduate level software engineering class I was taking for a master's program.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
CS programs should simply reject anyone who's not already using Linux On The Desktop

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I will jump on the github demo project thing in a bit, that was a really good question, I want to stew on it more before answering

Jabor posted:

If you want to hire people that are already familiar with industry practices and can hit the ground running with minimal supervision needed, maybe you shouldn't be hiring juniors.

I honestly/absolutely believe that if you have a degree in CS or are getting hired for a full time software development job you should know how to use Git in TYOOL 2020. It's on par with hiring a truck driver and expecting them to know how to put fuel in the tank. It's not explicitly required for getting your license but you're gonna have to do it every day and I shouldn't have to teach you how to do it.

:iiaca:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Space Gopher posted:

I meant using vim in conjunction with editing files on a remote Linux server. And being comfortable with that. I’m not advocating for using vim as your main editor for development.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I will jump on the github demo project thing in a bit, that was a really good question, I want to stew on it more before answering

I honestly/absolutely believe that if you have a degree in CS or are getting hired for a full time software development job you should know how to use Git in TYOOL 2020. It's on par with hiring a truck driver and expecting them to know how to put fuel in the tank. It's not explicitly required for getting your license but you're gonna have to do it every day and I shouldn't have to teach you how to do it.

:iiaca:

I've got 13 years in the industry and I've never used git professionally and right now I couldn't do anything at all with it without googling everything, but even when I was fresh out of school I could have printed out a cheat sheet and gotten by.

Much like putting fuel in the tank it may be required for some jobs but also like putting fuel in the tank you can teach someone the basics in maybe 15 minutes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just out of curiosity what are you using

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Just out of curiosity what are you using
I've used SVN and custom versions of Perforce and Mercurial, none of which were learned in school.

I'm not saying schools shouldn't teach Git, my experience is probably not standard for new grads these days and version control in general is a good skill to have, but if someone can get a 4 year degree in CS from a reputable school they can probably pick up Git on the job without a ton of trouble. If you get someone who has never used Git just link them to https://product.hubspot.com/blog/git-and-github-tutorial-for-beginners and let them spend a few hours walking through it. Boom they are trained on Git!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

When I went to school a few years ago I had a junior level "software engineering" course a couple years into being introduced. It consisted of a group project where we were tasked with working together on a project of our choosing (greenfield, open source, continuing a project from the previous semester), agile concepts, scrum (stand-ups with your group in front of class, woo!), a "submit a GitHub PR" assignment, and the Uncle Bob's Agile Software Development textbook.

It was taught by a professor with a CS doctorate who worked in industry and focussed on getting students job-ready, accompanying us on local recruiting trips and sponsoring the CS club.

It was pretty ok, I'm not sure if I got more out of it than I did at my internship, but I imagine with refinement it would be a pretty "internship lite" learning-wise for the students who took advantage of it. It of course had all the headaches of a normal group project course, don't ask me about the GitHub contributors screenshot I bitterly took of the guy who didn't make a single commit all semester.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Jabor posted:

Are you hiring juniors because they're cheap? That's a false economy, unless you're just planning on exploiting people who don't know any better.

I would never have imagined that it would be controversial to suggest students should be taught skills and concepts directly applicable to the industry that they're about to enter, but here we are.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Jose Valasquez posted:

I've got 13 years in the industry and I've never used git professionally and right now I couldn't do anything at all with it without googling everything, but even when I was fresh out of school I could have printed out a cheat sheet and gotten by.

Much like putting fuel in the tank it may be required for some jobs but also like putting fuel in the tank you can teach someone the basics in maybe 15 minutes.

There's a huge difference in understanding between someone who was first exposed to Git 15 minutes ago vs. someone who was required to use it from the beginning of their four year university degree and that difference in understanding is very valuable. And yes, I know that some old fart in here will be all "BACK IN MY DAY", but I'm not trying to say it's NECESSARY, I'm just saying it's super useful and super valuable for an employee to come into the workforce already equipped with four years of experience using git even if it was just for their studies.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

There's a huge difference in understanding between someone who was first exposed to Git 15 minutes ago vs. someone who was required to use it from the beginning of their four year university degree and that difference in understanding is very valuable. And yes, I know that some old fart in here will be all "BACK IN MY DAY", but I'm not trying to say it's NECESSARY, I'm just saying it's super useful and super valuable for an employee to come into the workforce already equipped with four years of experience using git even if it was just for their studies.

The comparison was never between someone who just learned Git and someone with 4 years experience using Git as a part of getting their degree. It was between someone with 4 years of coding experience as part of their degree who just learned Git and someone who starting learning everything a few months ago in their bootcamp.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
given the relative lag of academia wrt languages, any (D)VCS coursework would be a bored grad student listing off RCS commands, a final exam entirely on mercurial, and you'd still have to ramp them up on git

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

I would never have imagined that it would be controversial to suggest students should be taught skills and concepts directly applicable to the industry that they're about to enter, but here we are.

