Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So Im gonna start a CF run? Should I recruit everyone or no one and maximize kiddie murder?

Recruit everyone because it's interesting seeing everyone's motivation to actually side with you. Also there's a great scene before the attack on the monastery where everyone shows up to support you and it's :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Blaze Dragon posted:

None and if anything, there's enough evidence to suggest he doesn't. His issues come entirely by the fact that he sees his Crest as the only part of him anyone else could be interested in, making it more than clear that he does not want to pass it along. Risking the birth of a bastard is something I can't ever see Sylvain doing.

he does have an advice box letter saying ingrid keeps complaining about him bringing girls back to his room at night, iirc.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
CF is the only route where it doesn't punish you to immediately ignore your students for others.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

capitaldelendaest posted:

he does have an advice box letter saying ingrid keeps complaining about him bringing girls back to his room at night, iirc.

I think he meant Dimitri actually. I'm pretty sure he's roomed next to him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So Im gonna start a CF run? Should I recruit everyone or no one and maximize kiddie murder?

Everyone you recruit will make it quite clear why they choose to fight by your side in chapter 12, and I think that's worth seeing at least once.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Oh, lol, that makes a hell of a lot more sense, sense the girls rooms and the boys rooms are in seperate areas

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also the church people seem to have more dud supports than your average student. Like, I love Shamir, but her supports spend a lot of time establishing that she's a mercenary from Dagda who's all business all the time and also not particularly devoted to the church, instead of actually exploring her character or letting her bounce off others.

Her best supports are with Dedue because they just fully lean into that element of both characters. But yeah besides a bit of history you learn in her Byleth supports, you don't really get a sense of her motivations besides "be a mercenary".

I did her S support on Blue Lions route and was a bit disappointed that (BL ending spoiler) you end up becoming the archbishop and settling in with the church, and she decides to stay there with you. I was hoping that with her history, and with Byleth feeling kinda like an outsider in Fodlan, they'd end up doing more traveling.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Excitedly asking jeritza for a duel to the death should give influence with him.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Eimi posted:

Recruit everyone because it's interesting seeing everyone's motivation to actually side with you. Also there's a great scene before the attack on the monastery where everyone shows up to support you and it's :3:

Yea I really liked that bit.

Also I wish people would stop calling the routes by the acronyms because at least I can't remember what they're all called.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

There's a few kids that are really interesting to recruit on CF, mostly the Blue Lions, but I also prefer leaving a bunch unrecruited as it makes the route have more impact in what you have to sacrifice to actually fix Fodlan.

The most interesting people to recruit to CF are Mercedes, Felix, and Lysithea. There's a lot of people with good content there though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

RevolverDivider posted:

There's a few kids that are really interesting to recruit on CF, mostly the Blue Lions, but I also prefer leaving a bunch unrecruited as it makes the route have more impact in what you have to sacrifice to actually fix Fodlan.

The most interesting people to recruit to CF are Mercedes, Felix, and Lysithea. There's a lot of people with good content there though.

Lysithea is an honorary Black Eagle anyway, you HAVE to recruit her. Also you better recruit Anne with Mercie.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Marianne is also a recruit option because she only shows up if recruited and has unique battle dialogue for part 2

I'd probably go with
BL: Felix, Mercedes, Annette
GD: Lysethia, Marianne, Leonie (for the paralogue with Linhardt)
and as much of the neutral recruits (Staff & Knights) as possible. Everyone but Alois gets supports with either Edelgard or Hubert and Alois has unique ending slides for this route.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
am I the only one who just doesn't care about Church people? I have my students to worry about, gently caress off Gilbert/Catherine/Shamir/etc

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

indigi posted:

am I the only one who just doesn't care about Church people? I have my students to worry about, gently caress off Gilbert/Catherine/Shamir/etc

Seteth is extremely good and should not be insulted.

The rest I can take or leave though. Except Gilbert who I would most definitely not take if I had the option in Azure Moon.

Not coincidentally, these two are in the extreme opposites of dadness.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I like Hanneman as the true hero of Fodlan. In his paired ending with Lysithea, he learns how to implant and remove crests at will, both undercutting any rationale for nobility and eliminating the brood mare problem making Mercedes and Bernie (and Sylvain) suffer.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I like having Hanneman, Alois, and Manuela around even if I don't want to use them on the battlefield. This would apply to Seteth and Flayn but they gently caress off for CF so c'est la vie.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

indigi posted:

i'll usually only use one or two as actual units but since their recruitment is basically free i always grab them just to see their supports and monastery dialog

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Eimi posted:

I like having Hanneman, Alois, and Manuela around even if I don't want to use them on the battlefield. This would apply to Seteth and Flayn but they gently caress off for CF so c'est la vie.

