Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

loving cameraman just watching though. "Dude's probably about to drown in freezing water, better catch it on film. "

If you unmute it sounds like what could be his gf saying "you got this"

Maybe he is training or didn't want to be helped but yea God drat that was terrifying. When he missed the first one I said outloud "oh I'm dieing"

The dog was very excited to see him back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Getting some serious Blade Runner vibes here.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

zedprime posted:

Important crosspost

I bought some n95 masks a week or two ago, but I am not shaving until I actually need them. I haven't been clean shaven in many years and I'm not gonna start early.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

PetraCore posted:

6:45 pm is a perfectly reasonable time to mow the lawn, anyway.

Summers around here when there's a smog alert they usually say to not gas up or now the lawn till after 6 pm

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Taking a training course. Found something funny. Check out answer A:

:heysexy:

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

Why did I expect it to make a big GONG sound?

I will continue assuming it did.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Adam savage is back with another one day build

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

mmmm yes, cut towards the triangle of death.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Cojawfee posted:

Adam savage is back with another one day build

He's Adam Savage not Adam Safe-age.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Resting Lich Face posted:

Looks exactly like the hazardous waste training I had to do a couple of days ago

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Looks exactly like the hazardous waste training I had to do a couple of days ago

Flinn?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Grocery leadership training

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtFMVPJqAa4
this channel and this vid just came across my desk

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I did a PPE the other day and had a hell of a time coming up with a story to tell the triage nurse.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1232561119685832704

There's been another refinery fire. We seem to have them every few months now. I have :airquote:no idea :airquote: what could have happened that caused a spike in industrial accidents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxA1vb6P2lU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

OSHA IV: Personal Private Experiment

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I did a PPE the other day and had a hell of a time coming up with a story to tell the triage nurse.

Always go with "I slipped and fell on it while I was getting out of the shower."

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

zedprime posted:

Important crosspost

That is the literal reason why most militaries have a facial hair regulation so that the military masks seal. (also why hitler had the stache he did)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

KoRMaK posted:

Love the urgent cabin altitude alarm that just sounds a generic buzzer that's identical to a warning you normally only get on the ground

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

GotLag posted:

Love the urgent cabin altitude alarm that just sounds a generic buzzer that's identical to a warning you normally only get on the ground

there;s some sort of study or article or discipline that is about reducing the amount of warning lights and sounds and poo poo and I can't ever seem to find the right one. Bascially, in hospitals and cockpits turn the number of flashing beepy things down because it leads to alarm fatigue. I think it was called alarm fatigue but it might have had a cooler more specific phrase

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

there;s some sort of study or article or discipline that is about reducing the amount of warning lights and sounds and poo poo and I can't ever seem to find the right one. Bascially, in hospitals and cockpits turn the number of flashing beepy things down because it leads to alarm fatigue. I think it was called alarm fatigue but it might have had a cooler more specific phrase
Human Factors is the term you're looking for.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Human Factors is the term you're looking for.

That's the umbrella term but alarm fatigue is definitely used in regards to healthcare at least.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

That's the umbrella term but alarm fatigue is definitely used in regards to healthcare at least.
Aerospace too.

The latest generation of airliners has much more thought put into what should demand the pilot's attention.

Goldreallas XXX
Oct 22, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

This is mentioned in one of those amazing long form pieces on plane crashes from, I want to say William Langewiesche?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Aerospace too.

The latest generation of airliners has much more thought put into what should demand the pilot's attention.
Yes, the things I was tlaking about! Aerospace is a much better term than cockpit. You seem to know, is there a better, more esoteric phrase rather than human factors or alarm fatigue? Anyone got a good paper on how they reduce it, like what their process is?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Seconding this. I work in aviation software, and we have a whole style guide of Do's and Don'ts on all sorts of UI elements.
Colors have defined meanings, uses and, restrictions. Obviously, red is the most restricted, being used only for the most "oh poo poo" critical things.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

gently caress! :stonk:

My heart rate went up watching this lol

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Could he just stand up and break the ice? Though it's obviously strong enough to hold a person's weight. :stonk:

Kryostic
Mar 25, 2016

AlexanderCA posted:

Could he just stand up and break the ice? Though it's obviously strong enough to hold a person's weight. :stonk:

Might have just tired himself out more doing that. I've seen clips of better prepared people do this and they have a line running from one side to the other.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

xergm posted:

Seconding this. I work in aviation software, and we have a whole style guide of Do's and Don'ts on all sorts of UI elements.
Colors have defined meanings, uses and, restrictions. Obviously, red is the most restricted, being used only for the most "oh poo poo" critical things.
I'd like to see that style guide

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

xergm posted:

Obviously, red is the most restricted, being used only for the most "oh poo poo" critical things.

Such as "co-pilot cupholder extended, no drink present"?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

KoRMaK posted:

jesus christ the horror movie twist at 7:26 :stonk:

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Lazyhound posted:

Ended up being a flight attendant with a portable oxygen supply, who tried to save the flight...

...but failed, deemed unqualified for the circumstances. Eesh :(

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
For the second one, the Mayday/ Air Crash Confidential episode 'Deadly Silence' covers it and does it well.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

Just watching this in the departure area waiting to board a delayed flight. No biggie.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

f#a# posted:

Ended up being a flight attendant with a portable oxygen supply, who tried to save the flight...

...but failed, deemed unqualified for the circumstances. Eesh :(

Unmentioned in the video is that he radioed five maydays that went unanswered because he was on the departure airport’s ATC frequency.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/H2uvzhf.gifv

stump collector
May 28, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

I'd like to see that style guide

Might be able to find a power plant alarm design criteria for you

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

KoRMaK posted:

lights...flashing...beepy...alarm fatigue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1WemnsB98o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

KoRMaK posted:

Yes, the things I was tlaking about! Aerospace is a much better term than cockpit. You seem to know, is there a better, more esoteric phrase rather than human factors or alarm fatigue? Anyone got a good paper on how they reduce it, like what their process is?
Are you thinking of "caucophony"? There's a good article about it here:

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/sound-and-health-hospitals/