Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

Yeah, up until Rotworld.

Swamp Thing was good after Rotworld too. Animal Man kinda petered off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I don't know what he could have actually done, but I know why he's on that list.
https://twitter.com/andykhouri/status/1103144587793559552?s=20

Well that makes sense.

I've known Andy for almost 2 decades and he's ways been the kind of guy who will stand up for what's right.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Well that makes sense.

I've known Andy for almost 2 decades and he's ways been the kind of guy who will stand up for what's right.

Yeah, I didn't recognize the name but when I googled him a comicsgate website with a "news" story about that tweet and how hateful it is to real comic fans came up on the first page.

Is he still an editor at DC, the comicsgate thing said he was an editor at Vertigo.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 24, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He is, he just did the Harleen mini. I'm not sure what he's working in right now. My visit to the DC offices 2 years ago was the first time we'd actually met in person, we posted on the same AOL boards back in the day and have remained in touch since.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The N52 reboot itself was a pointless mess that wiped out a bunch of fan-favourite stuff but if you take the 5-ish year period as a whole there were plenty of quality books being put out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Convergence was a pretty big nightmare as well.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Rhyno posted:

Convergence was a pretty big nightmare as well.

The Atom mini is still the best thing modern DC story telling has produced. The editor probably had one too many screaming arguments about how the public isn't quite ready for a Ray Palmer with A Giant Hand but then the stars aligned and a new world began.

Convergence was bad if you had been reading Earth 2, and can't imagine how nonsensical it was to other readers. It is a real shame because Earth 2 was one of the better books they were doing and Convergence definitely put people off of continuing it. Even after Convergence the idea that when Blue Guy recreated the planet and forgot to put natural resources on it was interesting at least.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'll never forget that story that Didio apparently thought Countdown was "52 done right".

I still think he overall did way more good than bad, but I was blown away that anyone with any sort of creative thought would have that opinion.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

Swamp Thing was good after Rotworld too. Animal Man kinda petered off.

Oh man you just reminded me of Doyle's Swamp Thing run. That was legit great. Animal Man started super strong, lost momentum with Rotworld being too long, and then....kind of meandered. It didn't help that Travel Foreman left the book around that time either.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Steve Pugh and Rafael Albuquerque were pretty good replacements.

Speaking of Animal Man, he's returning in the next JLD storyline :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 24, 2020

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
My opinion on Dan Didio is that he got a lot of poo poo that he didn't deserve but also he probably sucks anyways because these days it seems like most people suck, so good riddance to him

thank you for coming to my TED Talk

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

taichara posted:

People complain (reasonably) about DiDio pulling Cass Cain as Batgirl and putting Steph into the role, forgetting that it's also, IIRC, DiDio who was all in on the misogynistic mess that was making Steph Robin just to slaughter her and cause Batman manpain. Because he didn't like the character.

Also Identity Crisis. Just, Identity Crisis.

Lot of bodies praising his inclusivity now, but to me it just looks like at some point he learned which way the wind was blowing. And I'm glad he's finally bloody gone.

Steph Batgirl was good, though, and Cass had being The Black Bat to go to.

But yeah Didio thought it was a good idea to torture and murder one of the batkids and made her robin so people would care about it when she was tortured and murdered. And also made Batman go "Well it serves her right for being such a lovely Robin" when Steph got tortured and murdered.

Didio signs off on a lot of heinous, edgy poo poo that they end up needing to walk back on and it was a pretty consistent problem. HiC being the most obvious, recent example of this.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 25, 2020

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Steph Batgirl was good, though, and Cass had being The Black Bat to go to.

I have the Steph Batgirl trades sitting right here; I'm very fond of them and of Steph as Batgirl. But it's just as understandable that fans of Cass (I've never had much of an opinion either way, myself) were irked when it happened.

Sometimes I think DC pits fannish groups against each other like that deliberately. The whole Green Lantern thing *waves hands vaguely* is a great example.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

taichara posted:

I have the Steph Batgirl trades sitting right here; I'm very fond of them and of Steph as Batgirl. But it's just as understandable that fans of Cass (I've never had much of an opinion either way, myself) were irked when it happened.

Speaking as somebody who was both annoyed at Cass giving up the costume but came around on Steph, it felt very.. sudden and out of nowhere with Cassandra. Being Batgirl and arguably the only Bat-family member to genuinely want to take up Bruce's mantle suddenly deciding 'yeah nah' was off-putting at the time.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Wowsers the Hell Arisen #3 looks bad. People picking this up purely for Punchline are going to be hilariously disappointed.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

taichara posted:

Sometimes I think DC pits fannish groups against each other like that deliberately. The whole Green Lantern thing *waves hands vaguely* is a great example.
I mean, the original plan was for Misfit to be the new Batgirl after Cass (because gotta have a redheaded Batgirl for maximum nostalgia). It took Gail Simone, her creator, specifically lobbying the editors that that would be a goddamn terrible idea.