A university isn't a trade school, though your confusion is understandable because there's a lot of pressure from business owners for them to be one since a lot of business owners don't want to pay for their employee's professional development.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I'm not really opposed to it but you're just gonna have a bunch of college students that have 4 years of experience pushing a single commit to master the night before a project is due

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Jabor posted:

A university isn't a trade school
:hmmyes:

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Jabor posted:

A university isn't a trade school, though your confusion is understandable because there's a lot of pressure from business owners for them to be one since a lot of business owners don't want to pay for their employee's professional development.

If you're not going to university in order to receive an education that will help you start a career, then what ARE you going there for? What are you paying all that money for? Curiosity? Fun?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You go to university to receive an education. You don't go to get training.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Higher education is its own reward. (Is it worth all that money spent on it? Hard to say, with the current trends of increasing tuition, larger classes, and fewer contact hours, but it definitely was in the past).

Ultimately a 4-year degree should focus on knowledge and skills that will be useful for your entire career and life, with just enough practical stuff to enable learning the lifelong parts effectively. The rest of the practical stuff (like flavour-of-the-month web frameworks) you can learn on the job easily enough thanks to those lifelong skills.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

If you're not going to university in order to receive an education that will help you start a career, then what ARE you going there for? What are you paying all that money for? Curiosity? Fun?

This happens in law school too. Don’t you remember that scene in My Cousin Vinny? They learn legal analysis in school, and learn the practice of being a lawyer at their first firm.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

lifg posted:

We had mandatory use of git for submitting coursework and the result was 95% this

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I'm not really opposed to it but you're just gonna have a bunch of college students that have 4 years of experience pushing a single commit to master the night before a project is due

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The practical reality is that to actually understand why various things are best practices (CI, tests, factoring out common code (but not over doing it)), you need to keep working on the same thing for a significant amount of time and to return to the thing periodically.

Given the push to homogenize and standardize education, this isn't happening until programming becomes a regulated trade and this is part of the education requirements.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

lifg posted:

I’ve only been using Java for a few months, and I’m convinced that IntelliJ is Java’s killer feature.

That's a bit sad of a killer feature when the same IDE basically exists for at least 10 other languages.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Thoughts -

My resume Goes

1.5 Years Freelancing (which I've kind made as a blanket for volunteering for a non profit website, building a few websites for myself, and doing a freelance gig)
4 Month Contract (Laid off)
4 Month Contract (Left for a FT Offer)
8 Months at a bad job
~ 1.8 Years where I am now.

I'm thinking of just lumping the 2x 4 month contracts into the 1.5 years. (there's some overlap with positions) Would make my resume look like:

2.1 Years Freelancing/Contracting
8 Months Bad Job
1.8 Years current job

Thoughts?

downout
Jul 6, 2009

huhu posted:

Thoughts -

My resume Goes

1.5 Years Freelancing (which I've kind made as a blanket for volunteering for a non profit website, building a few websites for myself, and doing a freelance gig)
8 Months at a bad job

I'm thinking of just lumping the 2x 4 month contracts into the 1.5 years. (there's some overlap with positions) Would make my resume look like:

8 Months Bad Job
1.8 Years current job

Thoughts?

I think that's reasonable. Freelancing can be quite a catch-all term, and I don't think it's unreasonable to lump very short contract terms under that umbrella. Also not unreasonable from a resume brevity POV which anyone reading it will appreciate.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

huhu posted:

Thoughts -

My resume Goes

8 Months at a bad job

8 Months Bad Job
1.8 Years current job

Thoughts?

Was it the same contracting company or different ones? I think you're right in how to present it, but if it's different companies it might be obvious you're clumping stuff. The ~2 years at the current position does help wash that away though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Jumping into this thread real quick: I have a interview tomorrow for a digital IC/RTL design position. At a couple of the places I've interviewed, they have had me meeting with either someone from HR or the recruiter at the very end of the day.

What is the purpose of this meeting? I've interviewed with this company before, and as I recall, the recruiter (same guy I'm talking to this time) basically asked what I thought of the company, team, etc. It felt like small talk.

Other than expressing my enthusiasm for joining the team, and maybe a question or two about benefits, culture, etc. am I supposed to ask or say anything else here?

One of the companies I interviewed at a few weeks ago was a startup, where of course the HR person demanded a number from me regarding my current salary (and despite using all tactics to avoid saying the first number they wouldn't budge). In retrospect I guess I should've just inflated that number significantly, but I'm still not sure how to do this whole negotiation thing, despite reading the negotiating thread.