I like that they exist, because they make the story feel a little more full. It makes sense that there's more to the various factions than just recent high school/college graduates. That said, I don't care all that much about using/supporting them compared to my students. Hanneman is super boring. Shamir is hilarious but she'd be just as hilarious if she did the same stuff as a student. Catherine is good because she provides a nice mentor to a lot of characters, even if some of her story is dumb. Alois is amusing but kinda just exists in a meaningless way. Seteth and Flayn are awesome. Cyril makes me hate the game.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright let's say that after I beat my current Golden Deer run I will probably have somewhere in the vicinity of 60,000 renown points to play with.
If I optimized my character's skills and got everybody to C rank authority to use the OP storyline formations would maddening be bearable? Speaking from the perspective of somebody who doesn't deal with Dark Souls because my brain's 'pain/reward' ratio leans heavily on 'pain' but is finding Hard too easy despite holding back a lot of the time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Maddening on new game+ is a way, way different game than fresh maddening. You don't have EXP problems, and you start with battalions for your entire party right away.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Tae posted:

Maddening on new game+ is a way, way different game than fresh maddening. You don't have EXP problems, and you start with battalions for your entire party right away.

cheater

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It's not cheating if I make the rules.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Maddening on NG+ is a good hard difficulty setting. If hard feels like normal to you, and Maddening feel like it starts as Lunatic+, I think you will find Maddening NG+ entirely reasonable.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Yuri/Constance's paralogue is a hosed up mission, and the fact that most of the tips are basically "keep away exactly 6 spaces to prevent the reinforcement trigger" is some lovely design

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I only recruit students I think joining your side makes sense from a story perspective.
CF: Ashe, Sylvain, maaaybe Mercedes but only if you have Jeritza, Lorenz, Marianne and Lysithea. With the GD commoner trio as Ehs.
AM: Kinda hard to find anyone since AM is tied up in nationalism way more than the other two. I can kinda see Leonie being there for Jerald's sake, Maybe Raph as repaying a debt. And I'd bet Lorenz and Marianne were originally conceived as Faergus characters but as of now it's kinda awkward.
VW: Petra, Ferdinand, Ashe. With Felix/Sylvain/Ingrid I can see their territories throwing in with the Alliance but also feel they would stay with Dmitri till Gronder.

edit: Yuri goes CF, Hapi and Constance go CF and AM, and Balthus goes VW.

galagazombie fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 27, 2020

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I only recruit students if they approve of cats.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So does the Wayfarer only intertwine one couple? The UI made it seem like there's only one pairing you can force and doing another one overwrites it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I've never played a Fire Emblem, but I like tactics games (XCOM, Expeditions, Banner Saga, Into The Breach) and action RPGs. It's on sale so I picked it up. Any words of wisdom for my first play through?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

canyoneer posted:

I've never played a Fire Emblem, but I like tactics games (XCOM, Expeditions, Banner Saga, Into The Breach) and action RPGs. It's on sale so I picked it up. Any words of wisdom for my first play through?

Don't try to optimize everything, just play the game

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Pass certifications as early as you can get away with.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

canyoneer posted:

Don't play on Normal

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Tae posted:

Don't play on Normal

yeah if you're used to tactics games start on Hard at least

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
On Classic mode, if a character dies they are gone forever. Essentially everyone, including the devs, restarts in this situation; this isn’t the kind of game where you trudge on after somebody gets got.

I recommend Classic—there’s a rewind feature that makes it much more accessible than previous games—but you should know this going in.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

nrook posted:

On Classic mode, if a character dies they are gone forever. Essentially everyone, including the devs, restarts in this situation; this isn’t the kind of game where you trudge on after somebody gets got.

I recommend Classic—there’s a rewind feature that makes it much more accessible than previous games—but you should know this going in.

Especially with the tiny cast in this game, most Fire Emblem games give you some later recruits to help people who had characters die early but 3 Houses really doesn't.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Yeah the rewind feature is a godsend. I did my first playthrough on Hard Casual because I didn't want to have to restart and lose 30-60 minutes of time every time I got unlucky, but after you get like 5+ Divine Pulse charges it just never was an issue.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ometeotl posted:

So does the Wayfarer only intertwine one couple? The UI made it seem like there's only one pairing you can force and doing another one overwrites it.

I think you can intertwine as many couples as you want, but there's really no need. The list in the UI shows the prioritized order of pairings. Whichever couple is at the top is the couple that will happen, and whichever subsequent couples comprise two free characters will also happen. Just buy the 500 renown support points to shuffle your fave couples to the top and make them dine together.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think you can intertwine as many couples as you want, but there's really no need. The list in the UI shows the prioritized order of pairings. Whichever couple is at the top is the couple that will happen, and whichever subsequent couples comprise two free characters will also happen. Just buy the 500 renown support points to shuffle your fave couples to the top and make them dine together.

This is my last run and I have 60000 Renown to spend

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ometeotl posted:

This is my last run and I have 60000 Renown to spend

Spend it on ALL of the gimmick builds. Let Raphael be the magical dancer he knows he is.

Let Bernie wear her witches hat.

Let dorothea stab all the bad guys.

Let lysithea cap strength like that one guy.

Let your imagination be free.

Let lorenz of the bench

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Spend it on ALL of the gimmick builds. Let Raphael be the magical dancer he knows he is.

Let lorenz of the bench

RIP AND TEAR UNTIL IT IS DONE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

FoolyCharged posted:

Let lorenz of the bench

My friend I have done that on every run except the very first. I even used Raph as my Dancer in the Deer route.