I think New 52 Wally might be a similar thing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
To be fair, I don't think anyone at DC editorial really tried to pit GLs against each other in the way Steph and Cass were. Instead, I feel like they gave a genuine effort at putting as many GLs in as many books as they could, which is how we ended up where we're at today: six active Earth GLs, all fully-developed. I mean, there was a truckton of Hal fetishism along the way, but that's definitely Johns's doing.

But yeah they were definitely the exceptions. The overall top-down direction for DC was "You can have A, or you can have B...but you sure can't have A and B at the same time. And then gently caress it, now you can't have either one because we want C now instead!" It was...pretty ridiculous.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

It's hard to be invested in the batjoker stories when the dude is as absurdly overpowered as he's portrayed. Hopefully he'll get some glorious comeuppance in death metal.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Laughing Zealot posted:

It's hard to be invested in the batjoker stories when the dude is as absurdly overpowered as he's portrayed. Hopefully he'll get some glorious comeuppance in death metal.

Honestly as much as love guys like Snyder and King and such, they have ruined Joker for me with his power creep. The whole 20 steps ahead and death tolls in the dozens if not hundreds just doesn't make Joker an interesting character and does more to make Batman seem completely incompetent when dealing with the Joker.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I guess I should have made clear that I was referring to the Batman who laughs, but that criticism still applies.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Parliaments have been reset (again). It's now always been: The Green, The Red, The Grey, The Rot, and The Divided

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I do wish we'd get clown-themed '30s gangster Joker back, at least for a while. Wild, cartoonish, and violently dangerous, yes, but more interested in doing crime than making big statements.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

catlord posted:

I do wish we'd get clown-themed '30s gangster Joker back, at least for a while. Wild, cartoonish, and violently dangerous, yes, but more interested in doing crime than making big statements.

Is he one of the THREE JOKERS that they're never going to do anything with?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My Joker, My Joker, and Me (the Joker)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There was supposed to be "big news" about the Three Jokers at the start of the year, which people assumed meant it was going to be... you know, solicited? Announced on a schedule? Some more details might come out? But then nothing in the past two months.

Johns said in December:

quote:

"But Three Jokers, Jay and I have been working on it and we're on the last issue now," Johns added. "It's three, double-sized prestige format issues. That'll probably be solicited anytime because we're near the finish line and we waited because we told DC we didn't want it to come out until we knew it would come out on time."

So who knows!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

catlord posted:

Silver age Joker is the best Joker.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Rhyno posted:

Is he one of the THREE JOKERS that they're never going to do anything with?

gently caress, I forgot about that bit of stupidity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe the new regime will just ignore it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Maybe the new regime will just ignore it.

Or, and hear me out here...

A Fourth Joker.

(apologies to Chip Zdarsky, but he deleted his tweet about it).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Or, and hear me out here...

A Fourth Joker.

(apologies to Chip Zdarsky, but he deleted his tweet about it).

He only deleted it because he was scared that DC would actually do it.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I liked the irony of the Joker berating Lex about staying in his lane in Hell Arisen right after the Joker managed to defeat a bunch of supervillains with a tommy gun including Ms. Martian, who, as far as I'm aware, is either bulletproof or intangible or both.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Dial H ended pretty good. Did a short jaunt of references through comic book history (particularly Marvel's). Also referenced the forbidden color of comic book printing that killed an entire market.

Suicide Squad progressing pretty nicely

Also Johns let Superboy Prime out while Bendis revived Checkmate

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Checkmate was the best intelligence agency DC ever had but they switched to using ARGUS and their primary when Big Chess flexed their muscle on them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Checkmate was the best intelligence agency DC ever had but they switched to using ARGUS and their primary when Big Chess flexed their muscle on them.

Max Lord became head of Checkmate when New52 came around. I think it only got vague mentions when Dick was in Spyral and in other books, but the last I recall Checkmate being given any amount of space was in OMAC.

btw, this feels like it's a little directed at the 4th wall

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Laughing Zealot posted:

Oh thank God, I'm not the only one who's noticed this. Like why on EARTH is he capable of fighting evenly in ANY CAPACITY against Cass or match wits with Ra's al Ghul? And yeah I hope they bring back mobster Joker.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

He only deleted it because he was scared that DC would actually do it.

You mean because they're letting him do it.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Even though Joker has become pretty much the most dangerous/evil being in the dc-verse he's not used to much as such.

Instead we get the laughing batman who's just Joker in a fancy judge Death ripoff costume.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm watching the Red Son cartoon, and it's been awhile since I've read the comic, but Superman didn't murder Stalin in the comic, right? He died from natural causes, like he did historically.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Suicide Squad is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I'm watching the Red Son cartoon, and it's been awhile since I've read the comic, but Superman didn't murder Stalin in the comic, right? He died from natural causes, like he did historically.

Not that I remember.