Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Ixjuvin posted:

So I subscribed to Netflix for the first time to watch this but it's not actually available??? What is the "Netflix Jail" mentioned in the OP, how are y'all actually watching this. Googling around I couldn't find anything comprehensible about a release date, what is going on here

Netflix is dumb and doesn't release shows until the end of the season. Feel free to :filez: the hell out of it in the meantime, I know I am.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Dang, that's infuriating. Thanks for cluing me in, I felt like I might just be missing something hunting around the UI.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wow that mad scientist is on par as bad as the sorcerers.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ixjuvin posted:

Dang, that's infuriating. Thanks for cluing me in, I felt like I might just be missing something hunting around the UI.
Well, the Netflix version will be dubbed I think, so you do have that to look forward to when it eventually releases.

Make sure to check out Beastars when that is available as well, I think they're releasing at the same time or close to it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One thing I like is how it seems En and the gang are sometimes more the main characters than Caiman is. Like, Caiman was just kinda here this episode while the sorcerers did their thing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

One thing I like is how it seems En and the gang are sometimes more the main characters than Caiman is. Like, Caiman was just kinda here this episode while the sorcerers did their thing.
It's the one thing I've loved about the adaptation in comparison to the manga (no spoilers, don't worry) in that the Anime seems to realize that, while Caiman is absolutely part of the main characters, the early parts focused mostly on him and Nikaido, while in truth is that the series seems like it was always meant to be an ensemble piece.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Holy poo poo, Shin disassembled Hole's lines of defense all by himself. That's one reason why you don't do guilt by association. Congratulations to him for getting to first then second base in back-to-back episodes, I guess.

The baseball game was just as screwy and madcap as I was hoping for. I wonder what the deal is with Nikaido's admirer. My current guess is that he's some kind of weird duplicate of Caiman, because we don't have enough of those.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
My current theory (pure speculation, haven't read the manga) is that the reason Caiman doesn't have any memories is that he was artificially created from scratch. Some kind of magical creation with basic knowledge and speech, but very simple and childlike personality. His body is probably Risu's body, but if you dispel magic from it it'll go back to being headless, rather then giving Caiman human face.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like that Ebisu is an actual character now, but part of me does miss her getting Kenny'd every couple episodes.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oh for some reason I thought Amazon was getting this series. I’m glad it’s going to Netflix. I’m gonna binge Beastars in a couple weeks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So I was kinda mentally casting the eventual dub in my head at work today, and I think I came up with some good ones. It might just be Wataru Takagi, but I think Jalen Cassell would be good as Caiman. I've also got Ben Diskin as Fujita, Erika Harlacher as Ebisu, and I think I struck gold with D.C. Douglas as En. I'm kinda torn over Nikaido and Noi because I think Erica Mendez would be good for either of them and I dunno who I'd put as the other.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Erica Mendez would be basically perfect as Noi.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
These glorious madmen took an episode about The Blue Night, an event that happens once every 4 years, and broadcast it on leap day.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh god dammit, they did, didn't they?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Maxwell Adams posted:

These glorious madmen took an episode about The Blue Night, an event that happens once every 4 years, and broadcast it on leap day.

:eyepop:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I also forgot Ray Chase as Shin and Billy Kametz as Risu.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Maxwell Adams posted:

:wow:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I freaking love En. It's hard to hate a guy who is so attached to his kitty-cat.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I want that PIE shirt

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I want the shark costume.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

:same:

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Fukuyama, what the gently caress.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Think about his magic, think about the meat pie shop where he cooks and then think about the....willingness of sorcerers to experiment with unusual materials in cooking as demonstrated by En and the two shape-shifting assassins.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It’s a Cook Book how to Serve Man! Idk if this is true I hope it ain’t.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Now now, he's probably just buying a crate full of rats or something.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

7c Nickel posted:

Now now, he's probably just buying a crate full of rats or something.

Free Range Ethically Sourced Vermin.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Annointed posted:

It’s a Cook Book how to Serve Man! Idk if this is true I hope it ain’t.

I mean, it really is just En's power (and dietary habits) all over again.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This curse we learned: Noi had one hell of a late growth spurt

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fukuyama has very powerful magic, but I don't get the impression he uses it for work.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Think about his magic, think about the meat pie shop where he cooks and then think about the....willingness of sorcerers to experiment with unusual materials in cooking as demonstrated by En and the two shape-shifting assassins.

Every sorcerer probably had ended up being a cannibal intentional or not.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
This show feels like it's falling into a pattern. Here's a social event, wacky hijinks ensue, and then some small progress with the main story is made. Does the writing get better or is it more of the same?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That's the general pattern but the story can definitely go wildly off of that pacing. I'm not sure we're likely to see much of that in the remaining episodes of the anime though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

A slightly more accurate general pattern would be something more like: people participating in some bizarre worldbuilding -> worldbuilding leads to cute character interactions -> short term plot happens -> long term plot elements introduced -> next piece of bizarre worldbuilding

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Dorohedoro is a big story where the characters drive the plot forward, rather than the plot dragging characters towards it, so yeah a bunch of it is "character A wants to investigate the Big Horrible Event, but they also gotta eat, so we're gonna see that first".

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if people are clamoring for more main plot progress i suspect the anime is going to end right on the cliff of a whole ton of juicy plot-focused stuff. the slice of life-ness (for lack of a better way of describing the more character focused bits) doesn't ever really go away but it's much stronger at the beginning of the story, as the manga progresses the overall plot becomes a much bigger driving force than "an excuse to kaiman and nikaido to have a sorcerer world adventure." if you find yourself interested in where the story could go i'd definitely recommend reading the manga after the anime ends

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The combat music was particularly good this time around, feels like it must be the first time we've heard that theme.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I saw some clips of this on YouTube randomly and it was so weird I was compelled to go marathon the manga. It’s great, but it weirdly gave me Johnny the Homicidal Maniac vibes a lot of the time.

E: to clarify, just aesthetically, there’s none of JTHM’s Hot Topic philosophy in Dorohedoro thankfully

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 9, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/pikkuboo/status/1231336864331829249

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/funkyobligation/status/1236332542778920961